Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Need bike advice for insane ride/race

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Need bike advice for insane ride/race

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-15, 10:42 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
China, Ti, for a NL company Van Nicholas - The Titanium Bike Company. Dutch company specializing in the design of role-specific and tailor-made Titanium frames, and hand-built bikes whip out that abundant credit card..
Old 05-02-15, 05:13 PM
BNB

Bikes: road, mtb, tandem, gravel, tt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Talked to my mechanic this AM who informed me of the price of a lightweight ti bike. Plus the extra 1-2 pounds for ti equivalent frame. He's been riding his specailized crux for 6 years without issue and takes it on some gnarly mtb trails. While a rarely crash it's not outside the realm of possibility. If I go with carbon (which is my thought of the hour) would definitely throw my fleshy self between the dirt and the bike!

Originally Posted by knobster
I think if you're thinking of Ti, you'd better get ready for sticker shock. About the most affordable Ti cross bike out there is the Bikes Direct Fantom Comp. Link Or if you want top of the line and something to fit you perfectly, go custom. I like Moots.
Originally Posted by Kopsis
As long as you keep the bike upright, you're no more likely to break a CF frame than Ti, Al, or steel. I know plenty of mountain bike and CX racers who ride/race carbon and have never broken a frame. Carbon is "weak" only in terms of crash-worthiness (where things directly impact the tubes), but no fame material is guaranteed to survive in those circumstances. Nothing wrong with going Ti, but do it because you like the looks/fit/ride of a specific frame, not because you think it will survive gravel better than something else. Ti is a tricky material for frame builders so make sure you can actually try out the frame you're considering. Under 20 lbs leaves lots of options -- even steel is still on the table.
Old 05-02-15, 07:00 PM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have a problem with carbon road bikes, but if I rode a carbon framed bike offroad, I'd not ride it if I went down. If I went down on my Moots, I'd look it over and continue on. I'm a little paranoid on carbon because if a frame, fork or handlebars fail, it's not going to be pretty. Most likely I'm overly paranoid but that's my business.
Old 05-03-15, 06:43 AM
91MF
i'll probably break it

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by knobster
I don't have a problem with carbon road bikes, but if I rode a carbon framed bike offroad, I'd not ride it if I went down. If I went down on my Moots, I'd look it over and continue on. I'm a little paranoid on carbon because if a frame, fork or handlebars fail, it's not going to be pretty. Most likely I'm overly paranoid but that's my business.

you are paranoid.

i have a carbon ridley xfire cyclocross bike that has been crashed badly many times. my friend broke his collarbone on it. i have scratches and nicks right down to the raw carbon. i weigh 82kg and am rough on the bike. its been treated like a childs BMX for the past three years and the only creaks are from the PFBB30 that were there the day i got the bike.

all the questioning of materials in these threads is hilarious. get a bike and ride it. if it breaks, you need a new one. if it doesn't, you will justify the purchase of a new one and sell the old one anyways. meh n+1-1+1+infinity forever.
Old 05-03-15, 06:52 AM
91MF
i'll probably break it

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
also to the OP: sounds like you can get away with a road bike with long reach and a fatter tire. a nice cannondale synapse(or something similar) can be sourced on your local craigslist for well under $1000. a wide cassette and you would be good i think.
Old 05-03-15, 09:25 AM
BNB

Bikes: road, mtb, tandem, gravel, tt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
ya, but which one?

Originally Posted by 91MF
get a bike and ride it. if it breaks, you need a new one.
don't be bursting my n+1 bubble! : )

Originally Posted by 91MF
also to the OP: sounds like you can get away with a road bike with long reach and a fatter tire. a nice cannondale synapse(or something similar) can be sourced on your local craigslist for well under $1000. a wide cassette and you would be good i think.