Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Rain coat recommendation

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Rain coat recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-06, 06:10 PM
datepalm3@earth
sfon2wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rain coat recommendation

I know there have been many posts about rain gear, but many are about older, discontinued items. I just wanted to see if anyone could advise or recommend on the following 4 coats...all claim to be waterproof and breatheable:

Bellwether Aqua-No ($80)
J&G ($99)
Pearl Izumi Instinct ($119)
Cannondale Morphis ($100)

I know the Showers Pass Elite gets great reviews, but that's quite a bit more money...these 3 are more in my price range (and no...I'm not going to use a garbage bag, I need a proper coat for commuting). I'd appreciate any comments from people who might have these specific coats, or others as well...guess I just narrowed things down to these 4 as they all appeared to have the features I wanted at a reasonable price. *Also, if anyone has the J&G coat, is it a bright, hi-vis yellow?? It doesn't really look so from the pics on their site, and that's something that's important to me.

Thanks

Last edited by datepalm3@earth; 10-19-06 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-19-06, 07:06 PM
Jarery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The J&G gets applause from all who own it, as does the showers pass, and the burley. Of the 3 I think j&G is the least expensive. I have yet to see a negative review from anyone who uses one of the above 3.

Another that is made of the same material as the showerspass and so far has had positive reviews and no complaints is the Gill Adreneline jacket (and it looks sharp), which i think is on sale at performance, or nashbar for $119 or so. Not sure how that falls in your budget.

The other 2 ive not seen or heard about. (i know about PI, just not that partiular jacket)
Old 10-19-06, 07:24 PM
wild animals
Real Human Being

Bikes: Sleeping Beauty: 2008 Jamis Aurora

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
aw, man, i was almost about to go for that gill adrenaline jacket but the whole back of it is BLACK!
Old 10-19-06, 07:37 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am using a Performance rain jacket (and pants) that my wife gave me 19 years ago. With a few minor repairs it(they) is(are) still serviceable. Nylon/goretex outer layer and a loose, thin synthetic inner layer which gives suprising extra warmth. Spilled battery acid on the sleeve once and the acid ate thru the nylon but stopped at the Goretex/Teflon/fluorocarbon vapor barrier, saving my skin. I do not know how they make them these days but if they are as good . . . and in your price range go for it.
Old 10-20-06, 01:31 AM
johnnycoke

Bikes: 2007 Jamis Aurora, 2005 Kona Smoke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the J&G Breathable, and it's more of a school bus yellow, but it's very visible. It also has reflective strips on the neck and wrists. I'm really happy with mine.
Old 10-20-06, 05:31 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
J&G breathable here. Had it for over a year, I wear it every day in the winter as a windbreaker and on cold rainy days, and it's everything I ever wanted in a rain jacket.
OK, I guess I would like a hood for when I wear it off the bike. But on the bike it's perfect, off the bike it's merely very good.
Old 10-20-06, 06:10 AM
ColorChange
3 seconds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I highly recommend the Showers Pass Elite. Super waterproof, super breathable. I know it's expensive but it really is awesome.
Old 10-20-06, 09:40 AM
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wild animals
aw, man, i was almost about to go for that gill adrenaline jacket but the whole back of it is BLACK!
Well, more like gray. At least it does have some 1/4" wide reflective strips on it. And you still have the yellow sleeves visibile from the back, plus the yellow sides to a small extent.

I've got one and like it pretty good, but still scratching my head at the gray back panel. You can always wear a hi-viz mesh vest!
Old 10-20-06, 12:04 PM
NeezyDeezy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought the Gill Adrenaline jacket. With the 15% off the already huge discount, it seems like the best jacket for the money by far if you don't mind the visibility issue (I am one of the "Total Geeks" from the sticky, so I'm less concerned about the color). It seems that it is as good as the shower's pass elite jersey at near half the price. I will write a proper review once I get it and have a few chances to wear it in the rain. Thanks for the recommendation Jarery, without that I wouldn't have found it.
Old 10-20-06, 12:11 PM
NoRacer
Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
During this morning's commute to work in the rain, I wore my handy-dandy-A1-M1-Mighty Fine-Hefty Tall Kitchen Trash Can Liner with holes cut in it for my arms and neck. No one would even know unless you told them.

I'll probably use it for the wind this afternoon.
Old 10-20-06, 02:07 PM
jimmuter
Urban Biker

Bikes: Trek 720 hybrid; 2007 Specialized Tricross Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColorChange
I highly recommend the Showers Pass Elite. Super waterproof, super breathable. I know it's expensive but it really is awesome.
I bit the bullet and purchased this one too. It's worth it.
Old 10-20-06, 02:22 PM
GTcommuter
Easily distracted...

Bikes: Surley Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know the high-priced jackets are worth the money for durability and comfort. But I have been continually pleased with my Rainshield O2 jacket. It's lightweight and might not last under daily use, but is a great occasional shell and is just as comfortable as any other jacket I've tried.
Old 10-20-06, 04:00 PM
newbojeff
Commuter First

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had my Showerpass Elite now for about 3 weeks and it FINALLY rained on my way home tonight!!

Truthfully, given that it was about 60 degrees, I usually wouldn't even wear a coat, but I wanted to give it a try. MUCH better than the nylon REI windbreaker I'd been using (truth in reviewing is that the Shower Pass is the first trully cycling-specific coat I've ever had). Cooler, but I did get a bit sweaty riding home hard. I found I could get better airflow through the coat by extending by elbows out and shrugging my shoulders. Kept me bone dry in a 30 minute downpour too. The fit, a M (I'm 5'11" and about 155), is fantastic.

I've done a few early morning rides with the coat and a fleece jersey when the starting temp was about 35. Other coats leave me too warm after a time, but this one is windblocking and more comfortable.
Old 10-20-06, 05:27 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Living in Denver I think I would need a rain jacket maybe 5 to 10 times a year.
Summer storms do not count. I prefer to get soaked while in a downpour.
My vote would be for the j&g non breathable rain jacket due to the cost.