Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

I just ordered a set of Mavic Open Pro's - Will I regret it?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

I just ordered a set of Mavic Open Pro's - Will I regret it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-14, 10:31 AM
andrevautour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IthaDan
Why do you like them?

Serious question. Because they look cool? Because they ride like they're wooden? Why?

i like them because i was able to ride on them for over 4 years without any truing or any adjustments of any kind. i do not want to be messing around with wheels. i'm sure there are lots of rims that are better i just have not tried them yet, so i can't speak to any other rims at this point.

Originally Posted by gl98115
Flip them.
Originally Posted by Elvo
They are heavy and outdated
flip them and get what instead
Old 07-17-14, 11:34 AM
GromCake

Bikes: 2013 Bianchi Super Pista // 2013 Cinelli Experience // Kilo TT // '84 Trek 500 Series Porteur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes, excellent, op! ignore the many posts praising what is widely regarded as one of the best rims for all around use available, and focus on the one guy who said he's seen the spokes pull through the rim - which, as user bandera already established, is a completely normal thing for a rim to do after many many miles of use. if you're not going to listen to the answers people give you why did you make this thread in the first place?

ps: eyelets actually reduce the likelihood of spokes pulling through the rim by spreading out the tension over a wider surface area, they also make it easier to adjust spoke tension. the only con to using eyelets is increased weight, and that's clearly not an issue for the open pros.
Old 07-17-14, 12:17 PM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vledaD
Can you post pics of your Wabis? Im ready to pull the trigger on one of the 3 Wabis in the next couple months. Im looking at the Classic. The price is good, but im split between that and the Special. Do i really need lugs?
Classic

Classic now setup for commuting

RE (Wabi's geared frameset)

Old 07-17-14, 12:39 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
They're alright. I have a pair for FG use they do me well.
Old 07-17-14, 01:20 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
There's nothing wrong with open pro's; they're classics right alongside deep v's. I would just stick with them.
Old 07-17-14, 03:51 PM
91MF
i'll probably break it

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by europa
Click on 'Reply With Quote'
i dont understand. please be more detailed.
Old 07-17-14, 05:49 PM
jhess74
I'm usually cranky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 91MF
i dont understand. please be more detailed.
Click on "reply with quote", highlight and copy the words you want as your sig including the requisite html for a quote... do you really need this explained??
Old 07-17-14, 06:42 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by GromCake
yes, excellent, op! ignore the many posts praising what is widely regarded as one of the best rims for all around use available, and focus on the one guy who said he's seen the spokes pull through the rim - which, as user bandera already established, is a completely normal thing for a rim to do after many many miles of use. if you're not going to listen to the answers people give you why did you make this thread in the first place?

ps: eyelets actually reduce the likelihood of spokes pulling through the rim by spreading out the tension over a wider surface area, they also make it easier to adjust spoke tension. the only con to using eyelets is increased weight, and that's clearly not an issue for the open pros.
I've seen quite a few posts that say Open Pros aren't as good as they were in the "old days".

For instance, google site:bikeforums.net "open pro" crack eyelet with a time range of 2011 to 2014.

from the posts:
new open pros have serious issues. The newer rims will crack at the eyelets. This is a known issue, my local shop does not use them anymore because so many of them came back.
and
I have seen a number of Open Pro's (double eyelets) with spokes pulling through and these were not built under overly high tensions.
and
I've built a few MA3s. They seem rather soft, and I try to stay down around 100kgf driveside, where they seem more stable. Drive them too high and you're likely to have them constantly going out of true... install your tire and tube, hammer your wheel up a few hills, and how true is it now? And for the record, I see cracked Open Pros come through every month or two, the double eyelets ultimately don't work miracles.

Last edited by rm -rf; 07-17-14 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-17-14, 10:14 PM
Shotland
Banned.

Bikes: '04 Bianchi Pista, '14 All-City Thunderdome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have some built to philwoods. I'd say it's the best strength/weight ratio available.
Old 07-17-14, 10:33 PM
hockeyteeth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GromCake
...focus on the one guy who said he's seen the spokes pull through the rim - which, as user bandera already established, is a completely normal thing for a rim to do after many many miles of use.

Spokes pulling through a rim is hardly a "normal thing", you ******' ding-dong, regardless of miles used. Sidewall cracking from brake track wear is one thing, but spoke holes should not crack under normal circumstances. Besides, the rims I have seen this happen to were handbuilt with maybe 1,000-2,000 miles on them. Nevermind the numerous other complaints about their cracking as brought up by rm-rf.
Old 07-17-14, 11:14 PM
andrevautour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bbeasley
Classic

Classic now setup for commuting

RE (Wabi's geared frameset)

Nice looking bikes. How do you like those wheels on the RE? the I really like the look of that spoke configuration.
Old 07-18-14, 06:33 AM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by andrevautour
Nice looking bikes. How do you like those wheels on the RE? the I really like the look of that spoke configuration.
They've been bullet proof. I've got ~9500 miles on them and I weigh 195 lbs. All the components on the RE came of my Trek roadie, hence the Bontrager stuff.
Old 07-18-14, 07:04 AM
jr59

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by andrevautour
I am doing a new build with a Wabi classic frame and I wanted to try something different than my Velocity Deep V's this time, plus my Deep V's were orange, so I wanted something with a different, more subtle color for this build.

I liked the performance of the Deep V's, and I rode them for 4 years without any issues. I really like the look of the polished aluminum Deep V's, but I ended up getting a pair of Silver Open Pro's instead.

The first batch of reviews I read were pretty much positive, but I did read some people who have had issues with them going out of round, and I think some people mentioned cracking as well.

Has anyone had experience with these? I got them from Velomine built with formula hubs and 32h spokes.

Should I give these a try when they come or just put them on craiglist as new and flip them for as much as possible before they are "used" and less valuable?

Well, you already bought them so I would hope you are going to be pleased with them. I like mine, and have ridden open pros for tens of thousand of mies over the years.(not the same set).

Get them, take them to your local wheel builder to have the checked out, and spokes check for proper tension.

Go put them on your bike and ride the heck out of them!

Pretty simple!
Old 07-18-14, 11:15 PM
91MF
i'll probably break it

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jhess74
Click on "reply with quote", highlight and copy the words you want as your sig including the requisite html for a quote... do you really need this explained??
honestly tho do you?

you are so slow, sarcasm is rendered boring.

edit: im mean. ok scrod said sarcastically something to the effect of 'i always buy something then ask if i should buy it'

then i quoted him and asked how to quote. get it?
Old 07-19-14, 12:01 AM
hockeyteeth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
honestly tho do you?
How do I do? Thanks.
Old 07-19-14, 12:26 AM
Jared.
Uninformed Senior Member

Bikes: Dolan Pre Cursa, Cannondale R400

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

edit: im mean. ok scrod said sarcastically something to the effect of 'i always buy something then ask if i should buy it'

then i quoted him and asked how to quote. get it?
No, quote the original post and explain post by post please.
Old 07-19-14, 12:45 AM
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
open pros are awesome. i just built a set to 7400's earlier today.