Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Choosing Windsor Wellington 3.0 size

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-11, 08:00 PM
JHendrix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I decided to buy a Windsor Wellington 3.0: https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ington3_IX.htm

Geometry sizing chart: https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ington_geo.htm

I need help with choosing what size I should get. I'm about 5"8 1/2 barefoot and have an inseam of 32 inches. According to my calculations a frame around 54cm would fit. However, the problem with this bike is that it doesn't offer a 54cm frame; there's 53cm or 56cm.

I'm thinking that I should go ahead and get the 56cm because it's better to have a bike that is a little too big (you could probably tweak it to fit you) than one that's too small.

Should I go ahead and get the 56cm one?

Thanks.
Old 06-14-11, 08:03 PM
Velo Gator

Bikes: Cervélo S2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JHendrix
I'm thinking that I should go ahead and get the 56cm because it's better to have a bike that is a little too big (you could probably tweak it to fit you) than one that's too small.
No
Old 06-14-11, 08:35 PM
JHendrix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Gator
No
Care to elaborate? I don't want to be cramped. I thought it was better to go a size up?
Old 06-14-11, 08:37 PM
Velo Gator

Bikes: Cervélo S2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Care to elaborate? I don't want to be cramped. I thought it was better to go a size up?
I've found better luck sizing down. 56 is a big jump from 54. I'm only 3" shorter than you and ride a 48. Different geometry, but you get the point.
Old 06-14-11, 08:41 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
You should get the 53. I'm 5'-10 with a similar inseam and ride 55-56 top tubes. You will probably be more comfortable on a bike with a 53.5 top tube, and if you do want more reach Velo Gator is right that it's actually easier to tweak a smaller bike to fit bigger.
Old 06-14-11, 09:14 PM
Palomar01
SpeedFreak

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champ Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Based on this information from the BD website for the Wellington 3.0, you fit a 56cm frame.

56mm53.5mm560mm1000mm31"420mm7373

Your inseam (if you are sure about that) is well above the 31" stand over height of the top tube.

Having said that, you can also go with a 53cm.

If you truly have a 32" inseam barefoot, you will have a true inseam of nearly 33" when wearing clip on shoes. You can go either size and tweak the stem to a longer or shorter stem to match your torso height. It's your call. I suggest you go to your nearest Performance Bike store and look for a road bike with a conventional triangle frame (any of the Scattante's will do). Now find one that is sized as a 56" and see how you fit on it. Now find one with a 54cm and so on. Maybe have one of the guys in the store help you find the right size. This is the best way to be sure what size is right for you before you leap and make a purchase online.

Another option is to simply email BD and get a definitive answer. Because you are in between sizes, the right bicycle size will vary based on frame type and frame maker.
Old 06-15-11, 09:01 AM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Palomar01
Based on this information from the BD website for the Wellington 3.0, you fit a 56cm frame.

56mm53.5mm560mm1000mm31"420mm7373

Your inseam (if you are sure about that) is well above the 31" stand over height of the top tube.

Having said that, you can also go with a 53cm.

If you truly have a 32" inseam barefoot, you will have a true inseam of nearly 33" when wearing clip on shoes. You can go either size and tweak the stem to a longer or shorter stem to match your torso height. It's your call. I suggest you go to your nearest Performance Bike store and look for a road bike with a conventional triangle frame (any of the Scattante's will do). Now find one that is sized as a 56" and see how you fit on it. Now find one with a 54cm and so on. Maybe have one of the guys in the store help you find the right size. This is the best way to be sure what size is right for you before you leap and make a purchase online.

Another option is to simply email BD and get a definitive answer. Because you are in between sizes, the right bicycle size will vary based on frame type and frame maker.
The emailing BD part I agree with. The rest is a bad way to size a bike. Top tube length is much more important than standover height. The OP is 5-8.5 with a 32" inseam which makes it sound to me like a long leg/short torso type proportion. Seatposts can be raised to accomodate the legs and without knowing anything more I would guess the 53.5 top tube length with a standard stem would sound about right and preserve the steering characteristics of the bike.
Old 06-15-11, 10:54 AM
JHendrix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took my measurements again and this time was more precise. I took them on a wood floor instead of carpet.

Barefoot: 5"9 with a 31" inseam
With shoes: 5"10 1/4 with a 32" inseam

What do you guys think?
Old 06-15-11, 11:34 AM
undisputed83

Bikes: 2011 Litespeed M-1, 1991 Raleigh Technium (Commuter)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a much better suggestion... I'd go with this bike... https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...d_record_x.htm

It's an extra $200... but you get better components and a 54cm frame that will no doubt be less of a guessing game and much easier to tweak to you size.
Old 06-15-11, 12:11 PM
Palomar01
SpeedFreak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you try emailing BD? You will get a more definitive answer from them. If you had emailed them yesterday you would have an answer by now.
Old 06-15-11, 12:34 PM
JHendrix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I emailed them a few hours ago.

Would the Motobecane Grand Record be worth paying an extra $200 for? $600 is probably the absolute most I'd like to pay.
Old 06-15-11, 01:26 PM
teterider
On the Move

Bikes: Lots

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First, take note of the posts about the size. The listed frame size is a meaningless number. Its all about the effective top tube, reach, standover, and of course if the geometry angles suit you for handling characteristics. Then of course do you want a triple.

I realize you are probably saying "so how do I know these numbers for me" - and that's why it's hard and risky for inexperienced riders to buy bikes over the internet.

On the better bike part, there is always the argument of "just spend this little bit more to get..." For instance, I had a buddy buy a 2011 Diamond Back Podium 3 that was $740 at a shop with new Shimano 105 5700 and FSA BB30 compact crank. It's a lot more bike for the money and he could test ride sizes first as well. But, we all have our budget limits.
The Sora shifters on the Motobecane work the same as the 2200 shifters on the Windsor, just with 9-speed cassette instead of 8. The wheels on both are going to be very heavy, but I can almost guarantee the Windsor wheels will have gritty bearings and heavy drag on the rubber boot seals needed for the low grade bearings.
Old 06-15-11, 02:07 PM
Palomar01
SpeedFreak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I emailed them a few hours ago.

Would the Motobecane Grand Record be worth paying an extra $200 for? $600 is probably the absolute most I'd like to pay.
Based on information about your experience and usage of this bike from your very first post here are my answers:

1) The Galaxy is the ideal frame for beginning roadies.
2) It is the most comfortable road bike riding position due to its compact frame
3) It will most likely have a very stable ride when cruising around at low speeds due to its geometry
4) Those curved seat stays will have some give so it will absorb road irregularities much better
5) It comes with an adjustable stem so you can raise it up high to add comfort
6) Sizing is as simple as S, M, L--thus it will adopt to varying rider height and leg inseam so long as you get the basic size correct. Sounds like you are a Medium.

Otherwise, it has identical components to the Wellington 3.0. The Galazy SC3 will suit your planned riding style, which you said earlier was easygoing, fun rides around town.

The Record is for more serious riders. The Wellington 3.0 falls somewhere between the Record and the Galaxy. Fuji sells an identical bike to the Galaxy, which is the Newest 3.0. That bike is designed specifically for people like you who wants a road bike but only plans to ride it for pure fun and recreation without getting too serious of a committment. In the future, the Newest/Galaxy SC3 can be configured to become either a commuter or a serious road bike with a good dash of comfort built in. The Galaxy SC3 is similar to the Giant Defy 3, Specialized Secteur Triple, and the Cannondale Synapse 7 Alloy triple without the high price.
Old 06-15-11, 06:58 PM
JHendrix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Palomar01
Based on information about your experience and usage of this bike from your very first post here are my answers:

1) The Galaxy is the ideal frame for beginning roadies.
2) It is the most comfortable road bike riding position due to its compact frame
3) It will most likely have a very stable ride when cruising around at low speeds due to its geometry
4) Those curved seat stays will have some give so it will absorb road irregularities much better
5) It comes with an adjustable stem so you can raise it up high to add comfort
6) Sizing is as simple as S, M, L--thus it will adopt to varying rider height and leg inseam so long as you get the basic size correct. Sounds like you are a Medium.

Otherwise, it has identical components to the Wellington 3.0. The Galazy SC3 will suit your planned riding style, which you said earlier was easygoing, fun rides around town.

The Record is for more serious riders. The Wellington 3.0 falls somewhere between the Record and the Galaxy. Fuji sells an identical bike to the Galaxy, which is the Newest 3.0. That bike is designed specifically for people like you who wants a road bike but only plans to ride it for pure fun and recreation without getting too serious of a committment. In the future, the Newest/Galaxy SC3 can be configured to become either a commuter or a serious road bike with a good dash of comfort built in. The Galaxy SC3 is similar to the Giant Defy 3, Specialized Secteur Triple, and the Cannondale Synapse 7 Alloy triple without the high price.
I don't think I would mind the more aggressive riding position of the Wellington. I'm not a complete beginner at bicycling. I just have a terrible old bike right now.

What would be the trade off if I got the Wellington? A faster bicycle but a less comfortable riding position?

Last edited by JHendrix; 06-15-11 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-15-11, 08:53 PM
Palomar01
SpeedFreak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Less comfortable. Less flexible than the Galaxy when it comes to sizing.

In my opinion, there is a reason why compact and semi-compact frames have become so popular. It's due to better comfort and flexibility in sizing.

I used to ride a bike like the Wellington with a similar frame. Now I ride a semi-compact frame and I'm a convert. I will never go back to the conventional triangle.
Old 06-15-11, 09:01 PM
JHendrix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will the Galaxy still be somewhat quick even though the riding position is less aggressive? I'm assuming any new bike will probably be fast for me. I've been riding a cheap Mongoose bike that's around 13 years old and only has five working gears.

Also, the Galaxy medium frame (50cm) looks the best fit for me, right?
Old 06-15-11, 09:10 PM
Palomar01
SpeedFreak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You need to ask BD to be sure about the sizing. Be patient and email them.

The lower riding position of the Wellington will NOT help you go faster. Only YOU can make a bike go fast. If you want my opinion on which is the better frame my vote goes to the Galaxy SC3. However, you need to get the bike YOU want. Let BD tell you which size to get.
Old 06-15-11, 09:15 PM
JHendrix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._geometry.html

The 50cm frame should fit me. The standover height is 30.46 inches. With shoes on, my inseam is 32 inches. This will give me about a 1.5 inch clearance.

The large frame (54cm) would only give me a .7 inch clearance, so it's too large.

Are these frames set up differently or something because they're compact? Normally I'd be on a 54cm frame.
Old 06-15-11, 09:37 PM
StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,085 Times in 669 Posts
Old 06-16-11, 10:35 AM
JHendrix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can anyone confirm that the medium size frame (50cm) would be best for me? https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._geometry.html

It has a standover height of 773.7 mm, which = 30.46 inches

My measurements:

Barefoot: 5"9 with a 31" inseam
With shoes: 5"10 1/4 with a 32" inseam

Thanks.
Old 06-16-11, 11:19 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
FWIW, I am 6'1" with a 34" inseam and like the 56cm in traditional geometry like the Windsor. All things being equal, 56cm may be a bit large. I should be able to ride a 58cm, and I can, but the sizing down axiom truly does apply.

I ride (among others) a 53.5cm Gravity from BD, effective top tube 56cm.
Old 06-16-11, 12:01 PM
JHendrix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RTDub
FWIW, I am 6'1" with a 34" inseam and like the 56cm in traditional geometry like the Windsor. All things being equal, 56cm may be a bit large. I should be able to ride a 58cm, and I can, but the sizing down axiom truly does apply.

I ride (among others) a 53.5cm Gravity from BD, effective top tube 56cm.
I decided to get the Galaxy SC3 instead. I just have to choose a frame size for it now. It seems like they use different measurements since it appears that the 50cm frame fits me.
Old 06-16-11, 12:26 PM
Palomar01
SpeedFreak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup. The sizing differs from frame to frame.

When I was thinking of getting the Galaxy SC3, I was going WTF! I fit a size 48cm? No way! I'm normally a 52-54. But according to BD's geometry table, that is my size on the Galaxy SC3. That is why it's so important to confirm that with BD's Technical people. They are very knowledgeable and responsive.
Old 06-16-11, 01:46 PM
JHendrix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I emailed them and am awaiting a response. Once they reply I'll be ordering the bike.

Old 06-16-11, 02:09 PM
Palomar01
SpeedFreak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Woohoo! Pics should be next.

keep in mind you will get the bike in a box. You have to put the seat & pedals on. You also have to mount the handlebar to the stem, and the front brake caliper to the fork. Oh and mount the front wheel and air the tires.

Although the bike will be rideable at that point, you still have to make sure it will shift gears properly and brake properly. BD does not assemble the bikes but instead, the manufacturer does before boxing it up. BD has a link to their website showing you step by step on assembly.

After that point, take the bike to your local bike shop and have them give it a full tune up for $70.

There are tons of resources on the internet on how to fit the bike to you. Your local bike shop will charge you about $100 for a basic fit, which I highly recommend as well. If not, you can figure it out by searching on the web or buying a book that shows you how-to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.