Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

When to replace my wheels due to rim wear?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-18, 12:11 PM
hhk25

Bikes: 2017 Marinoni Tourismo Extreme, 1984 Trek 520, 1987 Niskhiki International, 2013 Brompton M6R, 2016 Brompton P6R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

I have an old mountain bike with v-brakes. The rims are original and I'm definitely feeling wear on the back wheel from the brake pads. I don't see any wear markers at all. Is there any way I could measure and know if the rim needs replacing?
Old 03-09-18, 12:32 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4339 Post(s)
Liked 2,983 Times in 1,619 Posts
Originally Posted by hhk25
I have an old mountain bike with v-brakes. The rims are original and I'm definitely feeling wear on the back wheel from the brake pads. I don't see any wear markers at all. Is there any way I could measure and know if the rim needs replacing?
1. If you think it's worn out it probably is.
2. Worn out brake track will be sort of concave, or you might see alternating shiny and dark patches between spokes.
3. Most wear markers are visible when the rim is still good - and disappear when the rim is worn out.
4. Pretty hard to get most measuring tools in there, but they do make some.

Old 03-09-18, 12:41 PM
LKA 

Bikes: '17-Haanjo Trail '09-H-a-o-l-e '88-712

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know if verniers would work to measure in this case. I'm thinking that a tire removal & the best line-of-sight eyeballing of the wall thickness difference that you can get might be your only recourse. Or you could take the bike to your LBS. If they are good citizens, you should get an honest evaluation. I'm curious what a more knowledgeable cyclist will have to say.
Good luck!

edit: Verniers above, FTW. My verniers wouldn't fit inside the rim like that due to their design.

Last edited by LKA; 03-09-18 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Verniers, FTW
Old 03-09-18, 12:43 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Something like these would work: https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Iwa.../dp/B0087HKWCO
Old 03-09-18, 12:47 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4813 Post(s)
Liked 3,940 Times in 2,562 Posts
Or just lay a straightedge across the rim sidewall. If the mid-point of the sidewall is a long ways from the ruler, you have a lot of wear. (You can see that clearly on Scott's photo.) This check isn't accurate or definitive, but it is easy to do with the tire on; a real plus.

Also consider - replacing a rim too soon is spending unnecessary money but waiting too long and having the tire blow, tearing the rim sidewall out could lead to scraped seat or chainstay and maybe even a cut calf. I've seen some bikes (and calves) at the coop that weren't pretty pictures. If you bike is carbon fiber, more reason to replace early than late.

Edit: typos

Ben
Old 03-09-18, 01:21 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
2. Worn out brake track will be sort of concave, or you might see alternating shiny and dark patches between spokes.
3. Most wear markers are visible when the rim is still good - and disappear when the rim is worn out.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Or just lay a straightedge across the rim sidewall. If the mid-point of the sidewall is a long ways from the ruler, you have a lot of wear. (You can see that clearly on Scott's photo.) This check isn't accurate or definitive, but it is easy to do with the tire on; a real plus.

Also consider - replacing a rim too soon is spending unnecessary money but waiting too long and having the tire blow, tearing the rim sidewall out could lead to scraped seat or chainstay and maybe even a cut calf. I've seen some bikes (and calves) at the coop that weren't pretty pictures. If you bike is carbon fiber, more reason to replace early than late.

Ben
Something I've been thinking about lately: we know what the failure mode is if the sidewall wears through between the bead hook and the bead seat of the rim, and it's not pretty. What happens if the rim wears through the hollow space that we can't easily measure first? Seems like it would be akin to wearing through the sidewall of a tubular rim.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-09-18, 02:17 PM
Ghrumpy

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Crap. Now I want a new tool. Thanks @DiabloScott
Old 03-09-18, 02:22 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Some mfrs will list the acceptable wall thickness of their rims, I would do a search there. If you have some measuring device that only measures flat surfaces you can use some round wire about the gauge of a spoke (or just use a spoke), measure the dia of the wire then place in the valley of the brake groove in your rim, measure and then you can find the thickness of the wall by just subtracting the wire dia.
Old 03-09-18, 02:23 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4813 Post(s)
Liked 3,940 Times in 2,562 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Something I've been thinking about lately: we know what the failure mode is if the sidewall wears through between the bead hook and the bead seat of the rim, and it's not pretty. What happens if the rim wears through the hollow space that we can't easily measure first? Seems like it would be akin to wearing through the sidewall of a tubular rim.
I would expect not nearly so big a deal. Sidewall would collapse on say a pavement break from lack of vertical structural strength, the tire might blow but I would expect the outer portion of the rim to not peel off as a long, jagged shard. There would be the danger of the tire coming off the rim, always a risk with clinchers and that outcome can be bad.

I've collapsed the sidewall hopping a pothole on a very worn tubular rim. Had to ride the 10 miles home on a 1" indent. Thump, thump. Other than that, not a big deal. The day may come when I go back to those pain-in-the-a** sewups for the peace of mind. Good glue - the tire stays on. Blow outs, rim failures - speed doesn't matter.

To your point of that inner portion of sidewall being hard to measure: another reason for the straightedge check.

Ben
Old 03-09-18, 02:32 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
if course if running tubulars you need a width, base measurement, to start with from new rim.

then you may note the wear over time.. with future measurements..
Old 03-09-18, 03:02 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 401 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
That's a "crown thickness gauge". If it's decently made, it's accurate to 0.1 mm. Not as accurate as the micrometer, but a heck of a lot cheaper!

Or just lay a straightedge across the rim sidewall.

Also consider - replacing a rim too soon is spending unnecessary money...
This is an easy test, but like measurement of the rim wall thickness it's just a data point that indicates wear, but doesn't really tell *when* to pull the plug on the rim.

In my experience, when the rim wall wears thin enough, the tire pressure will begin to push part of the rim wall out. This will be readily apparent as a new "thump" that's only present when the brake is applied. This is the time to replace the rim! Once it begins to crack and bulge out, the brake pads will flex the rim wall every time the bulging part passes through the brakes. This flexing will propagate the crack faster, and could eventually lead to a sudden and (probably) catastrophic rim wall failure.

I've attached images of one of my folding commuter bike's rims in "failure" mode. When I saw the bulge, I reduced the tire pressure significantly and rode home and took the wheel out of service. This is a 20" rear wheel... the only kind of wheel I've seen severe wear on. However, if you Google "Bicycle Rim Wear" you will see full-sized rims with the same problem.

So... short answer: Replace the rim when it begins to thump when the brakes are applied.
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
File Type: jpeg
Rim Wear Detection.jpeg (397.2 KB, 197 views)
Rim Wear Fracture img_8405.jpg (515.2 KB, 200 views)
Rim Wear Fracture img_8407.jpg (487.9 KB, 196 views)
Rim Wear Fracture img_8411.jpg (277.1 KB, 198 views)
Old 03-09-18, 04:57 PM
hhk25

Bikes: 2017 Marinoni Tourismo Extreme, 1984 Trek 520, 1987 Niskhiki International, 2013 Brompton M6R, 2016 Brompton P6R

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
This is what mine looks like right now. There is noticeable wear but no bulging. I'll leave it for now until I can get to a bike shop.

The problem with replacing the wheel is that selection of 26" wheels is pretty slim these days.
Attached Images
IMG_20180309_175055.jpg (848.1 KB, 184 views)
Old 03-09-18, 05:04 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

This is what mine looks like right now. There is noticeable wear but no bulging. I'll leave it for now until I can get to a bike shop.

The problem with replacing the wheel is that selection of 26" wheels is pretty slim these days.
There's still a pretty good selection of 26" replacement rims, though. If you don't currently have the ability to relace/build wheels, I highly recommend picking it up.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-09-18, 09:38 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3594 Post(s)
Liked 3,403 Times in 1,936 Posts
I have to admit, I am still riding wheels I built almost 40 years ago, and see no compelling reason to retire them. But the modern fashion of machined sidewalls may well reduce the life expectancy of a rim, so caveat emptor.
Old 03-09-18, 11:07 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
I would expect not nearly so big a deal. Sidewall would collapse on say a pavement break from lack of vertical structural strength, the tire might blow but I would expect the outer portion of the rim to not peel off as a long, jagged shard. There would be the danger of the tire coming off the rim, always a risk with clinchers and that outcome can be bad.

Ben
Says you. I had a piece of rim 10" long break off when a well-worn rim blew. This was on my recumbent so it was a long way from my leg, but if it happened on an upright at speed I can see a chunk of rim skewering a calf.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 03-10-18, 12:13 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
Says you. I had a piece of rim 10" long break off when a well-worn rim blew. This was on my recumbent so it was a long way from my leg, but if it happened on an upright at speed I can see a chunk of rim skewering a calf.
That was from the section of the rim holding the bead, though, right? I was inquiring about what might happen if the other part wore through first, marked crudely here as "A":

RUSA #7498
Old 03-10-18, 06:34 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
If you think it's worn out it probably is.
That's what I think too. My test is just to feel the brake track with my fingers. If I feel a noticeable concave feel I assume that rim is nearing it's end-of-life.

It's mid-March. This is the time of year that many of us are prepping our bikes for the nice riding season. If you are going to have to take a bike out of service for a wheel or rim replacement, now is a good time to do it.
Old 03-10-18, 08:05 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts

There's a decent selection of older model stuff. The real problem is that brake tracks vanished from MTB rims before 26" became obsolete.

High-end stuff is still available on closeout sale, and lower end stuff is still stocked as replacement parts.
Old 03-10-18, 08:17 AM
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master

Bikes: All City Cosmic Stallion, Salsa Colossal, Surly Preamble, 1985 Schwinn High Sierra x3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Ben
you can also check it with the tire deflated, then inflate the tire and check again to see how much the rim flexes. if it's too much for your taste, you can feel better about replacing it.
Old 03-10-18, 10:39 AM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

That was from the section of the rim holding the bead, though, right? I was inquiring about what might happen if the other part wore through first, marked crudely here as "A":

OK- that was not clear from your post.

However, the portion of the rim you've indicated gets much less stress than the portion above the inner "wall" of the rim. The outer portion is only supported on one side plus it must resist the outward pressure of the inflated tire. On mine, the rim tore apart just above the inner wall of a double-wall rim (Sun CR-18).

Old 03-10-18, 11:31 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
A mnt bike wheel at ~35 psi is less likely to fail dramatically

than a road wheel at ~100 psi.

The only rim failure that I've seem on the road was NBD but did result in hitch-hiking.

I say just ride it.
Old 03-10-18, 02:31 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
OK- that was not clear from your post.

However, the portion of the rim you've indicated gets much less stress than the portion above the inner "wall" of the rim. The outer portion is only supported on one side plus it must resist the outward pressure of the inflated tire. On mine, the rim tore apart just above the inner wall of a double-wall rim (Sun CR-18).
That's fair -- I had trouble verbalizing what I had in mind and should have just posted a picture from the get-go.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-11-18, 09:58 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

That's fair -- I had trouble verbalizing what I had in mind and should have just posted a picture from the get-go.
Pictures? You show me yours and I'll show you mine... ahem...

Old 03-12-18, 05:59 AM
NJgreyhead

Bikes: Frequently

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 131 Posts
Somewhere I read a recommendation to over-inflate the tube/tire (how much? dunno) and look for a rim bulge. If none, then air down to your preferred pressure and ride.
I've done this inadvertently, and was glad I saw the rim bulge on the workstand in my basement.

I like the straight-edge test too.