Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

All I want is an Odometer/Trip meter

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 08-16-19, 04:53 AM
Mr. Wiggles

Bikes: Rans Stratus - Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I’m a 66-year-old tourist. Weak eyes and slow legs. I don’t actually MIND having a speedometer, it just isn’t relevant to me. What I would like to find is a cyclocomputer that works like most gps running watches - one that provides the ability to interchange data fields. I want my largest data field to be the trip meter. I read reviews and it appears that some MAY do this, but it’s never specifically spelled out. Any recommendations?
Old 08-16-19, 05:51 AM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you have a smart phone, download the free Cyclemeter app, it works great and is easy to use and has a ton of functions.
Old 08-16-19, 07:29 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I just use Strava. It keeps track of my weekly/monthly/yearly mileage that way.
Old 08-16-19, 07:50 AM
beach_cycle

Bikes: 2021 Electra Townie 7D equipped; 2019 Monterey 26" Seven Speed Trike

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
With a smartphone, there are options to download various free bike computers. I currently use one called Urban Biker, and keep my phone out of site during a ride. But it logs things like miles traveled, time, average speed, much more, and displays route maps. I log that data later, but it also preserves it, for easy reference. Basic and doesn't require the resources of bigger apps such as Starva. Works excellent for my needs.
Old 08-16-19, 08:27 AM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
You could get a Garmin 500 cheap. You can customize the screens to have just one field of measure or up to 6.
Old 08-16-19, 01:59 PM
Mr. Wiggles

Bikes: Rans Stratus - Surly Disc Trucker

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I guess you guys are right. I’ll download an app and give it a try.

thanks
Old 08-16-19, 02:28 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3340 Post(s)
Liked 3,439 Times in 1,738 Posts
Since you want the ability to set the type of data displayed, and its size, the simplest unit that does that is probably the Garmin Edge 130.

It lets you pick what you want to display on each screen.

Garmin Edge 130

Last edited by terrymorse; 08-16-19 at 07:33 PM. Reason: typo fix, added image
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 08-16-19, 06:32 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiggles
I’m a 66-year-old tourist. Weak eyes and slow legs. I don’t actually MIND having a speedometer, it just isn’t relevant to me. What I would like to find is a cyclocomputer that works like most gps running watches - one that provides the ability to interchange data fields. I want my largest data field to be the trip meter. I read reviews and it appears that some MAY do this, but it’s never specifically spelled out. Any recommendations?
Garmins are configurable for field count and content, with fewer fields make the top ones larger. Look at older refurbished or used models to save money. The Edge 500 was their first small GPS, Edge 200 a lower cost version.

Smart phone screens often aren't very readable in sunlight.

Edge 500:

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 08-16-19 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-16-19, 08:22 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Just get a basic wired computer. I bought a box of 10 sigma bc 906 for fifty bucks on ebay a few years ago so I could have the same basic computer on every bike.
Likes For kingston:
Old 08-26-19, 05:42 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 254 Posts
INBIKE IC-321
https://www.ebay.com/itm/INBIKE-Wate...m3b36ac0f1f:g:

The Inbike IC-321 is a great unit. I have been using this unit for more than two years.
I have them installed on six ancient Schwinn bicycles from the early seventies (Collegiates and Suburbans).
I have also installed this unit on my neighbor's Kent GMC Denali 21 speed.
On all seven of these bicycles, I fabricated a mount to hang the SENSOR from the Left Side Front Axle Nut, RATHER THAN ATTACHING IT VIA THE SUPPLIED ZIP TIES & DOUBLE-SIDED MOUNTING TAPE THAT YOU'D USE TO ATTACH THE SENSOR TO THE FRONT FORK.
It should be No Problem At All if your Fork is round and "broomstick like" rather than very thin and blade-like such as an '72 Varsity fork or the thin tubular Schwinn fork seen on the '72 Continental/Suburban.
Another thing that you should know, the Spoke magnet is in a lightweight plastic housing and I'd suggest that you add a tiny drop of Epoxy to secure the magnet to the plastic housing. The magnet that is supplied with the Inbike IC-321 fits perfectly on the spoke of the Kent GMC Denali 21 speed bicycle. However, on the ancient Schwinn bicycles, slight modification was required to use the magnet. The reason is that on the ancient Schwinn bicycles, the magnet as mounted without modification is angled slightly. You can file the plastic slightly and using Epoxy to affix it to the ancient Schwinn spoke - OR- you can buy a generic Speedo magnet for approximately $1 from any one of hundreds of Chinese sellers............you want the magnet with the metal screw.....an example will be shown in a following link.
For mounting this Inbike IC-321 on the 31.8mm diameter handlebar of the Kent GMC Denali, we took a $2 generic Garmin mounting arm and EPOXIED the Inbike IC -321 mount DIRECTLY ON TOP OF THE PORTION OF THE GENERIC GARMIN ARM WHERE YOU'D ORDINARILY ATTACH THE GARMIN UNIT. We were required to do this because the attachment is slightly different. NO WORRIES BECAUSE IT (the surface mount) MATCHES THE COLOR AND TEXTURE EXACTLY AND MOUNTS FLUSH WITH NO GAPS OR OVERHANGS. I took Black sewing thread and tied the underneath section of the INBIKE IC-321 to the underneath section of the generic Garmin mount...............once that is tied and held in place......You then saturate the thread with EPOXY and everything is SOLID and You cannot see any glue or anything Unless you lay on the ground and look up from the floor at the underside.
Obviously, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DESIGN YOUR OWN MOUNT with a Generic Garmin arm, but in my case, she wanted something that looked fancy and perfect. She didn't really care for the extremely simple rubber ring and plastic mount that is supplied with the INBIKE IC-321.
It is a really good basic WIRELESS Speedo and Odometer from a functionality and Display size standpoint.
Yes, the the Sensor Mounting method of zip ties and double sided super tape is not my favorite.
I'd prefer a design that would have an integrated metal hanging bracket that would HANG the sensor ON the front axle nut. I designed and modified it such that it would work flawlessly on my ancient Schwinns or any ancient bicycle. There are many ways that you could modify and Macguyver one to hang on the Left front axle nut like I did. There is no reason though IF you like the Zip tie to the Fork and double sided tape and it works with your bicycle's forks. It will easily work as supplied on Round BroomStick like Forks BUT IF YOU'VE GOT SOMETHING ANCIENT WITH Ashtabula blade forks or ancient thin tubular forks, you may not get a very stable mount....................that is why I mentioned the modification.............................IF YOUR BIKE HAS ROUND BROOMSTICK LIKE FORKS, YOU SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEMS MOUNTING IT SECURELY AS IT COMES FROM THE FACTORY.

Universal Magnet....screw type that differs from the one supplied with the IC-321.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Sigma-G...-/183759469741

Generic Mounting Arm for Garmin type...... you'll have to EPOXY the IC-321 mount on top of this, as the twist lock isn't the same!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bike-Bicycl...hash=item3d90a

YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT THE INBIKE IC-321 has two CR2032 3v button batteries. One is in the SENSOR, and one is in the DISPLAY COMPUTER. This Chinese seller says that batteries are included. You must pay attention to that because it varies among different sellers in ShenZhen and Hong Kong. Most of the US based sellers include the batteries. Typically you'll pay $12.99 to $13.99 (most reasonable USA based sellers) from US sources and you'll pay between $9.99 and about $11.40 from best priced, reliable Shenzhen and Hong Kong sources for these WIRELESS VERSIONS.
There are no differences between the US and China stock, as it is the exact same WIRELESS VERSION......however Pay Attention to IF THE BATTERIES ARE SUPPLIED OR NOT SUPPLIED.
There is a WIRED VERSION that you can buy for about $5 to $7 BUT WHY BOTHER WITH WIRES WHEN THE Wireless INBIKE IC-321 works flawlessly. I will point out that UNLESS you are going more than ZERO to 4 mph, you'll get something on the display but it won't be realistic or stable, IF YOU'RE GOING AT LEAST 4 mph , it will read with great accuracy, assuming that you set the Wheel circumference that matches your tires/wheel size.
Tip: Remove the Battery from the Display-Computer/Speedo UNIT to Zero out and re-set or reprogram the specs.
It is simple to set up once you figure it out...............The Chinese translated English directions are probably harder to read than Vintage Schwinn's posts.
It is a great little unit that gives you a Nice READOUT of SPEED, ODOMETER, and CLOCK for under $14.
*****INBIKE IC-321 Wireless bicycle speedo*****************
Old 09-18-19, 08:00 PM
hefeweizen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
I like these.
https://www.nashbar.com/cateye-padro...04001n/p431151
Old 09-20-19, 09:06 PM
willieb

Bikes: 2006 Trek Madone 5.2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiggles
I guess you guys are right. I’ll download an app and give it a try.

thanks
I second Cyclemeter. It is very customizable and will do what you need for free.
Old 09-20-19, 09:12 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
I use Strava mostly to track mileage and ride metrics.
RideWithGPS has better real-time monitoring during the rides. For the data (other than the map), it has a 2-page display with selectable fields (hold down over the field you wish to change).

I tend to have MPH for the large one. Time in one field. Distance, and a few other metrics. Riding time, average speed, etc.