Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New to the forum, Need help with decision on upgrading or buying new

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-12, 07:14 PM
csd4682

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, so 6 months ago I decided I wanted to buy a road bike and get into biking. I did not want to spend a ton of money because I was worried I would not like it and the bike would end up in storage. I ended up getting a 2011 fuji roubaix 3.0 for 600.00 at performance. For those that don't know the specs it's an entry level bike and it is setup with the shimano sora group set. I have put A good number of miles on it in afew months and have fallen in love with road biking. Now that I am getting into this, I am finding that I hate the sora shifters and today I test rode a specialized secteur comp with 105 group set and I love it. I have been researching upgrading my bike to better components and all the lbs say that I am better off buying a new bike with all that I want already on it. I am a bit of a picky person when it comes to my toys. I really don't like having things that I feel are cheap. So my question for all the experienced ones here, is am I crazy for wanting a new bike when the one I have is less than 6 months old? The fuji is not terrible but I really see myself going on much longer rides and getting into the sport a lot more. My lbs has the 2011 specialized secteur comp on sale for just under 1400.00 and the bike felt great but I am struggling with taking the leap on such a purchase. I am sure I could sell the fuji to recoupe some of my money but certainly not all. So I guess my other question is, what do you guys think of the specialized secteur and anyone have any other recommendations or suggestions for my situation? Thanks. Loving this website so far. I had no idea I would like cycling so much. I am hoping to get strong enough to go on some rides with the local club soon.
Old 06-06-12, 07:19 PM
fishymamba

Bikes: CAAD9-6, 13' Dawes Haymaker 1500

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Get a new bike, no point of getting good components for a "cheap" bike.

For $1400 I recommend a Cannondale CAAD 10(you can probably get a 105 equipped one for a tiny bit above 1400)
or a Specialized Allez.

That Secteur seems a bit over priced to me.
Old 06-06-12, 07:49 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome To Bike Forums, CSD!

You already have a "new" bicycle. So the Secteur impressed you with it's 105 Gruppo. Big deal! Just invest in a few parts of the 105 drivetrain. Install your components and call it a day! End of story! Your Fuji has a great frame. Why would you buy a brand new aluminum frame road bike, when you already have one?

Now if you wanted to invest a brand new road bike of steel or carbon, I would support your N+1 venture. Perhaps, even if you were to buy a brand new hybrid or MTB, I could even support that venture, as well. However, replacing a quality aluminum framed road bike, with another quality aluminum framed road bike, just doesn't make too much sense to me. The only thing causing your bike to be considered as an entry level road bike, are primarily it's components.

Well that's besides that fact that many road cyclists are converting over to carbon...

Keep your brand new bike and upgrade the drivetrain!

PS.

Join a bicycle co-op (if one is nearby). Purchase your components and install them at the co-op, under the watchful eyes of seasoned veteran bicycle mechanics. You only spent $600 for you intial investment. It won't cost you another $600, for you to get your bike upgraded to your expected performance level. 

Last edited by SlimRider; 06-06-12 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-06-12, 07:49 PM
TriEngineer
Fitter of road/ironman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
constant refrain, new bike. New parts are expensive and not price efficient
Old 06-06-12, 08:03 PM
catonec 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider
You already have a "new" bicycle. Just invest in few parts of the 105 drivetrain. Now if you wanted a road bike of steel or carbon, I would support your N+1 venture. Keep your brand new bike and upgrade the drivetrain!
+1 no sense in replacing an alum frame w/ another alum frame but you may be impressed by the different feel of a carbon frame as much as the sora vs. 105. $1400 gets you these:
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...rtalpro_xi.htm $1295
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...e_x_carbon.htm $1295
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...arbon_6600.htm $1399
Old 06-06-12, 08:28 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I would say keep riding your bike. Wait till the 2013 bikes come out and your shop starts to discount the 2012 (or older) bikes. Get a new bike then. Sell your Fuji. This route will require the most patience and the least immediate gratification.

Or... you can buy a whole 105 group kit for about $500 from ribble. For higher level groups, I've seen 5 piece kits but I can't seem to locate one for 105 at the moment. Ultegra is about $800 if you want to get really fancy.
Old 06-07-12, 03:18 AM
csd4682

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses so far. I have priced al 105 group set at 600.00 and then discovered that I would also need the 105 crank set as mine is not compatable. This would put me over 1300 into my fuji and there would still be some pretty inferior parts like brakes and wheels.
Old 06-07-12, 07:12 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
As a for what it is worth, you test rode a bike with 105 and loved it. Test ride a SRAM Apex or Rival bike, which is less common than 105, but a very different feel. Then try Campy (if you can find one) and try Veloce or Centaur. Again a totally different feel.

Changing up bikes in the first 6 months of riding is not uncommon, as almost everyone gets the wrong first bike. I started out with a hybrid, upgraded every component, then built a new flat bar bike, then bought a 105 bike that I didn't like, and now have a Campy Centaur bike that I really like. It is a process.

And for $600, you can get a full 105, Apex, or Veloce / Centaur group from overseas, which would include crank and everything.
Old 06-07-12, 09:48 AM
ArchEtech

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You did the right thing by staying low budget for the first bike. Upgrading the whole bike is way more cost effective than upgrading parts on the lower end bikes. You should be able to trade in or sell your ACR for $300-400 pretty safely.

Test ride bikes for a while. New full carbon Fuji 105 equipped bikes are $1200-1600 brand new. Scheels here locally has them. No better buy for the $$$. I think performance bike sells them as well. They are fine bikes.

The Cannondale CADD bikes with 105 are kind of overpriced maybe but they are really really nice bikes.

I can't stand Sora, but lived with Tiagra for a while. Nashbar also has their own version of STI shifting groups and it's at least as nice as the Tiagra probably better. I thing the full upgrade Nashbar kit is $350 or so.