Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Convince me to buy a new helmet

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 04-05-10, 08:38 PM
Raiden

Bikes: A little of everything

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've taken a few spills onto the asphalt (thankfully never because of cars) and my trusty cheapo helmet has saved me from certain cranial injury in every instance (and the one time I wrecked while helmetless, my messenger bag cradled my head, which was awesome).

Anyway, its cracked now. Or maybe it has been for a while and I missed it. In three places, each about 1/4-1/2" deep. You're supposed to replace a helmet after a crash, right? You're supposed to replace a cracked helmet, right? Well, I haven't felt inclined to, at all. Its clearly still doing its job, even as damaged goods, and it still fits well, isn't too heavy, and doesn't smell like a filthy wet animal/cyclist yet- well, at least not as bad as my gloves do.

https://www.mtbr.com/cat/mtb-apparel-...56_126crx.aspx Here's the helmet (though maybe off my a model year or three). I didn't pay anything for it- it was a gift, basically.

Does anyone think they can motivate me into buying a new helmet?

Last edited by Raiden; 04-05-10 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-05-10, 09:32 PM
Greyryder
Powerful-Ugly Creature

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Normally, I'd say don't bother, because a bike helmet won't help if you get hit by a car, which is what usually does most people in. But, you seem to be prone to the kind of low speed fall overs that cycling helmets are designed for. (That sounds so much meaner, than I intended ) Given the damage that you've already done to your helmet, I'd say you need a new helmet.

The kind of foam that bike helmets are made from doesn't rebound, much if any, after it's been compressed. You've lost a great deal of the protection you're helmet used to offer. With each successive impact, your helmet is absorbing less and less of the force when your head hits the ground.

What you currently have is rapidly becoming a hat. Buy a new helmet.
Old 04-05-10, 09:35 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Whether you wear a helmet or not is totally up to you, what kind of helmet you wear and what condition it is in is up to you as well. Why in the world would you want anyone to make those decisions for you- or prompt you to make a decision you're incapable of making on your own?
Old 04-05-10, 09:51 PM
Raiden

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzman
Whether you wear a helmet or not is totally up to you, what kind of helmet you wear and what condition it is in is up to you as well. Why in the world would you want anyone to make those decisions for you- or prompt you to make a decision you're incapable of making on your own?
I do appreciate your concern for my ability to think and act independently, but it's not I'm giving anyone here control over my brain
Old 04-05-10, 09:51 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I don't know what insurance coverage you have, but mine paid $25 towards a new helmet. There are helmets out there that cost close to that, so if you have a program like that...it's almost free. If you're going to ride with a helmet, why not ride one in optimal condition?
Old 04-05-10, 09:59 PM
Raiden

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Insurance is still pending- I'm soon-to-be insured through some sort of MA state socialized system. It's all pretty foreign to me, still.

Regardless, how did you get your insurance company to pay you a few bucks? Did you get a wild hair and randomly call up their customer service asking for a handout?
Old 04-05-10, 10:28 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Buy a new helmet, because you'll look ridiculous in an upturned colander?

-Kurt

Old 04-05-10, 10:33 PM
John C. Ratliff

Bikes: Rans Stratus, Trek 1420, Rivendell Rambouillet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiden
I've taken a few spills onto the asphalt (thankfully never because of cars) and my trusty cheapo helmet has saved me from certain cranial injury in every instance (and the one time I wrecked while helmetless, my messenger bag cradled my head, which was awesome).

Anyway, its cracked now...

Actually, you seem already to be motivated to wear a helmet. You are only asking about whether you should get a newer one (undamaged), rather than use the one you have. Well, take a look at it; if you can see cracks as you say, there are more micro-cracks inside, so there is some compromise to the integrity of the helmet's foam. It is in the crushing of the foam that the helmet works to slow the deceleration of the head/brain. As someone already pointed out, if you happen to land on this spot again (and studies show that there are several areas in the front and side of the helmet which are more likely to be impacted than others) the foam has already been somewhat crushed and won't give you the protection you would like. So take a look and look at the studies, then make a decision. Self-motivation is the best.

John
Old 04-05-10, 10:33 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Because with all the cracks in the old one, you never know when the helmet will get twisted and pinch the skin on your forehead, pull your hair, or rip out that new ear stud.

Because you can get inmolded helmets even at frickin' Wal-Fart. Not bad ventilation, either.

A new helmet makes you feel faster.
Old 04-05-10, 10:39 PM
12345Michael543

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're supposed to replace a helmet after a crash, right?
That's correct. Greyryder has already explained why. Here are some words straight from the Giro website:

<begin quoted material>

Q: What do I do if my helmet becomes damaged?

A: Helmets don’t last forever. If the helmet is visibly damaged (cracked outer shell, crushed or cracked foam liner or any other damage) don’t use it. Some or all of the helmet’s protective capacity is used up when impacted, and the damage to a helmet is not always visible. If you have any questions about your helmet call (800) 456-2355 or e-mail us at Feedback@giro.com.<end quoted material>

Look at it this way - your helmet has kept your brains from exiting your skull on multiple occasions. Wouldn't you say you've gotten your money's worth from it?

Now, it's time to honorably retire it and welcome its successor. So that the next time your skull is brought into rapid contact with the pavement, you'll be wearing a helmet that's fully prepared to protect that skull. Your current helmet cannot be counted on to do the job, not after what it's been through. You may believe that it's "clearly still doing its job," but after having done its duty on multiple past occasions, it's ability to do its job has almost certainly been significantly impaired. The next time it's called upon to do its job, there's a good chance it won't be up to the task.

A new bike helmet can be had for around $25. With your history of taking spills onto the asphalt, it's a really sound investment.

Oh, hey, I just saw something else at the Giro site, which might get you a new helmet for very cheap or free. It says:

<begin quoted material>

Q: Does Giro have a crash replacement program?

A: Giro is interested in your safety and in advancing our state-of-the-art in head protection. If your helmet is involved in an accident you may be able to get a credit toward a new helmet from Giro by doing the following:
Send us:
a. Your damaged helmet;
b. A copy of your dated cash register receipt;
c. A letter describing your accident (in as much detail as possible)
Ship to:
GIRO
Consumer Service
1924 County Road, 3000 North
Rantoul, IL 61866
If you have any questions about this program please call us at (800) 456-2355 or e-mail us at Feedback@giro.com. Crash replacement program is available to U.S. customers only. Customers outside the U.S. should call (800) 456-2355 or e-mail us for information on the crash replacement program applicable to them. Remember: NEVER wear a helmet that’s been involved in an accident.
<end quoted material>

'Course, I don't save receipts for minor purchases from year ago, so I couldn't take advantage of this opportunity. But I thought it was worth mentioning. Maybe they wouldn't insist on the receipt. Maybe a copy of the canceled check or credit card statement would do, or perhaps they'd just waive that condition all together.

Seriously, don't drink milk that's a few months past its expiration date. And don't rely on a bike helmet that a few crashes past its intended lifespan.
--
Michael
Old 04-05-10, 11:30 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Actually the sales guy at the bike shop asked what insurance I had when I purchased the helmet...he suggested I check with them because a lot of them have programs like that. He was right and it ended up paying for almost half of the helmet I bought.
Old 04-06-10, 04:00 AM
Ajenkins
Dogs like me.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Better than investing in a helmet, you might want to invest in a Road Skills 101 course. You're crashing too frequently, a road skills class might help eliminate the problem that is causing the need for the helmet. Treat the cause, not the symptom, right?
Old 04-06-10, 06:40 AM
MTBLover
But on the road more

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe '07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ajenkins
Better than investing in a helmet, you might want to invest in a Road Skills 101 course. You're crashing too frequently, a road skills class might help eliminate the problem that is causing the need for the helmet. Treat the cause, not the symptom, right?
Agreed. Or, where the OP is riding just ain't good. In any event, OP, you can get a perfectly serviceable Giro or Bell helmet for <$30. Why wait? Just get a new one. Your current helmet is toast.
Old 04-06-10, 07:03 AM
Pscyclepath
LCI #1853

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Fisher Caliber 29er, Orbea Onix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do appreciate your concern for my ability to think and act independently, but it's not I'm giving anyone here control over my brain

Well, it doesn't appear that there's much up there in the old noggin that's worth protecting anyway, so you can probably make do with the old skid lid. And the local organ donor organization can probably use the spare parts ;-)
Old 04-06-10, 07:54 AM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
. . . Does anyone think they can motivate me into buying a new helmet?
Not me. I can't even convince you that frame cracks are a bad bad thing.
Old 04-06-10, 09:36 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Buy one if you want, or don't, whatever. I'm not paying for your rehabilitation either way (what health insurance company are you with again?)
Old 04-06-10, 09:40 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I am very "pro" helmet - on both bicycles and motorcycles.

Here's my take on the matter -------

If you get in a serious accident, and it causes serious injury - consider------

If it is to an arm or a leg, and it has to be amputated, to save your life, you can still live a productive life!

You only get one head!
Old 04-06-10, 10:50 AM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems you already have your mind made up, so why are you asking? Helmets are designed to be a one hit wonder in most cases, and you've been lucky. When your luck runs out, are you going to gloat that you only have minor brain damage?
Old 04-06-10, 10:52 AM
AndrewP

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Since you seem to be in the habit of hitting your head on the pavement, you should strive for the max head protection possible. I expect the fit and chin strap adjustment have been improved in the last few years.
Old 04-06-10, 11:06 AM
Raiden

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AndrewP
Since you seem to be in the habit of hitting your head on the pavement, you should strive for the max head protection possible. I expect the fit and chin strap adjustment have been improved in the last few years.
Fantastic thought- the ratchet system on my helmet gets caught on my backpacks time to time when I turn my head. Seriously annoying.

Note to future insurance agency: Please do not charge ItsJustMe for his portion of the expected costs of my possible head injuries.