Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Is Portland, OR the C&V Center of the Universe?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Is Portland, OR the C&V Center of the Universe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-19, 07:26 PM
DCycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
It would seem logical to me that the highest concentration of European and British bikes can be found in the East, while the highest concentration of Japanese bikes can be had in the West. American classics, from Chicago and the Midwest. Surly there are pockets of bike culture in select cities of the South. Charlestown, South Carolina, and Savanna, Georgia come to mind. I could be completely wrong about all of this... I need more coffee... or a nap.
You'll find some vintage stuff in Charleston, Savannah, and New Orleans, but it's mostly newer cruisers (those cities are pancake flat).

I've been in Atlanta for a few years, and while the bike culture was almost nonexistent 10 years ago, and fairly small 5 years ago, now it's likely got the largest cyclist scene in the south - centered around the Beltline. Partly that's just due to it being the largest city, but the # of cyclists and cycling-related events has exploded. Still, not a lot of C&V, especially compared to what you'll find in the northeast - particularly Boston and Philly.
Likes For DCycle:
Old 09-23-19, 11:43 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
When I started racing in Virginia in the mid-'70s, there was a very lively 24" racing scene. I forget what that class was called, they were younger than juniors. Fun to watch. Mostly Gitanes with tubular tires in my area.
That would be the Midget class. I sometimes rode with a single mom whose son raced fairly successfully in the class in the late 70s. Lucky SOB had a Tommasini with full Super Record!

DD
Old 09-24-19, 06:11 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
I follow the Washington, DC, market for bikes, and I observe what's being ridden when I do go into the city (rarely). I see a lot of commuters on older bikes, essentially using what they have or could buy for cheap. Lots of '80s and '90s road bikes and rigid frame hybrids. Rigid mountain bike conversions are also popular -- stuff from the late '80s through late '90s. I don't know for certain, but I imagine the threat of theft is a big reason why I don't see a lot of high-dollar bikes. There certainly are some, but I would say the predominant theme is "low cost".

I can contrast that with where I live, in the Shenandoah Valley west of the Blue Ridge. Out here, I feel like I'm the only one riding anything older than the mid-'90s. I live very near a large county park with miles of MUPs and dirt paths and "MTB trails" (they're weak, but I'm grateful to have them). Most of the Wheels around here are newer disc brake bikes, full sus mountain bikes, carbon road bikes, etc. Theft is pretty much a non-issue and these bikes are used for recreational purposes instead of for commuting.

I just like bikes, and I have a mix of stuff I ride regularly, both old and new. I would say that my '70 Peugeot UO-18 is probably the oldest bike of anything I've seen around here. More often than not, it's whatever the latest gotta-have-it bike is.
Old 09-24-19, 06:23 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Toronto has a lot of bikes because it is relatively flat. I have only seen a handful of nice C&V road bikes. Otherwise it is usually beaters, new fixed/single speeds or commuter bikes. Some modern road bikes as well.
Old 09-24-19, 07:04 AM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 465 Times in 191 Posts
The only time I have seen a Rivendell in person was in Toronto. It was an Atlantis. Normally I get excited about many different old bikes when I see them and not typically new ones, but it was still neat since the concept is close to what I like most about riding and bicycle design. I'm from Toronto, so I often travel to the city to visit. Like Ottawa, I can't help but eyeball the locked up bikes as I pass by along the sidewalk. Sometimes you can spot old Italian, French, British, or American steel hiding under road grime, or between the alloy Giant / Norco commuter hybrids. A few weeks ago I came across a Centurion Pro Tour which I'd never seen in person before. I see the odd British three speed now and again trundling along here in Ottawa. I visited City Hall last week, and a young woman was just getting on her classic Dutch Gazelle. They are out there, but I think that most folks - if they own a higher end classic - tend to keep it locked up at home unless they are on a day ride or have a secure lock up spot at work. I still get excited by bike boom machines like my A08 or a Gitane Gran Sport, lower or mid-range Raleigh road bikes, etc. It would be strange and wonderful if I were to see a Competition / Professional, a PX10, or a Tour de France. Montreal is the best place to spot a lot of interesting bicycles locked here and there.
Old 09-24-19, 07:31 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
As a native of the area (some years ago, non-bike involved) yet as a liver in Seattle, my inclination is to "no" though that may be out of pride or the fact that I've done plenty of sales and the only used parts shop that can rival the likes of Recycled Cycles and Bike Works is the Community Cycling Center on Alberta St. CCC is fantastic in a lot of ways, including their pricing, so they often get a visit when I'm in town.
It's in Bainbridge, so a 30 minute boat ride away, but don't forget Classic Cycle! Best bike shop I've ever been in, if only to gawk at all the stuff they have.

Old 09-24-19, 07:39 AM
rlorenz2

Bikes: 80' Tommasini Prestige, 85' Tommasini Super Prestige, Miele Chic, Miyata 312

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Denver/Boulder has a great C&V scene. With Creekside Bikes and Vecchio's Bcicletteria organizing nice C&V rides each year.
Old 09-24-19, 07:45 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay
Toronto has a lot of bikes because it is relatively flat. I have only seen a handful of nice C&V road bikes. Otherwise it is usually beaters, new fixed/single speeds or commuter bikes. Some modern road bikes as well.
You need to visit Little Italy.
Old 09-24-19, 08:51 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
I can definitely say that Northeastern Wisconsin is not the C&V "center of the universe."
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 09-24-19, 09:44 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by sheddle
It's in Bainbridge, so a 30 minute boat ride away, but don't forget Classic Cycle! Best bike shop I've ever been in, if only to gawk at all the stuff they have.
I've been there once, and have wanted to go back as the one visit was only five minutes. The store is fantastic and the guys that run it are good. Definitely have some nice used components for sale!
Old 09-24-19, 10:39 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
I have no idea about portland. San jose it seems the C&V is either old guys (80's as old is reference number) riding bikes the got new (but I see more of these guys on modern gear) or relatively young (in my heart not by birthdate) people like me who just like C*V.

But the point about e-bikes is of note. I am seeing more and more of them on the roads and mups and more be advertised by quality LBS and REI like stores (Sports Basement in the bay area)

Old 09-24-19, 11:09 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
We've (Seattle) even got a decent number of e-bike specific stores these days.

(honestly I'm tempted to get one, because climbing Seattle street grades can be tough enough without the prospect of doing it while carrying a loaded cargo bike. they're *really* popular with food delivery people and other bike deliverymen)
Old 09-24-19, 09:25 PM
shmuelyosef

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I keep sending vintage Campy stuff from my local Craigs listing to Portlandia. My city of Seattle is a huge cycling community and 60 percent larger than Portland's metro pop. But the C&V culture of Portland is obviously bigger, at least according to my own sales experience the last few years.
My son lives in Portland (I'm in Cal SF Bay Area) and pretty much everything up there is C&V, the houses, clothing/beard styles, bicycles, culture, etc...he manages an old-style farmers markets with farmers trucks in a grocery store parking lot and bicycles are his primary transportation (it was his ONLY transportation until he became a father)
Likes For shmuelyosef:
Old 09-24-19, 11:01 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by shmuelyosef
My son lives in Portland (I'm in Cal SF Bay Area) and pretty much everything up there is C&V, the houses, clothing/beard styles, bicycles, culture, etc...
Yes, the dream of the 90's is alive in Portland.

Old 09-24-19, 11:04 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
I have to agree with @RiddleOfSteel on this one. Portland has a strong bike culture, and some really good shops, but our market for C&V parts isn't as good as Seattle. Besides Recycled Cycles and Bike Works, the Seattle Bike Swap is better than anything I've been to in Portland. If you're selling a lot of stuff here it's probably because our demand is so far beyond our local supply.
Old 09-24-19, 11:08 PM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I can definitely say that Northeastern Wisconsin is not the C&V "center of the universe."
You are most certainly not lying
Old 09-24-19, 11:37 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 6,479 Times in 3,205 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Portland ... our demand is so far beyond our local supply.
I guess that's what I'm seeing...