Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

stupid exotic components!

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

stupid exotic components!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-05, 06:55 PM
Hopper
Ride bike or bike ride?

Bikes: MongoosePro DH, Dart custom road bike, .243 Racing FR street bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiyn
Tell you what. Find me one major name brand crankset that the manufacturer says on their website is designed to flex and I'll believe you. Stiffness has been a main marketing position since day one so I doubt seriously that a manufactuerer would design a crank to flex. Just find me some evidence
Internet has been down for a couple of days but I'm back. And I am willing to say that no I haven't been able to find any crankset or remember any that are designed to flex. I am willing to admit I have made a mistake, however I do for some reason remember hearing it somewhere so maybe there are but at the moment I am willing to say I am probably incorrect.

As for lifespan yes some racing components aren't going to have a long lifespan, XT is renowned for being longlasting and still quality. However XTR has quality, it won't last as long as the XT, to make it lighter and higher quality, something has to be sacraficed.
Old 04-25-05, 09:24 PM
harov3
Dismember

Bikes: Kona Kikapu/hoss deluxe mix, 1950's Malvern Star gent 28" turned into a stealth commuter with drums and a three speed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimB
the reality in life is that all things flex. Nothing is absolutely rigid. thats Impossible.
When they stiff they mean stiff by industry std's or when judged against the competition.
XTR M960 cranks do flex a little, and thats simply because an infinately rogod material has not been invented yet.

Back to MTBR.com and the reviews.
Most reviews there are ridiculous anyways. What are they judging the components against, persoanl experience and that soretty subjective.
Also some of those guys I swear work for the companies of the components they review

Tims right, there is nothing thats completely rigid. Rigidity as applied to MB components is a matter of perception, some components feel rigid others dont. I dont see much point in designing flex into components like cranksets but components like frames and wheels may benifit from flex. A wheelset that flexes will absorb more punishment without breaking than a similar wheelset that is more rigid. A MB frame may benifit from the same approach. The trick would be to design just enough flex in that it helped absorb impact without feeling flexy. Frames on race motorcycles (moto-gp) are designed to flex under power to aid cornering speed, do MB frames flex? yeah!....Is it designed in and benificial? dont know...good subject for mech engineering thesis.
Old 04-26-05, 04:55 AM
TimB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hopper
Internet has been down for a couple of days but I'm back. And I am willing to say that no I haven't been able to find any crankset or remember any that are designed to flex. I am willing to admit I have made a mistake, however I do for some reason remember hearing it somewhere so maybe there are but at the moment I am willing to say I am probably incorrect.

As for lifespan yes some racing components aren't going to have a long lifespan, XT is renowned for being longlasting and still quality. However XTR has quality, it won't last as long as the XT, to make it lighter and higher quality, something has to be sacraficed.

No Mech thesis needed.
All components are designed to flex. Flex hasto happen because to achieve a rigid structure the stress in the material would exceed the Ultimate strenght of the material, the component would not last long is this design method was used.

So engineers decide that the they want a little bit of deflection so they can predict the stresses and thus make the component last a long time.
So all things are designed to flex, some more than others, ie springs must flex continuously for many years before failing whereas I beams used to keep buildings from falling over must have minimal flex or deflection along their length for the life of the building.
The key word is fatigue.

AS for XT out lasting XTR, this is a common myth. Although XTR is much more expensive and lighter, it lats just as long as XT and in most cases longer.
Th reason is that it's designed to handle the rigors of a stronger rider and transmit more power. It's more expensive because it's made in lower volume with higher labour input. For all intents and purposes many mechanisms are shared.

For instance the Dual Control shifters of XT and XTR share a common mechanism but the XTR is removed fromteh assembly line to have an extra bearing fitted. That Extra operation costs money.
Same with the New SRAM X.0 stuff, very expensive due to the large amount of labour that goes into the manufacture.
Just because something is lighter does not mean it's weaker and won;t last.
Materials and design play a large role here.

XTR definately has the longevity to rival XT in a lifecycle cost analysis.
Old 04-26-05, 05:34 AM
harov3
Dismember

Bikes: Kona Kikapu/hoss deluxe mix, 1950's Malvern Star gent 28" turned into a stealth commuter with drums and a three speed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=TimB]No Mech thesis needed.
All components are designed to flex. Flex hasto happen because to achieve a rigid structure the stress in the material would exceed the Ultimate strenght of the material, the component would not last long is this design method was used.

So engineers decide that the they want a little bit of deflection so they can predict the stresses and thus make the component last a long time.
So all things are designed to flex, some more than others, ie springs must flex continuously for many years before failing whereas I beams used to keep buildings from falling over must have minimal flex or deflection along their length for the life of the building.
The key word is fatigue.QUOTE]

Hmmmmm........................Your not an engineer are you Tim.
Old 04-26-05, 09:10 AM
sparks_219 

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Instinct, Cannondale Six13, Cervelo One

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For instance the Dual Control shifters of XT and XTR share a common mechanism but the XTR is removed fromteh assembly line to have an extra bearing fitted. That Extra operation costs money.
Same with the New SRAM X.0 stuff, very expensive due to the large amount of labour that goes into the manufacture.
The company may put a little more labour and parts as well as a bit more R&D time into their higher end products. However, the amount of money put into the extras do not add to what they demand (usually 100% more). Companies usually use a skimming pricing strategy to create a perception of much higher quality where in fact the parts may only be marginally better.

Back to the topic, I dont think any company HAVE to scarifice durability for lighter weight. The lighter weight can be achieved by using a better manufacturing process such as cold forging. So in most case scenerios, I would say XTR would be just as rugged and durable as the XT level components.

Last edited by sparks_219; 04-26-05 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-26-05, 03:19 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

AS for XT out lasting XTR, this is a common myth. Although XTR is much more expensive and lighter, it lats just as long as XT and in most cases longer.
Th reason is that it's designed to handle the rigors of a stronger rider and transmit more power.
That's hasn't been my experience and the latter bit is pure garbage
Just because something is lighter does not mean it's weaker and won;t last.
Just because something is more expensive doesn't make it better either
Materials and design play a large role here.
Yes they do, however there isn't enough of a weight savings to justify the added expense

XTR definately has the longevity to rival XT in a lifecycle cost analysis.
Based on what you're saying if XTR lasts just as long as XT how precisely does spending the extra money on something that won't last any longer rival something that's cheaper in the "cost analysis"
Seems to me that the minimal weight savings and added expense would make it LESS attractive. Unless all you care about is the bling factor