Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Moving From Running to Cycling

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Moving From Running to Cycling

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-17, 12:30 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Why so harsh? Also, we aren't gladiators, we're adults playing bikes.
But don't you sometimes feel like a gladiator? Like the twilight crit where you're basically in the pit, surrounded by crowds, everyone is beating each other up and you're just trying to survive
Old 06-09-17, 12:34 PM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Why so harsh? Also, we aren't gladiators, we're adults playing bikes.
Playing bikes in the murder capital of the Western world is going to be a wakeup call. If that is a needlessly harsh assessment I'd personally be surprised.

Funny you mention gladiators. My favorite U23 racer's social media profile pic is him dressed in a leather and metal gladiator costume he made.
Old 06-09-17, 02:28 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just remembered, my teammate is a former pro middle distance runner. He is very strong threshold and vo2max wise, good at time trialing, road race breakaways, and cyclocross, and an active danger to himself and others when required to turn his bicycle at speed. He'll be a cat 2 eventually (might already be at cross) but cat 1 or pro is out of the question. (To his credit he knows he sucks at cornering.)
Old 06-09-17, 02:38 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Originally Posted by miyata man
Welcome, don't forget to check the box denoting what kind of pillow you need us to provide. You'd be surprised how many people miss that one. If there is anything other than providing for your adult life in a manner directly following the parental model so you can focus on being you, say the word. Just so long as you understand we don't issue a stipend.
Old 06-09-17, 02:44 PM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@TheKillerPenguin, as near I came to crossing the line I think instilling a healthy amount of fear was at least part of the answer here. Head on a swivel, every car is a danger spot, aggressively assuming a defensive stance, fear that overrides being blind to developments forming in the environment around you.

I did two group rides this week. The one lead by someone with some palmares took near beginners, very strong ones with good athletic prowess, down three separate major county highways during rush hour, twice. When I politely voiced my concerns they told me it was fine since they had driven it in their car and then lapsed into comparing battle wounds from being hit by cars with a guy just coming back from nearly having his head severed by one. Suffice to say my sensitivities were pricked. Sometimes it's better to be thought an ******* than an enabler.
Old 06-09-17, 02:47 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
But don't you sometimes feel like a gladiator? Like the twilight crit where you're basically in the pit, surrounded by crowds, everyone is beating each other up and you're just trying to survive
Nah. Those moments are really, really cool though! Big crowds definitely turn the adrenaline up a few notches.
Old 06-09-17, 02:58 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

@TheKillerPenguin, as near I came to crossing the line I think instilling a healthy amount of fear was at least part of the answer here. Head on a swivel, every car is a danger spot, aggressively assuming a defensive stance, fear that overrides being blind to developments forming in the environment around you.

I did two group rides this week. The one lead by someone with some palmares took near beginners, very strong ones with good athletic prowess, down three separate major county highways during rush hour, twice. When I politely voiced my concerns they told me it was fine since they had driven it in their car and then lapsed into comparing battle wounds from being hit by cars with a guy just coming back from nearly having his head severed by one. Suffice to say my sensitivities were pricked. Sometimes it's better to be thought an ******* than an enabler.
I guess I see the OP's question as a valid one given he has experience training as a high level athlete in an aerobic sport. If he was a couch potato I would've answered differently. There's no reason not to be welcoming though, the cycling community is small enough and it's great to see someone enthusiastic to play bikes!

RE: danger...well, yeah I guess? It's not not dangerous, but it's not punching a Cobra in the face. Like most other things it's a calculated risk.
Old 06-09-17, 03:05 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bfish713
I'm hesitant because investing in cycling would basically mean giving up on my goals in running for good.
i don't think this is true. if youre not running anyway, i don't really see cycling hurting your running ambitions. if you are able to run again and like cycling enough at that point then there's also no loss because you found something better.

Running PRs are 1:48.0 for the 800 meters, 2:20 for the 1km and 4:01 for the mile, if that means anything at all.
faster than i ran (my PRs are from when i was 18), enough to indicate you have an engine and likely a high VO2max. i'm friends with 3 runners who recently transitioned to cycling (3:36 1500m runner with achilles problems, a 3:39 guy and a 1:48 guy who weren't quite at the level to pursue it post collegiately) who are domestic pro/PRT level cyclists now.

Now I'm back in the air cast and only allowed easy swimming and stationary bike riding. I am avoiding clipping in because pedals under my forefoot strains the calf and tendon just enough to prevent healing (or so we think).
Depends. When my achilles hurts from running it tends to hurt riding as well, but thats not the case for other runners I know.

In my year off from running I've spent plenty of time on the bike and figure if running doesn't work out cycling is the logical next outlet. Watching some race footage from this forum and others and reading about getting into road racing I think I'd really enjoy competitive racing.
Its very different from track. As a middle distance runner you're comfortable with throwing 'bows/getting boxed in and how physical it gets, but its another thing entirely to the feeling of being trapped at 30mph and where the cost of failure is a lot more than a spike wound. Besides the physical experience of it, the way races play out is entirely different than running. You need to actually try racing (more than once) before you can figure out if its for you.

The conundrum for me and why I'm posting is for me it would only be worth giving up on running if I could reach the same level (or at least believe I've got a shot to). So I was wondering what level is really the best to aim for? Translating my running races to cycling it seems I'd be somewhere between CAT 1 and pro ranks (not getting paid, but racing against pros and would probably be able get on team that provides housing, gear, and travel, but no salary). But maybe I'm misjudging how good I am at running or how many great cyclist there are in the USA.
Cat 1 - domestic pro seems correct if it were simply a matter of translating your running fitness, but as others have mentioned, theres much more to it than that. As I mentioned above, my friends with similar stories to yours were able to get to that level fairly quickly, though it took them a while to start finding success there. If the race is straight up a hill or completely flat in a straight line where you just need to follow wheels you probably have the engine to stick with the group, but you'll be hard pressed to find races like that. I ride with a lot of runners, and the flak we get about not being good at handling/descending is usually well deserved. If you grew up mountain biking or BMXing or something then you might be fine, but otherwise you're going to have to put in a lot of work to not crash out.

My other question is given some ability in running and the events I was best at, how does that translate to the road (or track) on a bike? What events might I be good at?
All the middle distance runners I know excel at 5 minute power (go figure?). The former 800m runner can also sprint, but not the milers. Cycling is strange - it seems like it would use the same muscles as running but it doesn't really. Even if you were a sit and kick miler (90% of milers think they have the best kick...) you might not have a kick in cycling.

Either way, you're going to be looking for selective, attritional 'fitness' contests. You may have been a 'speed' guy on the track, but you'll almost certainly find that even as a middle distance runner you will be doing better at the longer and harder races.

does a 24 year old like me have a reasonable shot at making it to the same level I was at in running?
Yes. (cf. Mike Woods, though highly improbably you'd find *that* level of success. Entirely likely you'd be able to make it to Cat 1)

Also is there any way to find out if you have real potential without dedicating a few full seasons to bike training and learning to race?
Yes and no. Almost every runner on my track club could bike for about 3 months and beat the majority of bike racers in a hill climb. Maybe not the same in your case if youve been inactive for a year. But that would be enough to indicate you have the fitness chops (not whether your could win *races*). You could then put in a single season and upgrade from 5->1 if you were good and dedicated (where dedication involves being willing to drive a race or two every weekend no matter how far away they were).

my TL;DR: fit athletes (be they runners, speed skaters, rowers, XC-skiiers) tend to be fit athletes and probably can achieve a similar level of performance fitness-wise across various disciples. however, cycling has a technique aspect (with handling/descending) that better translates from motocross/down hill skiing/etc. it also has a strategic/tactical aspect of race craft which is very different from the tactics youre used to in running, and which seems to come down to experience and instinct (or 'luck', just that some people tend to be good at being 'lucky'). you probably have one piece of the puzzle, its impossible to tell whether you have the others. though that being said, you can get decently far on just fitness and not being stupid, you just might not *excel*.
Old 06-09-17, 04:58 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Sarcasm, nah. Those soft words... hmm. Why don't you go out to a Chicago crit, about the only thing you would be racing anyways, and recite that whole life story to as many people as you can. I bet my response looks downright cuddly in comparison.
Probably not. Most people aren't as big an ******* in person as they can be on the internet.

Doubtful even you.
Old 06-09-17, 07:33 PM
bfish713

Bikes: Allez

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for the information and your thoughts. It seems the take aways are that I would have the fitness to compete with some of the top guys but would need to really learn how to race for a few years. I'm well aware that I won't be a natural race or bike handler and if I am going to race would invest some time in working on those skills.

@scheiboThanks for your answers you really hit everything. I've actually been training to stay in shape as I'm trying to get back from my achilles injury. Most of it has been on the bike as that's what is easiest and keeps me the most motivated. So I'm in good but not top shape and was riding on my road bike for a few months last summer/fall to actually be outside for my workouts. Also I get your point about giving cycling a go, got to try it to see if I like it. Besides bike handling was their anything else you and those ex-runners struggle with?

The only reason I haven't gone to some group rides and hopped in some races is because the doc said peddling in cleats was bad for my achilles and it might be hurting your recovery. I've also had a few procedures on the achilles that have put me in an air cast so I can't just go out and ride.

You guys have convinced that if when I get out of this boot (next week!) and as long as I am not cleared to run and clear to bike. I'll start getting ready to ride a few local races this summer. That way by the end of summer if I'm back running, I will have the info to decide which I like better, and if I'm not... well easy decision.

You guys for sure answered all my questions and addressed my concerns so thanks a bunch.
Old 06-09-17, 07:57 PM
bfish713

Bikes: Allez

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sarcasm, nah. Those soft words... hmm. Why don't you go out to a Chicago crit, about the only thing you would be racing anyways, and recite that whole life story to as many people as you can. I bet my response looks downright cuddly in comparison.

Long and short of it is you should go out and do your own reconnaissance. If you can stomach the crashes, the unflinching hardnosed attitudes, complete lack of whatever feel good corporate lifestyle spin you are on currently, and still feel like killing yourself on a trainer in a cramped basement all Winter only to realize how small your abilities on a bike really are. Then you should come back here and start asking the type of questions that will help level the playing field.

As it stands how do you think your current ploy could elicit anything more helpful than a string of "I dunno, worked for some in the past. Hard to say how many it didn't go so well for because you never hear from or about them now do you?"
I'm just curious what it is about what I said that makes you say any of this? I posted this here as opposed to telling random people because it just makes more sense.

I've been beaten over and over on the track but I still love that and spend my winters nights training for that. Idk what corporate lifestyle spin even means. And yes if I do end up in cycling I will come back and ask more questions.

As for the current ploy, it seems people shared the exact information I was looking for so thank you all for that.

You seem to be playing devils advocate to everyone so I want to know, besides the threat of crashes (which is readily apparent and quite scary) makes you not want to enable me? Also what is everyone else enabling me to do besides race? Tell me what I'm missing, maybe it'll be good motivation for me.
Old 06-09-17, 08:05 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
I've had about five friends that tore their Achilles. Terrible injury. In the more explosive sports, many never fully come back. Sounds like you never tore it, and haven't had surgery. As you know, it's part of the body that receives very poor circulation, which is why they are so susceptible to injury and hard to heal.
Old 06-09-17, 08:35 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Radish_legs
I've had about five friends that tore their Achilles.
remind me to never play basketball when you're around. seems like very bad luck.
Old 06-10-17, 05:56 AM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm just curious what it is about what I said that makes you say any of this? I posted this here as opposed to telling random people because it just makes more sense.
Irony?

I've been beaten over and over on the track but I still love that and spend my winters nights training for that. Idk what corporate lifestyle spin even means.
So the same ethos you misapplied running your body into ground will garner further positive results in cycling? More so if nobody directly questions anything before encouraging you to be a muscle bound nuisance.

You seem to be playing devils advocate to everyone so I want to know, besides the threat of crashes (which is readily apparent and quite scary) makes you not want to enable me? Also what is everyone else enabling me to do besides race? Tell me what I'm missing, maybe it'll be good motivation for me.
You seem to be afraid of there being some level of scrutiny and to a greater degree a lack of easy friendship resulting from your self written introduction letter. You tell me what is missing in your farce. Certainly not ease with false modesty about how you'll start at the bottom if there is no free pass. After declaring your world class status. Pick one, being treated like an experienced world class athlete and living up to a higher level of expectations or being a fledgling with an injured wing.
Old 06-10-17, 08:09 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cut the guy some slack, man. It's not like he came in saying "how long to I have to suffer the noobs before I earn my rightful place as a pro." He was looking for some advice, which he got. He'll race and figure out what it's about, or he won't, but it's not like he's naively marching into the battle of Antietam or something.
Old 06-10-17, 09:19 AM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
Cut the guy some slack, man. It's not like he came in saying "how long to I have to suffer the noobs before I earn my rightful place as a pro." He was looking for some advice, which he got. He'll race and figure out what it's about, or he won't, but it's not like he's naively marching into the battle of Antietam or something.
Yeah ... seems a but rough. Given the decline in this sport's participation, it'd benefit us all to avoid turning away folks with interest in racing.
Old 06-10-17, 10:38 AM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll stop at saying this place has gone too far in the other direction if, far from hazing or blatantly being derogatory for no apparent reason, applying some level of scrutiny has become unpopular. I see a deeper responsibility than risking offending inexperienced racers by not tolerating an endless stream of sophomoric thread starting etc. Respectfully, but not always buried so deeply in niceties the edge is hard to discern.
Old 06-10-17, 10:40 AM
rubiksoval

That way by the end of summer if I'm back running, I will have the info to decide which I like better, and if I'm not... well easy decision.
Duathlon?!

I jest, I jest.
Old 06-10-17, 10:42 AM
rubiksoval

I'll stop at saying this place has gone too far in the other direction if, far from hazing or blatantly being derogatory for no apparent reason, applying some level of scrutiny has become unpopular. I see a deeper responsibility than risking offending inexperienced racers by not tolerating an endless stream of sophomoric thread starting etc. Respectfully, but not always buried so deeply in niceties the edge is hard to discern.

Dude, you're the inexperienced racer around here. You've done, what, a couple of races? Yet you dole out over-aggressive "advice" and criticisms like you're some sort of expert. And you're not. All you do is read and pontificate endlessly.

That's what I don't get from you.
Old 06-10-17, 10:51 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
...swimming, cycling, running-- maybe dividing up you time training for triathlons might be the way to go--e.g., Sprint triathlons are short-distance triathlons, usually consisting of a 750-meter swim, 20k-bike ride and a 5k-run. This is half the distance of an Olympic triathlon and less than a quarter of the distance of the Ironman.
Old 06-10-17, 10:58 AM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Dude, you're the inexperienced racer around here. You've done, what, a couple of races? Yet you dole out over-aggressive "advice" and criticisms like you're some sort of expert. And you're not. All you do is read and pontificate endlessly.

That's what I don't get from you.
I'll stop at...
dot dot dot

PM if you feel so strongly.
Old 06-10-17, 11:01 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

OP is an experienced and talented aerobic athlete asking how guys that come from his sport tend to do in cycling. You have a lot of pent up energy, maybe you should use some of it actually racing
Old 06-10-17, 11:05 AM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
One of my buddies tore his achilles while I was rolling the gopro (basketball). He enjoyed showing his friends the moment of his injury.

I think this guy should be encouraged to race. It's a declining sport with little interest from the public. Personally I have encountered the "guardians of cycling" (in real life), and they are tiring. The good guys are the ones that encourage and mentor.

If he started a thread on his cycling journey, and gave periodic updates, including accounts of his races, I would be very interested in reading it.
Old 06-10-17, 11:14 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Radish_legs
"guardians of cycling"
I have no patience for those guys. They are almost always 50 year old cat 4s for some reason. Dunning-Kruger effect in action.
Old 06-10-17, 11:32 AM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
OP, some good answers here. I was a solid Juco middle distance & CC runner but a washout at D1, so not quite your talent level. Shin problems got the better of me, got on a bike and never looked back. Made it as far as Cat2.

The biggest difference physically, what took some time adjusting to, was the anaerobic aspect of cycling. Take the most tactical, surge filled race you ever ran and multiply that x 10. That's your average training Crit. You have to get ready for that.

In terms of competition/mentality the differences were even bigger. Running (for me at least) got to the point where you pretty much knew the outcome based on who was there. Because of the draft cycling involves a lot more rolls of the dice, position is everything. Draft also allows a mix of riders with very different abilities around you. Picture going into the last lap of a 10K with Usain Bolt sitting on your wheel! I found that chess game aspect of the sport quite appealing and a lot less monotonous than running bacame.

Good luck & have fun!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.