Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

going crazy

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

going crazy

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-10, 03:39 AM
Kazarad

Bikes: Shwinn MB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
going crazy

anyone else feel like they are going crazy if they dont hit the road for a long trip some where?
Old 08-26-10, 04:01 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I make a lot of plans. At least half of the them never turn out as real life (tm) tours, but it helps killing time in between the ones that do.

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 08-26-10, 04:02 AM
KDC1956

Bikes: Surly LHT 52cm Nice Bicycle I think.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I feel the same way but right now my back and health is not doing me any good so I will have to wait a bit longer.My bike is calling me to ride her too.
Old 08-26-10, 06:31 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
As so I travel quite a bit ... by bicycle and also by other methods of transportation.

Last weekend we drove into Melbourne on Saturday ... that's a little over 100 km away and so it was a change of scenery ... country vs. city. 2 weeks before that we were in Melbourne too. About a month before that we headed a couple hours west of here to Wandong to do a 100 km cycling event. A couple weekends before that, we spent the long weekend at a place about 3.5 hours (by car) west of here (Creswick), and did a weekend of cycling events ... kind of like a hub-and-spoke tour. And before that ....

Since I moved to Australia from Canada 14.5 months ago, we have taken a weekend trip to Lakes Entrance, a couple trips to the Geelong area, a trip to Halls Gap, a trip to Port Fairy, a trip to the Murray river in the north, a couple trips up to the Shepparton/Wangaratta area, numerous trips to the Maryborough/Creswick/Avoca area, numerous trips to Melbourne ... and we spent 3 weeks in Tasmania. Many of those trips involved cycling (not the Melbourne ones, although those ones often involved visiting bicycle shops. ) in the form of randonneuring events, or hub-and-spoke tours.

I'd like to do more longer trips, but frequent day trips, weekend trips, or long weekend trips, which have allowed me to see much of the state where I live, help ease that desire.
Old 08-26-10, 07:17 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, I haven't been able to do a loaded tour this year, with a new house and busy job. I've done 3 week-long supported tours and a ton of longer one-day weekend rides, so that's kept the craziness to a minimum.

I might be in a minority here though - the total focus of touring for me is about riding (in the mountains), not about smelling roses or meeting people. Those things are nice enough, but not a focus. SO the day rides take care of most of what I get out of touring.
Old 08-26-10, 09:41 AM
simplygib

Bikes: Hard Rock Sport, Peugeot Triathlon, Schwinn Paramount Series 7

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Yep. I'm grounded until my rather ancient k9 buddy moves on to greener pastures. Just can't leave him alone or with anyone else at this age. But it's killing me not having any tours on the horizon. Just have to suck it up. In the meantime, I keep finding new things to tweak on my bike, in preparation for the next tour. Next on the list is a paint job and new decals.
Old 08-27-10, 02:46 AM
mr geeker
Day trip lover

Bikes: '16 Giant Escape 3 (fair weather ride), Giant Quasar (work in progress), 2002 saturn vue (crap weather ride)

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
easy cure, go for a weekender.
Old 08-27-10, 03:12 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by mr geeker
easy cure, go for a weekender.
Yep ... or long day rides.

Sit down with a map spread out on your table, and pick a direction to ride on Saturday ... and another direction to ride on Sunday. Next weekend, head off in two different directions. Pick a lake, mountain, historic site, or whatever catches your fancy 50-100 km away, and ride there and back.

I like looking to see what interesting things show up on a map, and then trying to cycle there. Some of my favourite rides have been to cycle some distance out to a lake with a beach, spend an hour or two at the beach, and then cycle back.

If you've covered everything in your area, you might want to venture further afield. In the past I, or my father and I, have driven to interesting places an hour or two away to do day rides. When I moved to Alberta, many of these rides were in the mountains. I loved driving into the mountains and then riding there. Now Rowan and I do the same sort of thing around this part of Australia. When we get a bit bored with our local area, we drive some distance away and ride there ... then return again in the evening.

These day trips allow you to thoroughly "tour" your local area. You may discover that you come to know your local area better than people who have lived there their entire lives!!
Old 08-29-10, 02:01 AM
Kazarad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Yep ... or long day rides.

Sit down with a map spread out on your table, and pick a direction to ride on Saturday ... and another direction to ride on Sunday. Next weekend, head off in two different directions. Pick a lake, mountain, historic site, or whatever catches your fancy 50-100 km away, and ride there and back.

I like looking to see what interesting things show up on a map, and then trying to cycle there. Some of my favourite rides have been to cycle some distance out to a lake with a beach, spend an hour or two at the beach, and then cycle back.

If you've covered everything in your area, you might want to venture further afield. In the past I, or my father and I, have driven to interesting places an hour or two away to do day rides. When I moved to Alberta, many of these rides were in the mountains. I loved driving into the mountains and then riding there. Now Rowan and I do the same sort of thing around this part of Australia. When we get a bit bored with our local area, we drive some distance away and ride there ... then return again in the evening.

These day trips allow you to thoroughly "tour" your local area. You may discover that you come to know your local area better than people who have lived there their entire lives!!
thanks for the advice because im going crazy right now not being on the road. i have to say i miss the simplicity of life out on the road you know?
Old 08-29-10, 08:44 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 440 Posts
I'm ending a four month tour today. I'm sitting at Singapore airport right now waiting for my flight. DEPRESSED! Does anyone else feel disgusted by humanity after returning to "civilization" after spending a long time in simpler places?
Old 08-29-10, 10:31 AM
SBRDude
Godfather of Soul

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex, 2010 Specialized Tricross Expert,2008 Gary Fischer Hi Fi Carbon, 2002 Specialized S-Works hard tail, 1990 Kestrel KM 40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
I'm ending a four month tour today. I'm sitting at Singapore airport right now waiting for my flight. DEPRESSED! Does anyone else feel disgusted by humanity after returning to "civilization" after spending a long time in simpler places?
I sometimes feel that way even if I haven't been out of touch.
Old 08-29-10, 07:53 PM
Kazarad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Totally on my trip i only had to worry about three things what am i going to eat, where am i going to sleep, and where am i going to take a piss. now that im back in "civilization" and for what i do for work i am forced to care about what technicality over rides another technicality and if this persons problem is more impotent then this others persons problem when in actually i could really care less. humanity seems to have a knack for complicating the HELL out of the most simple things in life so that they can make just another buck.