Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Dreaded mystery noise - help please!!!

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Dreaded mystery noise - help please!!!

Old 07-20-19, 10:27 AM
Insomnium_75

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UPDATE:

Today I've stripped the BB completely, regreased and reassembled.
Early signs are good - there was no noise when I took the bike for a short test ride.

Fingers crossed the problem is sorted - the downside is it's cost me £85 in new tools
Old 09-02-19, 08:14 AM
Insomnium_75

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crank bolt coming loose

Originally Posted by Insomnium_75
UPDATE:

Today I've stripped the BB completely, regreased and reassembled.
Early signs are good - there was no noise when I took the bike for a short test ride.

Fingers crossed the problem is sorted - the downside is it's cost me £85 in new tools
UPDATE: All is not well..... I need some more help with this if possible.....

My bike was noise free until I'd ridden it for a couple of days, then slowly the "ticking" noise came back.
Upon inspecting the bike again I noticed that the crank bolt has started coming ever so slightly loose - nothing more than an 1/8th of an allen key turn but still enough for me to notice.

Since then I've been back and forth tightening the crank bolt when required, (mid ride usually), and removing/reinstalling the crankset when able to.
I've even replaced the entire crank as I was at the point where I thought there must be a fault with the original, or it must be slightly damaged in some way as to be causing slight play even when tightened.

Once reinstalled and tightenend to the correct torque, I then adjust the preload spring until it cannot expand any further, tighten the lock srew, and finally check the crank for play.
The next ride is fine for approximately 8 miles, and then the noise comes back. Usually, I'll find the crank bolt will be very slightly loose, but tightening won't stop the issue.
I generally have to go through the whole remove/reinstall/tighten/check for play scenario to eliminate the noise, albeit temporarily.

I'm at my wits end with this now, I'm £200 worse off (although I'm kitted out with tools for the future), and I have still have the issue.

The only things left I can think of to try are:
  • to add one or two extra BB spacers to try and eliminate the play - extra spacers were not reuqired when the BB was new however, which is why I haven't done this yet.
  • adding threadlock to the crank bolt - again, when I removed the crank I didn't see any evidence of threadlock (LBS fitted new BB last year), so have been reluctant to go down this route.
As always any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-02-19, 10:24 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 343 Posts
My "click" was driving me crazy, after hours of removing, re-installing, I discovered it was my shoe lace tips hitting the crank.
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 09-03-19, 07:35 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Just to confirm, you're just hearing the sound when pedaling? No sound when coasting? No difference when road is smooth vs. a lot of road chatter? Not sure that your symptoms sound like the headset but it looks like you adjusted the headset ... did you re-grease? Sounds like a long shot but it's fairly easy to do and that just solved a clicking problem I had although my symptoms were different. Good luck ... those noises can make you crazy