Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Anybody know anything about this Murphy Cycles 'Marty' frame (lugged steel)?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Anybody know anything about this Murphy Cycles 'Marty' frame (lugged steel)?

Old 08-31-14, 02:48 PM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
One can only hope this does not get lost in the s**tstorm that heymatthew's last post is likely to generate?

Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
I don't know anything about the quality of the frames or the comapny, but, I think they look great.

The lugs are elegant but understated. I'm not a fan of the super ornate lugs. The TIG joins on the bottom bracket and brake bridges looks very tidy to me. The dropouts are beefy and handsome, especially on the Marty. The angled fork crown on the Seamus is very pretty. And the dropout/chain stay/seat stay unions look completely seamless and clean. As for the finish, I'm a staunch proponent of monochromatic powder coat, so that is a big win for my tastes. Kinda dig that mettalic sunflower too.
I almost hate to admit it here, but i do not disagree with you...

Been looking to build a grass-racer(ish) bike to use as a fool-around/commuter bike and am getting sick of shopping CL for the right old bike for its frame. While Mr. Murphy's(?) roadish stuff could possibly fill the bill...apparently smaller sizes like I need do not fit bryan8's marketing scheme, dammit
Old 08-31-14, 03:14 PM
heymatthew

Bikes: Nashbar SSCX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam
One can only hope this does not get lost in the s**tstorm that heymatthew's last post is likely to generate?
I apologize to you and anyone else that came here looking for information and found anything otherwise. I'm not trying to start a fight or be unreasonable or disagreeable at all. I was simply defending my right to have an opinion. Just as you and squidpuppet like the way these frames look, I find them to not suit my taste, although the more I look at them and compare them to other lugged frames, they are growing on me. Quite a lot actually.

I just felt that I was being berated because I had an opinion about something.

I apologize that I lost my temper. And as I said earlier, I'm grateful for the opportunity to learn and I admit that I did not know the difference between lugged and welded before this thread, but now I'm all the wiser for it.

In the best interest of the forum and this thread, I've removed my post. Y'all carry on. I need you guys to post some more stuff about these lugged frames so I can learn more about 'em.
Old 08-31-14, 03:34 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Is it just me or does anybody else's browser bugger out when they go to the Murphy page?
Old 08-31-14, 03:39 PM
heymatthew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
Is it just me or does anybody else's browser bugger out when they go to the Murphy page?
Mine does too. It works on my iPad with Safari but not my Mac with Chrome.
Old 08-31-14, 03:42 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
It works fine on my iPad with Chrome.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 08-31-14, 04:33 PM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Cute Boy Horse
Scrod is probably looking over his bike as we speak, searching for whatever must have gone wrong with it that you find it appealing.
lol
Old 08-31-14, 04:38 PM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
See, noobs? This is how it's done!
Shout out to open minded noobs
Old 08-31-14, 04:42 PM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Somehow to me this pic seems like the latest product from Apple Computer.
Old 08-31-14, 04:51 PM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by heymatthew
Y'all carry on. I need you guys to post some more stuff about these lugged frames so I can learn more about 'em.
Respecting dude's humility. C'mon y'all.
Old 08-31-14, 05:06 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by jlafitte

Somehow to me this pic seems like the latest product from Apple Computer.
iFrame
Old 08-31-14, 05:08 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
No matter which browser I use, the site works fine on my PC. *shrug*
Old 08-31-14, 05:14 PM
heymatthew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iFrame

If it were an Apple product it would be made from seamless aluminum and glass...
Old 08-31-14, 06:57 PM
Flatulentfox

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by heymatthew
If it were an Apple product it would be made from seamless aluminum and glass...
And use all proprietary non-standard parts and be impossible to upgrade and cost 8x what it is worth...

Would look good at Starbucks though.
Old 08-31-14, 08:22 PM
Cute Boy Horse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
An apple comparison doesn't quite work, their computers tend to last forever. Maybe if bike frames slowed down after three years you'd be on to something.
Old 08-31-14, 11:40 PM
MattoftheRocks

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts
So, this guy's "Reynolds" pig iron and 1/8" thick professional lugs would compare at all to a Maxway? ...to a 30 year old Miyata, Nishiki, Trek or whatever?
Old 09-01-14, 10:52 AM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Yes, I can't even get the ebay pics to load. Mac/Chrome...however, on my work laptop it works just fine.

Old 09-01-14, 06:16 PM
Cute Boy Horse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MattoftheRocks
So, this guy's "Reynolds" pig iron and 1/8" thick professional lugs would compare at all to a Maxway? ...to a 30 year old Miyata, Nishiki, Trek or whatever?
Lookit this weenie trying to eyeball lug weight.
Old 09-01-14, 08:32 PM
MattoftheRocks

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Cute Boy Horse
Lookit this weenie trying to eyeball lug weight.
Is there no prize for being within five grams?
Old 09-26-16, 10:28 AM
instrumentality

Bikes: Murphy (Marty)

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Murphy Frame (Marty) that I love. I have been riding it for a year now and I can't think of any complaints as far as the ride or the build quality are concerned. The frame looks great too. I called in my order and the customer service was great. The person I spoke with worked with me on building the order with the specific components I wanted and adjusted the price accordingly. They were flexible and informative. Everything shipped without delay and wasn't damaged or missing parts. I put this thing together and have ridden it every day since.

>>> Pictures Here <<<

I love the aesthetic of this frame (lugged / powder coated / spacer dropouts / thin tubing / no logos or badges), but I wonder why the bottom bracket isn't also lugged? That would be the thing (for me) that would really tie the look of this frame together. I'm curious if that was a stylistic choice or not? Any ideas? Also having more sizing options would have been be cool, but I understand how running a small operation would make this difficult.
Old 12-11-16, 03:20 AM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by instrumentality
I have a Murphy Frame (Marty) that I love. I have been riding it for a year now and I can't think of any complaints as far as the ride or the build quality are concerned. The frame looks great too. I called in my order and the customer service was great. The person I spoke with worked with me on building the order with the specific components I wanted and adjusted the price accordingly. They were flexible and informative. Everything shipped without delay and wasn't damaged or missing parts. I put this thing together and have ridden it every day since.

>>> Pictures Here <<<

I love the aesthetic of this frame (lugged / powder coated / spacer dropouts / thin tubing / no logos or badges), but I wonder why the bottom bracket isn't also lugged? That would be the thing (for me) that would really tie the look of this frame together. I'm curious if that was a stylistic choice or not? Any ideas? Also having more sizing options would have been be cool, but I understand how running a small operation would make this difficult.

Your bike looks GREAT man, very nice. Did you buy all the components from Murphy's? Tell us more about the build component/spec wise!

I have been considering one of their Marty frames for awhile now. Have some concerns with the weight. They do look the part though.

What was the issue with sizing? In between?
Old 12-11-16, 11:17 AM
instrumentality

Bikes: Murphy (Marty)

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Senrab62
Your bike looks GREAT man, very nice. Did you buy all the components from Murphy's? Tell us more about the build component/spec wise!

I have been considering one of their Marty frames for awhile now. Have some concerns with the weight. They do look the part though.

What was the issue with sizing? In between?
I bought the frame and the wheel builds from Murphy's. The bike came with a black fork but I swapped it out. At the time Murphy didn't stock chrome forks, though they do now. I also got a Murphy chainring(48t) but replaced it with Suguino Mighty Comp style chainring for a more classic look (48t Andel). Everything else I had from another bike build (not Murphycycles). The stem 1" quill is a Nitto Pro Jaegar. The handle bars are Nitto B123. The saddle is a Brooks Swallow and the brakes are dia comp. Seat post is generic.

Eventually I want to swap out the rims and hubs for a chrome polish instead of black. At the time Murphy didn't offer those, though I believe they do now. However, I want to give the front wheel build a radial spoke pattern. I talked to the guy that sold me the bike about possibly doing this, but he said they don't offer the style build. None of this was a problem however. Like I said before, the person who sold me the frame/components was incredibly flexible and easy to work with. He answered my questions and worked with me on the price since I didn't need a complete bike. The thing with the sizing is ideally I would prefer a slightly smaller (54cm) frame. It's nit-picky because the bike rides great and looks good too.

Does that cover it? Let me know if you have any other questions! Shout out to Murphy Cycles!!

Last edited by instrumentality; 01-04-17 at 11:22 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-04-19, 07:47 PM
Playinintraffic

Bikes: EAI Bareknuckle 51:18 + Ibis Mojo "Handjob"

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You can't even spell damnit correctly. Maybe you should hang out on an English language forum. He he he.
Pretty sure dammit is a common usage, whereas “damnit” is NEVER USED. why is everybody picking on this matthew dude? He’s acting pretty cool while everybody else won’t give up dissing him? Not cool!

I think you meant “damn it.”

;-)
Old 10-04-19, 08:59 PM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Playinintraffic
Pretty sure dammit is a common usage, whereas “damnit” is NEVER USED. why is everybody picking on this matthew dude? He’s acting pretty cool while everybody else won’t give up dissing him? Not cool!

I think you meant “damn it.”

;-)
Only 5 years too late.
Old 06-28-21, 10:50 PM
th3realmckay

Bikes: '14 Leader Renovatio, '96 Trek 1400, '88 Fisher Montare XT

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 34 Posts
Can we bring this back to life? Anyone with any miles on a Murphy frame out there?
Old 06-29-21, 02:24 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Interesting. The road frame is $199, fits 32+mm tires and even has rear brake cable stops. The rear dropouts look lower end than the track model but that would make for a great budget single speed gravel bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.