Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Comfortable tire........

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Comfortable tire........

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-19, 01:02 AM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Comfortable tire........

Currently running some Specialized Roubaix 23/25 tires and are quite comfortable. (bought a couple years ago during their BOGO deal). Never thought I'd like them so much but getting near the end of life on the rear & would love to find a similarly "comfortable" tire at something less than $40.

Anybody else got a favorite "comfy" road tire?

TIA
Old 09-02-19, 04:28 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
“Comfy” is not hard to attain in a road tire if you pay attention to little details, mainly inflation pressure. You mention 23/25, so straight away I would say plan on going with 25.
You might avoid heavy Gatorskin or Schwalbe Marathon thick tread tires unless you really need them. I guess you could say they are “comfy” but you might also say they are “dead” feeling.

I’m currently running Challenge Criterium open tubulars in 25 mm width with thin tubeless rim tape and Vittoria latex inner tubes on Velocity A23 rims. I am able to run them down on pressure for increased comfort over chipseal and bad pavement cracks. Tire pressures in the neighborhood of 78 psi front and 85 psi rear are quite lovely. I notice no increase in rolling resistance since my average speeds are faster if anything.

The Challenge tires have the high thread count casing and are of the “open tubular” designation. They seem to be the same as ordinary “clincher” tires except they come flat in the box and they are rather difficult to mount when they are new. I am better at it now - practice makes perfect. Pinching latex tubes on installation is a problem too but once you’ve successfully mounted them and they are holding air, you’re golden. You do need to top up the pressure before each ride though since the latex tubes are porous.
Old 09-02-19, 05:06 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
The most comfortable tires I've ever run are my current Mavi UST wheels w/Yksion tires. I was running Mavic clinchers w/Vittoria Open Corsa tires at 100 psi front and 125 psi rear. With tubeless I'm using 95 psi rear and 80 psi front. Both sets are 25s. More comfortable and also lighter, faster and easier to spin.
Old 09-02-19, 05:45 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I like Vittoria Rubino Pro or Zaffiro Pro. Lower priced nice quality tires. https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/vittoria has various sizes and models on sale. Rubino Pro 25 mm $17.99, Zaffiro Pro 23 mm $11.40. Also various others at sale prices. I have Panaracer Pasela's 25 mm on a different bike and they are good riding and good mileage. Look around for sale pricing.
Old 09-02-19, 07:52 AM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Well, like the OP, my go to road tire for the past year and a half has been the Specialized Roubaix Pro only in 25/28. Great mileage, good protection from road hazards, decent rolling and surprisingly smooth ride when pinflated to minimum recommended pressure using Challange seamless latex inner tubes (lightest, most supple inner tube around). Also not a bad ride using Specialized Turbo inner tubes. A little stiff with standard weight butyl inner tubes. I have used more supple tires, but the combination of features in the Roubaix Pros is hard to replicate and impossible to beat. Especially important is how they hold up to road hazards. Only had one small tread puncture on a rear tire that went clear through and pierced the inner tube in all this time. Didn’t even discover it till the next day when the tire had gone flat overnight. Previously with other tires I had multiple tread and sidewall gashes a year that always instantly lead to a flat and roadside repair.

The Roubaix Pro tire is one of those underrated super finds — thousands of miles of great performance. Worth the $40 per tire, especially when you consider the high mileage, low maintenance and impressive ride characteristics!
No need to look for a less expensive good find. In my mind they are already value priced.

I recognize that other opinions will vary. This is just my experience and two cents worth.

Happy cycling!
Old 09-02-19, 10:17 AM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
“Comfy” is not hard to attain in a road tire if you pay attention to little details, mainly inflation pressure. You mention 23/25, so straight away I would say plan on going with 25.
You might avoid heavy Gatorskin or Schwalbe Marathon thick tread tires unless you really need them. I guess you could say they are “comfy” but you might also say they are “dead” feeling.

I’m currently running Challenge Criterium open tubulars in 25 mm width with thin tubeless rim tape and Vittoria latex inner tubes on Velocity A23 rims. I am able to run them down on pressure for increased comfort over chipseal and bad pavement cracks. Tire pressures in the neighborhood of 78 psi front and 85 psi rear are quite lovely. I notice no increase in rolling resistance since my average speeds are faster if anything.
The 23/25 is Specialized's reference for size. (Kinda weird but it's either that or 26/28 which would be too tight in my bike). And, yes, tubulars would be an improvement for sure but that leads to the Mavic UST comment below which I already read about. Definitely a possible option but I'm not a fan of Mavic's low spoke count stuff. (I also run some Boyd Altamonts in 28/32 spoke which are dreamy)

Originally Posted by bruce19
The most comfortable tires I've ever run are my current Mavi UST wheels w/Yksion tires. I was running Mavic clinchers w/Vittoria Open Corsa tires at 100 psi front and 125 psi rear. With tubeless I'm using 95 psi rear and 80 psi front. Both sets are 25s. More comfortable and also lighter, faster and easier to spin.
I read your prior posts about this & watched the GCN video. Definitely a possibility but my most comfy setup right now is a tubed setup. If I spend the money, I'd rather have something with a high-traditional spoke count. (I have Ksyrium Elites & can unspring them on every pedal stroke.......spongy but power-hungry)

Originally Posted by delbiker1
I like Vittoria Rubino Pro or Zaffiro Pro. Lower priced nice quality tires. https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/vittoria has various sizes and models on sale. Rubino Pro 25 mm $17.99, Zaffiro Pro 23 mm $11.40. Also various others at sale prices. I have Panaracer Pasela's 25 mm on a different bike and they are good riding and good mileage. Look around for sale pricing.
I like Rubino Pro. It's been a while since I've ridden them so may have to try them out again!
Originally Posted by Sapperc
Well, like the OP, my go to road tire for the past year and a half has been the Specialized Roubaix Pro only in 25/28. Great mileage, good protection from road hazards, decent rolling and surprisingly smooth ride when pinflated to minimum recommended pressure using Challange seamless latex inner tubes (lightest, most supple inner tube around). Also not a bad ride using Specialized Turbo inner tubes. A little stiff with standard weight butyl inner tubes. I have used more supple tires, but the combination of features in the Roubaix Pros is hard to replicate and impossible to beat. Especially important is how they hold up to road hazards.

The Roubaix Pro tire is one of those underrated super finds — thousands of miles of great performance. Worth the $40 per tire, especially when you consider the high mileage, low maintenance and impressive ride characteristics!
No need to look for a less expensive good find. In my mind they are already value priced.
I've raced crits in the Roubaix as well as ridden centuries. Definitely an "under the radar" tire. But most of all its comfort has surprised me. It just looks like a touring tire but it's quite a value......Just hard for me to spend $40 on a tire I spent $20 on before......but there's always a coupon somewhere.
Old 09-02-19, 11:44 AM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
+1 on the Rubino Pro tires. Relatively light, good rolling resistance and very durable. I believe these tires have been discontinued by Vittoria. I'm surprised to see these for sale by a retailer but the website says they're in stock, and at a great price.
Old 09-02-19, 06:06 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Continental Grand Prix Classic skinwalls in 700x25 only are good. I've had a pair on my Trek 5900 for a month, about 350 miles. I weigh 150 lbs and run 'em around 90 psi rear, 75 front. I could go lower. They cost about $35 each.

But if you're not sure, try the cheap Conti Ultra Sport II in 700x25. Only costs about $15 each and they're really good for such cheap tires. Smooth rolling, grippy, comfortable and durable. I have about 2,000 miles on each of a set of 700x23 and 700x25, and both have plenty of miles left in 'em. Outstanding bargains.

The similarly priced Vittoria Zaffiros were awful compared with the Conti Ultra Sport II -- harsh at maximum pressure, sluggish at lower pressure, mediocre grip and showed excessive wear and cuts too readily. No idea about the others in the Zaffiro lineup, presumably they aren't all the same.

TBH, the Grand Prix Classic feels exactly the same as the 700x25 Ultra Sport II. In riding I can't feel any difference between the two tread types, compounds, sidewalls, etc. Both are good.
Old 09-02-19, 06:16 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
I have ridden Rubino Pros and they were absolutely deadly in the wet. No grip whatsoever.
Maybe they have changed the compound (this was a few years ago) but I am not trying them again.