Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Sub 11.0 story?

Old 03-06-05, 06:07 PM
bostontrevor
Retrogrouch in Training

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok. So what's the deal with Sub 11.0 vs. Surly? I know that all the Sub 11.0 stuff (dropouts, Fixxer, whatever else) is now branded Surly, but what's the story behind all that? Who was Sub 11.0? How'd they become Surly? Were they always a QBP brand or was the Sub 11.0 -> Surly transition part of being bought by QBP?

Someone must know the lore.

Last edited by bostontrevor; 03-06-05 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-06-05, 07:29 PM
Thylacine
Industry Maven

Bikes: Thylacines...only Thylacines.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have no idea. When I started with the whole frame thing, all the hooded horizontals were labeled 'Sub 11', then they got phased out by the wholesaler and then 'Shazam' - They're available from QBP with 'Surly' stapmed on them.

Talk about negative connotations. It's like running pressed steel wheels on a Ferrari.

Still, a dropout is a dropout, and if the fooker can hold a wheel in place, who am I to argue?
Old 03-07-05, 05:28 AM
riderx
BFSSFG old timer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sub 11 and Surly have always been QBP ventures.
Old 03-07-05, 07:22 AM
KrisPistofferson
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Are they really "Norwegian batchelor farmers"?
Old 03-07-05, 10:19 AM
Miracle Whip
The Alternative Dressing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thylacine
Talk about negative connotations. It's like running pressed steel wheels on a Ferrari.
Could you elaborate? Or is this product bashing for the sake of bashing someones elses product?
Old 03-07-05, 05:56 PM
icithecat
old codger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Miracle Whip. You might want to do a bit of research before slamming a poster. Unless of course you like wearing Egg, vi****r, mystery ingrediants, etc.
Old 03-07-05, 06:31 PM
BostonFixed
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What i'd like to know is what kind of name sub 11.0 is??

Last edited by BostonFixed; 03-07-05 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-07-05, 07:47 PM
jim-bob
hateful little monkey

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like my sub-11 dropouts.
Old 03-08-05, 06:35 AM
Miracle Whip
The Alternative Dressing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by icithecat
Miracle Whip. You might want to do a bit of research before slamming a poster. Unless of course you like wearing Egg, vi****r, mystery ingrediants, etc.

Easy FanBoy. I'm well aware that Thylacine is the creator of some very nice custom frames. I just want him to clarify his statement.
Old 03-08-05, 07:09 AM
bostontrevor
Retrogrouch in Training

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hehe... I suspect the statement was along the lines that when they weren't a QBP brand or at least not so obviously so--one poster claims that they always were but I've found references to them being carried by distributors other than QBP in the Sub 11.0 days and not just Thylacine--it had the feel of a small boutique operation that specialized in the then niche market of singlespeed components.

When they come out as a QBP house brand...Well, QBP has a reputation for quality products without any particular flair or soul. Nothing wrong with that, but not impression your seeking with a custom frame, for example.
Old 03-08-05, 07:51 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
so a surly is akin to a ferrari now?
Old 03-08-05, 10:41 AM
bostontrevor
Retrogrouch in Training

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by redfooj
so a surly is akin to a ferrari now?
No, exactly the opposite.

Now this, on the other hand.... https://www.cccycles.com/1x1.html or perhaps https://www.thylacinecycles.com/xc_xcsl.htm
Old 03-08-05, 04:37 PM
Thylacine
Industry Maven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Surly is a mass produced invention of a large company, and are good bikes for the money. That's it. I'm not sure if it's my brand of consumerism or what, but I just can't get excited by corporate mass produced bikes. It's like being excited by Subway.
Old 02-17-09, 02:39 PM
MZC

Bikes: Lots of Mark Zeh Cycles!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sub 11.0 Story

Hi Guys,

I was just looking online for some photos of the original Sub 11.0 dropouts for some long-overdue portfolio work. I see this posting is from a long time back, so here's a long-overdue story, if anyone is interested anymore...

Back at the end of the 1980's/beginning of the 1990's, Joe Breeze began selling his line of asian-built Breezers and his "Breeze-in" dropouts. The dropouts were an investment cast version of a compact and strong dropout design out of the 1920s (I'm pretty sure I've seen a bike with these in the vast collection of the German transportation museum in Munich-- I'll try to find this and post a picture, the next time I'm there) and made building rear triangles much-easier. These dropouts also noticeably enhanced the rigidity of rear triangles (I tested this out and was really surprised). Quality Bicycle Products, of Bloomington Minnesota was one of the wholesalers for these dropouts.

One day, Todd Cravens, one of the product managers at QBP, and an avid velodrome racing fan, approached me with the idea of designing and manufacturing an investment cast track dropout, with a similar type of connection to the stays. I designed these in AutoCAD and produced some first prototypes for them. QBP had these investment cast by one of their vendors in Asia and started selling them with the name of "Sub 11.0," since all great track riders can do the flying 200 under 11 seconds-- This is the standard of a great track rider.

As a bit of background, the single-speed scene hadn't even started then, so these types of dropouts were almost-exclusively the provence of the track scene.

They were an instant hit.

Not too long after that, QBP hired a fulltime industrial designer named Wakeman Massey (I think I got his name right) and started their Surly brand. They built the brand around stripped-down, rock-bottom-priced, all-action, well-designed cyclecross bikes. This quickly spread into a product line that included singles and whatever else is in the line today. I'm assuming that the single market quickly became much-larger than the market for track bikes, so they changed the Sub 11.0 dropouts to the Surly brand name.

Last Fall, at the Friedrichshafen bicycle show, I saw a version of these with fender or rack eyelets on a Surly, so they must still be in production. If you have any photos of the Sub 11.0 versions, I'd really appreciate being able to put them in my portfolio-- as with most things that I designed, I was late delivering and rushed the prototypes out of my shop without taking any decent photos of them.

Hope you guys have enjoyed using the parts. I think I still have the original engineering drawings for these in my file cabinet downstairs.

Best Regards,
MZ Munich, Germany
Old 02-17-09, 02:45 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Now this is why you pull a thread out of the grave. Awesome!
Old 02-17-09, 02:46 PM
cavernmech
Jonnys ilegitimate Father

Bikes: too many too list

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BostonFixed
What i'd like to know is what kind of name sub 11.0 is??
Sub 11 relates to flying 200m lap time....anything under 11 seconds is fast.
Old 02-23-09, 02:51 AM
Thylacine
Industry Maven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MZC
If you have any photos of the Sub 11.0 versions, I'd really appreciate being able to put them in my portfolio-- as with most things that I designed, I was late delivering and rushed the prototypes out of my shop without taking any decent photos of them.

Hope you guys have enjoyed using the parts. I think I still have the original engineering drawings for these in my file cabinet downstairs.
Nice story. Weird they would prototype them in Germany, but at least you'd know they'd be done right!

Do you still do prototype CNC work?
Old 03-09-09, 12:39 PM
jim-bob
hateful little monkey

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MZC
If you have any photos of the Sub 11.0 versions, I'd really appreciate being able to put them in my portfolio-- as with most things that I designed, I was late delivering and rushed the prototypes out of my shop without taking any decent photos of them.
Here's a shot of the sub 11.0 dropouts in their native environment - let me know if you want higher res or anything..

Old 04-12-09, 10:06 PM
bikesandtools

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are a few photos of an unused set. Let me know if you want anything different. If you really want me to, I can bead blast them clean.

Andrew

Last edited by bikesandtools; 04-12-09 at 10:14 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 04-13-09, 02:09 AM
Thylacine
Industry Maven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nah, but you can send them to me instead!
Old 08-13-10, 02:03 PM
MZC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Prototyping of Sub 11.0 dropouts

Hello, I didn't live in Germany, when I designed these, I lived in the US, in Wayzata, Minnesota, so there was a very-local and long-standing connexion between me and QBP.

Thanks for posting the links to photos. I found the original drawings for these and will soon post them on my Mark Zeh Cycles Facebook group page.

Best Regards,
Mark
Old 08-13-10, 02:06 PM
MZC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sub 11.0 dropouts

Hi Andrew, Do you still have those and will you sell them to me? I'd also happily exchange them for a new set of "Surly" dropouts, that are lying in my toolbox. Thanks, Mark
Old 08-13-10, 02:10 PM
MZC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Prototypes of Bus 11.0s

Originally Posted by Thylacine
Nice story. Weird they would prototype them in Germany, but at least you'd know they'd be done right!

Do you still do prototype CNC work?
Hi, The prototypes were made by me, on a non-CNC mill, in Wayzata, Minnesota. I used a rotating table and a set of real, old-fashioned engineering drawings to produce the first pair. I personally did the setups, put the parts on the rotating table and turned the cranks. The prototypes were sent to Taiwan, as samples, with the part drawings, for the patternmaker, who produced the investment-cast versions.

I do not any longer have machining capability. However, I am still completely involved as a designer.

Best Regards,
Mark
Old 08-13-10, 08:02 PM
silver_ghost

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a semi-related question: Why the "hood" type flange around the dropout? I understand this is done on BMX race bikes to prevent a person from being gouged by a protruding axle in a pile up. Do the Sub 11.0/Surly dropouts follow the same logic since these dropouts were intended for use on track bikes?

ps. Five years and 24 posts and no one has posted the link to Sheldon explaining why we're all wrong for calling them "dropouts". Wow!
Old 05-07-11, 07:14 PM
spikeB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Big Dig

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.