Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Do you trust Amazon customer reviews?

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.
View Poll Results: How much do you trust Amazon (and other online retailer) reviews?
I trust the reviews I read
4.88%
Somewhat
70.73%
Those reviews are fake
12.20%
I never read online reviews
0%
Other
12.20%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-19, 03:41 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3287 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 137 Posts

Do you trust reviews your read on Amazon (and other online retailers) products? I keep hearing people say (Linus Tech Tips) that the reviews you read online are fake. But I write a lot of reviews myself on Amazon products (and they appear just as I wrote them), so I know they're not all fake.

They're also usually the first place I look before I buy something new. The only exception is when I buy big ticket item (< $100), in which case I will check professional reviews first. Does anybody else ever write reviews on product they purchase?

Poll

Last edited by KraneXL; 08-15-19 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-15-19, 03:58 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 9526 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 202 Posts
I don't pay a lot of attention to Amazon reviews. Although other reviews are popping up a bit.

I do think there is a tendency in human nature to post about bad stuff more than good stuff. But, companies are fighting that a bit too.

I had a company that hit me with an interesting one a while ago.

I bought something online. I don't remember what. Anyway, I got a note that popped up:

RATE X company that you recently had a transaction with.

I presume that poll was naturally private. But, for the individuals that gave a positive rating, it popped back with a link to a review system.

I presume that if I had given a poor initial rating, then I would have not gotten the link to leave a review.
Old 08-15-19, 04:02 PM
ahsposo 
Juicy Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 170 Posts
Oh, yeah. I believe every thing I read on the internet.

Because it's science.
Old 08-15-19, 04:03 PM
ahsposo 
Juicy Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Actually I only read the negative reviews.
Old 08-15-19, 04:37 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Breezer Radar

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 99 Posts
I usually won't buy anything with less than 4 stars, but I scan the reviews to see if it looks like BS paid/scam reviews. People are very good at working the (Amazon's) system.
Old 08-15-19, 04:58 PM
noisebeam
Al

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 3542 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 72 Posts
I look for patterns in the *** and below reviews and also use fakespot.
Old 08-15-19, 05:04 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
I read them for specifics. Not generalizations. I think I can spot fakes and idiots pretty good and weed them out. "Bought for my son and he loves it" is a fake review or as a minimum useless. Funny are the ones that buy a Gizmo for a 1988 Ford F150 and leave a one star review that it does not fit a 2016 Honda. I really do not understand the mindset and thought process that creates that situation. I use fakespot at times but I can assume the review rateing before using it.

Last edited by u235; 08-15-19 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-15-19, 05:26 PM
roadfix
hello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
I trust their reviews. But I don't like the USPS delivering my stuff that last mile.
Old 08-15-19, 05:46 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 132 Posts
The more expensive the item, the more reviews I will read, some of the 5s, some of the 1s, some of the longest/most useful. If I have particular questions I have I'll search the Q&A and the reviews for keywords, see if anybody addressed what I'm concerned about. I'll mentally discount 1-stars that seem like trolls (or 5-stars, but that seems less common), and make a judgment based on the overall consensus.

Here's an example of a review I read today that I found very believable and useful. The length, the level of detail, the dispassionate judgment including some pros and some cons, all make me feel like this is genuine.

Not enough to get me to spend $80 when I can buy vintage Seiko 5 refurbs off eBay for about $20/ea. If it was a leather strap (and if leather strap means cheaper than stainless bracelet) I'd be more tempted.
Old 08-15-19, 06:30 PM
Seattle Forrest

Quoted: 9176 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 482 Posts
I've bought a product on Amazon that was an obvious counterfeit, and others that were not as described in fundamental ways so no, I don't trust the reviews there.

I know many of them are legit, but not knowing how many are fake means I can't trust the average rating. Depending on what we're talking about buying, I'll do other research as common sense and prudence require.

I do as little business with Amazon as I can.
Old 08-15-19, 06:40 PM
mynewnchome

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
Not so much is my post about reviews...

But be wary of some deals there and eBay. I tend to put something in my cart and then research before making the purchase. Twice recently, once in eBay and once on amazon I put something in my cart and it was xx price and then after it sat in the cart awhile (maybe a couple days) while I researched, I return to find the price had gone up.

I once bought a trombone case for my son, got it for $62, very nice case. Two days later the same case was over $100....glad I got it at $62.
Old 08-15-19, 07:23 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
As a heavy regular user of Amazon, I don't write reviews on all of the stuff I buy, just those that IMO justifies a review. When I do write a review I try to be accurate and informative while keeping it pithy. Also, I don't buy anything that isn't at least four stars overall.

I trust the reviews I deem worthy and I have confidence that overall I can relevantly discern fake from real. The best scenario for wading into reviews is where the product has lots of reviews. One valuable tool IMO when there are lots of reviews is click on the "Three Star Reviews" as those offer a balance of the products strong and weak points.
Old 08-15-19, 08:14 PM
ahsposo 
Juicy Member

Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I trust their reviews. But I don't like the USPS delivering my stuff that last mile.
Yeah, that dam nanny state.
Old 08-15-19, 08:21 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I read all reviews with a gigantic grain of salt. But my favorite...was on Amazon. I was searching for the little rubber feet that the cooking grill sits on so it doesn't wobble. The GE originals were amazingly expensive. One reviewer wrote something to the effect of "Since purchasing these GE original pads, my cooking skills have improved, the food tastes better, cooks faster and is always the correct temperature. Also, my cat has begun speaking French". I wish I could find it again...but know that I clicked on "This review is helpful"!

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 08-15-19, 09:12 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1584 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 59 Posts
I usually skim some of the long reviews, some of the 5 stars, some of the 1 stars and look at the most recent (in case of product changes). Specific details as they relate to me are good. I don't tend to buy off amazon if the seller AND shipper are not both amazon - been burned by that one too many times. Even though I have prime, I like having it put the delay on shipping. I get the 1 buck digital credit that I rarely use, but I'm rarely in a hurry and occasionally find the same item/something better cheaper and am glad for the time to cancel that I don't get if I do the fastest free shipping option. For example, I found what appeared to be a decent deal on something I'd been wanting on amazon last night, so I ordered it, but then today got a notification that I'd a bid on eBay that I'd forgotten about was the high (and only) bid for a much nicer version of the same thing. Nice to be able to go back and cancel the amazon order since they hadn't gotten around to shipping it.
Old 08-15-19, 09:36 PM
Hondo Gravel
Of Worms and Ruins

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 160 Posts
I usually know the product already and Amazon can get it to me quick. Like these stupid hot water heater parts I need but Home Depot ordering will take forever. But Amazon Prime, 2 days and part of my house gets the hot water back. My old house only had one water heater so cold water lol. But this time of the year in S Texas cold showers feel great.
Old 08-15-19, 10:11 PM
Seattle Forrest

Quoted: 9176 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 482 Posts
Originally Posted by dstrong View Post
I read all reviews with a gigantic grain of salt. But my favorite...was on Amazon. I was searching for the little rubber feet that the cooking grill sits on so it doesn't wobble. The GE originals were amazingly expensive. One reviewer wrote something to the effect of "Since purchasing these GE original pads, my cooking skills have improved, the food tastes better, cooks faster and is always the correct temperature. Also, my cat has begun speaking French". I wish I could find it again...but know that I clicked on "This review is helpful"!
My friend likes Persians - the squishy faced cats that look like Wilford Brimley - because they speak Farsi.
Old 08-16-19, 08:32 AM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 31 Posts
Ignore the fanbois and axe-grinders. Take the 3-star folks with a grain of salt. And another vote for Fakespot.
Old 08-16-19, 08:39 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 60 Posts
As much as I trust anybody else on the internet.
Old 08-16-19, 02:19 PM
BenzFanatic

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
In the past it was super easy to weed out the fake/for pay reviews, but it seems like they are getting better at hiding it by offering free products to every Tom Dick and Harry that have written reviews on their competing products. I also see a lot of products with great reviews, but if you dig deeper, all of them are for a completely different product. It takes more work to find these days, but the real reviews are still there. There are a lot of sites where reviews seem very inflated though, which I attribute to site moderators deleting negative reviews. Those stores I won't shop at unless it is going to save me money and I'm not relying on the reviews to make the decision.
Old 08-16-19, 02:33 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9461 Post(s)
Liked 987 Times in 612 Posts
I wish I had saved the link to the LYAO reviews of the Haribo sugar free gummy bears. Best reviews ever, and believe them.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-16-19, 04:24 PM
no motor?

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 92 Posts
I don't write many reviews, but the ones I do write are usually 5 star or 1 star when I have strong feeling about something. I figure it's not worth my time for the things I feel meh about, why bother with that?
Old 08-16-19, 04:39 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 25 Posts
Somewhat. No more than any other single-sourced reviews.

Myself, with products or services I'm interested in, I strive to obtain a variety of recommendations from a range of unrelated sources. It's highly unlikely someone "gaming" the system is going to hit all the sources I cover, and so I generally unearth poor-performing stuff ahead of time. (At least, that's the goal.)

Amazon's an open system, and pretty much anyone can submit a "review" and rate the thing in question. In the aggregate, it'll tend to level itself out toward the "correct" answer. With products that have a very small number of reviews, I don't give ratings nearly as much weight as I otherwise would tend to do.

Seems to work for me. Though, I don't buy much via Amazon.
Old 08-16-19, 05:15 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3287 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor? View Post
I don't write many reviews, but the ones I do write are usually 5 star or 1 star when I have strong feeling about something. I figure it's not worth my time for the things I feel meh about, why bother with that?

Well if I use the review to make my decision -- and it turns out to be correct or incorrect -- then I feel obligated to support it or set the record straight. I particularly appreciate those reviews that give details and not just say things like "it fits me". Or my "husband" like wearing them all the time.

For example, I just bought a new office chair (something I've been needing for a while now) and some one else wanted to know how tall the chair was from the seat to the ground. First I give my subjective opinion, then I offer the exact measurements along with my measurements and build.

Now they know exactly how tall it is or how wide it is. With clothes, one picture is worth a thousand words. Instead of it fits tight or loose, seeing how it fits along with the reviewer's measurements gives the reader a lot more information, than just someones saying tight or loose. One site even did that with one of there models. That's a vendor I can really appreciate.

BTW, if you look closely at the office chair in the vendor's photo its slightly different from the one I purchased. For example, the legs are black but mine are silver. There is also a separate lumber piece, and the headrest tilts, but does not lower/lift.

These are the things where people should be careful. Others might not be lying but giving advice for a different product than the one you see advertised. I haven't submitted anything on the printer thus far, because I haven't used enough of its features yet.
Old 08-16-19, 05:30 PM
noisebeam
Al

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Quoted: 3542 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 72 Posts
Interesting that fakespot gives that chair reviews an F rating and the company a D.
That does not necessarily mean the product is bad, only that there is a lot of deception in the reviews.

https://www.fakespot.com/product/off...st-and-armrest

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.