Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek 2.3 vs Cannondale CAAD 10

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-12, 10:32 AM
Trueblue3044

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I'm looking to buy a road bike. I'm looking to do a few charity rides, group rides, and eventually some racing. I know the CAAD 10 is a better frame for racing, but why? And how much better is it than the 2.3? Is the 2.3 even good to race on?
Old 06-05-12, 10:50 AM
renton
Come on you Spurs!

Bikes: Trek 2.1, BMC Roadracer SL01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2.3 has the H2 geometry which should be OK for racing. I have a 2.1 with H3 geometry and it doesn't handle that well, especially cornering.
CAAD 10 from what I read it's a class above 2.1 and even 2.3.
Old 06-05-12, 10:51 AM
Hapsmo911

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Ride them both, if you cant decide based on that, get the Caad
Old 06-05-12, 11:29 AM
tkm

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 19 Posts
Trek seemingly gave up making good aluminum frames a few years back. At one time, they had three different grades of aluminum. Right now, they only seem to offer the "middle" grade on pretty much everything they make now (in Al).

At least on the 2 series bikes they are somewhat copying the Madone geometry, so it should handle pretty well. And, the 2.3 comes with full 105 I believe, so the groupset is solid.

But yeah, ride both and see what you like. Nothing wrong with either bike so any choice will be ok.
Old 06-05-12, 03:01 PM
ArchEtech

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
IMO Cannondale makes the best Aluminum frames. The base CADD is a really nice bike. I rode their mountain bikes and hybrids for years, but decided to jump to carbon when I got into road bikes. I have been on the CADD with full 105 (whichever that is) and it was cheaper and hands down way better than any aluminum trek, even nicer riding than alumin bikes with carbon rears I've ridden. I'm not an expert, but the trek aluminum models really seem like budget department store bikes and are way over priced. I owned a carbon Madone, and this was not the case - their carbon frames are top notch even if slightly higher priced.
Old 06-05-12, 05:21 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
The CAAd is a LOT better than my 3.1 MAdone (H2). Lighter, quicker, faster, more stabil. If not for more vibration in the handlebars than my Project 1 (only noticeable on long rides, 60 miles+), the CAAd would be it's equal. imho
Old 06-05-12, 08:24 PM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Buy the June issue of the Road Bike Action magazine.

It has a cover article comparing those 2 bikes. (They rate the CAAD above the Trek.)

Read it for an informed opinion - but but buy the one that feels the best - for you.

Old 06-06-12, 08:22 AM
Trueblue3044

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys. And the reason I'm asking is because idk if the CAAD 10 is even available. Would the 2.3 be a good substitute? Or would a CAAD 8 with 105 be a better option?
Old 06-06-12, 12:27 PM
Golfster

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm quite happy with my carbon Trek Madone, but if I were buying an aluminum bike, I would go with the CAAD10.
Old 06-06-12, 12:29 PM
Elduderino2412
Tour De French Fries

Bikes: 2010 Cervelo R3 SL & 2013 Airborne Goblin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After much research i bought the CAAD10, and I love it. Only thing i did wrong was get 105 instead of SRAM rival.
Trek aluminum isn't very good. Only thing that is close to CAAD for the money is specialized Allez, but i liked the CAAD much better
Old 06-06-12, 02:23 PM
DGlenday

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trueblue3044
...would a CAAD 8 with 105 be a better option?
Depends on what kind of riding you'll be doing.

The CAAD 10 has racing geometry, while the CAAD 8 has a more relaxed geometry.

For spirited riding, I'd go with the CAAD 10 - and it would be worth the effort to hunt one down.

For touring - as much as I like Cannondale's products - I'd go with a Giant Defy or a Specialized Roubaix rather than a CAAD 8.

'Course, YMMV...
Old 06-06-12, 08:13 PM
Hapsmo911

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Trueblue3044
Thanks guys. And the reason I'm asking is because idk if the CAAD 10 is even available. Would the 2.3 be a good substitute? Or would a CAAD 8 with 105 be a better option?
SuperSix can be had for not much more if not nothing extra. Another option. if they are out of Caads in your size.
Old 06-07-12, 02:38 PM
tkm

Liked 51 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by DGlenday
Buy the June issue of the Road Bike Action magazine.

It has a cover article comparing those 2 bikes. (They rate the CAAD above the Trek.)

Read it for an informed opinion - but but buy the one that feels the best - for you.
Frankly, that doesn't surprise me. You're comparing Trek's cheapest carbon bike vs. one of the best AL frames still made today. I think the general consensus on here is that good AL is better than cheap carbon every day of the week.
Old 06-07-12, 03:01 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
OK, please read this in the light I mean it. I'm not doubting nor debating. I am truly curious. I've seen several posts lately, and not just in this thread, that puts down TREK aluminum, though I have yet to see any reason other than "CAAD is way better" or "TREK aluminum sucks". I haven't seen anything like "I rode both and the TREK beat me up so much worse", "TREK aluminum has a long documented track record of cracking". Is their aluminum line truly inferior? If so, why? Or, is it simply the reputation the CAAD on the 41?

Originally Posted by renton
.....CAAD 10 from what I read it's a class above 2.1 and even 2.3.
The disclaimer is noted. Thank you.

Originally Posted by tkm
Trek seemingly gave up making good aluminum frames a few years back. At one time, they had three different grades of aluminum. Right now, they only seem to offer the "middle" grade on pretty much everything they make now (in Al).
How many grades does Cannondale offer?

Originally Posted by ArchEtech
IMO Cannondale makes the best Aluminum frames. .....I have been on the CADD with full 105 (whichever that is) and it was cheaper and hands down way better than any aluminum trek.... I'm not an expert, but the trek aluminum models really seem like budget department store bikes and are way over priced.
"IMO" noted.

Generally speaking, not about these specific posts:

We all make generalizations.....but what are they based on?

Disclaimer - I know the CAAD has a great reputation and I would have no issues buying one if that was what I was interested in. I'm truly just curious why TREK's aluminum has a bad reputation, or at least considered inferior to many.
Old 06-07-12, 03:17 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
OK, please read this in the light I mean it. I'm not doubting nor debating. I am truly curious. I've seen several posts lately, and not just in this thread, that puts down TREK aluminum, though I have yet to see any reason other than "CAAD is way better" or "TREK aluminum sucks". I haven't seen anything like "I rode both and the TREK beat me up so much worse", "TREK aluminum has a long documented track record of cracking". Is their aluminum line truly inferior? If so, why? Or, is it simply the reputation the CAAD on the 41?
The first bike I test rode when I was looking to get a road bike was the 2.3. The shop that carries it is really nice and they spent a good 30 minutes getting me fit and it was just a test ride. My recent riding experience was on a Trek full suspension mtb and the 2.3 was very disappointing. It was a harsh ride and I found the bars to be constantly vibrating. I figured that was just how road bikes were when compared to a cushy full suspension mtb. Then I rode a Secteur and realized that not all bike were like the 2.3. I also rode a caad9. The secteur might have been slightly more forgiving than the caad but I found the caad to be the most fun and the least pain.
Old 06-07-12, 05:53 PM
dwellman
Godbotherer

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR300 (full SRAM Apex) 1996 Cannondale R800 (Full SRAM Rival), 1997 Cannondale R200 (Shimano Tiagra), 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10-5, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1 (SRAM Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Based on price alone: CAAD10.

Personally I'll take the Cannondale over the Trek 100 times out of 100. The 2.3 should be slightly more "comfortable" out of the box; however, the CAAD 10 should feel more nimble, responsive-- aggressive. That's it. it's a more "aggressive" ride. None of my LBSs seem to sell new Treks anymore. Cannondale, Raleigh, Specialized, Cervelo is basically it at the moment.
Old 06-07-12, 06:02 PM
pdxtex
Portland, OR, USA

Bikes: kona paddywagon, trek 2.1, lemond nevada city, gt zrx

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
hating on trek is easy for alot of people, and for most i bet it just because they are the big american bike company. well who cares?? apparently, fredish hipsters who think trek sucks. hey, at least its still an american company. and to say that cannondale is the absolute master of aluminum frames is goofy. maybe the caad 10 has a bit more of an agressive stance but trek has been in the aluminum game nearly as long as they have. ive been riding their bikes in some form or another for more then 20 years and have always been happy with them. so that being said, its probably apples and oranges when you get to a bike of this level. to say one 2000 bike is infinitely better then another is probably just brand allegiance. ride them both and see which one you like. ta dah....
Old 06-07-12, 06:08 PM
Kojie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pdxtex
hating on trek is easy for alot of people, and for most i bet it just because they are the big american bike company. well who cares?? apparently, fredish hipsters who think trek sucks. hey, at least its still an american company. and to say that cannondale is the absolute master of aluminum frames is goofy. maybe the caad 10 has a bit more of an agressive stance but trek has been in the aluminum game nearly as long as they have. ive been riding their bikes in some form or another for more then 20 years and have always been happy with them. so that being said, its probably apples and oranges when you get to a bike of this level. to say one 2000 bike is infinitely better then another is probably just brand allegiance. ride them both and see which one you like. ta dah....
^^ this. I wonder how many here have tested both
Old 06-07-12, 07:07 PM
DGlenday

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
..hating on trek is easy for alot of people, and for most i bet it just because they are the big american bike company. well who cares?? apparently, fredish hipsters who think trek sucks. hey, at least its still an american company.
Educate yourself: Cannondale is also American!

...ride them both and see which one you like.
Originally Posted by Kojie
^^ this. I wonder how many here have tested both
I did.

And so did the editors of that magazine I described in post no. 7 (above). And as much as the blowhards in the 41 may criticize the magazine, I'll bet that the editors of that rag know a f***ing lot more than anyone here.

ive been riding their bikes in some form or another for more then 20 years and have always been happy with them
Oh, I see - you're pissed that everyone doesn't like your favorite bike. Have YOU ridden both?

Please re-read the thread. No one is "hating on Trek", as you put it. I'll summarize the thread for you: People (including me) are simply saying that 'the CAAD appears to be better, but the OP should ride both'.

Last edited by DGlenday; 06-07-12 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-07-12, 07:22 PM
Igo

Bikes: Giant Defy 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe

The disclaimer is noted. Thank you.

How many grades does Cannondale offer?

"IMO" noted.

Generally speaking, not about these specific posts:

We all make generalizations.....but what are they based on?

Disclaimer - I know the CAAD has a great reputation and I would have no issues buying one if that was what I was interested in. I'm truly just curious why TREK's aluminum has a bad reputation, or at least considered inferior to many.
Actually, Treks 1 series has the lesser aluminum frame. The 2 series is quite fine
Old 06-07-12, 07:39 PM
Karcas

Bikes: 2012 CAAD10 4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Educate yourself: Cannondale is also American!
Actually it is a Canadian company. It was bought out by Dorel https://www.dorel.com/product.htm. Click the link and look at the Recreational/Leisure section, it mentions them buying Cannondale in 2008. Click the contact us link and it will give their address in Canada.
Old 06-07-12, 09:17 PM
DGlenday

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Karcas
Actually it is a Canadian company. It was bought out by Dorel https://www.dorel.com/product.htm. Click the link and look at the Recreational/Leisure section, it mentions them buying Cannondale in 2008. Click the contact us link and it will give their address in Canada.
It is an American company owned by Canadians.
Old 06-07-12, 11:09 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Caad10 is awesome.
Old 06-07-12, 11:21 PM
Dilberto

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
CAAD 10 can easily be built to crazy-light, sub UCI weights too. Cannondale knows their aluminum tubing, better than many people know Carbon. It's not only the 41's own favorite....but it's the best bang for your buck bike around, hands-down.
Old 06-07-12, 11:43 PM
Karcas

Bikes: 2012 CAAD10 4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is an American company owned by Canadians.
It was an American company that got bought out by Canadians.

Can't have something owned by a Canadian company, built in Taiwan, and call it American. They don't say handmade in the usa anymore for a reason.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.