Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

C02 Inflator Blow-Up

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

C02 Inflator Blow-Up

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-19, 11:34 AM
mojojojo

Bikes: breezer greenway, mercier corvus, stache 8, diamondback trail bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
C02 Inflator Blow-Up

I had a flat on my commute this morning. I put the inflator on and pressed to fill the tire and boom. I thought I blew the tire but the inflator was in pieces. I put it all back together and it happened again. Finally, I got it together enough to work and was on my way but now I don't have much confidence in the inflator.

I use the Genuine Inflations Airchuck

Is there a better. I prefer not to have the canister so I can use different size cartridges for my road and mountain bikes but this isn't a deal breaker. I like how you push to inflate on this one.

BTW, when I don't use a full cartridge I just keep the cartridge on the inflator. I guess this didn't cause the problem but maybe it did.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 10-16-19, 11:46 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by mojojojo
I had a flat on my commute this morning. I put the inflator on and pressed to fill the tire and boom. I thought I blew the tire but the inflator was in pieces. I put it all back together and it happened again. Finally, I got it together enough to work and was on my way but now I don't have much confidence in the inflator.

I use the Genuine Inflations Airchuck

Is there a better. I prefer not to have the canister so I can use different size cartridges for my road and mountain bikes but this isn't a deal breaker. I like how you push to inflate on this one.

BTW, when I don't use a full cartridge I just keep the cartridge on the inflator. I guess this didn't cause the problem but maybe it did.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Is this one of the ones where you twist something to control or start airflow? If so you are supposed to close or shut it off before you pull it off your tire valve...otherwise you risk blowing the seals through the chuck when you pull it off. Is that what happened?
Old 10-16-19, 11:49 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3422 Post(s)
Liked 3,559 Times in 1,789 Posts
Hmm. Do you know which part of it failed?

I've been using one of those Genuine Innovations AirChucks for at least 10 years without a hitch.

On the plus side, it has a lifetime guarantee. They ought to replace it for you, upon request.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 10-16-19, 12:23 PM
mojojojo

Bikes: breezer greenway, mercier corvus, stache 8, diamondback trail bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Hmm. Do you know which part of it failed?

I've been using one of those Genuine Innovations AirChucks for at least 10 years without a hitch.

On the plus side, it has a lifetime guarantee. They ought to replace it for you, upon request.

The head came apart. There was a metal washer, a rubber grommet and a metal piece.

BTW, thanks about the guarantee. I emailed the company.

Update: Genuine Innovations has already sent a replacement.

Last edited by mojojojo; 10-17-19 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Update
Old 10-16-19, 01:57 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
Is this one of the ones where you twist something to control or start airflow? If so you are supposed to close or shut it off before you pull it off your tire valve...otherwise you risk blowing the seals through the chuck when you pull it off. Is that what happened?
I have this unit. there is no regulation. you screw the cartridge on, then press the head on your valve & it inflates. you remove it when you think enough air has exchanged between the cartridge & the tire/tube. if you take it off & there's more in the cartridge you can generally press it on again to add more air. I've done this with a slow leak. however, recently I was filling a repaired tube & after removing it I couldn't add more. I removed the cartridge & when I did, some gas escaped from the cartridge, meaning it didn't empty completely. wound up using another cartridge to get a complete fill. regardless, I bought a new unit just in case the old one was wearing out or something
Old 10-17-19, 06:53 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Sounds dangerous.
Old 10-17-19, 11:38 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,424 Times in 2,532 Posts
It blew up in your hand? Sounds scary, but I guess you didn't get hurt or you would have said