Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Roadie coming to Boston this Summer - Advice please!

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-15, 08:36 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22597 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts

Hey,

I know this winter for us in the NE has been really hard on road riding. But one's fancy still turns towards warmer weather and road rides. I figured the NE forum is a good place to start.

Backstory: I am 49 year old male road cyclist. I don't race, but I like spirited rides, I prefer group/club rides but solo is ok too. We do a 1-week "family" vacation every summer, and over the past several years my strategy for riding has been as follows: Get up early, get on the road around 7:30 or 8AM, ride for 2-4 hours and be back in time for lunch and "family" activities for the rest of the day. In the past few years, we have gone to several interesting areas of the country with mixed results. Last year we went to SanFran which was fantastic, I got to ride over the GGB, ride the Marin Headlands, go up Mt Tam and even went up Mt Diablo. Two years ago we went to DC which was a mixed bag, I did a good spirited shop ride from DC into Maryland on Saturday, but the other rides were solo on the MUPs and in DC downtown which were hazardous and less than ideal. (BTW DC was not the worst, Orlando was. Also did Stowe VT a few years ago which was good, except my fail going up Smugglers Notch from the South in a 39/23...but that's another story).

I hope that Boston is going to be more like SanFran but I am afraid it might be more like DC.

Anyway, we will be renting a 1 BR apartment somewhere in the downtown/historical area. How realistic will it be for me to hit the road at 8AM and get in a good ride (ideally with some climbs!) safely and fun, for a few hours??
Old 02-25-15, 09:13 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
big cycling community here. you'll want to wind your way out of town, west, northwest sort of. come on out to "metrowest" like toward Concord. just pick a straight road and go, you'll be fine. not sure about climbs tho, when they built Boston they cut down the hills, for example Tremont St is no longer a hill hahaha (look it up) there are some "wheelmen" groups, I believe, and maybe someone will chime in with their names so you can hook up with a group ride. if you NEED to climb you can bounce around Beacon Hill, it's still a hill.
Old 02-25-15, 10:45 AM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
You can certainly do that. Getting out of the city is step 1, though, and where you end up staying is a factor. If Cambridge is an option, go for it -- there's a MUP (and a fairly comfortable-to-ride major road (Massachusetts Avenue) that parallels it if the MUP is crowded with slow commuters) from the western edge of Cambridge (at Alewife station) out to Metrowest, aka everyone's favorite riding territory. If you're downtown-downtown, it'll add a few very slow miles in traffic pothole land to get out of the city.

I don't keep track of the faster group rides as I'm a 12-15mph rider (a roadie, but a sloooooow roadie).

If you want a fun climb, Mt. Wachusett is great but is not a 2-4 hour roundtrip ride from downtown; it's a solid century ride at minimum to get out there and back. But totally worth it if you have a longer riding slot, and it's a climbfest just to get out to the start of it if you do it right.
Old 02-25-15, 11:02 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Hey,

I know this winter for us in the NE has been really hard on road riding. But one's fancy still turns towards warmer weather and road rides. I figured the NE forum is a good place to start.

Backstory: I am 49 year old male road cyclist. I don't race, but I like spirited rides, I prefer group/club rides but solo is ok too. We do a 1-week "family" vacation every summer, and over the past several years my strategy for riding has been as follows: Get up early, get on the road around 7:30 or 8AM, ride for 2-4 hours and be back in time for lunch and "family" activities for the rest of the day….

I hope that Boston is going to be more like SanFran but I am afraid it might be more like DC.

Anyway, we will be renting a 1 BR apartment somewhere in the downtown/historical area. How realistic will it be for me to hit the road at 8AM and get in a good ride (ideally with some climbs!) safely and fun, for a few hours??
Hi datlas,

I posted on this thread, ”How many cities…[have you cycled in]”:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…An interesting question might be what did you think of those cities for cyling.

Here’s my parochial (North American) list, off the top of my head, roughly in amount of time spent there…
  • Metropolitan Boston: premier (if you know your way around)…
  • Washington DC: pleasant and interesting, but slightly confusing street layout; suburbs were car-traffic-laden…
Just recently was this Northeast Regional Discussion thread, ”Moving to Boston – Advice?” that is an excellent introduction to Metro Boston cycling. One of my own posts was:

...I have also posted my own compendium of road cycling in Metro Boston, since I live centrally and ride in all directions. See also this very active Northeast Regional Discussion thread, ”Metro Boston: Good ride today?” to discover many interesting areas, with a lot of great photos; the de facto Boston subforum.

That should get you started, and consider me a resource. Welcome to “the Hub.”
By way of personal introduction, I have lived in downtown Boston (Kenmore Square) for over 30 years, and I ride in all directions as noted above. I describe myself as a year-round cycle-commuter, occasional centurian (in training during the nice weather) and former cycle-tourist (including a cross-country ride).

Very likely in late July will be an Annual Fifty-Plus Forum Group Ride held in conjunction with an organized group ride (including century) sponsored by the local cycling advocacy organization, MassBike. I note you are currently 49...when's your birthday?

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-25-15 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-25-15, 04:42 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22597 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Hi datlas,

I posted on this thread, ”How many cities…[have you cycled in]”:

Just recently was this Northeast Regional Discussion thread, ”Moving to Boston – Advice?” that is an excellent introduction to Metro Boston cycling. One of my own posts was:

By way of personal introduction, I have lived in downtown Boston (Kenmore Square) for over 30 years, and I ride in all directions as noted above. I describe myself as a year-round cycle-commuter, occasional centurian (in training during the nice weather) and former cycle-tourist (including a cross-country ride).

Very likely in late July will be an Annual Fifty-Plus Forum Group Ride held in conjunction with an organized group ride (including century) sponsored by the local cycling advocacy organization, MassBike. I note you are currently 49...when's your birthday?
Thanks for the info. I think we will be there the first week in August rather than late July. On the other hand, I will be 50 by then.
Old 03-15-15, 01:45 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Consider the Cape! No, I don't mean ride all the way there, but ride to the World Trade Center, board the fast ferry to Provincetown, spend the day riding the outer cape, and take the ferry home. Downside: cost. The ferry isn't cheap.
Old 03-17-15, 08:57 AM
bigredkevbot

Bikes: 2015 All-City Spacehorse, 2014 Specialized Allez Race, Mid 80s Takara Acknowledge Fixed Gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be riding some centuries by August leaving from North of Boston (Cambridge/Somerville). The Arlington/Minuteman Bike path runs for about 10 Miles then sets you in some more sparse suburbs. Let me know if you're looking for a riding partner! I'm always up for a solid ride.

Best,
Red
Old 03-21-15, 05:41 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Drive or ride to Concord. There are amazing farm and scenic roads for miles and miles in all directions
Old 03-24-15, 09:42 AM
oldguyonabike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you wanna drive to lowell to start the ride i'll show you a nice loop thru concord carlisle ... 31 miles
n stuff
Old 03-27-15, 07:34 AM
Mass BikePike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also useful (though maybe not in your 2-hour time frame) is the commuter rail, which you can take to and from great riding hubs - Concord, Newburyport, Gloucester, etc.

Actually one great thing you could do as a day trip is to go with the family on the train to Singing Beach (lovely 10-minute walk from Manchester-by-the-Sea station. You wouldn't ever drive there!) - they mosey along to the beach and you get a GORGEOUS ride along our beautiful coastline. Both activities (the beach, and the riding) are quintessential New England activities. Your family will be impressed with your thoughtfulness There is a grocery store and an ice cream place near the train station for any beach needs.

Definitely pick up a Rubel map - they are super-helpful for finding the good roads in an area. Have fun!
Old 05-03-15, 07:36 AM
COG63
stoic yankee

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Specialized Roubaix.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's this regular ride I do into the city. Its a bit longer but here it is. I leave a car at Newburyport T station and follow Rte. 1A to Beverly. In Beverly, go left on Tozer road, (a really nice hill) right on Sohier road and back down onto 1A and across to Salem. There is a way around Salem on the east, but I go though Salem via Washington and Canal streets. Through Swampscott into Lynn on 1A. The Lynnway is a bit of a war zone, but traffic is light in the early morning. I use the sidewalk on the Saugus river drawbridge ( named after some general I can never remember) and go through Point of Pines to Revere beach, over to Ocean Ave which becomes State, which becomes Bennington, which I take to Bremen st., use the bike path through Bremen park, then swing around the corner to the Blue line Maverick stop, which gets me across the harbor to food, drink and a train back to Newburyport.
You could do this in reverse and have the family bring bikes on the train and meet you in Newburyport where you can spend the day, lots to see and do there.