Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Using M28X Aero rims, need 700x23 tires that goes on without a tire lever.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Using M28X Aero rims, need 700x23 tires that goes on without a tire lever.

Old 08-30-11, 11:33 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 495 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by whoiswes
Sorry to bump an old post but I'm having the exact same issues - new set of GP4000's and I cannot get the front tire mounted on my M28X wheels. I spent two hours last night and couldn't even get ONE of beads on, let alone both. I was able to get the tire onto a Mavic CXP-22's without too much trouble, but absolutely no go on the Neuvations. My current tires are Vittoria's of some sort, can't remember the details - they go on relatively easy.

I was able to get the rear tire mounted, with some difficulty. I think I'll swap tires tonight and see if the tires are slightly different sizes. I'll also try soaping things up and/or lightly sanding the beads to remove all of the manufacturing waste (all of the little rubber bits left over from the molding process). If none of that works, anyone have any ideas? I'd hate to have to buy different tires and was really looking forward to trying out the GP4000's.

Thanks in advance
I had the same problem with my new 30mm Kinlin rims. I mangled a couple of levers, and had sore fingers before I was done, and I never had any trouble with my old rims. The tires had been on my previous rim, already "stretched". I was wondering if I would need to carry an extra long steel lever to change tires on the road! The rims have a very shallow center well, so there's not much slack when trying to pull the bead over the rim.

But with the right technique, I only need one lever to mount the tire, and it takes very little force. The key to mounting these tires is to just lift an inch of bead at a time, then slide the lever over. It's fast and easy.

See my difficult tire mounting thread here. It shows the method with a set of photos.

This is one reason the tire is hard to mount. The center well is quite shallow, even with this thin plastic tape. I even need a lever to mount the first bead, without a tube. That's tight!

Last edited by rm -rf; 08-30-11 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-30-11, 03:26 PM
mwandaw
Half Fast

Bikes: A road bike and a tandem road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
This thread has a lot of interesting advice, but why not go to the source?

John Neugent
Neuvation Cycling
142 Cross Street Suite 100
San Luis Obispo CA 93401
Toll Free 877-222-4519
Fax 413-480-3024
https://neuvationcycling.com/contact-us.html
Old 08-30-11, 08:14 PM
jeebusaurousrex

Bikes: Schwinns

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mwandaw
This thread has a lot of interesting advice, but why not go to the source?

John Neugent
Neuvation Cycling
142 Cross Street Suite 100
San Luis Obispo CA 93401
Toll Free 877-222-4519
Fax 413-480-3024
https://neuvationcycling.com/contact-us.html
Or just buy and use a $12 tire jack and end all this handwringing.
Old 08-30-11, 08:41 PM
pgsandiego

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought Neuvation wheels last year. Loved how they rode but they are an unbelievable pain in the butt to change a tube. Especially if you're gassed from riding hard. I did some research and found MANY people with Neuvation wheels have/had the same issue. Emailed Neuvation and they said they'd never heard of the issue (I have a hard time believing that).

I went back to my old, heavy, wheels and the Neuvations are hanging in the garage. Changing a tube is easy again.

I'd heard good things about Neuvation but I'll not buy wheels from them again.