Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Fitbit info

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-19, 02:28 PM
spin1moretime

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fitbit info

Started using a fitbit to log times out and about. I'm on the second fitbit, it just crapped out in 6 months. I'm tired of never knowing if it's going to work. Has anyone used this, or can suggest an new option.
Old 07-01-19, 10:24 PM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
I had a Fitbit for 2 years with no trouble gave it to a friend and it is still going. I switched to a withings watch for the analog hands as I could not see the face of the Fitbit in the sun.

As well as the watch I also used strive on my phone mounted to the handle bars and for a while mapmyride. I stuck with strava as it can download my ride from my bike computer.

plenty of options out there that allow you to log your ride.
Old 07-02-19, 01:36 AM
mynewnchome

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
I had a fitbit.....had.

I now use a Polar M200.
Old 07-02-19, 06:56 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
My fitbit died after about a year, so I switched to a Garmin watch. Had it 3 years now running strong. It was nice going Garmin because it uses all the same software and programs as my edge 520 does.
Old 07-02-19, 09:18 AM
roundrocktom

Bikes: Catrike Dumont

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
My fitbit died after about a year, so I switched to a Garmin watch. Had it 3 years now running strong. It was nice going Garmin because it uses all the same software and programs as my edge 520 does.
What model?

My first Garmin lasted about 18 months. The replacement lasted about six months. Despite that model (Vivosmart HR) having a swimming function but seemed to have died for water ingress. Currently, have a Forerunner 735XT (It was on sale for $200 as new models came out). Five function buttons, no touch screen, hopefully, will last longer. I have to admit the Garmin Express software has me coming back. I like having a simple datalog without thinking about it.

I've learned not to worry about my pace running, just run. I'm slow. Good days a 5K is 42 minutes. It seems like I am getting much slower, but looking back realized I do best on 50F mornings (cold when I start, but I warm up). This 80F at 80% Humidity is almost too hot for my Golden Retriever, but we're home 50 minutes later.

I set up my 735 four four function screen when cycling. Distance; Timer; Speed; Cadence. Cadence synched with my crank arm sensor. Only funny thing is my Bontrager headlight has paired with my watch and seems to turn on/off with the watch function. Not sure how I managed to do that, didn't even realize the headlight had that function — beautiful gift from my kids.
Old 07-02-19, 11:33 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by roundrocktom
What model?

My first Garmin lasted about 18 months. The replacement lasted about six months. Despite that model (Vivosmart HR) having a swimming function but seemed to have died for water ingress. Currently, have a Forerunner 735XT (It was on sale for $200 as new models came out). Five function buttons, no touch screen, hopefully, will last longer. I have to admit the Garmin Express software has me coming back. I like having a simple datalog without thinking about it.

I've learned not to worry about my pace running, just run. I'm slow. Good days a 5K is 42 minutes. It seems like I am getting much slower, but looking back realized I do best on 50F mornings (cold when I start, but I warm up). This 80F at 80% Humidity is almost too hot for my Golden Retriever, but we're home 50 minutes later.

I set up my 735 four four function screen when cycling. Distance; Timer; Speed; Cadence. Cadence synched with my crank arm sensor. Only funny thing is my Bontrager headlight has paired with my watch and seems to turn on/off with the watch function. Not sure how I managed to do that, didn't even realize the headlight had that function — beautiful gift from my kids.
I am almost positive it was called "surge". It was sometime like 2015ish I go the fitbit. It was a good product it just died sooner than I thought it should have.

Then I got the Vivoactive HR. It was released in 2016 or something like that. I have been using that one ever since and been good to me.
Old 07-02-19, 06:21 PM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
We rocked the Fitbits for 2 - 3 years and while I had no real problems with the hardware, the software and support (lack of) sent me and the Missus to the....Apple Watch.

Our Fitbits didnt keep accurate track of our mileage each month, especially towards the latter part of each month. Fitbit and its reps were highly disinterested in helping find a remedy (I think it was a bug in the app).

We sold the last of our Fitbits for fractions of a penny on the dollar at our last garage sale. The Apple watches have been dead-on accurate and reliable.
Likes For FolderBeholder:
Old 07-07-19, 04:15 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
They seem like games to me. Fun, but ultimately pretty useless.

I would be interested to see the % of owners that have become 'fit' thru using them.

I track my riding with GPS. Everything else doesn't get tracked because every day life won't make me lose weight.
Old 07-08-19, 09:44 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by mstateglfr

I would be interested to see the % of owners that have become 'fit' thru using them.

I track my riding with GPS. Everything else doesn't get tracked because every day life won't make me lose weight.
You know I sort of thought the same thing but after set up and goal selections it does what its intended to do. Like for example I have a goal of 10 flights of stairs per day. not a big goal really but at the end of day I am usually running up and down stairs to meet the goal.
Old 07-08-19, 11:15 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts

My Charge 2 Fitbit works for me. I find the app really handy. I like that it isn’t over complicated. I established certain goals for daily and weekly work and stick with them. Or I try to stick with them.

I try try to do 100 active minute at least 4x per week. I watch my sleep and my resting pulse. All really useful stuff. It capture my average heart rate during specific exercise sessions such as a group bike ride or spin class. Yeah, the mileage is always off due to some miscommunication with my iPhone’s GPS, but I am simultaneously running (free GPS app) Endomondo from my iPhone which I always carry and it is accurate.
Old 07-08-19, 01:07 PM
Nikon Fan

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

I'm not a fitbit fan, however I did purchase it to track my heart rate, steps and sleep with the intent of improving my health. I have lost 43 pounds in 3.5 months so far.

One of the many things I dislike about my fitbit (Charge 3) is that it won't track my distance while riding my bike. It will show the route I traveled on a map, but it won't provide the actual distance info. It atomatically shuts off gps when in bike riding mode.
Old 10-23-19, 08:37 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Fitbit Blaze

I'm running an older Fitbit Blaze. I recommend any weight loss / fitness seeker use a health tracker of some sort.

The Fitbit has been awesome in allowing me to see my improvements. It measures items I could never see or tell for myself and provides positive feedback I can see getting better.
I started Fitbit'ing as I began my weight loss in May.
I've been able to watch my resting heart rate drop from 80 BPM to 75 and it's still dropping.
I've seen my Cardio Fitness number increase.
I have a standard 10 mile ride I time each week. I've seen my peak heart rate drop on this ride yet time taken remains stable.
I also have the FitBit hooked to my iPhone 10, the Fitbit uses the phones GPS to map the rides (accurately) and gives millage, speed, elevation, heart rate and calories. This detail does require you configure the phone correctly and have the app running, the phone can be locked.
It also maps hikes very well.
Not really a "smart watch" but not the same price as a "smart watch" either.

I've no complaints about the fitbit

All the best

Barry
Old 10-24-19, 12:03 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
I looked into Fitbit, but since they only broadcast in Bluetooth I didn't buy one. I ended up buying a Mio "Fuse" and then later replaced it with a Garmin Vivoactive 3. The Mio and Garmin broadcast in Bluetooth and Ant+ so they will talk to my bicycle computer and the Zwift program for when I am cycling on the trainer.
Old 10-28-19, 05:40 PM
Glenn6870 

Bikes: 2022 Giant Revolt Advanced; 2017 Giant Contend SL2 Disc; 1997 Trek Singletrack

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
I enjoyed my Fitbit HR when i had it. But after 13 months of use and being told, you’ll have to buy a new one when it crapped out, i’ll Never buy a Fitbit product again. I don’t use any device now. My two cents is, don’t buy another Fitbit, their customer service is crap.
Old 10-30-19, 01:59 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
My wife had a Fitbit for about six months before it dyed, she now has a Apple Watch and likes it much better. It’s a year old now and still going strong.