Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I hate wind

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I hate wind

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-18, 09:31 AM
pvillemasher

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400, 2000 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2013 GT Attack, 2017 Lynskey R250

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
My old martial arts instructor would work the snot out of me and tell me "Don't worry, I won't cheat you" meaning he wouldn't cheat me out of a good workout.

I think of him a lot when I ride into the wind. The wind never cheats me.
Old 09-20-18, 09:45 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I was doing a century ride this summer and after being in a headwind for what felt like an hour, I was losing my mind. I actually shouted at the wind in frustration - for all the good it did. Somewhere in my write-up/notes in Garmin Connect I wrote about just how much the wind/ride SUCKED. A never ending headwind can really ruin a ride.
Old 09-20-18, 09:46 AM
SkepTeach

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Here in Arkansas, I have learned to appreciate the wind as I've started biking more over the past couple of weeks. When it's 90F and 60% humidity outside, wind is sometimes the only way I can actually bike.
Old 09-20-18, 09:56 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
ksryder, I lived in Pratt, KS for 10 years and Sterling for several months. Wind country. I didn't consult the Weather Service, but our rule of thumb was that the wind always blows 15 mph in central Kansas. Always -- so 15 mph is not a windy day in Kansas. It's baseline. A windy day is 30 mph plus -- and it's not an unusual day. And because of that, in central Kansas, buildings easily survive 50 to 60 mph straight winds without any damage at all. The days that frightened us were the days with no wind. In central Kansas, a "calm" wind means the tornado is just about to strike.

My two most memorable wind days were in Kansas. Long, torturous, endless, 30+ mile straight pulls into 32+ mph winds. Not dangerous. But unrelenting. Evil.
True, but also a great time to go KOM hunting!

LOL I kid. I was working for a local paper when the Greensburg tornado hit and saw the aftermath first hand. It's astounding that the casualties weren't higher.
Old 09-20-18, 01:06 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Here's a fun little app that I sometimes use to find a tailwind home.
https://www.windy.com/?32.719,-117.161,5

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-20-18, 02:19 PM
RShantz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
It's almost 100% mental. Once I learned to just slow down & not worry about the wind, things started going a lot better. If you are used to going 20mph on a certain road just accept the fact that today you may only go 15mph. Don't blow yourself up into the wind.

A former European pro told me to lower the cadence a tad in really gusty conditions. Said to treat it like riding gravel/cobles. Thought process is that you don't loose momentum as easily with a lower cadence.
Old 09-20-18, 03:51 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
I've definitely screamed obscenities at wind gusts. It's so demoralizing to be riding into a strong stready wind, slaughtering yourself in a small gear on flat ground, and then have it feel like the weather gods are suddenly giving you a shove backwards.
Old 09-20-18, 04:25 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
PS - that's why a lot of gravel riders around here use aero bars, and what all the people from the coasts and mountains don't get when they criticize it. It's because when you're battling a 20 mph headwind for a 100 miles, you need all the help you can get.
I can attest to this as a person from the coast and mountains. It's confusing to hear people talking about wind but it isn't November. Like does the wind blow year round, or do you just know it's coming?
Old 09-20-18, 04:39 PM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Hate wind? Eat less beans! Or ... oh, the OTHER wind.
Old 09-20-18, 05:52 PM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
Wind is something that bothers you a lot more when you're out of shape. Like uneven pavement, it's one more excuse for not riding as well as a person thinks they would be capable of, if not for that blasted wind. I find when I'm in better shape, things like wind, cars, bumpy roads, and unfairly steep hills, just don't bother me as much, I take 'em in stride.
This. I'm a recreational rider, 1000-1300 miles/year but this year I'm in my best shape in years, stronger and lighter. I don't seem to be as bothered by the wind as in past years.
Old 09-20-18, 07:36 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
it is the worst. today i was kicking my old self's butt according to my bike computer and then came the dreaded wind. wind to me is worse than a hill. hills are predictable but wind is so much worse. there is nothing worse than peddling hard downhill with a head wind and doing no more than 8mph. reno gets pretty windy at times.

and what is it about the kind of wind that no matter how many turns you take there is always a head wind component? why not a tail wind component?

You get used to it.

HTFU and keep riding.
Old 09-20-18, 07:47 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by expatbrit
Hate wind? Eat less beans! Or ... oh, the OTHER wind.
wouldn't that wind help...?
Old 09-20-18, 07:50 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by bbattle
You get used to it.

HTFU and keep riding.
had to look HTFU up. i'm just ranting really. i don't like to ride in the wind but when i do i consider it just a part of the workout. it just stinks sometimes.
Old 09-20-18, 08:16 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
The biggest issue in mastering the skill of riding into the wind may be your neck-- the increase in efficiency afforded us puny humans by equipping a road bike with clip-on aerobars is so significant, if your workouts oftentimes involve facing stiff winds about half the time, you won't mind working on the skill of riding in a more aerodynamic position but that means you need to raise your head more to see ahead of you... which for some can be a big pain in the neck. One thing I've learned is, if you ride up to 3 miles or more in an aero position, is to tighten your helmet and slide it up onto your forehead so it's not blocking your view and wear sunglasses that do no inhibit your vision.
Old 09-20-18, 08:16 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Agree with the comment that cycling in to a head wind is a lot about mental acceptance/battle. If you're able to just accept that going a slower pace and not worry about it, it does get better. That said, it still sucks because it feels like the law of diminishing returns. You're working hard, getting tired and slowing down (eventually anyway) but the wind just keeps pushing. The fitness comment though is bang on.
Old 09-20-18, 08:38 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Depends on the situation.

Being on a singlepeed in strong headwinds for long periods can be quite exhausting.

With geared bikes, adjust gearing as needed, no problem unless there is a deadline.

Time is important, speed, not so much.
Old 09-20-18, 09:08 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I can attest to this as a person from the coast and mountains. It's confusing to hear people talking about wind but it isn't November. Like does the wind blow year round, or do you just know it's coming?
Lol usually it calls first. Nah it's year round, just a bit more so in winter & spring.

This evening it was 19 mph on my way to CX practice... But it was a tailwind!!!! That never happens. Plus it had died down after sunset by the time I headed home so I feel like I got one over today. I'm sure I'll pay for it soon.
Old 09-21-18, 07:01 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
I hate, detest, loathe the wind. It is utterly demoralizing. Here in NOLA we don't really even have bad winds. But I'll cuss a 10MPH headwind on the lake. When I go to CO each summer I love tackling long climbs. When I reach a summit, I can stop, look back at the spectacular view and think "I conquered that." Then there's the bonus of flying down the mountain. There is no such joy with the wind.
Old 09-21-18, 07:44 AM
hsuehhwa

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here in South California if you start early in the morning from coastal deep to inland, you will get a headwind all day condition.

Get a powermeter. You'll be able to see and record the effort battling the wind.
Old 09-21-18, 07:52 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by hsuehhwa
Get a powermeter. You'll be able to see and record the effort battling the wind.
From a mental standpoint, I think that's even worse - seeing that you're above threshold and only going 10-12 mph is demoralizing.
Old 09-21-18, 07:57 AM
hsuehhwa

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
From a mental standpoint, I think that's even worse - seeing that you're above threshold and only going 10-12 mph is demoralizing.
Why? speed is all relative, particularly strava's "moving average speed (it doesn't count when you stop and rest). It's dependent on terrain, wind, drafting....

Power and power to weight ratio is a much better index to evaluate overall effort.
Old 09-21-18, 08:03 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I would not find that demoralizing, I would be encouraged by that, compared to not having access to this data. Now THAT would be demoralizing, and frequently is.
Old 09-21-18, 08:08 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
It's like a long climb. You just have to accept that you will be going slower. Sometimes, a lot slower. The problem is people don't adjust the distances of their ride to fit into their normal ride time. This brings up a reason why some people prefer a triple over a compact double. The triple gives you more ways to find the ride gear when the wind is varying and gusting. More fine tuning.
Old 09-21-18, 08:19 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by hsuehhwa
Why?
Because. Speed is a basic and visceral. Putting in a lot of effort and seeing little payback, in terms of this metric, can and will be frustrating for a lot of people. If you're not one of them, that's cool, but I don't see why it would be terribly difficult to understand this POV.
Old 09-21-18, 08:21 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by seypat
It's like a long climb
Except that it's not. You're not gaining elevation and stacking up the potential energy for a presumed descent. You're working against force that all too frequently doesn't repay your efforts later in the ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.