Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

'85 Pinarello Montello

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

'85 Pinarello Montello

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-15, 01:05 PM
santambrogio

Bikes: Parlee Z0D, Mondonico Foco, Pinarello Montello

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
'85 Pinarello Montello

[IMG]2012-10-01 14.12.24 by sant_ambrogio[/IMG]

Rode many miles on this, now replaced, considering using it a indoor bike trainer mule as I watch TV. Lots of work in getting 3 Regina freewheels to get one 12 24 gearing freewheel. What would be a good trainer to use, I have Kreitler rollers but for this I would look in the easier fixed trainers.

Last edited by santambrogio; 01-12-15 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-12-15, 01:09 PM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Nice bike! Too nice for trainer duty IMHO...
Old 01-12-15, 02:09 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
I agree! Too nice to be put out to pasture! Is there a dent/deformation in the TT just behind the front cable entering the tube??
Old 01-12-15, 03:29 PM
JReade

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Part that bad boy out and get yourself something from bikesdirect for a trainer bike...and pocket the profit.
Old 01-12-15, 04:45 PM
santambrogio

There is not a dent, the paint is badly chipped because the frame is all chromed and the paint does not stick well to the chrome. I fantasize about restoring the bike and even bought some new stickers. The other bike fits better, it was custom built. The Pinarello handled beautifully, fast steering.

I am concerned that the trainers that clamp on the rear drop outs might damage the drop outs exterior surfaces, I never used a rear drop out clamp trainer, do they damage the frame?

I want to keep the bike, too many miles and memories on it, and a lot maintenance work on my part, better looking in the living room than a plastic gym trainer.

Last edited by santambrogio; 01-13-15 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-12-15, 05:25 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 272 Posts
I like the paint a lot; not bad at all with a bit of wax and foresight. I do like bikes/machines that show their age proudly. If it were me I might use it on a set of rollers, hang it in the shop, and take it for the occasional (real) spin at the very least. Wouldn't relegate it to a trainer. That's beater territory and that your Pin is not.

Tough to feel handling on a trainer.

Your Mondonico is beautiful, btw.

"The Pinarello handled beautifully, fast steering."
Why is this in the past tense?
Old 01-12-15, 05:45 PM
Spaghetti Legs 

Bikes: Numerous

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 1676 Post(s)
Liked 3,084 Times in 911 Posts
Not only would it be a shame to put a nice bike like that on a trainer, it wouldn't be too long before it turned into a rust bucket. It's always good to have a spare road bike though. I should know I have 4 or 5 spares.
Old 01-13-15, 10:09 AM
santambrogio

Originally Posted by Sir_Name
I like the paint a lot; not bad at all with a bit of wax and foresight. I do like bikes/machines that show their age proudly. If it were me I might use it on a set of rollers, hang it in the shop, and take it for the occasional (real) spin at the very least. Wouldn't relegate it to a trainer. That's beater territory and that your Pin is not.

Tough to feel handling on a trainer.

Your Mondonico is beautiful, btw.

"The Pinarello handled beautifully, fast steering."
Why is this in the past tense?
I have not ridden the Pinarello since 2007, that explains the past sense, you can see that the bike has no pedals and tires. Some context needs to explained.

In 1978 I started as a student at a university that has a bike race tradition called Beer Bike. Freshmen year I did not make the Beer Bike team riding a Sears Free Spirit, I tried to keep up with the team. The target was to keep a 23 mph speed to get all the green lights on Main St. around 10:00 pm, the engineering students figured this timing out. The captain of the team rode a Cinelli, there was a bike shop in the basement of the dorm. After the first training ride on Main St. the rear tire casing split from the wire bead, not discouraged I sew it back to the casing with some fishing line in my dorm room. I was also unable to maintain the 23 mph speed average and hit the green lights on Main St.

After the first failed training ride I felt in need to improve my performance. I took the Sears Free Spirit (which was painted in flat black Rust Oleum to cover the rust from 2 -3 years of riding to high school along the gulf) to the bike shop in the dorm, there I rebuilt the free wheel with Phil Wood grease supplied by the dorm bike shop. Upon completion and after returning the now dirty Phil Wood tube to the bike shop I explained the Cinelli riding bike captain that due to this overhaul my performance should improve. I did not make the 1979 Beer Bike team.

After graduation and some years of working in the early '90's and after riding a Bianchi (987 Campy?) I bought the Pinarello, used from a shop on San Vincente Blvd., got serious riding, and was amazed by the handling of the Pinarello compared to the non Columbus (Falco tubes?) Bianchi. During these 10 years of Pinarello riding I learned a lot about lugged construction, rebuilding Regina freewheels so that the gearing matched my fitness, rec.bicyles.tech and Jobst Brandt, building wheels, Mavic and DT spokes.

In 2007 at the 50th anniversary of the Beer Bike race I thought I might be good to achieve something that I failed to do my freshmen year in 1978, enter the Beer Bike race as an alumni. At that time I was at pretty good level of fitness, centuries, canyons, Big Bear and Solvang. Flew the Pinarello and myself to the bike track and trained on the track the day before. Alma mother pride, an alumni competing for his team on a period correct bike, class of '86, '85 Pinarello Montello.

The race was cancelled, a student overdosed the night before, passed, the university decided to cancel the race.

Last edited by santambrogio; 01-13-15 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-13-15, 10:32 AM
Sir_Name 

Sad end to a neat story.
Old 01-13-15, 10:42 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

I agree with the sentiments about not using it as a trainer, but..... The Cyclops I have actually replaces the skewer with one matched to the interface of the "Clamp". No interface with the frame DO at all, perfectly save to use on any bike. Any issues you may have are related to the tire and the roller wrt sound and traction.

Bummer experience at the Alma Mater! Why good people must suffer for poor decisions of one person is beyond my comprehension. Compassionate to whom, the many or the one?

Yours in considerably better condition than my 91! All the Pin decals are gone.
[IMG]P1020128 by superissimo_83, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by SJX426; 01-13-15 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-13-15, 10:57 AM
santambrogio

Originally Posted by SJX426
I agree with the sentiments about not using it as a trainer, but..... The Cyclops I have actually replaces the skewer with one matched to the interface of the "Clamp". No interface with the frame DO at all, perfectly save to use on any bike. Any issues you may have are related to the tire and the roller wrt sound and traction.

Bummer experience at the Alma Mater! Why good people must suffer for poor decisions of one person is beyond my comprehension. Compassionate to whom, the many or the one?

Yours in considerably better condition than my 91! All the Pin decals are gone.
[IMG]P1020128 by superissimo_83, on Flickr[/IMG]
Thanks, I will will look at the Cyclops, your suggestion addresses the original question.

In the end I am trying, after several life difficulties, to reconnect with cycling and positive experiences and good memories that will motivate to more training and riding. I patched 3 tubes and one clincher last night.

Last edited by santambrogio; 01-13-15 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-13-15, 11:02 AM
SJX426 

@santambrogio - Don't listen to anyone but your own consul. Keep it and use it to find connection with happy times. I know what that is like and biking is one of my favorite links. I may take one to the grave with me!

Congrats on the patches! I haven't patched a tubular in several decades! I am due. There is also the option to send it to Tire Alert.
Old 01-13-15, 11:45 AM
santambrogio

Originally Posted by SJX426
@santambrogio - Don't listen to anyone but your own consul. Keep it and use it to find connection with happy times. I know what that is like and biking is one of my favorite links. I may take one to the grave with me!

Congrats on the patches! I haven't patched a tubular in several decades! I am due. There is also the option to send it to Tire Alert.
Correction here, never used tubulars, In fact when the Pinarello was bought the rims were replaced by Mavic clincher rims. What was fixed is described here:

I have not ridden since September, yesterday it rained. Excuses: new job and family issues.

Today was very wet, debree sticks to wet tires, so I had three flats. No. 1 slow leak on the rear, I felt the tire go soft for the last 10 miles, I did not want to change the tube so I reinflated it with the mini pump. No. 2 front, checked the tire exterior for cuts and embedded debris did not find anything major, replaced with tube no. 1 and used cartridge no.1. No. 3 less than a mile from flat No. 2 the front goes flat again, stopped in a good place and checked more carefully the front clincher, I removed some debris from cuts, cartridge No. 2 used, tube No. 2 used.

The front clincher is a Veloflex, I never liked the tire it is too thin, it sat for years in the closet and I wanted to use it up, my road expert friends tell mo how good the Veloflex are, and that I should give them another chance, I did. I am happy with the 700c 23mm Vittoria CX's that I have been using for years, they are slightly thicker and I think that the high thread count makes them harder for debris to penetrate them.

2 tubes used, 2 CO2s cartridges used.

What I carry:

Small multi tool.
1 plastic tire lever.
Box of self adhesive Park patches.
Presta Shrader adaptor, very small.
2 700c tubes
Mini pump Silca circa 6" long.
Very small CO2 inflator.
2 CO2 cartridges.
1 Park clincher tire boot credit card size, great to repair big clincher cuts

Might seem a lot of stuff, the under the saddle bag is 5" x 4" x 4". Wife is not available at this to rescue me, so I carry the extra tube in the jacket.

Last edited by santambrogio; 01-13-15 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-13-15, 11:59 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by santambrogio

I have not ridden since September, yesterday it rained. Excuses: new job and family issues.
In Southern California, if it is raining or a chance of, or if the temps are below 50°F folk just don't ride.

Maybe because the shops don't stock rain gear and full fingered gloves, Winter shoes.

After I found a pair of lined winter shoes… nice toasty feet in the cold.
Old 01-13-15, 12:16 PM
santambrogio

Originally Posted by repechage
In Southern California, if it is raining or a chance of, or if the temps are below 50°F folk just don't ride.

Maybe because the shops don't stock rain gear and full fingered gloves, Winter shoes.

After I found a pair of lined winter shoes… nice toasty feet in the cold.

True,

Saturday it rained and I watched TV. Sunday was wet as described above, saw about 3 or 4 cyclists on a 50 mile ride, then again I have not ridden since September.

Wore booties that I have not used in years, they did their job, but in the process the waterproof layer peeled off, old stuff fails.
Old 01-13-15, 07:08 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs
It's always good to have a spare road bike though. I should know I have 4 or 5 spares.

this.
Old 01-13-15, 08:49 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
I've seen just too many great bikes die a slow corrosive death by trainer and always wondered what the owner could be thinking....... Please spare this classic beauty from possibly the same fate....... lots of cheaper, less "significant" bikes out there you can set up good enough to do proper trainer duty
Old 01-14-15, 05:11 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
You should have not issues with mounting this in a Cyclops trainer. I have a Cyclops Mag with remote adjust. It comes with a steel ended QR which replaces the stock QR and the trainer's clamps touch their QR - don't touch the frame at all. I'd say that riding that fine bike on a trainer is better than stashing it in the back of the garage or in the attic. At least you are enjoying it a bit. Nothing is forever. You can take it out of the trainer in about 30 seconds.

I understand that the primary threat to the bike is sweat dripping from you onto the frame and you not cleaning it off. I've suspended a towel above the TT from the bars to the seat post which shields the frame on my Moto. I also keep a towel handy (you DO know where your towel is, eh? Good man) so I keep the sweat mopped up prior to it even dropping on the towel.

I do not find the mag trainer loud at all. I either run ear bud music or use the stereo in the other room. I have an old tire on the back but I'm not too sure about the stories of fast wear - it never even warms up. no black dust around the rear. I don't think that tire is wearing a bit and it's old.

I 'adjusted' my mag trainer by taking it apart and fitting a couple of washers behind the magnet - this closes the gap between the magnet and the induction disk, thus cranks up the braking force. I CANNOT turn this rig when dialed all the way up. IOW it now provides all the resistance I need for training. I like the stationary since I don't think about balance and can focus on seating position (rolled forward, straight back, eyes up) and pedaling technique, one legged exercises, lots of time in the drops for stretching out my back. Good training.

Don't get me wrong: I hate the trainer but with the cold, ice and the road salt (granular, saltwater and fine salt dust all over the place) I cannot bring myself to take a nice bicycle out there. Counting the weeks left......... BTW the Cyclops mag was $50 via CL. No need to spend big money on a new one. Lots of other folks out there do that and then don't use them.
Old 01-14-15, 06:21 PM
santambrogio

Originally Posted by Prowler
You should have not issues with mounting this in a Cyclops trainer. I have a Cyclops Mag with remote adjust. It comes with a steel ended QR which replaces the stock QR and the trainer's clamps touch their QR - don't touch the frame at all. I'd say that riding that fine bike on a trainer is better than stashing it in the back of the garage or in the attic. At least you are enjoying it a bit. Nothing is forever. You can take it out of the trainer in about 30 seconds.

I understand that the primary threat to the bike is sweat dripping from you onto the frame and you not cleaning it off. I've suspended a towel above the TT from the bars to the seat post which shields the frame on my Moto. I also keep a towel handy (you DO know where your towel is, eh? Good man) so I keep the sweat mopped up prior to it even dropping on the towel.

I do not find the mag trainer loud at all. I either run ear bud music or use the stereo in the other room. I have an old tire on the back but I'm not too sure about the stories of fast wear - it never even warms up. no black dust around the rear. I don't think that tire is wearing a bit and it's old.

I 'adjusted' my mag trainer by taking it apart and fitting a couple of washers behind the magnet - this closes the gap between the magnet and the induction disk, thus cranks up the braking force. I CANNOT turn this rig when dialed all the way up. IOW it now provides all the resistance I need for training. I like the stationary since I don't think about balance and can focus on seating position (rolled forward, straight back, eyes up) and pedaling technique, one legged exercises, lots of time in the drops for stretching out my back. Good training.

Don't get me wrong: I hate the trainer but with the cold, ice and the road salt (granular, saltwater and fine salt dust all over the place) I cannot bring myself to take a nice bicycle out there. Counting the weeks left......... BTW the Cyclops mag was $50 via CL. No need to spend big money on a new one. Lots of other folks out there do that and then don't use them.

Thank for the Cyclops suggestion, it exactly what I was looking for. At 55 years old and not riding since September I am looking for an easy way to get same daily training. Up until a few years ago I relied on Kreitler rollers, now I want something easier, set up and ready to use after or before work. As mentioned before I want to use the old bike and not buy a gym cycle trainer, they are ugly. big and exoensive. Adding pedals, tires and tubes to the Pinarello will also allow me to ride on the road again.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
MONDONICO_05.jpg (99.2 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg
2012-10-01 14.12.55.jpg (96.6 KB, 178 views)

Last edited by santambrogio; 01-14-15 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-14-15, 07:09 PM
Sir_Name 

Good post, Prowler. Enjoy, santambrogio!
Old 01-15-15, 04:28 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Thank for the Cyclops suggestion, it exactly what I was looking for.
Glad I could help a little. I should mention that my Cycleops ( I did misspell it before, huh?) is the mag trainer with the cable that routes up to the handlebars so I can adjust the braking force as I go along. I usually start out lightly braked, increase it as I warm up, sometimes vary it during the session then back down for a cool off and for one legged foolishness. I'm glad I got the 'remote' adjuster and use it frequently. Mine is mounted to the TT. Easy to remove if the Mirage is going out to play.
Old 07-11-20, 09:03 AM
Timtoolman340

Bikes: '69,72,75 Raleigh Professional. '72,'78 Raleigh Competition. '72,'74 Raleigh International. '85,'89 Pinarello Montello

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought an '85 frameset. No pump peg, single logo on front of seatpost. My replacement decals say "Mod. 85 Montello" for the top tube, yet I've never seen that on a bike.
Old 07-11-20, 11:22 AM
CyclingFool95 

Bikes: 1987 Pinarello Montello, 1996 Litespeed Classic, 1996 Colnago Master Light, 1997 Litespeed Ultimate, 2006 Opera Leonardo FP, 2006 Pinarello Paris FP, 1984 Pinarello Record, 89-ish Cornelo Profilo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts
Get a good sweatguard for it and it should be okay. I used a steel Fuji as my indoor bike for around 25 years with minimal to no rust. My Montello was on the trainer (a Blackburn Mag 3) once or twice but I couldnt be that cruel to it. It's now back on the road with Chorus 10.

Old 07-11-20, 04:45 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 1,894 Times in 930 Posts
Originally Posted by Timtoolman340
I just bought an '85 frameset. No pump peg, single logo on front of seatpost. My replacement decals say "Mod. 85 Montello" for the top tube, yet I've never seen that on a bike.
The catalog images had 'Mod Montello 85' on the top tube (and similar for other models; 'Mod Catena Lusso', 'Mod Pista Amatore' etc.) In production, they mostly just had 'Montello'.

When you get to ten posts make sure you Show Us Your Pinarello.

Last edited by P!N20; 07-11-20 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-11-20, 10:02 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,228 Posts
............The Pinarello handled beautifully, fast steering.
I have an '84 SL framed Pinarello Record and mine has fast steering. Handles beautifully and tracks straight, but don't lose concentration on a rough or cracked road. Wonder if the geometry is the same, tubeset is not.