Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What are all the needed bits and tools?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-13, 08:04 AM
damme

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What are all the needed torque wrench bits and other tools so I can tighten/open everything on my bike? I'm planning to build a new bike from a scratch (buying frame, components etc separately).
Old 06-08-13, 08:11 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Required allen keys for a bike are typically 3,4,5,6 and 8 mm but vary with the make and model of components you choose. Also there are a number of bike specific tools for working on bottom brackets, headsets, hubs , etc.

Be specific as to what you are getting and we can be more specific as to what you will need.

Actually the first "tool" you need is a good bike repair book and a tour through Park Tool's web site tutorials.
Old 06-08-13, 08:23 AM
kinkicycle.com

Bikes: Many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Basically what HillRider just said. You will need some very specific tools for facing the headtube, bottom bracket etc, these will be quite expensive, you may even end up spending more on tools than you do on the frame and components. On the plus side you will have a pretty nice workshop set up if you want to build more bikes!
Old 06-08-13, 08:45 AM
damme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure yet what components or even what frame I'm choosing so I guess I have to bump this again after I know what I will get.

Kinkicycle, yes I want my own tools so I can fix and update my bike(s) by myself. One tool costs about as much as taking the bike to the shop and pay them to open something. Also I want to learn to do it myself since I enjoy it

I'm looking to buy another bike too which is fitness type flat bar bike (pre built). One thing that I might want to change to it is different cranks so I get larger Q factor. The bike has Truvativ Stylo crankset. Is there way to know what tools I need to change the crankset? I guess I have to change the BB too so I need tools for that too? Link to bike: Click.
Old 06-08-13, 09:26 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by damme
I want my own tools so I can fix and update my bike(s) by myself. One tool costs about as much as taking the bike to the shop and pay them to open something. Also I want to learn to do it myself since I enjoy it
The cost of some of the tools specifically the facing tools cost many times the cost of having the LBS do the work and headset press is another example. These facing and thread cutting tools will probably only be used once on a bike. I have only removed the headset once on one of my bikes and that was to strip it down to be painted. Some tools just cost too much, it is cheaper to have the LBS do the work due to the infrequency of the work.
Old 06-08-13, 09:34 AM
damme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes some tools might cost too much, but for example removing BB and crankset costed 25$ last time, tools for removing those can be bought for same price I think?
Old 06-08-13, 09:49 AM
Continuity

Bikes: 1992 Marin Eldridge Grade, 2007 Kona PHD and 199? Trek 1000 (current build project)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah - a crank puller and a BB tool can be had for around $15-20 each.
Old 06-08-13, 10:33 AM
thegreatbelow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think he will need facing tools if he is buying the frame and components from new.
Old 06-08-13, 10:46 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

One thing that I might want to change to it is different cranks so I get larger Q factor.
There are pedal extenders that space the pedals further away from the crank arms and give the effect of a larger Q-factor. They are a lot less expensive than changing the crank and bottom bracket.

Here is one source but there are a lot of others:

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_1hmy5zygsa_e
Old 06-08-13, 11:43 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by thegreatbelow
I don't think he will need facing tools if he is buying the frame and components from new.
If this is a new frame that hasn't been built up yet then it is the ideal time to have the bottom bracket and headset faced. Also there may be paint in the bottom bracket threads so the bottom bracket may need to be chased.

But my point is that the OP wanted to purchase his own tools but some tools are very expensive and infrequently used, and the home mechanic is better off going to the LBS or Co-op for certain work.

Last edited by cyclist2000; 06-08-13 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-08-13, 12:19 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
What are all the needed torque wrench bits and other tools so I can tighten/open everything on my bike? I'm planning to build a new bike from a scratch (buying frame, components etc separately).
I'm not sure yet what components or even what frame I'm choosing

Kinkicycle, yes I want my own tools so I can fix and update my bike(s) by myself. One tool costs about as much as taking the bike to the shop and pay them to open something. Also I want to learn to do it myself since I enjoy it

I'm looking to buy another bike too which is fitness type flat bar bike (pre built). One thing that I might want to change to it is different cranks so I get larger Q factor. The bike has Truvativ Stylo crankset. Is there way to know what tools I need to change the crankset? I guess I have to change the BB too so I need tools for that too? Link to bike: Click.
Let's see:
  • You don't know what tools are used for what parts.
  • You apparently are unable able to find that easily obtainable information on the Internet.
  • You either don't know or don't care about using clear terminology, so refer to tools to "open" or "tighten," in spite of the fact that pretty much every site that discusse repair procedures uses the term removal and installation.
  • You did not understand that it's impossible for anyone to answer your question when you don't know what frame or components you will have.
  • Yet you have decided to build a bike from scratch (with no specified reason or goal) and you are worried about Q factor, two things that over 99% of cyclists never deal with or worry about.
You need to even out and broaden your knowledge, and consider exactly what you will gain from a scratch build vs. what it will cost in time and money, because what you believe on either count is likely not accurate.

As for tools, all you have to do is go to parktool.com/blog or Sheldonbrown.com or just use Google to search for install, replace or adjust and the name or brand/model for a given component. Waiting for answers regarding the tool for each part is a colossal waste of time and resources. Besides, all you will know at that point is the name of the tool - not how to use it, nor how to select the correct part to install for your usage or compatibility with the rest of the bike, nor how to adjust once you've installed it.

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 06-08-13 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-08-13, 01:24 PM
jolly_ross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you aiming at the end point, or the journey.

It's often cheaper to make use of LBSs economies of scale and just buy a complete bike - especially when you factor in the tools.

But if you're intent on building a bike for the pleasure of it then buy the tools as you go along.

You may screw a few things up and have to buy parts again - this is a good way to learn. Have fun

Park tools website, Sheldon Brown and innumerable youtube videos are good things to refer to at each step. Look at more than one source each time though.
Old 06-08-13, 01:54 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Originally Posted by jolly_ross

It's often cheaper to make use of LBSs economies of scale and just buy a complete bike - especially when you factor in the tools.

But if you're intent on building a bike for the pleasure of it then buy the tools as you go along.

You may screw a few things up and have to buy parts again - this is a good way to learn. Have fun
It's always cheaper to buy a complete bike and make the changes you want/need.

Screwing up and spending even more time and money as a result is not a good way to learn, and certainly no fun. Mistakes will occur, but learning by trial and error is silly when there are plenty of resources available to help avoid mistakes.
Old 06-08-13, 02:00 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Torque wrenches have a useful range so those You Need 3_ 1/4, 3/8, 1/2" .. example:
3/8" beam wrench range for external BB installation , pegs out of range , then you need the 1/2" one.
Old 06-08-13, 02:16 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Some general tools are easy to suggest.
Allen wrenches
Cable cutter
screwdrivers
tire levers
Spoke wrenches
Workstand
Pedal wrench

Some are optional but very convenient to have:
Fourth hand tool (cable puller for brake adjustments)
Three way Allen wrench (my most often used tool)
Digital calipers to measure part diameters

Other tools are specific to the make and model of parts you are using:
Bottom bracket wrenches, for example.

I buy the special tools as I have need for them.
Old 06-08-13, 02:22 PM
bhchdh 

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Park Tool web site https://www.parktool.com/ is an excellant resource for tools and their use.
"When I hear another express an opinion, which is not mine, I say to myself, He has a right to his opinion, as I to mine; why should I question it. His error does me no injury, and shall I become a Don Quixot to bring all men by force of argument, to one opinion? If a fact be misstated, it is probable he is gratified by a belief of it, and I have no right to deprive him of the gratification."

T. Jefferson
Old 06-08-13, 05:42 PM
damme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
Let's see:
  • You don't know what tools are used for what parts.
  • You apparently are unable able to find that easily obtainable information on the Internet.
  • You either don't know or don't care about using clear terminology, so refer to tools to "open" or "tighten," in spite of the fact that pretty much every site that discusse repair procedures uses the term removal and installation.
  • You did not understand that it's impossible for anyone to answer your question when you don't know what frame or components you will have.
  • Yet you have decided to build a bike from scratch (with no specified reason or goal) and you are worried about Q factor, two things that over 99% of cyclists never deal with or worry about.
You need to even out and broaden your knowledge, and consider exactly what you will gain from a scratch build vs. what it will cost in time and money, because what you believe on either count is likely not accurate.

As for tools, all you have to do is go to parktool.com/blog or Sheldonbrown.com or just use Google to search for install, replace or adjust and the name or brand/model for a given component. Waiting for answers regarding the tool for each part is a colossal waste of time and resources. Besides, all you will know at that point is the name of the tool - not how to use it, nor how to select the correct part to install for your usage or compatibility with the rest of the bike, nor how to adjust once you've installed it.
Let's see:
  • Duh, that's why I made this thread.
  • Maybe we should close this forum because most information people ask can be found on the internet?
  • English is my third language.
  • You didn't understand that I understood it.
  • Maybe you should read my posts few more times before replying.
Old 06-08-13, 05:48 PM
damme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
There are pedal extenders that space the pedals further away from the crank arms and give the effect of a larger Q-factor. They are a lot less expensive than changing the crank and bottom bracket.

Here is one source but there are a lot of others:

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_1hmy5zygsa_e
Yeah I know about those, but better crankset with proper width looks and works better

Originally Posted by jolly_ross

Park tools website, Sheldon Brown and innumerable youtube videos are good things to refer to at each step. Look at more than one source each time though.
Journey is as important as the destination!
Old 06-08-13, 05:55 PM
damme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's always cheaper to buy a complete bike and make the changes you want/need.
There are some nice aluminium road bikes at 1200€+ but I can build better bike with a little more money using chinese carbon frame set so that the bike has components I want and looks the way I want the main requirement for example is that the color of the bike is matte black without any logos. I don't feel like I would like start painting the new aluminium frame from a new complete bike.

Originally Posted by Yo Spiff
Some general tools are easy to suggest.
Allen wrenches
Cable cutter
screwdrivers
tire levers
Spoke wrenches
Workstand
Pedal wrench

Some are optional but very convenient to have:
Fourth hand tool (cable puller for brake adjustments)
Three way Allen wrench (my most often used tool)
Digital calipers to measure part diameters

Other tools are specific to the make and model of parts you are using:
Bottom bracket wrenches, for example.

I buy the special tools as I have need for them.
What I'm missing from your post is "fourth hand tool" which I haven't missed so far when setting up brakes and a workstand which I do need and plan to buy one soon.

Last edited by damme; 06-08-13 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-08-13, 06:10 PM
HillRider

What I'm missing from your post is "fourth hand tool" which I haven't missed so far when setting up brakes and a workstand which I do need and plan to buy one soon.
A "fourth hand" tool can be a convenience but is by no means necessary and probably not worth spending money on.

cny-bikeman's post may have seemed a bit dismissive but he made some very good points. Your OP made it sound like you had absolutely no knowledge of bike mechanics or what components you were going to build or buy or what to do with them once you had them. If you are more experienced than you made it seem, fine, but you gave us very little to go on.
Old 06-10-13, 03:22 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Let's see:
  • Duh, that's why I made this thread.
  • Maybe we should close this forum because most information people ask can be found on the internet?
  • English is my third language.
  • You didn't understand that I understood it.
  • Maybe you should read my posts few more times before replying.
My point was it does not make sense for someone with so little knowledge or abilty to gather it to be doing a scratch build, and that matching tools to parts is a very small part of the task of building a bike.

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 06-10-13 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-10-13, 03:28 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

One thing that I might want to change to it is different cranks so I get larger Q factor.
You do not state a reason for a wider Q factor but wider Q factor is in general less efficient.
Old 06-10-13, 03:32 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

There are some nice aluminium road bikes at 1200€+ but I can build better bike with a little more money using chinese carbon frame set so that the bike has components I want and looks the way I want
...as I said - "a little more money" is still more, and the final cost has yet to be determined.
Old 06-10-13, 03:37 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Let's see:...nor how to adjust once you've installed it.
Again cny, "spending" more time writing an angry non-response than the amount of time wasted by reading the thread up to this point... why do you bother? You should keep a RTFM.txt on your desktop to paste from for threads like this. It'll save you a lot of time I'm sure...
Old 06-10-13, 03:40 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
As long as your bike is not a carbon frame, and your components will not be campagnolo, you can probably get a long ways with the Nashbar/SpinDoctor Essential Tool Kit. That, and a homebrew headset press, and maybe a few standard tools like wire cutter/hacksaw/dremel for housing&cables, will probably enable you to assemble an entire bike.

Plus, as mentioned above, youtube, park.com, sheldonbrown.com etc are your friend (in reverse order, actually). TONS of invaluable advice there.

EDIT: I see the word "carbon" up there now, you will probably need two reliable torque wrenches (for different torque ranges, socket drive sizes), carbon assembly paste, and if there's anything else special for carbon, probably somebody else can say.

Last edited by RubeRad; 06-10-13 at 03:45 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.