Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hello, from someone new to maintenance

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Old 08-26-19, 10:12 AM
robosllim

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello from Chicago, a place where the good cycling weather will soon be gone, but where I plan to keep riding to work as long as possible!

I've decided it's time to learn how to take care of my bike myself. I bought a vintage Miyata a few years ago from a guy on craigslist and while it's a pretty nice bike, the whole shifting system has never been right. I'm pretty sure the previous owner installed those parts himself and I'm not convinced he did it right. So after taking it to a couple shops and never having the fixes stick, I think it's time I fiddle with it on my own, and maybe start replacing parts outright if it comes down to that.

I'm hoping to learn a few things here, and to get my bike into a condition where I don't feeling like chucking it in the lake when the chain falls off yet again!
Old 08-26-19, 10:37 AM
beach_cycle

Bikes: 2021 Electra Townie 7D equipped; 2019 Monterey 26" Seven Speed Trike

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums. Mechanics will guide you through repairs and maintenance. Enjoy bike season as long as possible...

Originally Posted by robosllim
Hello from Chicago, a place where the good cycling weather will soon be gone, but where I plan to keep riding to work as long as possible!

I've decided it's time to learn how to take care of my bike myself. I bought a vintage Miyata a few years ago from a guy on craigslist and while it's a pretty nice bike, the whole shifting system has never been right. I'm pretty sure the previous owner installed those parts himself and I'm not convinced he did it right. So after taking it to a couple shops and never having the fixes stick, I think it's time I fiddle with it on my own, and maybe start replacing parts outright if it comes down to that.

I'm hoping to learn a few things here, and to get my bike into a condition where I don't feeling like chucking it in the lake when the chain falls off yet again!
Old 08-26-19, 10:48 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Almost all my learning is from what people've said here. I hope you get as much out of it as I have.
Old 08-27-19, 07:00 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,120 Posts
Welcome to BF from a Downstater!

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/

Old 08-27-19, 07:09 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Welcome to bikeforums. I hope you find the information you're looking for; I have, and more! Enlisted in the military when I was in Chicago, but from Massachusetts at time.
Old 08-27-19, 07:58 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Good move joining BikeForums. I started to learn how to do my bike maintenance about 1 1/2 years ago. I bought a set of tools and buy others as the need arises, but only if I will use it enough to justify the cost. There are things that I will pay the LBS to do because it is time and cost effective I have learned much and members of BF have been a huge help with my many questions. If you take the time and energy to search a subject online and watch how to videos, you can learn much that way. Park tools.com and Rick the bike guy both have very informative and well done videos.Also, the members appreciate that you tried. Pictures are always appreciated to the cyclists that want to help you. Help those that want to help you and that simplifies the process. I did my first rebuild, an early 90's steel Ochsner road bike, this past spring. I had the LBS do the BB and the headset for the above stated reason. One thing I still have to remind myself, whether I posted or someone else did: The stupidest question is the one that does not get asked. Enjoy and be safe! Delbiker
Old 08-27-19, 03:33 PM
bimmerdre

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, greetings from NYC
Old 08-29-19, 08:59 AM
kocour

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Sequoia, 1980 Schwinn Voyager 11.8, Handsome Devil (from Minneapolis bike builder)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Regarding Maintenance: you might want to visit a book store or public library. I checked out The Haynes Bicycle Book from my local library. It has lots of photos and detailed descriptions of repair and maintenance. Good luck!
Old 08-29-19, 10:36 AM
robosllim

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kocour
Regarding Maintenance: you might want to visit a book store or public library. I checked out The Haynes Bicycle Book from my local library. It has lots of photos and detailed descriptions of repair and maintenance. Good luck!
Good advice. I feel like Youtube can probably cover me in most situations, but I suppose it's never a bad idea to fully immerse myself in the subject with a book that covers everything.

Anyway, I just got my repair stand delivered yesterday, so I plan to start tonight by cleaning, lubing, and tightening everything real good, then going from there!
Old 08-30-19, 06:01 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,401 Times in 896 Posts
Oh nooo don't chuck it in a lake!! haahahaha
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 09-02-19, 08:35 AM
strossos

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Enjoy! I hope it goes well. If you haven't already I'd consider putting new cables on that bike. Fun way to add color and improve shifting/braking too.
Old 09-02-19, 09:27 AM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Park Tools does a great channel on YouTube; they've allot done their Big Blue Book on bike repair.
Old 09-02-19, 09:56 AM
DesertLife

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Maintenance

Welcome! I just joined so also a Newbie. Park tools, a soft mallet, and a repair stand might be good for starters? Some bike shops and REI offer beginner maintenance classes that might be helpful. And YouTube is great.