Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Giant Reign vs Trance vs NRS. What's the point?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-05, 02:25 AM
badsac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Okay, just looking to get back into mountainbiking again. Trying to speak to the local bike store about Specialized bikes since I like my Roubaix Comp, however for some reason they have a hardon for Giant and wont talk about anything else (even though I bought the Roubaix off them). Anyway, they give me the Maestro suspension catalogue with the Faith, Reign and Trance in it. Anyway, it's obvious what the Faith is about. I take it the Reign is Giants new All Mountain bike. I've also been told that if you're doing competitive xc then the NRS is still the go. Which leaves the Trance. What's that thing for? Wouldn't people choose the NRS to race and the Reign for those a bit more casual, with the Trance not really having a niche?

(Obviously I'm a noob with all the different categories of mtb's. So humour me if I'm missing something obvious).
Old 04-19-05, 05:24 AM
TimB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NRS will be discontinued very very soon. Those available are probably run out stock that shops are trying to clear so that they can tell you the Trance is the Bee's Knees.

NRS is still a good buy since it's reacehd it maximum potential while the Trance is only starting it's market development cycle.
get a NRS and squeeze squeeze squeeze them on price. I reckon you could get it for just above retail cost price
Old 04-19-05, 07:51 AM
badsac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really? The local shop made out that the Trance was heavier than the NRS and not really up to competition. I'd basically be using it for some Adventure and xc racing, so I'm not really to concerned about getting something for rock bottom dollar. If the trance is going to be a better bike than the NRS then I'd prefer it.
Old 04-19-05, 11:24 AM
serious

Bikes: Trek Fuel 98

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Trance has a better suspension system. Unlike the NRS setup, it remains fairly active under braking and pedal load. But the Trance is somewhat heavy (over 28 lbs I think), so it is not ideal for racing. In my opinon the Trance is a great trail/adventure bike.

But as someone mentioned, Trance is a new offering, so look for the Trance suspension in future XC racing (lighter) configurations.
Old 04-19-05, 06:48 PM
badsac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So isn't the Reign an trail/adventure bike? Frame looks very similar to the Trance, just with longer travel. I wonder why didn't they stick with that for the adventure riders, and put some effort into something lighter for the xc riders?

Interesting that the NRS has a couple of carbon fibre models, but the bike that replaces it doesn't.
Old 04-21-05, 10:55 AM
jameyj
LSU Alum

Bikes: 2006 Trek 2100D - 2005 Giant NRS - 2004.5 Giant Suede

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't think that the Maestro suspension was replacing the NRS suspension. Just a different design for different purposes. Wondering if any one had some insider info as to what direction Giant might be taking on this.
Old 04-21-05, 01:06 PM
Speedub.Nate
fanatik

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For a more techincal XC course, the Trance could be a superior choice to the NRS. Depends what you're looking for, though. Some riders will always opt for a Hardtail, which IMHO is the NRS's main competition.

They're relatively new bikes, but the Maestro suspension is a close copy (I'd go so far as to call it a knock-off) of the dw-link suspension found on IH, Indy Fab & BMC full-suspension bikes. Look up some MTBR reviews of the Hollowpoint to get a feel for its ability.

I owned an NRS for about a year and found it to be about equivalent to my 29"er suspension post-equipped hardtail. Great for a smoother XC course, but than again, so is a race-weight hardtail.

The dw-link and Maestro suspensions, on the other hand, manage to achieve excellent climbing characteristics while remaining active and responsive to all terrain big and small.
Old 05-06-05, 01:49 PM
jameyj
LSU Alum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks like there is not a Giant NRS for 2006 (at least in the UK)

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/uk/030...30.000.000.asp

There were 2005 models but no 2006 models, yet. I don't know if this means the end of the NRS or they haven't updated there website completely for 2006. They also could be waiting to put out a 2006 1/2 model. Who knows? Anyone?
Old 05-06-05, 08:05 PM
badsac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting. My shop also told me Giant was getting rid of the NRS. Might be true then. Wonder if the Trance will be hard edged enough.

BTW, interesting that the Tracne 3 in Australia has X-7 while the rest of the world seems to be sticking to LX. Wonder why Giant Aus has specced it's stuff differently?
Old 05-07-05, 12:14 AM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'd rather have a Specialized
Old 05-07-05, 02:04 AM
willtsmith_nwi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badsac
Okay, just looking to get back into mountainbiking again. Trying to speak to the local bike store about Specialized bikes since I like my Roubaix Comp, however for some reason they have a hardon for Giant and wont talk about anything else (even though I bought the Roubaix off them). Anyway, they give me the Maestro suspension catalogue with the Faith, Reign and Trance in it. Anyway, it's obvious what the Faith is about. I take it the Reign is Giants new All Mountain bike. I've also been told that if you're doing competitive xc then the NRS is still the go. Which leaves the Trance. What's that thing for? Wouldn't people choose the NRS to race and the Reign for those a bit more casual, with the Trance not really having a niche?

(Obviously I'm a noob with all the different categories of mtb's. So humour me if I'm missing something obvious).

My understanding is the NRS will be discontinued.

The idea with the Maestro suspension is to use the same suspension for XC, FR and downhill. This get the cost down. And you can really see it. The Trance 4 at my local shop is going for $1,050. That's an awesome price for a good suspension system.
Old 05-07-05, 09:47 PM
jameyj
LSU Alum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One thing I did note on the UK site was there was no FS XC race bike. So I wonder if Giant is putting together a Maestro XC bike to replace the NRS or if just fine tuning the NRS for a 06 1/2 NRS. Wish someone had definitive info on the NRS.
Old 10-28-05, 02:25 AM
hoolagin 001

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I've got the reign 3 and it's basically an all rounder, all mountain bike

Old 10-28-05, 03:48 AM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I love newbies who dig up 5 1/2 month old threads that have been resolved and nobody cares about anymore.
Old 10-28-05, 04:38 AM
wildjim

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Raiyn
I love newbies who dig up 5 1/2 month old threads that have been resolved and nobody cares about anymore.
I care as the thread got my attention.

Butt which is it?

As you scold them for not searching for common information then ridicule them for commenting within an existent thread.

Old 10-28-05, 06:37 AM
Speedub.Nate
fanatik

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jameyj
One thing I did note on the UK site was there was no FS XC race bike. So I wonder if Giant is putting together a Maestro XC bike to replace the NRS or if just fine tuning the NRS for a 06 1/2 NRS. Wish someone had definitive info on the NRS.
I believe the bike you are looking for is the Anthem. But check out the dw-link Azure as well.
Old 10-28-05, 03:39 PM
the wonginator
Shreddin' heaven on his 20"

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wildjim
I care as the thread got my attention.

Butt which is it?

As you scold them for not searching for common information then ridicule them for commenting within an existent thread.

okay but does anyone really care that he has a reign 3 and that its an all-rounder? after all, it was already said in this thread.
Old 10-29-05, 01:24 AM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wildjim
One searches to find information to read not comment on long resolved and dead threads.
If someone had a question about what they read they would start a new thread something like this:

Question about Sledgehammer FartKnocker
I did a search and found this thread, I have a question that wasn't covered in that thread.................................etc etc etc
Basically saying that
  1. They DID perform a search
    and
  2. They read the thread and still had a question
Problem solved. Now
Old 10-29-05, 04:50 AM
badsac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah yeah thread Nazi. Give it a rest.

Nice to see one of my children rise from the dead. Still haven't got a new bike yet. Trance was just to soft for my intended use. Anthem will most definitley be the go but damn, I wish they'd hurry up and release it here. Seems it's out in the US in December, but not even any word as to when we'll be getting it in Australia.

Any of you dudes lucky enough to get a ride on Anthems prior to release?
Old 11-01-05, 03:37 PM
98bomber
ummmm beer

Bikes: 98 gt avalanche

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes i got to ride one at interbike and they{anthem} ride fantastic, climb well and generally felt great. pretty light also. i was a big nrs fan and was very worried what was going to happen to giants race/dualies. not wooried anymore, will own one asap.