Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Biking in the Rain - Rain pants

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Biking in the Rain - Rain pants

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-19, 11:11 AM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
If I want to stay dry on my commute I'll wear some MEC waterproof/breathable rain pants.

I will say that if I'm doing any sort of long/energetic ride I generally forgo the rain pants because I'll sweat too much in them, but they are great if I'm just commuting and taking it relatively easy on the bike.

I see that someone mentioned Showers Pass up thread and I can vouch for the quality of their products. I don't own any of their rain pants, but do have a jacket and some waterproof socks that are great for commuting in rainy weather.
Old 10-07-19, 11:18 AM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
I found a rain suit at War-Mart for last Summer's tour. The whole suit cost $20.00 but it was a youth size and only the pants fit. They are simple, elastic waist and ball up small enough to fit in a pocket of my rain jacket. It was a hot tour and in the end I didn't wear them, but a test walk through tall, wet grass left me with dry pants.
Good luck
Old 10-07-19, 01:53 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Irenicus
Well what if I told you I didn't want to be soaking wet for work? I'd prefer to arrive dry...

One way or the other, you will NOT arrive dry. There is no way to avoid it. You're either going to get wet from the rain, or you're going to get wet from your own perspiration. Mostly it will be a combination of both. The best functioning, most expensive brands (many will be mentioned here) will only help somewhat. Your challenge is to decide how wet you're willing to arrive versus how much you're willing to spend.

Focus on fit, BREATHABILITY, and comfort for best results. In general, the most waterproof garments are the least breathable. The most breathable are often not the most protective. The really expensive stuff tends to do better at both, but there are NONE which are perfect.

Invest some time and energy thinking about how you want to handle the reality of arriving anywhere from somewhat wet to soaked.

-Kedosto
Old 10-07-19, 02:16 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I got a pair from Showers Pass last year? or the year before. solid features & benefits

double wall design provides added strength & a little thermal insulation
reflective stripe
double velcro ankle closure so ankle bands are not necessary
cycling specific so the knees flex well
Old 10-07-19, 03:45 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Having waterproof pants and jacket is the way to go. I know some say that if your fabric can breathe then you'll be wet from sweat anyway. However, if you don't push too hard you'll be fine. These days I hardly ever break a sweat any more on the way to work, even in the summer. So having rainproof gear doesn't mean sweat.

Personally I don't bother with it because I have a clothes dryer and showers at work if I'm soaking wet from the rain.
Old 10-07-19, 04:23 PM
Litespeedlouie

Bikes: Litespeed, O'Brien, Specialized, Fuji

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I can vouch for the J&G mentioned above:
https://www.bicycleclothing.com/Wate...ain-Pants.html
I asked them about sizing, and they were wrong (too big); I had to exchange the first pair, return shipping at my expense. No problems after seven years; made in Oregon.

My commute is only a couple of miles, but I wear the rain pants over street clothes and don't hammer, avoiding excessive sweating. When it's rainy, it's also usually cool, but they also provide warmth when it's just cold. Also, I tend to sweat more on the upper body, and can control that to some extent by layering. Seattle weather is unpredictable and I also use full fenders for commuting. I don't use the rain pants for "serious" road riding.

Last edited by Litespeedlouie; 10-08-19 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-07-19, 07:05 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I ended up with some Showers Pass convertible pants (a good deal on the 'Bay). I use them as knickers if it's just a bit wet or I don't particularly mind the bottom half of my legs getting wet, or full on pants if it's even more wet/sludgy.

Fenders are great for drizzle and after rain, but I prefer to add pants for heavier, cold rain to keep my thighs from getting soaked through (and frozen).

I'm still excited to try out my Gore Shake Dry jacket, but I haven't encountered cool rain since purchasing it ~3 months ago.
Old 10-09-19, 07:55 AM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
One important thing to remember as a commuter is that you often want to pack rain gear on those "chance of afternoon rain" days so you want gear that is packable and lightweight.
I had a pair of showerpass pants and aside from being as waterproof as fishnet stockings during heavy rain, they were too thick so unless it was cold, they were too hot. They also were big and bulky so if took up lots of room in my bag. Perhaps perfect in cool, drizzly Pacific NW but in New York with tropical-like downpours and humid weather, not so good.
Recently I bought a rain jacket from 02rainwear. Cheap ($25), bright yellow color, breathable, lightweight and packable. I've worn it during hours-long rainy rides and it kept me completely dry (and they make pants too). Only downside is the material is not too durable so will rip if you snag a sharp object so don't expect decades of use.
Old 10-09-19, 09:51 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by bjsbike
it's dangerous if biking in raining
Not usually. I've ridden in some pretty heavy downpours, and the bike and brakes work fine. Visibility and high winds are far bigger problems than the rain itself.
While riding in thick fog is a whole lot more comfortable than riding in rain, I'm pretty sure it's much more dangerous.
Old 10-09-19, 10:43 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,059 Times in 1,078 Posts
Fenders + rain cape keep me dry from the knees up, while allowing air circulation to prevent sweating. Waterproof hiking boots and wool socks keep my feet warm and dry. If it's windy though, all bets are off. If it's pouring rather than the typical Portland drizzle, it's hard to keep the water out.

I also have some RainLegs that cover the front of my legs to just below the knees. Those plus a Showers Pass jacket do a better job of keeping the rain off, but inside the rain jacket it's tough to keep from getting wet with sweat. I've tried various full rain pants, but find them too hot.

These days I wear wool knickers and change at work, and go with the rain cape.
Old 10-10-19, 02:43 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
The problem I run into (and I am sure others as well) is that clothing that will keep you dry from the rain will make you wet from sweat. Yes, some good technical fabrics can help mitigate the compromise, but it is still there.

I now focus less on “how do I keep from getting wet?” and more on “how do I dry out quickly?”

That said, the best luck I’ve had were with some shell pants that were waterproof on the front of the thighs and more breathable fabric elsewhere. Do not remember the brand.
I always wear bike specific riding gear and change clothes at work. There's really no better option unless your commute is really short.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 10-10-19, 06:04 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by bjsbike
it's dangerous if biking in raining
Meh.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.