Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Places that don't have bike racks.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-10, 10:43 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts

I'd like you guys to list places that DON'T have bike racks and why. I was thinking about this the other day and it really is quite hilarious. It says something, quite unintentionally, about the place.

1) Fast food joints.

2) I haven't seen a single bike rack outside the Texas Rangers Ballpark or the Cowboys stadium in Arlington. I guess sports fans don't ride to the game?
Old 12-12-10, 11:00 PM
jayr

Bikes: LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of the places around here are pretty good about having racks. The McDonalds by my house not only has a bike rack, the rack is in it's own parking space labeled "Bikes Only" right next to the handycaped space right up front. The sports complex that I play baskeball at on the other hand has one but it's on the side of the building in the parking lot where no one can see it while it's getting stolen...
Old 12-12-10, 11:50 PM
Noobtastic
Six feet please

Bikes: Specialized rockhopper, Ross gran tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My city has 5 colleges/universities so there are bike racks virtually everywhere, they're trying to be bike friendly so every commercial business is required to have a bike rack. Funny enough the only places I go to that don't have bike racks are our bike shops.

Riding to a game is awesome, I have the time of my life just riding through backed up traffic and past people paying $20 for a terrible parking spot with a smile on my face.
Old 12-13-10, 12:03 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
My biggest grief is not about businesses not having a bike rack, it's the location of where most businesses install them, mostly out in BFE territory with little or no supervision.
Out of all the local businesses, only one meets my criteria, the bike rack is located close to the store entrance, has it's own security camera, one way glass window next to it, and the bike parking area is extremely well illuminated at night.
Old 12-13-10, 12:45 AM
mnemia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
My biggest grief is not about businesses not having a bike rack, it's the location of where most businesses install them, mostly out in BFE territory with little or no supervision.
Out of all the local businesses, only one meets my criteria, the bike rack is located close to the store entrance, has it's own security camera, one way glass window next to it, and the bike parking area is extremely well illuminated at night.
100% agreed. I will NEVER understand why businesses think it makes sense to install a bike rack on the side or back of the building instead of in the high-traffic area out front. But about 50% of them seem to think that way. I guess they just want the rack out of sight/out of the way, and don't think about the security aspect of it? This is why I think it makes a lot of sense for local governments or advocacy organizations to run a program that helps businesses with buying and installing standardized racks. This could make it a lot easier for the businesses to go about branding themselves as "bike friendly" without having to worry about the logistics of picking a rack and finding someone with expertise in installing it properly, etc.

re: fast food places, I've noticed one where an employee apparently rides to work there. He/she has to lock his bike to the gas meter every day out back because they don't have any racks! Similarly, my wife's workplace has at least 5 people who regularly commute and no racks or decent places to lock up at all. People just lock them to various metal bars and such on the side of building. The landlord has apparently promised to put in some racks, but it hasn't happened yet in about 2 years of promising.
Old 12-13-10, 02:35 AM
That Linux Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Gainesville and it's a very cycling centric city thanks to University of Florida being at it's heart. Downtown Gainesville has more bike racks than you can shake a stick at but as you get towards the edge of town the racks get much more sparse. I tried stopping at a gas station that had no bike rack (hell, it didn't even have any kind of anything for me to lock my bike to), so I just wheeled it in. The Indian man behind the counter started yelling at me so I walked out and haven't been back since. When I can't find a rack, I usually find a sign-pole to lock my rig up to.

To the person who found it odd that bike shops don't have bike racks, I think it's because the bike shop is usually the place that's cool about your bringing your bike inside. Whenever I head out to one of the 4 bike shops I frequent, I wheel my steed in there without batting an eye.
Old 12-13-10, 03:55 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I live in the suburbs and most shopping plazas don't have proper bike racks. Most of the time I lock to a sign post or some metal railing. Also what really bugs me a lot ,is that non of the bike shops in my city have proper bike racks. Some of the racks I've seen around here are the worst of it's kind, some flimsy little thing where you supposed to lock your wheel... totaly useless !!
Old 12-13-10, 05:30 AM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by walkson2wheels
i'd like you guys to list places that don't have bike racks and why.
1) fast food joints.
rotfl!
Old 12-13-10, 07:19 AM
RichardGlover
2nd Amendment Cyclist

Bikes: Schwinn 2010 World Street, Handsome Speedy w/ SRAM Apex

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
2) I haven't seen a single bike rack outside the Texas Rangers Ballpark or the Cowboys stadium in Arlington. I guess sports fans don't ride to the game?
Do you know how hard it is to fit a charcoal grill and cooler full of beer into a seat wedge?
Old 12-13-10, 08:12 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by RichardGlover
Do you know how hard it is to fit a charcoal grill and cooler full of beer into a seat wedge?
Yeah, that's why you need panniers and a handlebar bag.
Old 12-13-10, 09:07 AM
bhchdh 

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very few of the stores or restaurantes that I frequent have bike racks, what they do have is handicaped parking signs. I find these very convenient to lock to and they are close to the entrances. I also use the shopping cart corrals.
"When I hear another express an opinion, which is not mine, I say to myself, He has a right to his opinion, as I to mine; why should I question it. His error does me no injury, and shall I become a Don Quixot to bring all men by force of argument, to one opinion? If a fact be misstated, it is probable he is gratified by a belief of it, and I have no right to deprive him of the gratification."

T. Jefferson
Old 12-13-10, 12:26 PM
DJConspicious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most places I go have bike racks. But in my area, the question isn't why there aren't any bike racks, it's where are all the bikes. Every time I see one it is totally empty.
Old 12-13-10, 12:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Have you gone to City Council Meetings and spoken to your Elected Government, there, about seeing the need and benefit?

It's part of proper common infrastructure..

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-13-10 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-13-10, 12:39 PM
crdean1

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Siena

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's because we live in DFW, rated the worst cycling friendly city in the US as rated by Bicycling Magazine. Welcome to Texas, where you're doing good just to stay alive on the bike.

Check out www.bicycletexas.com and www.bikedfw.com for advocacy related efforts in our area.
Old 12-13-10, 01:58 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I also think some places are afraid of putting up bike racks for fear of people just abandoning them.
Old 12-13-10, 02:11 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,618 Posts
Court House. Did 4 days of jury duty and my bike was locked to a tree. The court house is right next to the county jail too, so it was a concern that some dirt bag would get released and the first thing he would do is steal my ride.

The first 30 minutes of assembly we had to listen to a speech about where not to park.
Old 12-13-10, 02:16 PM
mnemia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exile
I also think some places are afraid of putting up bike racks for fear of people just abandoning them.
I don't get that logic...are they also afraid to build parking lots for fear that people will just abandon their cars in them? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If a bike is abandoned for a long period of time, just cut any lock and turn it into the police or whatever.
Old 12-13-10, 02:33 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
If they had one, they would charge you a $100 parking fee to use it.
Old 12-13-10, 02:40 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I'd like you guys to list places that DON'T have bike racks and why. I was thinking about this the other day and it really is quite hilarious. It says something, quite unintentionally, about the place.

1) Fast food joints.

One more reason the Giants kick ass.

https://www.sfbike.org/?giants
Old 12-13-10, 03:52 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I don't worry about it too much. If there isn't a bike rack or other convenient place to lock up the bike, I bring it in with me. When someone that works there challenges me (which rarely happens), I ask, "Oh, can you show me where the bike rack is? I couldn't find it." It's worked every time so far.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 12-13-10, 03:53 PM
Titmawz

Bikes: Raleigh Record Ace, Windsor The Hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many places around here do not have racks, so I end up locking my bicycle to signs, etc. If that option is not available I walk in with it.
Old 12-13-10, 04:01 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mnemia
I don't get that logic...are they also afraid to build parking lots for fear that people will just abandon their cars in them? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If a bike is abandoned for a long period of time, just cut any lock and turn it into the police or whatever.
With cars you can trace back who the owner is using the license number or VIN number. With bikes it is not so easy. Most parking lots have some sort of sign stating how long an owner can park. I haven't seen one for a bike rack. The owner of the building then has to put a notice on the bike stating that the bike will be removed after a certain date. Plus there is an expense for the bike rack.
Old 12-13-10, 04:57 PM
urban rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Court House. Did 4 days of jury duty and my bike was locked to a tree. The court house is right next to the county jail too, so it was a concern that some dirt bag would get released and the first thing he would do is steal my ride.

The first 30 minutes of assembly we had to listen to a speech about where not to park.
I usually try not to lock my bikes to the trees but sometimes I have no choice. Before I lock my bike to a pole I usually try the pole and make sure it is secure in the cement. I grew up in New York.
Old 12-13-10, 04:58 PM
urban rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I once wrote a long letter to the minister in my church complaining about the lack of bike racks. The next Sunday there was one in front of the church. It is interesting that resturants and other places that cater to teens do not have bike racks.
Old 12-13-10, 05:22 PM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'd like you guys to list places that DON'T have bike racks and why.
Just about the entire city of Evansville, IN. Why? Probably because there aren't enough people who ride bikes.

Sometimes I ask, "Where's your bike rack?". Not because I think there is one, but just to make them think about it. Doesn't seem to help, though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.