Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Commute type backpack?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Commute type backpack?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-18, 10:41 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Commute type backpack?

I have two camelbak type rigs, which don't hold much, & generally use an REI Flash 18

minimal pack, but it is sweaty & shapeless. Looking for a pack that can hold a day's worth of stuff including a pair of shoes

has mesh/ airflow back panel, rides well on the bike, & is reasonably aerodynamic.

Maybe something like this: https://www.deuter.com/AU/ae/bike/ra...7318-blue.html

Suggestions?
Old 10-16-18, 12:51 AM
raisinberry777

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I used something similar for a while, just slightly larger, and that did the job well:

https://www.deuter.com/AU/ae/hiking/...0218-blue.html

The downside of using a backpack is the sweaty back problem. If you don't have to carry anything particularly large and solid (eg a laptop), a bikepacking seat bag may be a good option, and I recently started doing this for commuting with a Topeak Backloader:

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...969-backloader

With the 10l version it fits food, clothes, and shoes with loads of room to spare, and tightens up easily so the spare capacity isn't hanging loosely at the back.
Old 10-16-18, 05:33 AM
JasonD67

Bikes: BMC Teammachine SLR02 Disc, Cannondale CAAD 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I found that a messenger bag works really well. I got one of these from Timbuk2: https://www.timbuk2.com/pages/custom...ze/4/customize
Old 10-16-18, 06:39 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Messenger bags exist for a reason. I used to commute (50 miles round trip) using a Chrome messenger bag.

Sure it got sweaty but the load distribution was worth it.

Wventually even I ended up putting a rack and panniers on the road rig I was commuting on. World of difference and definitely the way to go.
Old 10-16-18, 08:29 AM
dwolsten

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 1995 Trek 470

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If a smaller bag is sufficient, I really like my Osprey Syncro hydration pack. You can take out the hydration bladder if you don't need it (and in Europe they sell versions without it altogether), and it has an aluminum frame that suspends the backpack off your back for very good ventilation. It's extremely light, and the version I have has a 15L volume. I can actually stuff my laptop computer in it. It's not cheap though.
Old 10-16-18, 09:12 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001

Sure it got sweaty but the load distribution was worth it.

Wventually even I ended up putting a rack and panniers on the road rig I was commuting on. World of difference and definitely the way to go.
Yep. Got my first Timbuk2 back in the late 90s. Messenger bags distribute the load so it's not pulling straight down.

But ultimately, a rack and pannier is the way to go if you have more than a few miles like I normally do. My usual commute is 1.75 miles each way, but whey I did the bike-train-bike commute to a different state (17 bike miles round trip), I use a pannier.
Old 10-16-18, 09:36 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have an Osprey Momentum 30 which has served me very well. They no longer make it but there's a 32 version now. Not cheap, but a high quality, durable product.
Old 10-16-18, 09:52 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 91 Posts
Germany’s Red Rebane makes a pack that converts between backpack and pannier. It works very well! Not cheap though, and the site is in German.

https://www.red-rebane.de/puristpro.html
Old 10-16-18, 12:37 PM
Lava
Reno/Seattle/NYC

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone 105

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Aubergine
Germany’s Red Rebane makes a pack that converts between backpack and pannier. It works very well! Not cheap though, and the site is in German.

https://www.red-rebane.de/puristpro.html
That seems like a nice option if you have a rack. It's always nicer to not have the load on your back if you can manage it.

I don't have a rack on my bikes, and use an Ortlieb Messenger Bag as my commuting bag. Used to have the smaller Velocity model, but it was often too small for everything I needed for work: a change of clothes, shoes, lunch, laptop, etc...The Messenger Bag size is just fine, though.
Old 10-16-18, 01:14 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I commuted for work for two weeks this summer in France. I had to carry a backpack style getup kind of like posted above. Not long enough like some people on here commute for years, but enough to know I was freaking miserable sweaty. I'd much rather have had panniers and something off my body.

I was keeping the power in the right zone, the only place I sweated other than my brow was a pool on my back. Yuck.

It was about 25min to work and 32ish way back, one good "hill" there and back.
Old 10-17-18, 11:20 AM
woodcraft

Thanks for the feedback.

Leaning toward Osprey Talon 22- big enough, airflow & seems to be an all-time favorite. Color choices could be better.

Also tried on & liked Gregory Citro 25

My daily work commute is short, but involves hundreds to thousands of lbs of tools & materials,

so the bike trips are for various non-work activities.

Don't really get the messenger bag thing beyond an urban trips-to-the-office range, but if you say so.

IME, it's non-stop elbowing of the load out of the way.
Old 10-17-18, 11:37 AM
nayr497

Bikes: How'd I get this many?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lava
That seems like a nice option if you have a rack. It's always nicer to not have the load on your back if you can manage it.

I don't have a rack on my bikes, and use an Ortlieb Messenger Bag as my commuting bag. Used to have the smaller Velocity model, but it was often too small for everything I needed for work: a change of clothes, shoes, lunch, laptop, etc...The Messenger Bag size is just fine, though.
Just to put it out there...Axiom makes a rear rack that will fit on bikes without eyelets, goes on the quick release skewer/axle. Years ago I used to commute with a backpack. These days I'm all about a rear rack, would never give them up. Just sayin'. I love racks on commuter/grocery getters!
Old 10-17-18, 03:12 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
+1 on bikepacking seat packs. They're lighter and more aero than racks and panniers, and won't give you a sweaty back either.
Old 10-17-18, 06:22 PM
bleui

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like this one from Vaude, the gap is quite big which supposed to give airflow and load balancing, it's not entirely sweat-free but better than some of the mesh-style backpack I've used

Old 10-17-18, 07:15 PM
fstshrk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I have the osprey radial backpack. Most comfortable and breathable backpack I have ever owned.
Tons better on the bike as compared to my messenger bag.
Old 10-18-18, 07:55 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by fstshrk
I have the osprey radial backpack. Most comfortable and breathable backpack I have ever owned.
Tons better on the bike as compared to my messenger bag.
Have one of these too. Really like it breathable and has some nice conveniences (kick-stand). Waist strap is useless though,

Old 10-18-18, 09:46 PM
woodcraft

Originally Posted by GeneO
Have one of these too. Really like it breathable and has some nice conveniences (kick-stand). Waist strap is useless though,

I tried that on at the shop- very well done for the laptop-wielding commuter.

The Vaude pack above also a great suggestion- the kind of thing I'm looking for.
Old 10-20-18, 09:01 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Here's another option, Macpac rapaki.
https://www.macpac.co.nz/packs/endur...e_active_packs
Old 10-25-18, 05:27 AM
tedder987

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I have been using the Deuter Race EXP Air that the OP suggested for commuting for the last 2 years (33 mile round trip, ~900' climbing each way). Absolutely great pack and not sweaty at all. Very comfortable even when heavy

BUT forget it if you are carrying shoes + clothes + lunch, its just not big enough unless you are wearing flip-flops or have toddler-sized feet. My 15" macbook pro just barely fits into it and if you are carrying a computer forget any type of footwear.

I suggest getting something 22+ litres. I use an old crappy LL bean pack about once/2 weeks to stage clothes to/from the office but it really makes me appreciate the Deuter when I wear it.
Old 10-25-18, 10:15 AM
woodcraft

Got the Osprey Talon 22 & went on the first couple of rides.

Good so far- comfortable, mesh back panel works well, holds a good amount, easy to get on & off without adjusting shoulder straps,

can even get a bottle in & out of the side pocket while riding. The straps don't flap much in the wind & wet clothes from spin class go in the back mesh pocket.

The wrap around waist belt is unnecessary on the bike but good for hiking. Hi vis color will probably look dingy after a while.