Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How many of you have not crashed

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How many of you have not crashed

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-12, 05:37 AM
STP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have never crashed on the road.

I have almost crashed many times on the road (crits, road races, wet streets, sand, shoulders, etc)

I have crashed many times on my mountain bike.
Old 06-07-12, 06:33 AM
EdIsMe

Bikes: 2011 Neuvation FC100, 2013 Mercier Kilo TT Pro, 1984 Peugeot SV-L

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had a few falls and mishaps on the road bike.

Failing to unclip
Ran off the road a few times (but remained upright)
I was "in" a crash during a race... somehow managed to make it out unscathed
I had one incident when I was stopped at a stop sign and when I clipped back in to begin accelerating, my chain jumped off the front, caught the front derailleur, and seized. I was still accelerating at this point so both shoes unclipped and I was thrown off the bike... or rather... the bike was thrown off me. I landed on my feet and watched my bike flip through the air across the street. Only damage was a cracked seatpost, slight scrape on the saddle, and about a 4" superficial gash on my shin (from the chain).
I've crossed tires a few times, once in a race - never crashed due to it - definitely scary though
I slid out in the rain once... but it just happened to be super slick tarmac and I was only going about 5 mph.
I crashed once on my fixie (hit a piece of gravel with the front tire while turning and dumped) - minor road rash and torn handlebar tape

All-in-all, lots of incidents... almost no record of injury
Old 06-07-12, 06:47 AM
opie

Bikes: 2012 Venge, 2011 Transition, Surly Troll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by simonaway427
[jinx]I refuse to answer this question[/jinx]
Ditto for the road bike

Crashed the Mtn Bike, Motorcycle and everything else with two wheels so the road bike is coming. Hopefully not soon
Old 06-07-12, 06:55 AM
Ndw76

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Up to a few weeks ago I would have said that in seven months of riding I had not crashed.
Old 06-07-12, 06:55 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Only one, and it was three years ago, well into my cycling timeline. It was a rabbit that caused it, and I woke up neighbors with a cloud of profanity that may still be lingering over the region somewhere.

If the flat tire demons are Orcs, then the crash demon is a Balrog. Answer carefully in here my friends.
Old 06-07-12, 08:31 AM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Only did one FDGB which doesn't qualify as a crash. Crashed 3 times on horseback however.
Old 06-07-12, 08:39 AM
AMFJ

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
NOt answering for road bike.

I could crash on my mountain bike just by walking near it in my living room.
Old 06-07-12, 08:40 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
I have crashed twice.

Once was in a group and the guy in front of me and to my right made a sudden slowing and left turn across my front wheel. We were going slow. I had a sore rib for a few weeks and that was about all.

The second was on a commute at dusk. My headlight illuminated an asphalt gray metal rack of some sort directly in front of me. I was going too fast to swerve around it (it was about 4-5' long across my path) and I was on my heavy bike with panniers and junk - too heavy to attempt a bunny hop. I hit the brakes and tried to scrub as much speed as possible. The front tire went up onto the rack (thankfully I was using both brakes ) and it slowly went out from under me as it was no longer in contact with the road. I went down and rolled down the road a bit, got up and thankfully, everything was fine with me and the bike. In both crashes I don't remember unclipping, but I came right out of the pedals with no issues.
Old 06-07-12, 09:20 AM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What, you mean today? Not even once.
Old 06-07-12, 09:35 AM
ArchEtech

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Crashed? Not really. Bit it, fallen off, jumped off - ya - particularly off road. I fell 4 times switching to a cyclocross bike and eggbeaters in 2 days. I was also; however, riding trails and more agressively. Prior to this I never had an issue with clipping in and out, and only jumped off once after a 700x23 tires got caught between pavement and grass. Racing? I bet crashing is envitable, which is why I have no interest in it.
Old 06-07-12, 12:17 PM
Trailblazer3

Bikes: 2013 Cervelo R3; 2011 Pinarello FP2; 2010 Trek 1.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never had the traditional clip-in/off crashes so many of us experience, but i did just have my first crash 7 weeks to the day. It was my own dumb fault too; I should have had more sense/awareness in my head. Early morning training ride (it was my last ride before a race to boot), it had rained the night before, and a wet metal bridge. The back tire gave out as soon as it hit the bridge. I had no chance as I was doing about 20mph. Shattered my 5th metacarpal (my pinky got caught in the bridge and basically sheared itself), 7 stitches in my chin, sprained thumb, and a chipped tooth. Amazingly, the only thing the bike needed was new tape and a rear skewer. Everything else was fine. Just got the clearance from the doc to resume light outdoor riding, as the tendons and my muscles in that hand are still very weak/stiff. Therpist figures at least 2 more weeks of therapy, as my hand is only about 30% of my opposite, non-dominant hand. Going to take a while to get back to where I was physically pre-injury, but I'm just happy it wasn't any worse than it was. I always figured a crash was inevitible, especially when I decided to get into racing; its just the nature of the beast. Just assumed it would be in the race, not the training ride before it.
Old 06-07-12, 12:27 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Went down on the MTB once. I'd been cycling through fields and along MUPs, going through frozen puddles and hearing the snow and icy puddles crack under the wheels. It was all pretty neat... but then I came to a point where I wanted to slow down and suddenly realised the two wheels were going in different directions. So I put a foot down, which didn't help. Then I tried to stop the bike falling over using my shoulder and head as braces.

Slight scuffing to the bike, had to reposition the chain as it had skipped, but aside from that it did more damage to my ego than to the bike.
Old 06-07-12, 01:22 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I used to ride A LOT in high school. A friend and I would ride almost every day through the summer. We really weren't compatible riding partners, though. I was the stronger of the two, so he always wanted to draft me. I was the more conservative rider and stopped for red lights (and yes, I called out "stopping"). He liked to run push the limits of a stale yellow and ride through them. After being hit by him one too many times, I insisted that either he stop for reds or lead. One or the other. The guy who stops should NOT be leading the guy who doesn't! Probably got hit by him 10 times or so.
Old 06-07-12, 01:31 PM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dude, its a bike. i crashed my first bike when I was like 4 years old.
Old 06-07-12, 01:42 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by rangerdavid
dude, its a bike. i crashed my first bike when I was like 4 years old.
This.
Old 06-07-12, 01:54 PM
Savagewolf
KingoftheMountain wannabe

Bikes: V.O. Pass Hunter & Specialized Hardrock

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nope, I've never crashed if you consider a few exceptions: 1-wrecking as a kid trying to learn to ride a bike, 2-wrecking as a kid doing crazy dirt jumps on a bmx, 3-Getting hit by a car on the rear wheel that spun the bike around but I was still able to hop off before falling.

Other than that, I've been pretty blessed. I'm lucky enough and skilled enough with the bike (so far) that I've avoided any crashes. I've seen my fair share of them, but haven't been part of them.