Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tire wipers

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-07, 12:35 PM
oldokie

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo, Cannondale SR500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tire wipers

Some time ago there were some forum comments about tire wipers (device to rub against tires to clean debris off while riding). At that time, I did some web browsing and found a shop in the UK selling them on their web site. However, I have not been able to find that site again. Tried a forum search on this subject as well as several Google searches with different terms but have not come up with anything.
Does anyone know of a source or an official brand name that might get a hit on Google.

I know they are seldom used any more and don't have many supporters any longer but I would like to check them out and form my own opinions.
Old 05-26-07, 01:16 PM
alanbikehouston

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I have not seen any since around 1975. They were very popular at that time, as many folks still used sewup tires that got flats just looking at a shard of glass. I'd bet they are sold on E-Bay, because everything made after about 1910 seems to be available on E-Bay.
Old 05-26-07, 06:37 PM
mike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a bike or two from the 70's that has the tire wipers. I think most people didn't know what they were, or had them adjusted wrong, so they faded into antique novelty.

Apparently, the idea was to adjust the tire wiper so that came as close as possible to the tire without actually touching it. If a shard of glass or debri caught on the tire, it was supposed to get knocked off by the tire wiper during the first rotation of the tire before the debri had a chance to get imbeded deep into the tire.

An old timer friend of mine said that the only problem with the tire wipers was that they did not work. Of course, I don't know if he had it adjusted properly. It seems that a certain amount of finess was required in adjustment and the tire had to be perfectly round and true.

Still, I like the idea. Even though I have a couple of bikes that have them, I never went to the trouble to make sure they are adjusted correctly, so they are mostly non-functional.
Old 05-26-07, 07:01 PM
Coyote!

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
When nicely adjusted they made a beautiful quiet pulsating bzzz-hiss in time to one's cadence. As I recall, you adjusted 'em by carefully distorting the wire bale.

They were the same era as the "Flick Stand", a wire device that made a rigid connection between the front tire and the down tube [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kick_stand]. . .made leaning bikes a little more stable.

Old 05-26-07, 07:10 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
They were called Tire Savers, and they aren't made any more.

You can make a low tech concept of them though by cutting a triangular flap out of a 2 liter bottle, punching a mounting hole and attaching them to the brake caliper or mount hole for the caliper if you have canti's. set it so it just scrapes your contact patch of the tire and it'll help remove debris before it damages the tire.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 05-26-07, 07:11 PM
mike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Coyote!
When nicely adjusted they made a beautiful quiet pulsating bzzz-hiss in time to one's cadence. As I recall, you adjusted 'em by carefully distorting the wire bale.

They were the same era as the "Flick Stand", a wire device that made a rigid connection between the front tire and the down tube [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kick_stand]. . .made leaning bikes a little more stable.
Hey, Coyote, what is a Flick Stand? I think I have one of those on an old bike, but I could never figure out what it was or how it worked. Any pics? The link you gave was a bad link. Sounds interesting.
Old 05-26-07, 07:41 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Tyre savers work only on a specific type of flat; those that are caused by glass and goatheads. They won't work for pinched-flats caused by hitting rocks or potholes. Nor will they work on internal issues like torn casings on the tyre or weak rim-strips.

I used to commute from Isla Vista (student-community next to UCSB) to downtown to work at Open Air Bike; an easy 13-mile ride. There was a bike-path that ran almost the entire distance, however, it often was overgrown with weeds and had ample glass and goatheads. For the first couple of months, I would never fail to get a flat at least once a week from the goatheads, even with the toughest tyre at the time, the kevlar-belted Specialized TouringS tyre. The thing is, glass and goatheads do not puncture your tire immediatly when you run them over. It requires many revolutions and squirming to work their way through. Every single goathead puncture I had showed only the 3-4mm spike of the goathead in the tyre. The big body had already been run over so many times that it wore or broke off.

So the idea with the tyre-saver is to scrape off this debris on the very 1st revolution of the tyre when you've just picked it up. You won't have your body-weight pounding that thing over and over again until it pokes through. I was rummaging through the bins and found some tyre savers, "Ah hah! Let's try this" I thought. It look about 30-minutes of bending and prying until I could get the shape of the wire to be contoured to the curve of the tyre and rest just 1-2mm above it. But you know what? I went from 1 flat a week to about 1 flat a year.

After picking up cycling again 1.5-years ago, I've had exactly 2 flats. One of them was actually my fault for installing a new wheel and didn't check the brake-pads. The rim was slightly smaller in diameter than my last one and the edge of the brake-pads ended up rubbing through the tyre. But I do take every precaution possible. I use kevlar-belted touring tyres, tyre-liners, tyre-savers and thorn-resistant tubes (thicker outside edge requires longer thorn/glass-shard to fully penetrate).

I couldn't find tyre-savers in the shops anymore, so I made my own from old spokes:

For those that don't think these work on goatheads, try an experiment yourself. Sprinkle a handful of goatheads across the path. Back up about 50ft and ride over them at normal speeds. And continue on for about 50-ft. Stop and you'll find 1-2 goatheads per tyre. Pick them out, install tyre-savers and repeat the experiment. After 50-ft stop and you'll find that there are ZERO goatheads stuck in your tyre.

The other practice that works is to rub your tyre after running through glass. You learn to recognized the sound of running over glass. Be sure to hook your thumb around back of seat-stays when rubbing rear-tyre so that your hand won't get yanked forward and stuck between the tyre and seat-tube...

Last edited by DannoXYZ; 05-27-07 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-26-07, 07:54 PM
Doug5150

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mike
Hey, Coyote, what is a Flick Stand? I think I have one of those on an old bike, but I could never figure out what it was or how it worked. Any pics? The link you gave was a bad link. Sounds interesting.
This page still sells them, and has a couple pics (scroll down to the bottom):
https://www.melpintoimports.com/hardtofinditems.html
------
As I was told, there was an old traditional way to make tire-scrapers out of old bicycle spokes....
~
Old 05-26-07, 08:22 PM
oldokie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw the one I am refering to within the past year and I am sure it was on a web site for a shop in the UK. It was still listed for sale on the web site at that time. It looked like a small spring that rubbed on the tire and appeared to be mounted via the mounting bolt for the brake caliper.

I found it interesting that when I was doing a Google search, I found a patent application from 1995 for a tire wiper. The patent application was built around a design that used some type of brush for the wiping action.
Old 05-26-07, 08:45 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
send an Email at Gregg's Greenlake cycle www.greggscycles.com

We've got some in a box. write a query Attn: Parts and I'll hunt you up a set.

agreed though, that they didn't really work. neat idea though.
Old 05-26-07, 10:08 PM
Wil Davis
Curmudgeon

Bikes: (see https://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've used "Tyre-Savers" for years; here are some pictures. If you can't find a source, you might be able to make a couple from an old spoke or coat-hanger and a couple of pieces of plastic tubing.

- Wil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tyre-savers-1.jpg (84.1 KB, 437 views)
tyre-savers-2.jpg (94.1 KB, 430 views)
tyre-savers-3.jpg (94.6 KB, 436 views)
Old 05-27-07, 06:01 AM
mike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How about hanging a thin chain between the forks such that the chain lays lightly on the tire?
Old 05-27-07, 12:16 PM
oldokie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bingo. Doing a Google on Tyre-Savers turned up the place I had been looking for. The web site is https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.a...VALUE&sfile=1= in the UK and they cost about 8 pounds which makes them pretty pricy with the current exchange rate.
I think I will experiment with something I make myself for now.
Old 03-16-18, 11:32 PM
raywood

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another Bike Forums thread continues this discussion.
Old 03-17-18, 12:31 AM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Compass Cycles sells them as Tire Wipers. Here’s the link:

https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/co...s/tire-wipers/
Old 03-17-18, 04:13 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Last time I used them (for three cornered jacks, similar to your goatheads), I just took some light electrical flex (maybe 1/16 in diam or a bit more, whatever I had in the shed for the car) and tied each end around the fork so the wire dragged on the top of with tyre. It didn't look pretty but I went from a puncture every day to none in six months.
Old 03-19-18, 04:19 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I found 2 new, in my parts box, and 1 very lightly used, for the price of postage, if anyone wants them. KB.
Old 03-19-18, 07:08 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
One of our customers just used a foot or so of rawhide bootlace at each wheel, tied to and running from one side of a brake caliper over the tire to the other side of the caliper.
Old 09-04-18, 04:41 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,513 Times in 2,856 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocivixen
Compass Cycles sells them as Tire Wipers. Here’s the link:

https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/co...s/tire-wipers/
The guy who makes those for CC, is known as "rootboy" here on BF.
Old 09-04-18, 06:53 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
For the zombies out there.... these are the good ones.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-TIRE-SA....c100005.m1851
Old 09-06-18, 06:50 AM
Arvacon

Bikes: Ideal Hillmaster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Their brand name looks promising.
Uncle Jonh's Enterprises,
Old 09-06-18, 07:08 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
I had those in the 70's. You'd have trouble fitting one to a modern bike as the brake fastening nut is inset into the frame - and a good thing too. They seem to work much better than the old version, though I don't really know why they would.
Old 09-06-18, 09:57 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Sheldon's nuts ...

Old 09-06-18, 10:14 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Tire savers work. They also make noise and spray dirt. The dirt from the front is mostly blow-back if you mount them as shown on Post # 11. If your chainstay bridge has a bolt hole for fenders, you can minimize the mess by mounting the rear there. I used them until I started racing at which point I started becoming religious re: brushing the tires with my hands. (Sewup flats being just plain too expensive in both time and money.)

Funny, I just pulled out an old tiresaver and mounted it on my best bike which I am taking to Cycle Oregon Saturday. Tuesday we will have the option of riding a gravel stretch with 1 1/2" stones. I'm putting on the biggest tires that will fit. Rear is a 32c with 2mm maybe between it and each chainstay and derailleur clamp. I don't want a small stone ruining my week. (It is set to clear the regular 28c for the rest of the time but brush the 32c Pasela. Cycle Oregon sweeps the streets so it is redundant until we hit the gravel.)

Ben
Old 09-06-18, 06:44 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Tire savers work. They also make noise and spray dirt.
True, but it's the debris spray that made me stop using them. Even mounted on the chainstay bridge, I found the amount of grit that landed on my chain to be unacceptable.

N.B. if I lived in goathead country, I might well feel differently. But I don't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.