Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mid 80's Fuji Sagres wheels options

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-19, 11:09 PM
spindlehead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hello- I have a mid-80's Fuji Sagres that I converted into a single speed some years ago. The frame feels really great and the the geometry very comfortable. The only problem is that the wheels have seen better days. They are both out of true and the front has an abnormally high amount of lateral play.

I was wondering if it is easy to change to 700C wheels from the 27" original size? Then I would have a wider variety of tire options including the heavily armored ones I prefer. The brakes are strong. Would they still work on a 700C rim?
Old 09-24-19, 01:51 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
The short answer is: if you still have the ability to lower your brake pads in their slots (on the caliper) 4mm, then you should be fine with regard to not having to change anything else on your bike apart from the aforementioned wheelset. If you don't, you'd have to change out calipers. Since you're at 10 posts, you can upload pictures of your Sagres or Sagres' brakes from your computer and that will help all of us get you rolling in the right direction.
Old 09-29-19, 02:20 PM
spindlehead

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Awesome! Looks like I should have plenty of room in the caliper slots to adjust the pads heights.

Old 09-29-19, 02:28 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Adjusting those down won't be a problem.

First, though, I'd repack/adjust the hubs and true the wheels (and adjust the brake pads). It's probably not necessary to replace the wheels.
Old 09-29-19, 05:35 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Get new wheels. Nothing breathes new life into an old bike better than a new set of wheels & tires. And, it's not that expensive. You can probably find a great set of brand new wheels for under $150 delivered to your door. 700c should work fine. Just make sure to measure your rear dropout axle length or the outside locknut distance OLD. A mid 80's Fuji will have an OLD somewhere between 126 and 130mm. You also probably have a threaded 6 speed or 7 speed freewheel on the original wheel. You will probably have to convert to a 7 speed freehub & cassette on the new 700c wheel too. Go to someplace like Harbor freight and get a cheap 6" long caliper measuring tool for $5. Pull your old rear wheel off. Pull off the freewheel. Make some measurements. Buy a new of wheels that fit perfectly. Be good. Have fun.
Old 09-30-19, 11:44 PM
spindlehead

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ah.. @ramzilla I did not even think of the threaded old freewheel vs modern freehub. I don't remember what I did when I converted the bike to single speed, but the chainline is super straight. Maybe best left alone.
Old 10-01-19, 10:39 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I would just true up the wheels unless I had plans for an upgrade (wider and/or lighter rims, better spokes, better hubs). Buying cheap new wheels can easily be a lateral move.

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 10-01-19 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-01-19, 01:07 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
A couple items, you can get 700c wheels with a FW hub -amazon sells them just looked at a pair last week, there are many more 27" tire options then they get credit for on this forum just look in the sticky thread section for the 27" tire thread. and +2 to truing and repacking the originals before whipping out the plastic, lateral play sounds like a hub that is adjust too loosely. There are a number of videos out there about rebuilding cup and cone hubs, RJ the bike guy, GCN (uk) Park tools etc, A a couple of cone wrenches some loose bearings (see videos for sizing and number different between front and rear hubs) , a tube of fresh grease and some patience and time and Bobs your uncle. for a fraction the cost of a new wheel-set. YMMV.