Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

700x35 from 700x45

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

700x35 from 700x45

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-19, 09:02 AM
Bob12Duzn

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
700x35 from 700x45

Hi eveyone,

This is the first year I've exclusively commuted to work via cycling since the middle of March. I'm considering continuing my commute through the winter and wondered what size range I can work with when changing from my original 700x45 tires that came on my bike. I want to replace them with a winter studded tire. From other forum threads I've read, Schwalbe seems to be a highly recommended brand. I've found a tire I think I'd like, but the closest size I've been able to find compared to my original 700x45 is a studded 700x35. The bike is a Specialized Crossroads. Is 10mm narrower too much of a change on the rim, and what can I expect with performance?

I've considered that narrower is a less desirable direction to go for snow conditions, but since the size is manufactured, it must be effective to a point, correct? My commute is 3 miles each direction with about 1 mile of MUP that is not maintained in the winter. I expect to walk that section on snowier days. The rest of the commute is city streets in a small town where I can avoid excessive traffic by the routes I take.
Old 10-19-19, 09:33 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience riding in the snow but bought some Marathon Winter (700x35) tires a couple of years ago. They work well on ice or packed snow but not really feasible for fresh snow. Below is a picture of my first ride where I went through some virgin snow for a short stretch. Riding on that section took 300+W to go 10kph (6mph). Fun but not sustainable for long.

4-6" of virgin powder

35mm Schwalbe Marathon Winter Performance tire
Old 10-19-19, 10:13 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
deep snow on a hard surface, I prefer skinny.

Actually even on packed snow I'd prefer skinny.

Off road is a different story. Snow also has so many variables. fluffy? wet? fresh? days old frozen crusty stuff? fresh tracks? all tracked up?

bottom line you'll be fine on the 35's, other than giving up some of the plush cush of the bigger tire.

Old 10-19-19, 10:17 AM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
700x35 will be fine on hard packed snow and ice. If you want to float on top of fresh and/or deep snow, you pretty much need a fat bike.
Old 10-19-19, 11:28 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
I commute ~9miles each way on pavement. My studded winter tires are 26x1.65 which is about 42mm. My rims are 1.5 inches which is about 38mm. Skinnier tires hill help your bike cut through the snow down to the pavement, or ice, as the case may be. I am good up to 3" of loose snow. Above that, my speed is too slow to make riding to work practical.

For me, the real "a-ha" moment came when I realized (thanks to bikeforums) that tire pressure was important.

I run Suomi Nokian W106's and max pressure of 65psi is good for dry pavement. 30-45psi seems to work better for icy streets. And 20-25psi for deep loose snow. But on packed snow, ~32-35psi works well for me.

FWIW, I remember watching WRC rally driving and all the teams's studded snow tires were thin. A team tech explained they wanted the cars to cut through the snow, not float on it.
Old 10-19-19, 05:09 PM
Bob12Duzn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. As far as width, will I be able to fit a 700x35 to a rim that came with a 700x45 on it?
Old 10-19-19, 05:29 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob12Duzn
Thanks for the replies. As far as width, will I be able to fit a 700x35 to a rim that came with a 700x45 on it?
Of course. Be warned the Schwalbes are wire-bead and you will probably bruise your knuckles getting them on/off. Also, they're heavy--800gram or so each.

Other thing...how much traction sand does Your Fair City throw down? Fine fraction sand can foul the studs, ruining their grip on ice....which is a reason to go bigger (more studs walk back those losses).
Old 10-19-19, 07:23 PM
Bob12Duzn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Of course. Be warned the Schwalbes are wire-bead and you will probably bruise your knuckles getting them on/off. Also, they're heavy--800gram or so each.

Other thing...how much traction sand does Your Fair City throw down? Fine fraction sand can foul the studs, ruining their grip on ice....which is a reason to go bigger (more studs walk back those losses).
Not sure if they use sand at all on the paved roads here, just salt. I'll keep looking for wider than 35mm if I can find them. Thanks for the heads up regarding fit. This is new to me, as far as changing to different size compatibility. Also, I've never done any winter riding, so I suspect I should start by trying it out first before I go and buy tires.
Old 10-20-19, 09:38 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
45 rear 35 front @ 45psi was working best for me. I found that winter riding wasn't for me, so it was shortlived.