Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek Domane 4.5 Discontinued?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-10-16, 07:15 AM
roddhall

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I see that the 2016 Domane 4.5 (non-disc) is not among the standard list of Domane models on the Trek website. I did get a link via chat and see it is listed on a "hidden" page with an updated and lower price. My LBS has most sizes of the 4.5 on "closeout" pricing. It seems pretty early in the season to discontinue a model. Was there some design issue or other problem with this bike that should cause me to not consider it?
Old 03-10-16, 08:02 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6477 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
I doubt the frame is unique to that build. It is used on other models. And the parts are all standard. What could be wrong with it? Just that it isn't selling as planned, and Trek is taking the opportunity to trim its lineup. Maybe the disc version is more popular. Or the equipment on the 4.3 makes it more popular. Something like that. But on closeout it should be a great deal.

Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 03-10-16, 09:32 AM
Looigi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It, along with many other bikes, components and accessories are on sale during Trek Fest: Trek Fest | Shop by collection | Equipment | Trek Bikes
Old 03-10-16, 09:51 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Trek Remedy 9.8, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Trek Fuel Ex, Niner Sir9,

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 6456 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 64 Posts
Trek has a sale going on right now and has pretty good prices on several models; this is probably one of them. Honestly, I think the sweet spot in the Domane lineup is the 5.2. You have the seat mast system instead of a regular seatpost, and you get more compliance from it.
Old 03-10-16, 06:48 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 8 Posts
They've got a whole slew of sizes across all three warehouses and it's not listed as "closeout."

As others have said it's Trek Fest time. The fact that it's not on the website is also not (entirely) a good indicator. Considering for a solid 6-weeks they had a computer rendered photo of the Domane 6.2 disc with a Dura Ace crank after Trek World announced it.

A lot of bike manufacturers (Trek being one of them) has started to move away from model year product naming conventions. It's not uncommon for them to release new colors of bikes midway through a "product cycle" window. So it's very possible that they might be changing the color of the bike, for example, and have it pulled it from the website for the time being.

I've also noticed, based on the last two years, that Trek has started to wind down their inventory much earlier. This way when Trek World hits, the warehouse is empty, the retailers are demanding new product and their wallets are open.