Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

SRAM 1:1 and Shimano's Rapidrise

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

SRAM 1:1 and Shimano's Rapidrise

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-05, 03:02 PM
serious

Bikes: Trek Fuel 98

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes the dual control stuff. Mind you, I am the first to say that dual control is not for DH type of riding. But low normal definitely should work well with the DH crowd.
Old 04-13-05, 05:15 PM
cryptid01
one less horse

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am a low normal advocate as well...been using the M950 series since 1998.

The relearning part is what scares most people away. The only reason some think it's bass ackwards is because they learned it the other way (or because they're drunk, heh). It's no harder than making the transition from thumbshifters to the first Shimano double thumb paddles to the triggers, dual control, whatever.

I am currently ruinning RR on one bike and regular on the other; it's no big deal.

I agree wholeheartedly with what others have said about the technical advantages as well.
Old 04-13-05, 08:47 PM
Dutchy
We drive on the left.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't see what all the fuss is about. But using Rapid Rise?, Dual control, Gripshifts or even road bike STI and most of them in the same week, I have never had any trouble throwing a leg over a bike and getting going. It's not rocket science. It all works for me.

CHEERS.

Mark
Old 04-13-05, 09:05 PM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow dutchy, haven't seen you in ages, hows it going.
Old 04-13-05, 09:41 PM
J-McKech
What?

Bikes: Bianchi Brava(retired), Surly Instigator(retired)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wasn't there a song made about Dutchy? You know, pass the dutchy dadadada or something?
Old 04-13-05, 09:46 PM
alcahueteria

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Soma Juice

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this has to be one of the most confusing threads I have read. So the shimano makes 1mm cable pull into 2mm of derailler movement. Low normal, is what is the "normal" way, not rapid rise. Rear Derailler Thumb shifters make it easier to pedal for these "normal" deraillers?
Old 04-13-05, 10:29 PM
DinoShepherd
cycle-dog spot

Bikes: Look, Niner, Ellsworth, Norco, Litespeed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano rant follows.

This company pisses me off in so many ways, I can't even see straight.

As a MTB rider with over 15 years experience, I have seen lots of crap come and go. The top-mount Shimano shifters were cool. Light and easy to work with. The first-gen Rapidfire was an abortion. The second-gen Rapidfire was just about as close to shifting Nirvana as is possible and was good enough for ten freakin' years.

So what do those idiots do, cancel it for another shifting abortion and then make the triggers work backwards. Shimano's product managers should be shot.

I am holding on to my 8-speed XTR shifters as long as they hold up and then am going with SRAM triggers. Which are good, but not as good as they could be because they had to dance around Shimano's patents on the upshift lever.

AAAARRGGGGHHHH!

-Z (Mad-Dog Spot)
Old 04-13-05, 11:12 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I hate Flippy levers and the only thing that should be Rapid Rise is yeast.
Old 04-14-05, 06:43 AM
TimB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DinoShepherd
Shimano rant follows.

As a MTB rider with over 15 years experience, I have seen lots of crap come and go. The top-mount Shimano shifters were cool. Light and easy to work with. The first-gen Rapidfire was an abortion. The second-gen Rapidfire was just about as close to shifting Nirvana as is possible and was good enough for ten freakin' years.

So what do those idiots do, cancel it for another shifting abortion and then make the triggers work backwards. Shimano's product managers should be shot.

I am holding on to my 8-speed XTR shifters as long as they hold up and then am going with SRAM triggers. Which are good, but not as good as they could be because they had to dance around Shimano's patents on the upshift lever.

AAAARRGGGGHHHH!

-Z (Mad-Dog Spot)

it's clear you can't see straight otherwise you'd see that rapid rise is clearly the better way to shift.
Shifting aboprtion....hee hee, I'd call gripsh*tters that..

anyone who's spent more than a passing flick with Dual control will realise quite quickly that there are several advantages over triggers shifters.
Like being able to brake and upshift or down shift at the same time.
Really it's quite easy...
Old 04-14-05, 09:27 AM
DinoShepherd
cycle-dog spot

Bikes: Look, Niner, Ellsworth, Norco, Litespeed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tim -

While I am pleased that the new levers/shifters are working for you. This opinion, however, seems to be in the distinct minority.

Braking/shifting has never been a problem with the old-style. As anyone whose "spent more than a passing flick" with them knows.

Its not the argueement over which is best. As that is clearly a dead end. What pisses me off is Shimano's refusal to let the marketplace vote with their wallets for what they really want.

-Z (Capitalist-Dog Spot)
Old 04-14-05, 04:15 PM
willtsmith_nwi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PWRDbyTRD
so why does it take 3 pushes to make it up the cogs with the shimano but only 1 with SRAM?
The front derailleur on newer SRAM Griphshifts are designed so you can cancel out cable rub with "micro-clicks". It is VERY useful. It is SO useful that a great many trigger shifter fans use the SRAM Gripshift strictly for their front derailleur.

For reference the actuation ration on front derailleurs are the the SAME between SRAM and Shimano. So even a Shimano lover can buy a front x-7, x-9, or x-10 front derailleur and match it with Shimano rapid fire or an integrated right lever.

Lets face it, it's IMPOSSIBLE to eliminate front cable rub across all your gear choices. That is why the lefty gripshift is so popular.
Old 04-14-05, 04:31 PM
willtsmith_nwi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by serious
I have the Low Normal XT setup on my bike and I have gotten used to it with few problems. I believe that Low normal is clearly a better setup, especially for recreational riders. If you are not an old dog who needs to learn new tricks, it should be a no brainer!

For non-racers, and most of us fall in that category, downshifting is generally more important (critical) than upshifting. Low Normal allows you to do that in a controlled manner - no need to soft pedal or hesitate. Just use you thumb to click your way into lower gears. And you can pre-click while coasting!

And khuon you have it wrong. Downshifting is easy and you can downshift several gears at a time. Just push the break lever way down. So when faced with a downhill section Low Normal can get you several gears higher in a hurry.

If you are objective about the whole thing, Low Normal makes a lot of sense. If you resist re-learning to shift, you will find a 1000 problems with Low Normal - most of them related to the fact that you are not willing to re-learn gear shifting.
I can see the merit of Low Normal.

On the pro side, I think that a Low Normal system effectively assists the shifting action since the chain naturally wants to derail onto small cogs. It also helps work against the tension in the chain.

You'll now be pulling to derail the chain downward. And as I said, thats where the chain naturally goes anyway. It seems like a low-normal system would be in better equilibrium.

Just remember that there is ZERO argument between ESP vs Rapid-Rise. One is an actuation ration, the other is direction of cable pull in the derailleur. It's 100% feasible that SRAM could release an X.0 Low-Normal derailleur (with grip-shift no less). Just remember though. You will lose the capability to grab multiple gears in once swipe with such a system.

Finally, just remember that you lose the ability in Rapid-Rise to grab multiple gears at one point. So 2 and three click upshifts are history.
Old 04-14-05, 04:39 PM
willtsmith_nwi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DinoShepherd
Shimano rant follows.

AAAARRGGGGHHHH!

-Z (Mad-Dog Spot)
Integrate THIS.

Well, they kinda HAVE to use Rapid-Rise if they want their "pod shifters". Otherwise, both the chain tension and derailleur spring work against the downshift to a bigger gear.

Those guys in the magazines XTRing me off would be sporting wrist casts from carpal tunnel if they had to "flip" against the derailleur spring.

Integrated is VERY much a gimmick to keep OEMs locked into Shimano. Triggers work great. There is NO NEED for flippers.
Old 04-14-05, 04:42 PM
willtsmith_nwi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimB
it's clear you can't see straight otherwise you'd see that rapid rise is clearly the better way to shift.
Shifting aboprtion....hee hee, I'd call gripsh*tters that..

anyone who's spent more than a passing flick with Dual control will realise quite quickly that there are several advantages over triggers shifters.
Like being able to brake and upshift or down shift at the same time.
Really it's quite easy...
Users experienced in both triggers and Gripshifts are perfectly capable of braking and shifting simultaenously. Besides, if your front brake is on the left, you can readily let up on the right to downshift. As for upshifting on uphills, no problem. You gotta be pretty dum to brake on climbs.
Old 04-14-05, 04:45 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
wiltsmith will you PLEASE learn to integrate your posts? You've got the last four.
Old 04-15-05, 01:22 AM
Dutchy
We drive on the left.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelstrom
Wow dutchy, haven't seen you in ages, hows it going.
Thanks for asking. I have been busy with work ;-( Apart from that everything is great. I just picked up a new Giant XTC on Wednesday so I can't wait for the weekend.

BTW I haven't hit any dogs this year.

CHEERS.

Mark
Old 04-15-05, 01:43 AM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good to hear. Dogs hurt ..btw nice grab, the bike should treat you well