Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Tough to be tall - higher end rides

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-18, 06:23 AM
laxpatrick

Bikes: Canyon, Gunnar, Speshes mtb and phat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Been looking for a new steed. Have a 2012 Roubaix in 64 and a custom Gunnar Roadie with looooooong cranks (210's). Wanting to get into a new carbon bike with disc brakes and electronic shifting. (I'm 6'8")

Trek and Specialized only offer lower end, standard shift models (emonda, roubaix).

Been looking at Canyon, thinking about the Endurace - any tall folks have them? Seems to be leading the pack in the selection.

Here's some geometry specs that I've put together.

Bike Comparison Frame Size StackReachST, C to T TT, Horizontal
Roubaix SL3 64 656 409 600 615
Canyon Endurace 2XL 644 417 612 607
Canyon Endurace 3XL 646 417 645 608
Canyon Ultimate 2XL 631 428 614 612
Canyon Ultimate 3XL 636 428 635 616
Trek Emonda 64 654 401 613 610
Trek Domane 62 656 386 586
Roubaix S-Works 61 665 392 563 588.5
Tarmac 61 612 408
Tarmac 64 636 415 584 621
Old 03-21-18, 07:42 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I'm not nearly as tall as you. My Canyon Endurace SL 7.0 arrives today. I'll post a review in a few days.

I spent some time comparing the Canyon Endurace geometry to my current bikes and to competitive models. The steep seat-tube and head-tube angles combined with the long fork and head-tube make this bike bigger than the seat-tube and top-tube numbers would indicate.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 03-21-18, 12:01 PM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I'm 6'7 and looked hard at the Canyon, but couldn't get past the H31 non-adjustable aero-cockpit setup and actually order one. My old bike was theroetically a 56cm, but the stack and reach were more like a 61, and I've consulted with an LBS and Bianchi and have a 63 cm infinito CV disc coming in from Europe to replace the car-killed X-Fire.

As with barretscv, I spent a lot of time comparing geo on the Ridley to other bikes, chatting to the LBS, and so on. The Canyon was the value-for-money, for sure, but I've wanted the Infinito for a while. It's the non Di2 variant due to budget, but I'm excited.

Also. Oddly. Canyon's on-WWW page calculator put me on an XL Endurace, not even the 2XL. Odd measurements, I guess.

Also -- the Emonda SLR6 at least is in Project one, so if it's in the budget you should be able to get electronic shifting onto it that way, but only on (I think) a 62.
Old 03-21-18, 05:11 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Why not look at Calfee or another custom carbon frame bike builder?

Get exactly what you want and need instead of compromising.
Old 03-21-18, 10:22 PM
laxpatrick

Originally Posted by rgconner

Um... Cost?
Old 03-22-18, 12:20 AM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
I have a Canyon CF SL 2017 in 3XL. I'm 'only' 6'5" but my physical dimensions make me ride much larger = long legs & long arms. The 3XL is beautiful for me after having spent many years riding bikes that are just too small for me. The best part about the Canyon for me was the stack. Every bike I had had previously was not quite long enough, but very low in the front. It wasn't really that much of a problem because I ride track bikes and I am long and low there and I don't do century rides. The Canyon is like riding a lounge chair in comparison.

At the time (and I think still is) the Canyon Ultimate was the largest non-custom carbon frame you could buy. I race shorter road and some crit stuff when I do get away from the track. I wanted something with a better fit for me but still something that was a proper race bike, and I also wanted to run at least 25mm tyres. The Canyon fitted that bill perfectly. It rides nicely for the casual bunch rides, but it's nice and stiff when giving it some anger in a final sprint. I had a Felt F4 before that, and that was a very stiff bike, but the Canyon leaves it for dead, but at the same time it is much more forgiving on the slower casual rides.

Perhaps it is worth you actually talking to a good bike fitter. There are a lot of fitters out there now that can fit you to virtual frames based on published dimensions. Required frame size can be vastly different depending on your physical dimensions, not just your height. I am 'only' 6'5", but the 3XL Canyon is still too small for me, and my next bike will be a custom alloy, but the Canyon is doing fine for me just now.
Old 03-22-18, 07:00 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by laxpatrick
Um... Cost?
Considering the bikes you are looking at, that hardly seems a valid consideration.
Old 03-22-18, 07:34 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Splurge. You're worth it:

https://www.applemanbicycles.com/

Ride globally. Shop locally.
Old 03-22-18, 10:32 AM
laxpatrick

Considering the bikes you are looking at, that hardly seems a valid consideration.
Pretty sure the Canyon I'm looking at is $3499. For Calfee that gets me a frame and part of a fork and not a whole lot more. Guessing at best 2X the Canyon which is a budget buster.
Old 03-22-18, 04:12 PM
brawlo

Serious question, why carbon?

I ask because I was a carbon guy through and through, but I ended up having to go alloy for my custom track bike due to cost. I was absolutely blown away by the result from Duratec. It was mind blowing to see the results from a company that really knows their stuff. Custom wall thickness and tube profiles mhave made for a rock solid frame that at a 63cm top tube length, is stiffer than other riders' much smaller carbon frames. I will likely be using them for my next road bike, unless someone locally blows me away just as much.

I would also reiterate trying to get yourself a good fitting as well. It may be the case that even the big Canyon will be too small for you and you could be better off just waiting a little longer and getting the right size bike...or it may fit you perfectly, but at least you will know for sure
Old 03-23-18, 06:47 AM
miksi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6'7" here with 95cm inseam riding (well, waiting to ride properly since weather and some health issues have not been favourable) 3XL canyon endurace al, brand new, still waiting for proper test ride. I did a short climb and descent only but I have to say it is both stiff and comfortable. I have 105 groupset and I must say I am more than happy

Last edited by miksi; 03-23-18 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-23-18, 07:40 AM
laxpatrick

Fitting goes without saying. Couldn't agree more.

Why carbon? Completely personal preference.

I've ridden a variety for years, have/have had several different aluminum, steel, and carbon. My riding is mostly cruising around the steep short hills of western Wisconsin. Nice area to ride since unlike other MW states, pretty much all roads are paved asphalt/seal coat.

The Gunnar's staying in the stable.

Carbon seems (to me) to offer the Goldilocks option. Stiff when I'm out of the saddle yet nicer on the bumps.

I like Canyon's return policy. Give it a try and if I don't like it, send it back. Most shops around here won't bring a bike in without a down payment in the biggie sizes.
Old 03-23-18, 11:25 AM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts

I like Canyon's return policy. Give it a try and if I don't like it, send it back. Most shops around here won't bring a bike in without a down payment in the biggie sizes.
I'm both happy and very sad that I'm not alone in that.
Old 03-25-18, 07:04 PM
brawlo

Fitting goes without saying. Couldn't agree more.

Why carbon? Completely personal preference.

I've ridden a variety for years, have/have had several different aluminum, steel, and carbon. My riding is mostly cruising around the steep short hills of western Wisconsin. Nice area to ride since unlike other MW states, pretty much all roads are paved asphalt/seal coat.

The Gunnar's staying in the stable.

Carbon seems (to me) to offer the Goldilocks option. Stiff when I'm out of the saddle yet nicer on the bumps.

You definitely won't be unhappy going with Canyon. Having been on a few large bikes over the years, they definitely know about building a bike for a proper large rider. The big boxes to tick in head tube and ride quality are done as far as I'm concerned and I'm extremely happy with my Ultimate CF SL. The key point will be in whether the Endurace or the ultimate fit you best. Happy shopping. My next ride will be a disc model, but not looking for anything just yet
Old 03-26-18, 04:12 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Um... Cost?
That's actually a fairly restrictive view of things. Sure, my Hillbrick cost me a bit, but no more than an Ultegra road bike would have cost me at the time and this bike is more or less equivalent. The difference being, there were NO bikes on the market that would have given me what I wanted, this way I DID get what I wanted and now, after 7 years, I'm still in love with that bike.

In your case, you are well what the companies consider a 'normal' human and so any off the shelf bike will have compromises. Taking a deep breath and paying a bit more to get a bike that fits and suits you is a very good idea. Considering how long a bike will last if looked after, the cost fades into the background. Buy an ill-fitting bike, and you'll be buying another one fairly quickly.
Old 03-26-18, 07:34 AM
laxpatrick

Originally Posted by brawlo
You definitely won't be unhappy going with Canyon. Having been on a few large bikes over the years, they definitely know about building a bike for a proper large rider. The big boxes to tick in head tube and ride quality are done as far as I'm concerned and I'm extremely happy with my Ultimate CF SL. The key point will be in whether the Endurace or the ultimate fit you best. Happy shopping. My next ride will be a disc model, but not looking for anything just yet
Totally - thanks for your thoughts. I know the Endurace will probably be more forgiving, but don't want to wish I'd gone with the Ultimate over 1.5 cm or so of stack (but more reach).
Old 03-26-18, 04:06 PM
brawlo

Totally - thanks for your thoughts. I know the Endurace will probably be more forgiving, but don't want to wish I'd gone with the Ultimate over 1.5 cm or so of stack (but more reach).
The ride of the Ultimate is pretty plush. Also consider that at your height you will have a fair amount of seatpost out of the frame which will also smooth the ride out. I honestly don't think that there will be much if any difference in the ride quality of the frames. The big difference will be if the higher stack is worth the reach trade off. That will come out in a fit evaluation. Remember it is only 13mm stack difference and that can fairly easily be compensated for in a stem and/or some spacers (depending on just how high you'd need to go).

Duratec used to have a fit calculator that showed your measurements compared to statistical norms for your height. It appears to have gone now. It was great because it let you see where you were 'different' and could point you to what aspects you might need to look at more than others. e.g. longer legs = more stack, longer torso or arms = more reach
Old 03-29-18, 08:12 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 179 Posts
I have no experience with carbon bikes and at my age I probaly don't need one because I am more pokey than speedy. Someone else took the time to make up this list that may be helpful to you.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1545980248

This one is a bit older but may be of help if you are looking for a used bike.

https://www.cyclingabout.com/list-of...ts-62-63-64cm/
Old 04-07-18, 09:31 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I've been enjoying my XL Canyon Endurace for a couple of weeks. I'm 6' 0" but have long limbs. I can fit most road bikes if the virtual top-tube length is between 585mm and 600mm. While I ride with sufficient effort to care about performance, I only enter a few races a year. My ideal bike is versatile enough for a hilly century ride, an crushed limestone bike path or a friendly road race. The Endurace is an ideal bike for my needs.

The fit of the XL size Endurace is about 5mm larger along the top-tube than ideal. However, the bike is comfortable and the substitution of a shorter stem provided the ideal fit. These bike are larger than the numbers indicate. I agree with the fit guidance that Canyon provides. The 2XL Endurace should fit most cyclist up to 6' 8".

Canyon offers a no-questions-asked return policy. If your willing to gamble the cost of the return shipping, buying the bike and test riding it is a reasonable option.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 04-07-18 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-13-18, 10:51 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
6'5"/210 rider here, and have a 62cm 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6 (frameset, built with anachronistic yet complementary 7800 Dura-Ace), which fits me perfectly. All aluminum frame (Alpha 300) and fully carbon fork. It properly accelerates when you get on it, which feels fantastic. There's enough room to run 28mm tires from where I look, which I hope to take advantage of some day (I'm running 25mm Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CXs right now). Wicked sharp and responsive ride, but not harsh. Sure, the ALR doesn't have accommodation for internal cable routing for Di2, but as a frameset it is no slouch. Carbon is a natural damper, while being tune-able for stiffness and responsiveness where needed. The Emonda wasn't a bike-of-the-year for magazines for no reason, so I'd consider the 64cm at your height. Do they not make an Emonda SL or SLR with internal routing and in a 64cm? One day I'll build a Di2 bike, because I think, in spite of my dinosaur tendencies here and there, that electric shifting is/could be pretty freaking sweet.