Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Yet another "which bike?" question (Litespeed, Orbea, Cannondale)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-05, 07:55 PM
gknep

Bikes: Cannondale six13 / Santa Cruz Chameleon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So here is my dilema, and I recognize that I may have more money than sense. I am in the market for what I like to call a 'midlife crisis' road bike. Anyway after much research and test riding I have narrowed down to 3 bikes all at different LBS

05 Litespeed Siena w Ultegra 10 spd Triple w/ Real Design Ultrafly wheels (which I know nothing about) $3465

05 Cannondale 613 w 10spd Campy Centaur (upgrade to Campy carbon compact crank/front der.) + I get to keep the FSA 53/39 carbon crank that is on it now for my current road bike and a free Bell Ghisalo helmet. $3400.

04/03? Orbea Orca with 04/03? Campy Chorus and Euros wheelset on clearance from a shop that no longer carries Orbea $3200.

I am caught between the frame materials debate and the never ending campy shimano debate. My current bike is an Aluminum Giant TCR-2 w/ 105.

Gknep
Old 03-15-05, 08:10 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Having just looked at all the options myself, given the choice between the 3 I'd go for the Orca. The Chorus/Eurus group is better than the others, the frame can't be beat.

You sound like me, with more money than sense, and I just turned 50. I bought a Kuota Kharma with full Chorus. All black, all Italian (except of course the frame is actually Asian made.) I bought my last bike when I lived in Seattle 20+ years ago, a Davidson from the Wright Bros Cycle Coop. Are they still there?
Old 03-15-05, 08:19 PM
Corsaire
Dancing on the Pedals

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
get the Orca, I would.

Corsaire
Old 03-15-05, 08:25 PM
Serpico
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
...all Italian (except of course the frame is actually Asian made.)...
Old 03-15-05, 11:07 PM
MacMan
Sick ... again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6/13. I think that frame is pretty damn perfect. Just not quite as perfect as an E5

Also, I think I'll start a flame war by officially declaring Litespeeds to be UGLY! Seven's too now that I think of it.
Old 03-15-05, 11:24 PM
2Rodies
El Diablo

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8/Record 10s, Felt DA700 Chorus 10s,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride the Orca before you buy it. It is a very good frame but the geometry is really fast, meaning quick steering. I've owned one and didn't like the way it handled also not the best fork on the market, flexed a lot and I'm only 153#.
Old 03-15-05, 11:53 PM
triggersd
Trigger

Bikes: Yeti SB95C, Titus X, Litespeed Siena, Electra Ticino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ugly? *Gasp*
Old 03-15-05, 11:57 PM
MacMan
Sick ... again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by triggersd
Ugly? *Gasp*
It's a shocker alright!
Old 03-16-05, 12:20 AM
bandaidman
go wake forest!!!!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
all 3 bikes are nice .. i hvae ridden an orca and a 6-13 and enjoyed both. i have ridden a few litespeeds but not this model. they are fine bikes and many have non integrated headsets which i find a plus.

i prefer the six 13 over the others. the centaur bike is really nice.i have campy chorus on my bike and prefer the ergo power to sti. the current centaur 10 is almost as nice/is as nice as my 2 year old chorus if that means anything. i am curious as to why you are swapping out the crank unless you really want the additional crank for another bike anyway...

an important factor is the bike shop itself. which do you like better and which has the best service. will they give you courtesy minor tune ups when you stop by? there is nothing better than riding to your lbs and having minor glitches quickly and cheerfully fixed
Old 03-16-05, 12:41 AM
gknep

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[/quote] i prefer the six 13 over the others. the centaur bike is really nice.i have campy chorus on my bike and prefer the ergo power to sti. the current centaur 10 is almost as nice/is as nice as my 2 year old chorus if that means anything. i am curious as to why you are swapping out the crank unless you really want the additional crank for another bike anyway...

an important factor is the bike shop itself. which do you like better and which has the best service. will they give you courtesy minor tune ups when you stop by? there is nothing better than riding to your lbs and having minor glitches quickly and cheerfully fixed[/QUOTE]

The swap is to make it a compact 50/34 or 50/36 rather than the FSA Carbon 53/39 that is on it. The shop owner will let me swap straight accross for FSA carbon compact or for $200 he will get me Campy carbon compact and for another $200 he will let me keep the FSA carbon 53/39 and put it on my old road bike. So it is basically $400 for Campy carbon compact crank BB and front der and an FSA Carbon crank installed on a second bike. The compact crank I want for sure, have not decided yet about the leftover FSA. Of the three shops this one by far is my favorite. I know the owner all the employees, my kid trick or treats there at halloween. Over the years have gotten my present road bike, wife's bike, 2 kids bikes, clothing, helmets, service, advice etc.
Old 03-16-05, 01:35 AM
2Rodies
El Diablo

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8/Record 10s, Felt DA700 Chorus 10s,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
all 3 bikes are nice .. i hvae ridden an orca and a 6-13 and enjoyed both.
I rode the Orca for over 2k miles and rode a 6/13 for around 150 miles. They are completely different bikes in the way they feel and handle. Before making a choice I'd really recommend spending quality time on both.
Old 03-16-05, 02:00 AM
chzman
Mad Scientist

Bikes: Dean TI fixie... Viner ProComp... NEXT pink sparkely!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Just follow your heart, Pedro. That's what I do." ND

The Orbea is not only the sexiest, but it also has the best set up with chorus and eurus wheels.
Old 03-16-05, 07:12 AM
velocipedio
human

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Teramo, 2000 Marinoni Leggero, 2001 Kona Major Jake (with Campy Centaur), 1997 Specialized S-Works M2, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i'm not a huge fan of the orbea. i've only seen one in the wild [it comes into the shop from time to time], but up-close, it's not super impressive. the finish quality is okay, but not stellar and, having taken it out for a test ride [to find a creaking noise fpr the customer], i found it lifeless.

personally, i'd say go with the litespeed. the build quality is amazing. we just got a couple of teramos, a tuscany, a bella and a ghisallo in the shop, and they are beautifully-made bikes.

The Irregular Cycling Club of Montreal
Cycling irregularly since 2002
Old 03-16-05, 07:46 AM
RiPHRaPH
Don't Believe the Hype

Bikes: 1999 Steelman SR525, 2002 Lightspeed Ultimate, 1988 Trek 830, 2008 Scott Addict

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
people who say that the lightspeed is ugly are the same people who respond when asked what kind of bike do you have say "a red one"

geez. lightspeed or the orbea...
Old 03-16-05, 10:12 AM
MacMan
Sick ... again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RiPHRaPH
people who say that the lightspeed is ugly are the same people who respond when asked what kind of bike do you have say "a red one"

geez. lightspeed or the orbea...
Awwwww ...
Old 03-16-05, 10:18 AM
motomickey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Litespeed. Shame they don't have a couple of other frames to try like the tuscany. Real design is owned by litespeed. Supposedly good product-but I can't attest to the wheels. FYI, not EVERYBODY thinks campy is better than Shimano...I like shimano better. Funny thing about my litespeed (I have a tuscany-thus the try other frames comment) is that while I was really stoked with it when I first got it (new bike response), the more I ride it, the more I LOVE it. FYI-work the LBS alittle reguardless of which bike you get-you should be able to lower the price and get some freebies
JMHO
Old 03-16-05, 10:21 AM
ImprezaDrvr
Back in the Sooner State

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Orbea.
Old 03-16-05, 01:17 PM
CycleFreakLS

Bikes: Litespeed, Medici, Gary Fisher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gknep
05 Litespeed Siena w Ultegra 10 spd Triple w/ Real Design Ultrafly wheels (which I know nothing about) $3465
'Course ... since I ride a Litespeed, I'm partial to ... But, do you really need 05? I think frames are like PCs ... there ain't nothin' wrong with last year's technology. Given that ...

https://www.hi-techbikes.com/specials.htm

There's a 55cm 04 Litespeed Ultimate for $2199
There's also a 55cm 03 Litespeed Ultimate for $1699

Not sure about what size you need ... but with the 03 Ultimate, that would leave you ~$1700 to build the rest of the bike. If you shop around, you could probably get a great fork and wheelset and mid-range components to complete a killer bike.

Best.
Old 03-16-05, 02:40 PM
gknep

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wright Bros is still there it is called Wright Bros Cycle Works now.
Old 03-16-05, 08:04 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by gknep
Wright Bros is still there it is called Wright Bros Cycle Works now.
I checked Google and yes indeed it is still there and Charles still runs it. I took a class from him way back in 1980 or so and he took us out to Davidson's shop before he set up at Elliott Bay, that's what got me hooked on buying a Davidson. I still have it and rode it continuously up until I bought my 50th bday present just last month. I"ll still ride it too on occasion, when I fix the flat I got on my last ride with it.

My new Kuota
Old 03-16-05, 08:23 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12192 Post(s)
Liked 1,496 Times in 1,108 Posts
Go find a Tuscany and give it a test ride.
Old 03-16-05, 09:08 PM
xylx

Bikes: Giant VT, Kona Hot commuter, Fetish Fixation ss, Fetish velocita road bike, ATP recumbent set up as human powered snowmobile (2 skis)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Orbea. It's the cheapest and best. Cannondale has hideous customer service in my experience. I've owned a Litespeed and I'd walk before I bought another one. Orbeas are cooler too. You're far more likely to get 20 somethings to talk to you if you have one. And isn't that what mid life crisis responses are really all about?
Old 03-17-05, 07:49 AM
TimB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
either the Orbea or a Tuscnay is a great ride. The decider will be the geometry I think.

I have a 53cm Tuscany, my buddy has a M Orca.
The Orce handles very much like the Tuscany but feels more twitchy at slow speed climbs.
Both are light and are comfy although I think the Tuscany has an edge over the Orca uite significantly. Do not underestimate how soft the Tuscany's ride is. Has to be experienced to be believed!
Old 03-17-05, 12:13 PM
twbradford

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I test rode an Onix (the next one down from an Orca). The frame is sweet on both. Super light. But as a few posters said....Orbeas are different breeds. The Onix was squirmy and figidty. It was like being on a wild stallion. The Cannondale R5000 I rode was very refined and stable. Onix would be faster but you better know what you are doing. It is probably not as forgiving as a Cann.
That said - The Orbeas just look a lot better.....but unless you are posing for photos all the time a bike is for riding and not looking. And if you not going to ride it...then why spend all that dough.
Get the bike that suits and fits you....and then go for looks.
I have a date with a 6-13 soon. But my heart is longing for the Klien Pro Carbon....what a sweet ride she was. I may have found the one for me.
Old 03-19-05, 12:19 PM
gknep

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. After and agonizing (ok let's face it buying bikes is fun) search it came down to this. I picked the six13. The Orbea was nice, but because it was on clearance I would have had to spend a lot more money (crank and stem were wrong and shop would not budge), also that shop just underwent a change in ownership and the guy I know there is leaving soon too. The litespeed was good as well, but at a LBS I like the least and send me on a test ride w/ a loose stem bolt. The shop with the six13 gave the best combination of customer service and deal. Also for me the six13 simply rode and fit the best. Also I picked Campy over Shimano. Now just waiting for the campy compact carbon crank to come in. . .