Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rear facing camera or radar

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Rear facing camera or radar

Old 09-10-19, 07:25 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Group rides. I want it on all the time during my solo rides, but I don't need to be flashing in my guys' faces on group rides.
I checked when I got home tonight and yep -- there's no radar on, light off option.

I guess an acceptable compromise is solid light on, radar on. It's the blinking that blinds people, more than the light itself.
Old 09-10-19, 07:32 PM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
I checked when I got home tonight and yep -- there's no radar on, light off option.

I guess an acceptable compromise is solid light on, radar on. It's the blinking that blinds people, more than the light itself.
The “solid” on option did not seem that annoying to me but it starts to flash when a detected car gets closer, so depends on how many cars a group ride encounters I guess.
Old 09-10-19, 07:45 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by Steeler_fanatic
This is a good topic as I am considering the Varia as an added safety feature. I would forgo the Cyclic and instead get a helmet mirror with the Vario. The mirror IMO is an essential safety feature you can add for less than $15. I won't ride without one (and have an extra in my saddle bag) as it gives a great view of what's happening behind. In my experience, turning your head to glance behind has a tendency to pull you further into the lane of travel.
The helmet mirror does not provide you with video evidence in case things go badly.

I use the Varia and the Cycliq.
Old 09-10-19, 07:54 PM
Steeler_fanatic

Bikes: 2022 Trek Émonda SLR 6 eTap, 2018 Trek Domane ALR 5, 1974 Batavis Tour de l’Europe

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
The helmet mirror does not provide you with video evidence in case things go badly.

I use the Varia and the Cycliq.
Of course getting both is best but the original question was one or the other.
Old 09-10-19, 08:30 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by Steeler_fanatic
Of course getting both is best but the original question was one or the other.
As I explained in a previous post, if you can afford to get both then I highly recommend it.
Old 09-10-19, 10:50 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Group rides. I want it on all the time during my solo rides, but I don't need to be flashing in my guys' faces on group rides.
Hmmm. I sat on my wife's wheel for two hours today, and I hardly even noticed the flashing lights on her Varia radar.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-11-19, 05:45 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Hmmm. I sat on my wife's wheel for two hours today, and I hardly even noticed the flashing lights on her Varia radar.
Cool. When you come on my group rides, I'll keep that in mind. Until then, I'll defer to the opinions of those present.
Old 09-11-19, 09:07 AM
tomato coupe

Cool. When you come on my group rides, I'll keep that in mind. Until then, I'll defer to the opinions of those present.
That's interesting. I've used mine in groups many times, and I've ridden in groups where 3 or 4 riders had them, and I've never heard anyone complain about them. They aren't very bright lights.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-11-19, 09:13 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
That's interesting. I've used mine in groups many times, and I've ridden in groups where 3 or 4 riders had them, and I've never heard anyone complain about them. They aren't very bright lights.
Cool. When I come on one of your group rides, I'll keep that in mind. Until then, I'll defer to the opinions of those present in my group rides.
Old 09-11-19, 12:05 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Keep in mind there's two generations. The first generation Varia is not even a light, it's just a bar of LEDs that flash when it detects something. The current generation also includes a super bright light -- comparable to my Bontrager Flare, although I haven't actually compared lumens. But it's really, really bright.
Old 09-11-19, 12:34 PM
WhyFi

But it's really, really bright.
When I turned it on after taking it out of the box, I had after-images seared into my eyes for a while; I haven't been as nonchalant with it since.
Old 09-11-19, 02:20 PM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
When I turned it on after taking it out of the box, I had after-images seared into my eyes for a while; I haven't been as nonchalant with it since.
Yeah, directly looking at it indoors does burn the retina . When I was testing it outdoors for the flashing patterns, I thought the solid mode might be a little bit more tolerable as I was looking at it at a more or less 45 degree angle.

Continuous flash, in a group ride though; “fugged****udit”

Last edited by kissTheApex; 09-11-19 at 02:21 PM. Reason: WTF! “a.b.o.” getting censored :o
Old 09-11-19, 07:05 PM
tomato coupe

Keep in mind there's two generations. The first generation Varia is not even a light, it's just a bar of LEDs that flash when it detects something. The current generation also includes a super bright light -- comparable to my Bontrager Flare, although I haven't actually compared lumens. But it's really, really bright.
That's useful info.
Old 12-28-19, 04:20 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Thought I'd update the thread to say that Mrs. NoWhammies gave me the Varia RTL510 for Christmas. I haven't taken the radar unit out for a spin yes, but based on what I've read here and other place online, I am looking forward to my first ride.

This^^ This is the exact same thing that happened to me when I turned it after charging the sucker. I was seeing red for a while afterwards. Needless to say, I won't make that mistake again.
Old 12-29-19, 10:16 AM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
I can confirm that this light is bright af and will sear images into your retina if viewed directly
Old 12-29-19, 02:45 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
I don't own a Varia, but quite a few of my friends do. They also swear by it. I'm the only one who runs cameras on rides, both front and rear. I think if I cared about looking like a dork I'd ditch my helmet mirror and get a radar. I'm okay with looking dorky so I'll stick with my mirror.

I've sat behind their wheels with it flashing. I don't find it all that bright, or maybe I'm just used to it.

The cameras, while they won't prevent any collisions, do give me some peace of mind, especially when riding solo or on my commutes, in case there is an incident. I don't usually turn them on when riding with a group. And if I do, it's sporadic.

I view the Varia the same way I view my cameras--that if it gives you some sense of security, then why not, even if it is a false one.☺️
Old 12-29-19, 03:28 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by mcours2006
I view the Varia the same way I view my cameras--that if it gives you some sense of security, then why not, even if it is a false one.☺️
Having logged some more time with the Varia, I'd disagree. A camera is great after the fact, but a Varia is proactive.

I find myself riding further in to the street, which is helpful in a few ways. First, it's smoother and there's usually less debris. Beyond that, visibility to motorists approaching from behind is better. Third, I really do think that seeing me move over upon their approach elicits a different response from drivers - they're aware that I'm aware of them and that I'm making an effort at accommodation. Then there's the changing flash pattern as they approach - again, it's something that indicates a dynamic situation.

I don't know how much to attribute to any one factor, but the end result is that I see much more generous passes and buzzings have been reduced dramatically.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 12-29-19, 03:36 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Definitely Varia. I'd rather not get hit than be able to sue.
How does Varia prevent you from being hit?

Whether or not you know a car is behind you doesn't seem like a way to prevent you from being hit.
Old 12-29-19, 03:42 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
What's the best way to use the light on this sucker? Solid (and blinding!) red? Slow strobe? Flashing? What are most of you doing?

My only concern if someone, somewhere mentioned the batter drain on the Garmin 520 (which is my unit). My 520 has pretty good battery life now, so I'll have to see if I notice any changes with the Varia hooked up.
Old 12-29-19, 04:03 PM
mcours2006

Having logged some more time with the Varia, I'd disagree. A camera is great after the fact, but a Varia is proactive.

I find myself riding further in to the street, which is helpful in a few ways. First, it's smoother and there's usually less debris. Beyond that, visibility to motorists approaching from behind is better. Third, I really do think that seeing me move over upon their approach elicits a different response from drivers - they're aware that I'm aware of them and that I'm making an effort at accommodation. Then there's the changing flash pattern as they approach - again, it's something that indicates a dynamic situation.

I don't know how much to attribute to any one factor, but the end result is that I see much more generous passes and buzzings have been reduced dramatically.
All those things you listed are great, and maybe more useful when riding solo. I do the same thing, except I see the traffic behind with my mirror. Do I feel that the my mirror gives me a sense of security? Of course, for those same reasons. But having been hit once from behind, and with a mirror, I can tell you that there isn't a whole lot you can do to avoid the situation. I'd expect cars to move over to the left to pass me. They always do, until they don't, and then it's too late to react. Some move over earlier. Some later. Sure, you can bail out last minute with the ones that move over late, but I assure you that's no way to ride. Neither a mirror nor radar is going to help you. That's why I say even if it's a false sense.

That said, I find a mirror helps in other ways, like with left turns, singling up when there's a car back, watching for cars with right turn signals to avoid right hooks, etc. But this thread is about radar and camera, so I won't dwell on it.
Old 12-29-19, 04:18 PM
mcours2006

The friends with whom I ride who have the Varia don't do much with the data, or at least I don't see them react to it. I am quite comfortable riding further out from the shoulder/curb when I am pulling, even taking the whole lane, especially now because of salt, debris, and possible ice patches from refrozen melting snow on the bank. Them, not so much, and most will stay at or inside the fog line. I also consider the direction of the side winds when pulling. E.g., wind from left, I ride further out giving riders behind me a better angle, and vice versa. A few of them have even said they don't feel comfortable riding further out from the shoulder. I don't notice them deviating from their path when there is an approaching vehicle. But none of them have logged as much mileage as I have on the road, and have had to deal with as much traffic as I have.

If you actually use the information the radar gives you to ride proactively and adjust to the changing conditions, then it's a good safety device.
Old 12-30-19, 05:15 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I wanted to play with some new bike technology, decided on the Varia radar taillight vs. video. I have friend who bikes a lot and is a big fan of the Cycliq video unit but ends up using it pretty much only in case he wants to give the police a photo of the license plate of the car that hit him! And that hasn't been very useful in Florida, where there aren't any front license plates...

Two rides with the Varia 510 unit, very impressed. Two negatives: (1) I use a saddle bag on a relatively low seat and have no seat post room to mount the unit, had to do a bit of improvising; and (2) I knew it would alert a lot in urban areas but another scenario: riding on a trail or service road next to a busy highway. The 40 degree angle and the 500 feet or so rear detection distance means it will see the right lane of the highway unless there is some tall barrier.

The only other downside: yet another thing to do periodic software updates on! Feels kinda silly updating a taillight, soon my bar tape will come with a USB interface.

I'm using my Wahoo Elemnt as the head unit, works great.
Old 12-30-19, 09:12 AM
Beach Bob

Bikes: Giant Defy Pro 0, Cervelo Aspero

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
Helpful hint for those with Varia radars.... if you ride in groups or ride with some people regularly, you can have others connect to your unit as well and then everyone knows when cars are coming up from behind. Very helpful as long as everyone is aware that the car position shown on their head units is relative to the Varia and not themselves.
Old 12-30-19, 09:59 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Beach Bob
Helpful hint for those with Varia radars.... if you ride in groups or ride with some people regularly, you can have others connect to your unit as well and then everyone knows when cars are coming up from behind. Very helpful as long as everyone is aware that the car position shown on their head units is relative to the Varia and not themselves.
Interesting thought. Do you know about what distance away from the Varia other users would still get a signal?
Old 12-30-19, 11:32 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Interesting thought. Do you know about what distance away from the Varia other users would still get a signal?
I've ridden with groups of 10-12 people, a few of them latched on to my Varia; as long as the group isn't too strung out, the range was more than enough for everyone, probably 100 feet or more.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.