Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

1992 Trek 1400 road bike, Is it worth fixing?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

1992 Trek 1400 road bike, Is it worth fixing?

Old 08-26-19, 10:55 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheez View Post
This forum wouldn't allow me to post as it has a limit on # of posts allowed for new members...very inconvenient.

Thanks for the insights to the last two posters above me. Nice bike setup you got there.. and to the last poster, wish you posted that store link earlier so I can buy wheels from them instead.. I already ordered last night a Vintage Sun Mistral 700c rear wheel with 7 SPD cassette and a Vintage Araya 700c front wheel on ebay for under $140... aren't they from the 80's??!! It sounds old.... they look ugly too.

Anyways, I ordered all the rest I need to get my biking going:
- Continental Gatorskin tires
- Continental tubes 2 pack + 2 more pack for back up
- Shimano HG71 chain
- a pair of cycling shoes w/ cleats
- 2 water bottles
- Flat tire repair kit + pump

And turned out my front & rear brakes are shot...rusted/seized cables. LBS said $80 to fix that + new handlebar tape is required... I will have them install the chain as well (I don't have the tools to do it myself). All this will come out to over $500....
$500 to fix up a 25 yr old, mid range bike and you are homeless?
I hope that bike has a lot of sentimental value
Old 08-27-19, 05:38 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
It sounds like you have chosen your course of action, but IMHO, if someone is homeless and looking for basic transportation, you could have accomplished this for much less. I've picked up complete, brand name bikes from the 1990s in good working order for well under half of what you are spending and didn't have to go through all the work. A quick look at my area Craig's List shows a half dozen Treks and Specs, some a lot newer, for $125-$300. If your area has a bike co-op, they can be a great resource as well.
Old 08-27-19, 06:25 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
His first post was too short and didn't provide any useful info for me....
It was useful. You lacked the ability to interpret it correctly. The only sin committed by that post was assuming you were willing to zoom out and look at things intelligently.
Likes For Steamer:
Old 08-27-19, 06:28 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The saddles on the old 90's Trek road bikes crack me up. They look like saddles that are currently available for comfort bikes. But the rest of the bike looks great, IMO.
Old 08-27-19, 07:43 AM
Cheez

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT View Post
$500 to fix up a 25 yr old, mid range bike and you are homeless?
I hope that bike has a lot of sentimental value
Guys, like I said I can't let go of my bike as Marcus said it has sentimental value... it was a gift from a special family member...oh well I guess my thread topic was misleading... sorry about that. And I didn't think about ebay and craigslist before posting this thread....but I'm still glad I did cause I got some valuable info.

No the seat was upgraded 27 years ago...don't remember the name brand/model but it's a chic looking white leather perforated saddle that's got letters "Turbo" on the back. It looked sexy back then but still doesn't look bad today. And yes it is lighter than the stock saddle that came with the bike.

Last edited by Cheez; 08-27-19 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-27-19, 04:27 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 85 Posts
Guys, like I said I can't let go of my bike as Marcus said it has sentimental value... it was a gift from a special family member...oh well I guess my thread topic was misleading... sorry about that. And I didn't think about ebay and craigslist before posting this thread....but I'm still glad I did cause I got some valuable info.
Now if I had known that originally, I would have suggested checking CL for a donor bike and swapping the needed parts on to your bike, or shopping in the C&V for sale area. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage-sales/

Heck, I'd have sold you a mint 7 speed wheelset with tires off that white 91 Trek 400 for $100 & shipping. Probably exactly what was on it new.
Old 08-27-19, 04:40 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1995 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo -Grateful Dead Ed, Firmstrong Urban Deluxe, Electra Cruiser 1, Raleigh Special 3

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
These era Trek aluminum road bikes are very robust. I put one together I had acquired just a frame and fork. The rear dropouts will accommodate 126mm or 130mm hubs since it is set at 128mm.
Old 08-27-19, 05:18 PM
Cheez

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed View Post
Now if I had known that originally, I would have suggested checking CL for a donor bike and swapping the needed parts on to your bike, or shopping in the C&V for sale area. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage-sales/

Heck, I'd have sold you a mint 7 speed wheelset with tires off that white 91 Trek 400 for $100 & shipping. Probably exactly what was on it new.
Thanks for the kind offer...I would've bought them from you if I visited the forum earlier and save me good amount of $$....and sorry for my rudeness when I replied to you the first time...
Old 09-07-19, 10:17 AM
Cheez

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Got the bike up and running. Here are the pics Riding my bicycle to work today..
Old 09-07-19, 10:38 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 66 Posts
awesome, now in between riding it and work. Please pick that trash up out of your yard, it looks horrendous.
Old 09-07-19, 06:11 PM
Cheez

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval View Post
awesome, now in between riding it and work. Please pick that trash up out of your yard, it looks horrendous.
Thanks lol wait till you see the neighbors around here.. my place is pretty impressively clean compared to them

It was a horrendous day today.. I rode to work (15 miles round trip) and got sick really bad... ate too much and rode my bike without building up my muscle and endurance...haven't ridden my bike for 25 years.
Old 09-07-19, 07:35 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 66 Posts

It was a horrendous day today.. I rode to work (15 miles round trip) and got sick really bad... ate too much and rode my bike without building up my muscle and endurance...haven't ridden my bike for 25 years.
just ride slow, it comes back to you