Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Smoke from Canadian wildfires

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-23, 09:15 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts

Here in southern coastal New England, and the northeast in general, weather systems have been bringing the smoke from the Canadian wildfires into our area. It’s caused the atmosphere to be rather hazy…enough that you can actually smell the smoke. I’ve been riding in it the past few days…but there are actually air quality alerts, and I’m thinking I may wait until things clear up, or ride on the trainer indoors (air conditioned). Sports leagues from youth up to professional have been postponing events. Just wondering how others in areas affected by the smoke are handling it. — Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 06-08-23, 09:25 AM
Just Mark

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Cannondale Synopse 105 SE, 2015 Cannondale Quick 5, 2019 Specialized Fatboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 26 Posts
I rode last Tuesday before I was aware of the air Quality issue. My throat was ragged out by the end of my ride and is still scratchy today. 2 days without riding drove me here for the first time in a long time. Fingers crossed conditions improve soon.

Last edited by Just Mark; 06-08-23 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-08-23, 09:36 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
I rode Tues., but it wasn’t bad as winds and rain were in the area. Yesterday and today are pretty bad and I’m not even going outside,
Old 06-08-23, 10:02 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Last summer in the PNW we had bad smoke from Canadian wildfires from British Columbia. Our air quality was rated as Hazardous as a result. I tried one day riding in it at a low level of exertion and didn’t feel all that bad however scientists from the U of Washington warned that inhaling the very fine particulate from the smoke was extremely bad for those with underlying health conditions. I then switched to riding the trainer indoors for three weeks. It was a drag because it was sunny, but my long tern health won out.

Old 06-08-23, 10:09 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
You boys need to come to California to get in shape.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 06-08-23, 10:19 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
There is an air quality alert here, outside of Louisville, KY. But it doesn't seem bad to me. Can't see clouds now-don't know it the sky is clear or if haze is obscuring them. I was able to see a few clouds against a blue sky earlier this morning. Pics I've seen from the northeast on the news has me happy to be here now--used to live outside of Baltimore.
Old 06-08-23, 10:20 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
The thread title makes me think of this:

Likes For seypat:
Old 06-08-23, 11:05 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,444 Times in 993 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
You boys need to come to California to get in shape.
So true! The pictures I'm seeing from back east look like quite the normal situation when we have wildfires in the surrounding mountain forests and low-altitude brush country. Funny, but they don't get the national attention from the New York-focused media giants when it happens out west as when its directly affecting the NYC area. With the plentiful rains this winter leading to a bumper crop of grasses in the foothills I'm expecting some seriously epic wildfires here in Southern California this summer through fall. We'll all be off the bicycles for a few days, maybe more than a week at a time.
Old 06-08-23, 11:12 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Living in the SF Bay Area, when there is wildfire smoke around, I make use of Purple Air. I can see what the air will be like along my preferred routes. I use it with the LRAPA setting - it's not necessarily "right", but you should always use the SAME settings so your readings are consistent. Initially, I decided not to ride if it was >100, but eventually I relaxed that, and I will ride if AQI did not exceed 150 anywhere on my route, and doing it that way I have never experienced any particular symptoms. When it's higher than that, I ride the trainer. Indeed, the 2020 wildfire season is why I signed up for Zwift!

I don't have any underlying lung issues, though, and if you do, you might be more cautious. Oh, and we're talking no more than an hour or so of riding, and not going so hard that I was panting. Basically Z1/Z2.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-08-23, 11:12 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,570 Times in 7,335 Posts
The AQI in Philadelphia got to 450 or so yesterday. It's better this afternoon but supposed to get worse again tonight. MLP postponed the Philles-Tigers game yesterday. No word yet on whether it will be played tonight. Lots of peole walking around in masks yesterday. It was like COVID 2.0.

The sun at about 5 pm yesterday afternoon.

Old 06-08-23, 11:18 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by skidder
So true! The pictures I'm seeing from back east look like quite the normal situation when we have wildfires in the surrounding mountain forests and low-altitude brush country. Funny, but they don't get the national attention from the New York-focused media giants when it happens out west as when its directly affecting the NYC area. With the plentiful rains this winter leading to a bumper crop of grasses in the foothills I'm expecting some seriously epic wildfires here in Southern California this summer through fall. We'll all be off the bicycles for a few days, maybe more than a week at a time.
You're joking, right? I am in Philly. I plenty of CA wildfire news every year. It's a favorite of GMA. And since the station I watch for local news is an ABC affiliate, I see it there, too. You folks need to rake your forests.
Old 06-08-23, 11:18 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
The numbers were 480+ at my place on the Eastern Shore MD this AM...

It's now dropped into the 200+ range. My bike is loaded up and I will be riding the C&D canal this evening, or at least until I tip over.
Old 06-08-23, 11:22 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by seypat
The thread title makes me think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCWVuCCWqzQ
Blast from the past. Had totally forgotten about that tune.
Old 06-08-23, 12:29 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
It is better for your health to stay indoors. I spent months indoors with the fires in Oregon and California. Wearing a N-95 mask is a good idea when you do have to go outdoors. The smoke contains toxic chemicals and so it is more of a concern than normal smog from motor vehicle exhaust.

Might as well stock up on the N-95 masks as wildfires in North America are going to be an ongoing problem for at least the next decade. I use these the 3M and they make a good air seal to avoid fogging glasses.They provide the best air seal of any mask I have used over the years. At $12 for 20 masks they are quite affordable and I get at least 10 days use out of a mask.

3M 9205+ Aura Particulate N95 Respirator, Flat Fold Non-Valved Disposable Respirator

Old 06-08-23, 02:42 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
South coastal Delaware at about 9 this morning.

Wind picked up and cleared a bit before storm front came through. Post rain, clearer than it has been for days.
Old 06-08-23, 07:11 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
In eastern upstate NY we've had AQI readings in 150 to 200 range for a few days - I could clearly see the haze in the air between our house and other homes about 200 yards away. Central NY was over 400 at times! I spent a few hours outdoors each day doing chores, but nothing strenuous.

Today started similarly, but we got lucky and things cleared out around noon - no visible haze this afternoon and AQI dropped to around 60. Yay! Took a ride into town. 7 days ago I didn't even know what AQI was!

I heard an interesting AQI equivalency today - the claim was that spending the day outdoors with a 150 AQI is the equivalent of smoking 7 cigarettes. I'll ride up 100 AQI - maybe not if higher.

The fires in Quebec and Nova Scotia could be roaring off and on all summer, so I may have more smoking in my future.
Old 06-08-23, 07:40 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Tuesday and Wednesday road the mountain bike in the Waldorf MD area. Wednesday I was having second thoughts as the haze was denser. No smoke smell. Got to the park in the woods and the air was clearer. Even better on the trails. The trees seem to be filtering the smoke. Today was worse. Could smell the smoke after mid morning.
Old 06-08-23, 09:10 PM
SurferRosa
seńor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
First, we have to understand if this is purposeful. Is it like Chinese hacking? Russian election tampering? Cuban food? I don't know what these Canadians have against us other than our overall winning.
Old 06-09-23, 10:38 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
There are lightening fires every darn year in Canada..... and they own all those super scoopers that are constantly working because few roads to get in there.
Not set on purpose. It's just the weather has been so weird it's making the smoke come to USA.
Old 06-09-23, 10:40 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
First, we have to understand if this is purposeful. Is it like Chinese hacking? Russian election tampering? Cuban food? I don't know what these Canadians have against us other than our overall winning.
I have had Cuban food fairly frequently since that Cuban place opened up on El Camino Real, but AFAICT it doesn't correlate with AQI.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-09-23, 10:42 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I've heard living in Canada describes as like living upstairs from a loud, obnoxious, occasionally insane neighbor. Perhaps the strain made them snap finally?

Old 06-09-23, 11:03 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
Here in NYC on Friday, after a few days of red sun and orange skies... "It's great: we're finally getting fresh air from Detroit." Said no one ever before...
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 06-09-23, 07:27 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
You're joking, right? I am in Philly. I plenty of CA wildfire news every year. It's a favorite of GMA. And since the station I watch for local news is an ABC affiliate, I see it there, too. You folks need to rake your forests.
Or do prescribed burns, or harvest the fuel for housing. I won’t hold my breath…
Old 06-09-23, 07:35 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Great interview for those interested.

My mom was a wild land firefighter and said the interview really brought back memories.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000424320052
Old 06-10-23, 11:37 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
I normally lead a club ride on Wednesday nights, but cancelled it this last Wednesday due to the air quality alert. The smoke had come all the way to upstate SC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.