Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIII

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIII

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-20, 07:38 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28592 Post(s)
Liked 1,855 Times in 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
West to East. 3 of us went to Florence Oregon in a rental car and paid a guy to drive it back to LA. Picked up the fourth rider in Pocatello Idaho (long story) We stayed in motels and it took 6 weeks to get to Danville Kentucky which is where I quit. One of the guys had a cousin in Louisville and they drove to Danville to meet us and offered me a ride to their place so I could get a bus to see my friend in Arkansas. I was sick of the assaults on the road plus I had giardia. 3 of us had it starting in Wyoming.

It took 8 weeks for the 2 guys who went coast to coast.
Should have avoided Wyoming.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
In '99 I did Seattle to Bar Harbor, ME, self contained in 93 days with a small group of people. Mostly camped. Two forays into Canada: Two nights in Alberta and two in Niagara Falls. After a few rest days in Bar Harbor I rode home to Philly over the next couple of weeks then on to Ocean City, NJ and back to Philly.
Kudos.
Old 07-27-20, 07:49 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Should have avoided bad water in Wyoming. Wyoming is actually a decent place to ride in terms of shoulders. Way better than many places in Colorado. I used to have a photo from My Seattle to Mesa Verde, CO tour in 2000 that I took at the WY-CO border. As soon as I crossed into CO that shoulder disappeared. Lost the photo, but if you pan around you can see what I mean:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.0010...!7i3328!8i1664
Old 07-27-20, 08:00 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11398 Post(s)
Liked 4,744 Times in 2,763 Posts
Should have avoided bad water in Wyoming. Wyoming is actually a decent place to ride in terms of shoulders. Way better than many places in Colorado. I used to have a photo from My Seattle to Mesa Verde, CO tour in 2000 that I took at the WY-CO border. As soon as I crossed into CO that shoulder disappeared. Lost the photo, but if you pan around you can see what I mean:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.0010...!7i3328!8i1664
Head north or east, the drivers give room, wave, and deal with us in a kind way. Go up to the hills, or in the city, it's a whole different animal. That's why I really have no issue driving 30 miles to go do TT intervals.
Old 07-27-20, 08:04 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Should have avoided bad water in Wyoming. Wyoming is actually a decent place to ride in terms of shoulders.
Based upon photos previously posted here, it should be avoided. #FrozenHellscape
Old 07-27-20, 08:08 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by LAJ
That's why I really have no issue driving 30 miles to go do TT intervals.
Must not have a nearby office park to hit during the evenings/weekends. Sad.
Old 07-27-20, 08:08 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Bleh? This ride made you Legendary.
Does Strava say I’ve spent way too much time on the MUP? Haven’t checked it yet.
Old 07-27-20, 08:15 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Does Strava say I’ve spent way too much time on the MUP? Haven’t checked it yet.
Dumb that it only shows up on mobile... Anywho, you're the LL on 'Como circular numa rotunda' whatever that is.
Old 07-27-20, 08:33 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by LAJ
Head north or east, the drivers give room, wave, and deal with us in a kind way. Go up to the hills, or in the city, it's a whole different animal. That's why I really have no issue driving 30 miles to go do TT intervals.
I stayed in Walden, Kremling, Breckenridge, between Buena Vista and Salida, Gunnison, Montrose and SW of Telluride on CO 145 (before Lizard Head Pass) on the way to Cortez to meet my squeeze.
Old 07-27-20, 08:58 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22590 Post(s)
Liked 8,924 Times in 4,157 Posts
Maybe I should post this in 50+, but I will start here.

In the past, I would sometimes do night-time summer rides on the MUP. The local MUP is "closed" after sunset but that means it's not patrolled, it's still ok to ride on. It's usually deserted and I have had some really delicious warm summer night rides using my SS and bright lights.

This year, I have often told myself early in the day that a post-dinner ride on the MUP is a good idea, but by the time I would go for a ride I am just too tired and/or cranky to have the initiative to go ride.

I am thinking it's my age and maybe covid19 angst, but early in the day (like now) it still seems like it would be a good idea and likely good for my physical and mental heath.

Suggestions??
Old 07-27-20, 09:01 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8274 Post(s)
Liked 9,031 Times in 4,471 Posts

Kudos.
I think the guy who got giardia first got it in eastern Idaho. He was too sick to ride so he hitchhiked the first day and got medication. We boxed his bike at that day's destination and he took a bus ahead until he felt well enough to ride. The giardia is very contagious and can be passed by handling other people's water or other things.

The second guy got it after the first and he took the leftover prescription before he saw a doc and got another bottle of bug killer. Then, finally, I got sick with it and the second guy had leftover meds but he didn't want to give it to me. Second guy told him to so he threw it out onto the highway. We ended up dropping him in Illinois and he finished the trip alone. Wasn't my idea, the other guys wanted to drop him earlier and I convinced them to give him another chance.
Old 07-27-20, 09:10 AM
big john

I stayed in Walden, Kremling, Breckenridge, between Buena Vista and Salida, Gunnison, Montrose and SW of Telluride on CO 145 (before Lizard Head Pass) on the way to Cortez to meet my squeeze.
We had no trouble with drivers in Colorado or anywhere until we got to the South, eastern Kansas is when it started.

We went to a town in eastern Colorado the was hit by a tornado and the people were still in shock. They lost their Police and Fire stations and supermarket. The whole town was shopping at the 7-11 which was stocked in the aisles with groceries. They put up with us but we left without breakfast the next morning and went to a town called Brush where they were having a 4th of July breakfast outside in a park. They invited us in and it was $3 for all you could eat of the best breakfast ever. Like most of the people we met, they were friendly and just wanted to hear our story.
Old 07-27-20, 09:11 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11398 Post(s)
Liked 4,744 Times in 2,763 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas

In the past, I would sometimes do night-time summer rides on the MUP. The local MUP is "closed" after sunset but that means it's not patrolled, it's still ok to ride on. It's usually deserted and I have had some really delicious warm summer night rides using my SS and bright lights.

This year, I have often told myself early in the day that a post-dinner ride on the MUP is a good idea, but by the time I would go for a ride I am just too tired and/or cranky to have the initiative to go ride.

I am thinking it's my age and maybe covid19 angst, but early in the day (like now) it still seems like it would be a good idea and likely good for my physical and mental heath.

Suggestions??
First, you need to figure out what makes you cranky.

Nighttime on the MUP is the last place I would want to be in these strange times.
Old 07-27-20, 09:36 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22590 Post(s)
Liked 8,924 Times in 4,157 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
First, you need to figure out what makes you cranky.

Nighttime on the MUP is the last place I would want to be in these strange times.
Work and covid stress make me cranky. I agree about MUP. Will reconsider options.
Old 07-27-20, 09:37 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12759 Post(s)
Liked 7,673 Times in 4,071 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas

Suggestions??
I've gotten that way about doing any kind of ride in the past, then when I finally went for a ride it felt like the best idea ever. I guess you can try it one night and if you're not feeling good about it after 2 miles, turn around an then you've only wasted 20 mins or so.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 07-27-20, 10:04 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by big john
Like most of the people we met, they were friendly and just wanted to hear our story.
We had a day off in Glasgow, MT and got invited to partake in the free lunch being served by Gordon's Warehouse Grocery on customer appreciation day.

Even when I am tired and hungry I always try to be polite and tell my story, even if it's for the 5 times that day.

I think being in a group of 13 made us less approachable hospitality-wise. I am also certain we seemed less needy. When I started my travel home from ME I did experience some acts of kindness. One woman at a campground gave me a half a leftover pie she had baked in her RV.

But there is a flip side to that: When I was touring for 7 weeks alone in 2000 I felt there were several occasions where people felt uncomfortable. A "Why is a single guy his age on his own? Doesn't he have any friends? Something must be wrong with him." vibe. One evening I was sitting on a picnic table inside a screened in shelter (so many mosquitoes) in a free campground/park in Wisdom, MT. Woman pulls in driving an RV. Does a few circles then drives off. Maybe 30 min. later a man riding a tandem with a young-ish child comes rolling into town. Two days later I met the woman while doing laundry at a KOA. She told me she was driving SAG for her husband and daughter who were riding across the country. I also mentioned that I had camped in Wisdom. She said she had driven into town, checked out the campground, saw some "creepy" looking guy and decided to look for a motel room in town. it was the night I was there. Open mouth, insert foot. It was fun listening to her try to walk back that comment. After that, I tried to work into conversations that I was on way to see my girlfriend who was interning at Mesa Verde N.P.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-27-20, 10:41 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,852 Times in 3,152 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
I've had a few of those lately. Very disturbing. I tend to blame target fixation, because the vehicles haven't been the typical malicious type, but whatever it is, it's bad.
Old 07-27-20, 10:42 AM
big john

We were in a group of four but we usually split up during the day's ride and met up later at the day's destination. We rode the Bikecentennial route so we saw other cyclists often. Some people thought we were homeless nomads and they were surprised when we told them we had jobs and were just on vacation.
Some were freaked when they heard we were from L.A. Like we were crack dealers or something.

The kindness of so many is what surprised me the most. We were chatting with a couple riders who were going the other way on a remote country road and a lady who lived there sent her kid out with glasses of fresh squeezed orange juice for each of us. Walking around a small town in Kansas an older couple invited us into their yard and gave us home made candy. People let us stay in their homes a few times and their hospitality was amazing. A man came up to us at breakfast in a restaurant and said he owned a bunch of tire stores throughout the state and if we needed anything he would have one of his drivers pick it up for us. Most of Kansas drivers would wait until the other lane was clear before passing us and they would wave and smile as they went by.
Old 07-27-20, 10:45 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,852 Times in 3,152 Posts
PM works! Perfect fit with the Wheels Mfg. BB. Shifting with the Praxis chainwheels isn't quite as silent and smooth as Shimano, but still good.
Old 07-27-20, 10:52 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Is it crazy that rather than ride this AM I started work super early so that I could go out in the heat? My wife thinks so, I like it.
Old 07-27-20, 10:56 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3357 Post(s)
Liked 3,636 Times in 1,242 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
Is it crazy that rather than ride this AM I started work super early so that I could go out in the heat? My wife thinks so, I like it.
It's finally cooling off a little bit here, highs in the low to mid 80's all week. I did not ride all weekend because I was hiding inside the entire time, yesterday was especially gross.
Old 07-27-20, 11:04 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
PM works!
Called it.

wut
Old 07-27-20, 11:07 AM
SwtBadger

Bikes: 2015 BMC SLR02; 2004 Bianchi Veloce; 2000 Gary Fischer Big Sur

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
It's finally cooling off a little bit here, highs in the low to mid 80's all week. I did not ride all weekend because I was hiding inside the entire time, yesterday was especially gross.
Perhaps 75 miles to the Northwest I made it out the last 3 days, but it was brutal. By Sunday had nothing to go on and took a cold shower to cool down afterwards. I don't know how those south of us with humidity can cycle in the summer. Luckily looking better this week.
Likes For SwtBadger:
Old 07-27-20, 11:11 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Garmin is partly back up; apparently fully for some people.

Drizzly misty morning today, and slept so long and deep I’m still not really awake. Did a short ride to wake up but headed home still wet from riding through downfalling mist.

Bleh.
My scale synced this morning as did my morning ride.

Old 07-27-20, 11:11 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12759 Post(s)
Liked 7,673 Times in 4,071 Posts
Called it.

wut
Yep, as soon as I saw that "FORWARD EXPIRED" I knew is was on a slow boat (back) to China.
Old 07-27-20, 11:15 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Man I am still not awake. AG asked if I made myself decaf by accident, but I was drowsy when I woke up and don't have a headache now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.