Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Leading a Couch2Century group for weight loss

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-15, 08:23 AM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm going to be leading a Couch2Century group next year. This is first going to be offered to the clinic where I had my bariatric surgery through and opened to the public as well. I'm doing this to 1. Help others on their journey and 2. Keep myself focused heading into my second year. As this is going to be for people trying to lose weight and not necessarily a competitive/high speed recreational group, I'm focusing on nutrition and slowly building miles to complete a Century in September, with 2-3 Metric/Metric Plus rides along the way. Since I live in the Northern Midwest (Northeast Indiana), riding will likely not start in earnest until late March/Early April. I have a pretty good plan laid out, but any suggestions you all have may prove helpful too. Fire away with ideas.
Old 12-12-15, 10:59 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Very cool. Build slow. Be consistent. Have fun.

Do a thread on progress and completion.
Old 12-13-15, 01:14 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts

Nice!
Old 12-13-15, 05:14 PM
Primitive Don
Champion of the Low End

Bikes: I have some bikes

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 11 Posts
Great idea, keep us posted.
Old 12-13-15, 05:48 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I think building slowly to able to do a Metric is what you need. I'd probably be aiming to do the Century in August, and build up with weekly 35 to 60 (say adding a few miles a week) group rides.
Old 12-14-15, 07:28 AM
bassjones

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have to build to the 35 first. I'm probably going to be leading people who will struggle with 10 miles at first. The plan is to build to 25 miles for a long ride by May then start stretching the long each week.
Old 12-14-15, 09:30 AM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
That's a great idea. Our C2C team (not weight loss oriented) had riders that struggled to ride 10 miles at the beginning (as well as some who had ridden 50+ miles before, but no previous centuries) and everybody who started our group century finished. Mileage from week to week never increased more than 10% over 6 months to build the base miles needed. It was kind of funny the last month to see everybody riding a metric century every weekend like it was nothing. We wound up with 4 groups speed wise and one of the strange things to me was watching riders who were blistering fast on 30 mile rides not being able to keep up those speeds once the rides got longer than 50 miles.

Some of the things that really helped me were: Team spirit, I tried 3 times to train for a century by myself and was unable to keep to a schedule, but disappointing teammates is a different story. Interval training, we met on Wednesday nights and did various interval training exercises with warm up and cool down times, the riders that made the effort to show up for every interval session breezed thru the century. Just riding, there was a lot of "bonus" rides on weekends in addition to the team long ride day, coaches, staff, teammates would just get together and ride somewhere, it mixed up the groups we rode with and made for a lot of fun, usually with lunch involved.

Not everybody made the century ride, about 25% of the people who were at the organizational meeting left (or were weeded out for having ridden a century) within the first month. Another 25% dropped out thru the 6 months of training (it really is a big project, and requires a commitment from families and riders alike).
Old 12-14-15, 09:33 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bassjones
We have to build to the 35 first. I'm probably going to be leading people who will struggle with 10 miles at first. The plan is to build to 25 miles for a long ride by May then start stretching the long each week.
Might want to push the Century into September then!
Old 12-14-15, 04:59 PM
vesteroid
Climbers Apprentice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish we had one of those programs here, I would volunteer to help out.
Old 12-15-15, 11:09 AM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bassjones
I'm going to be leading a Couch2Century group next year. This is first going to be offered to the clinic where I had my bariatric surgery through and opened to the public as well. I'm doing this to 1. Help others on their journey and 2. Keep myself focused heading into my second year. As this is going to be for people trying to lose weight and not necessarily a competitive/high speed recreational group, I'm focusing on nutrition and slowly building miles to complete a Century in September, with 2-3 Metric/Metric Plus rides along the way. Since I live in the Northern Midwest (Northeast Indiana), riding will likely not start in earnest until late March/Early April. I have a pretty good plan laid out, but any suggestions you all have may prove helpful too. Fire away with ideas.
If you can get just one person to follow your plan, then your plan will have worked. Any more riders that can follow the plan and finish the century are gravy. And don't worry if they don't lose as much weight as planned. The idea of riding the bike is to get more fit. Weight loss may follow, but not always, as a lot of that work has to occur on the input and not the output.

Good Luck. Keep us informed of what you plan for the upcoming week or two, and what actually occurred. Who know, maybe you'll get some people to follow your plan at a distance.

GH
Old 12-15-15, 07:53 PM
bassjones

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm going to create the training plan in Excel and set up a Facebook group/page, maybe a blog site.
Old 12-20-15, 06:24 PM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I rode all winter last year except one month when the average temp was like 5F :-). Been slacking lately on riding, need to fix that :-).
Old 12-20-15, 10:05 PM
bassjones

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've lost so much weight so fast that I am not tolerating cold weather very well.
Old 12-21-15, 09:26 AM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well I'm with you there Bass as far as feeling cold, but not so much outside riding.....wool socks help both on and off the bike :-)
Old 12-22-15, 09:18 AM
gabedad

Bikes: 2014 Trek Madone 5.2 2012 Canondale Synapse 6 alum. Gary Fisher Wahoo Panasonic DX 2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As one bariatric rider to another - great idea!

cold weather is tough - especially the 1st year.

My hands are still always cold and this is year 4