Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Park Tools

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-24, 06:16 AM
hsea17

Bikes: Scott Addict Rc 20/Giant SCR / Felt FR5 / Trek Emonda ALR 6 / Trek Domane AL2

Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Park Tools

How to know if tools from Park Tool are genuine buying from megastores online which sell everything? I just bought a 3-Way and Hex Torx® Compatible wrench — 4mm/5mm/T25 online. Is there a way to recognize if its real? Btw, cost approximately US 20, -
Thanks
hsea17
Old 05-22-24, 06:28 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Liked 735 Times in 455 Posts
Who did you buy from? If one of the popular, recognized U.S. shops, unlikely to be counterfeit. If from an overseas, cheapo sites, might or might not be. You could go to Park Tools website and pay particular attention the the font, etc. and compare to your tool. Sometimes the font or something in the lettering won't be just perfect on a knock-off.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 05-22-24, 06:36 AM
bboy314

Liked 1,069 Times in 539 Posts
The best way is to buy from a reputable seller.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 05-22-24, 08:39 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,001 Times in 3,444 Posts
Generally you can't know for certain. You pretty much have to trust the place you buy from.
Old 05-22-24, 08:46 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Liked 3,105 Times in 1,873 Posts
Is it really going to matter for most tools? You think a copy-cat "Park" cone wrench is going to be massively inferior to the actual item? How about Allen Wrenches? Freewheel removal tools?

What tools are you planning to buy? I love Park, but there are other manufacturers that make better tools. The Hozan fourth hand is vastly superior to the Park version, for instance.
Old 05-22-24, 09:01 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Liked 2,006 Times in 1,256 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Is it really going to matter for most tools? You think a copy-cat "Park" cone wrench is going to be massively inferior to the actual item? How about Allen Wrenches? Freewheel removal tools?
The problem with counterfeits is you don't know if it matters until you know that it matters. Take your cone wrench for example. The real, name-brand tool (it's not just Park, could be Var, Pedro's etc.) is made of good quality steel. When you start to lock the cone down against the nut, it's going to hold. Some counterfeits may use similar steel; some others may use a cheap metal, and when you start to lock it down, the "tool" can deform and slip, and you bust your knuckles.

If you believe price trumps quality, buy the cheap knock-offs. Sometimes you'll win. Sometimes you'll bleed, or damage whatever you were working on.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 05-22-24, 05:16 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,234 Times in 2,831 Posts
If you bought it from an authorized retailer you know it is real if you didn't you DON'T CARE don't ask the question, you know the answer and if you don't you truly don't care. Even if real Park Tool is generally not going to warranty something not bought from an authorized retailer. That is why that exists so they know who sells their product and they can make sure it is sold properly and at the correct price and can support their product. However truly if you don't buy from someone authorized to sell Park Tool you don't care where it comes from or if it is real caring is something you do before you buy a product afterwards you already made that deal and about all you can do is sit and stew in it and hopefully that is a delicious stew with plenty of garlic and onions and carrots and potatoes and good quality red wine or maybe some brandy or vermouth.

In terms of tools ALWAYS buy the best tools you can especially for heavily used tools and buy them from authorized sellers so you know you get the real thing so when something happens they will support you or be more likely to. Plus a high quality tool will last longer, work better and be much less likely to damage something.

When people generally talk price they aren't talking price they are talking PURE INITIAL COST and nothing else they don't care about the actual cost of the item just the bits of coins they will save in that initial purchase period. It is a poor way to look at price because it really doesn't factor in the whole just a tiny sliver which matters less and less as time goes on. Obviously yes if you have two authorized sellers selling the same product and one is $2 cheaper that is one thing but going to a place known to sell fakes, knockoffs and cheap products to save what you think is $2 is different.
Old 05-22-24, 08:47 PM
Crankycrank

Liked 1,122 Times in 775 Posts
Originally Posted by hsea17
How to know if tools from Park Tool are genuine buying from megastores online which sell everything?
I'll be the second person to ask, where did you buy it from. Might help us to provide some knowledge.
Old 05-23-24, 05:31 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Liked 725 Times in 443 Posts
How to know if tools from Park Tool are genuine buying from megastores online which sell everything?
I think this is a fair question. It sounds like you'd like a way to technically identify genuine tools. And I think it's reasonable to want to save money by shopping around (these days, that often means online). If you're selecting Park, you are already trying to buy the best. And they are not cheap -- I still do not own a truing stand, in part because I want a Park professional one, no sense buying off-brand.

Being told "go to a place that charges more, then you'll be getting the real deal" does not help you. Uh... neither does my post.

Old 05-23-24, 05:56 AM
hsea17

Bikes: Scott Addict Rc 20/Giant SCR / Felt FR5 / Trek Emonda ALR 6 / Trek Domane AL2

The only thing I have found, if nothing else, is that the price paid is similar to the price of some serious bike tool companies in my country of citizenship. But in a while I will have the bike overhauled at the bike dealer where I reside and ask them where they buy Park Tools from.
hsea17
Old 05-23-24, 06:01 AM
hsea17

Originally Posted by veganbikes
If you bought it from an authorized retailer you know it is real if you didn't you DON'T CARE don't ask the question, you know the answer and if you don't you truly don't care. Even if real Park Tool is generally not going to warranty something not bought from an authorized retailer. That is why that exists so they know who sells their product and they can make sure it is sold properly and at the correct price and can support their product. However truly if you don't buy from someone authorized to sell Park Tool you don't care where it comes from or if it is real caring is something you do before you buy a product afterwards you already made that deal and about all you can do is sit and stew in it and hopefully that is a delicious stew with plenty of garlic and onions and carrots and potatoes and good quality red wine or maybe some brandy or vermouth.

In terms of tools ALWAYS buy the best tools you can especially for heavily used tools and buy them from authorized sellers so you know you get the real thing so when something happens they will support you or be more likely to. Plus a high quality tool will last longer, work better and be much less likely to damage something.

When people generally talk price they aren't talking price they are talking PURE INITIAL COST and nothing else they don't care about the actual cost of the item just the bits of coins they will save in that initial purchase period. It is a poor way to look at price because it really doesn't factor in the whole just a tiny sliver which matters less and less as time goes on. Obviously yes if you have two authorized sellers selling the same product and one is $2 cheaper that is one thing but going to a place known to sell fakes, knockoffs and cheap products to save what you think is $2 is different.
Ok I'll be brief. In some places in the world, you can pay to be an authorized seller. 
hsea17
Old 05-23-24, 06:22 AM
13ollocks

Liked 218 Times in 129 Posts
How to know if tools from Park Tool are genuine buying from megastores online which sell everything? I just bought a 3-Way and Hex Torx® Compatible wrench — 4mm/5mm/T25 online. Is there a way to recognize if its real? Btw, cost approximately US 20, -
Thanks
hsea17
I don’t think it matters that much - these are bicycle tools, not Airbus tools (god only knows what they use at Boeing these days). There used to be a phrase “blue tax” or “blue surcharge” - the implication being that Park tools were overpriced for what they were, simply because they were “specialty”. So, you’re likely overpaying - to Park if they’re genuine or to someone else if they’re counterfeit.
FWIW, apart from a few obviously bike-centric Park tools (eg bike stand, BB tools, cone wrenches, quick link breaker), almost all of my most heavily used tools came from Harbor Freight or wherever - I do all my own bike work and I’ve rebuilt several cars with these cheap-ass tools. Would I use them (or would they last) in a pro workshop? Probably not, but I’m not a pro, just a guy who uses tools

Last edited by 13ollocks; 05-23-24 at 06:26 AM.
Likes For 13ollocks:
Old 05-23-24, 06:59 AM
smd4

I just bought a 3-Way and Hex Torx® Compatible wrench — 4mm/5mm/T25 online. Is there a way to recognize if its real?
So two Allen wrenches and a Torx in one tool? Can you post a photo? If not, what's the tool's part number?

*Personally,* I didn't know Park made such a tool.
Old 05-23-24, 07:30 AM
Crankycrank

Liked 1,122 Times in 775 Posts
So two Allen wrenches and a Torx in one tool? Can you post a photo? If not, what's the tool's part number?

I had to check that myself but apparently they do. AWS-7 AWS-7 3-Way Hex and Torx® Compatible Wrench | Park Tool

Last edited by Crankycrank; 05-23-24 at 07:39 AM.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 05-23-24, 07:31 AM
bboy314

Liked 1,069 Times in 539 Posts

AWS-7 is the model. Contains 4 and 5mm hex, and t25 torx.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 05-23-24, 07:37 AM
smd4

Interesting. Thank you both for the heads-up.
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-23-24, 08:26 AM
smd4

Btw, cost approximately US 20.
Seems you may have overpaid, but I don't know where you are. They are $14 on eBay with free shipping. On the plus side, fakes are usually cheaper than the real thing, not more expensive, so the odds are in your favor that you got a genuine Park.
Old 05-23-24, 09:51 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,234 Times in 2,831 Posts
Ok I'll be brief. In some places in the world, you can pay to be an authorized seller. 
hsea17
Yes you can become an authorized seller but paying money doesn't necessarily make one an authorized seller and just calling yourself one does not mean much of anything. If you are actual authorized by in this instance Park Tool Company then you are an authorized seller if you are buying fakes and knockoffs from someone who has no moral or ethical scruples you are NOT an authorized seller despite what you paid the guy in the trench coat (I know it isn't all guys in trench coats).
Old 05-23-24, 08:08 PM
hsea17

Seems you may have overpaid, but I don't know where you are. They are $14 on eBay with free shipping. On the plus side, fakes are usually cheaper than the real thing, not more expensive, so the odds are in your favor that you got a genuine Park.
Bummer, after checking exact exchange rate I actually paid US 14.60 included domestic shipping 
hsea17

Last edited by hsea17; 05-24-24 at 04:35 AM.
Old 05-23-24, 08:19 PM
hsea17

This is the Park Tool Aws - 7 I bought.
hsea17

Last edited by hsea17; 05-24-24 at 04:38 AM.
Old 05-23-24, 09:51 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Liked 619 Times in 427 Posts
I did vendor evaluations in the PRC and found as an example (not real) Park might contract to make 10,000 XYZ tools and when their QA/QC team leaves at the end of the contract the Chinese company will have the tooling and some materials left to make a quality produce and can start cutting corners on packaging/materials/machining and the quality deteriorates. This works for them as opposed to our belief that shame on you for pulling one over on someone but in their culture the approach is shame on you for not doing due diligence to not know you were being taken.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 05-24-24, 11:28 AM
grumpus

Liked 518 Times in 390 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
If you're selecting Park, you are already trying to buy the best.
They'd like you to think that, but they're really just "pretty good" and convenient, often not "the best". VAR, Hozan, Knipex etc. make some great stuff, but they don't have the all-encompassing range, and your tool wall won't look so blue.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 05-24-24, 11:33 AM
smd4

Park went downhill when they changed the design of the most versatile tool we had in the 1980s:

Old 05-24-24, 12:47 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Liked 725 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
VAR, Hozan, Knipex etc.
Aye -- all good! But that does not put Park in the same category as, say, Harbor Freight. Actually, I still do not have any Knipex. And an all-Blue tool board would be surely competent.

Park went downhill when they changed the design of the most versatile tool we had in the 1980s:
Cool! But maybe not so much as "the most versatile tool we had in the 1970s" where the three arms were 8mm, 9mm and 10mm sockets. I should peel off the rubberized coating on the one I have, no idea if it's labeled Park or not. Of course, now you can build an entire bike using only Allen wrenches.

Old 05-24-24, 01:34 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by tiger1964
Cool! But maybe not so much as "the most versatile tool we had in the 1970s" where the three arms were 8mm, 9mm and 10mm sockets.
That was the second tool that never left our shop apron pockets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.