Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Just started training with Power? Post your questions/comments here!

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Just started training with Power? Post your questions/comments here!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-18, 07:08 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Wahoo element syncs to dropbox. This was a hugeeeee benefit for me. Sync to dropbox, and have golden cheetah auto pull new activities from that folder when I launch. It also sends to strava / training peaks etc. But I rarely look at training peaks except to get my hrTSS from rides where i don't have a powermeter.
The only issue I have with Wahoo (Bolt) is when I open it up using the phone app, which I don't do often. It syncs with the app and syncs again with TP. More times than not this puts a duplicate workout or two into training peaks. Then when I open WKO4 it syncs with TP and puts the duplicate there. Really messes with ATL/TSB. Have to go into TP, delete the duplicates then re-snc WKO4.

I have no issues if I simply finish rides & let the Bolt do its thing. Rides just magically appear in TP.
Old 04-29-18, 01:03 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
You can delete those workouts out of TP before syncing to WKO.
Old 04-29-18, 02:54 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
You can delete those workouts out of TP before syncing to WKO.
If I remember to check first
Old 04-29-18, 05:00 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Voodoo76
The only issue I have with Wahoo (Bolt) is when I open it up using the phone app, which I don't do often. It syncs with the app and syncs again with TP. More times than not this puts a duplicate workout or two into training peaks. Then when I open WKO4 it syncs with TP and puts the duplicate there. Really messes with ATL/TSB. Have to go into TP, delete the duplicates then re-snc WKO4.

I have no issues if I simply finish rides & let the Bolt do its thing. Rides just magically appear in TP.
Same problem. It's annoying and I wish it would get fixed. I don't use TP to drive my training but can imagine how much frustration that would cause..
Old 04-30-18, 01:03 AM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same problem. It's annoying and I wish it would get fixed. I don't use TP to drive my training but can imagine how much frustration that would cause..
it's more than annoying if one has a coach and TrainingPeaks is used, as many coaches download the files from TP.com automatically.
Old 04-30-18, 08:25 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Still having a hard time transferring all my legacy power files into WKO. Strava bulk exported as GPX, Cycling Analytics exported as .fit and .json. WKO doesn't take gpx or json. I can't find a converter for .json, there may be one for GPX to TCX (GPSBabel) that I'll try after work. This shouldn't be that hard =\
Old 04-30-18, 06:27 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by furiousferret
Still having a hard time transferring all my legacy power files into WKO. Strava bulk exported as GPX, Cycling Analytics exported as .fit and .json. WKO doesn't take gpx or json. I can't find a converter for .json, there may be one for GPX to TCX (GPSBabel) that I'll try after work. This shouldn't be that hard =\
Push comes to shove.. Put them into golden cheetah and bulk export back as the file type you want. Kinda sucks to download a whole piece of software to do this, but it will work. Yes it takes all those file types.
Old 04-30-18, 07:23 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Push comes to shove.. Put them into golden cheetah and bulk export back as the file type you want. Kinda sucks to download a whole piece of software to do this, but it will work. Yes it takes all those file types.
Thanks!

I just literally (as the english would say) found this out about about this 5 minutes eariler. How WKO has millions of $$ in development and can't do this is beyond me.
Old 04-30-18, 09:36 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
How WKO has millions of $$ in development and can't do this is beyond me.
Well, I think you may be overestimating the development budget of WKO. That said, WKO+/Training Peaks are the 'premium' brand in training software and have traditionally had a pretty strong hold on the market (though maybe not as strong now as they used to have). I don't think they consider inter-operabilty with competing products to be in their best interests; they'd rather tie you to their platform. Hence the tight integration between WKO+ and TrainingPeaks, yet at the same time they've closed the API's that were previously used by products such as Golden Cheetah for syncing with TrainingPeaks. I happen disagree with that 'protectionist' thinking, and I think it's doing them more harm than good.
Old 05-10-18, 12:39 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
So I did a spirited hilly group ride yesterday, and finished with a IF of 1.15 for 1.5hours moving time ~1.75 hours elapsed. I did a 20 min FTP test outside last week and saw a small bump in my FTP compared to 1 month ago that was performed on the trainer(same power meter). Do I just suck at pacing/motivation, or is this due to the nature of a hilly group ride where a lot of time is spent at high efforts and then a lot of time is spent recovering. My coggan weighted avg power was ~35watts above my FTP for the ride. I know training peaks suggests an IF over 1 for an hour effort is an indication fitness has improved. Just wondering if I should retest soon or how to go about calculating my FTP from this ride to make sure my zones are set correctly.
Old 05-10-18, 02:43 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
So I did a spirited hilly group ride yesterday, and finished with a IF of 1.15 for 1.5hours moving time ~1.75 hours elapsed. I did a 20 min FTP test outside last week and saw a small bump in my FTP compared to 1 month ago that was performed on the trainer(same power meter). Do I just suck at pacing/motivation, or is this due to the nature of a hilly group ride where a lot of time is spent at high efforts and then a lot of time is spent recovering. My coggan weighted avg power was ~35watts above my FTP for the ride. I know training peaks suggests an IF over 1 for an hour effort is an indication fitness has improved. Just wondering if I should retest soon or how to go about calculating my FTP from this ride to make sure my zones are set correctly.
What was the Variability Index for the ride? I often reproduce that scenario in crits, due to the surges/attacks mixed in with lulls (and even coasting on a more technical course). IMHO you can't really used Normalized Power to estimate FTP, especially if you're the kind of rider with a big anaerobic engine who's good at above-threshold efforts. I'm guessing your average power was quite a bit lower?

It might be worth retesting to see what you can do in a more steady effort, but I wouldn't assume that NP from a highly variable ride is a direct indicator of a new FTP. Also, if you're the type of rider who often produces these 'NP-buster' types of numbers, a longer FTP test should be preferred. Something like the 2x8' test on Trainer Road will most likely overestimate your FTP.
Old 05-10-18, 03:09 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by jsk
What was the Variability Index for the ride? I often reproduce that scenario in crits, due to the surges/attacks mixed in with lulls (and even coasting on a more technical course). IMHO you can't really used Normalized Power to estimate FTP, especially if you're the kind of rider with a big anaerobic engine who's good at above-threshold efforts. I'm guessing your average power was quite a bit lower?

It might be worth retesting to see what you can do in a more steady effort, but I wouldn't assume that NP from a highly variable ride is a direct indicator of a new FTP. Also, if you're the type of rider who often produces these 'NP-buster' types of numbers, a longer FTP test should be preferred. Something like the 2x8' test on Trainer Road will most likely overestimate your FTP.
yea wasn't trying to use np to estimate ftp. The VI was 1.3 so it was all over the place. I use the 20 min test with anaerobic efforts beforehand like the one on zwift. I'm a cyclocross racer so I am used to high anaerobic efforts with recovery inbetween.
Old 05-18-18, 01:59 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Looks like last time i got -61 it was 2 months before positive, but ctl went up almost 40 pts. As ctl rose, tsb became less negative and eventually flatlined as my workload remained fairly steady.
So just as an update, I've been sitting with a fairly negative TSB for a month now. My CTL should stabilize as it did for you, and daily workload should settle at a relatively steady rate. Not sure how much I can continue to ramp the ATL but haven't done many rides over 30 miles yet for the year. Anyone have any thoughts on if this is sustainable? Haven't gotten injured or burned out yet, but its been a hard road so far.
Old 05-25-18, 09:02 AM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
So I was one of those guys with an early Quarq (Cinqo Saturn, then 4 other Cinqos). They all died.

Has Quarq addressed these issues and fixed their spider to be more robust?
Old 05-25-18, 10:20 AM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by kensuf
So I was one of those guys with an early Quarq (Cinqo Saturn, then 4 other Cinqos). They all died.

N=4, but I've been a fan, I have 4 Quarq's.: 3 Elsa's that I have had since 2013 and one of the new Specialized Dzero's that I've had since March. They are all consistent and have been robust. The one issue I did have was because I broke the battery holder using pliers to open it up. That's a big no no and when the battery case spins the numbers will be off. Not sure the connection between the two, but I had it fixed under warranty and haven't had an issue since. It's nice that the new ones let me check the battery level in their new Bluetooth app.
Old 05-25-18, 08:26 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Took advantage of the p2m upgrade deal. Upgraded both my old meters to their new NGeco model and get a power meter on my new road bike. Hopefully I'll have a bit better aprity between my road bike and tt bike as well.
Old 05-27-18, 09:05 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kensuf

I've been using the last one for like 3 years. ymmv

dzero's seem pretty good.
Old 07-24-18, 07:16 PM
Hapsmo911

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
I was thinking about buying a canned training plan from TP. Are they worth getting?
Old 07-24-18, 08:07 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Buy one of the popular books instead is my opinion. Learn why training plans are made the way they are and you'll be better off in the long run. Cyslist training bible, training and racing with a power meter, time crunched cyclist etc.
Old 07-30-18, 03:49 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
I have changed my mind about new racers and needing power information.

Being 64 years old and having raced into my 60's (now retired) and having trained over pretty much the same routes for many years I never needed any power gizmo and only needed my speed and a good look at the Spanish moss (I live in Gainesville, FL) for which way it was hanging and its angle (so I knew the wind direction and speed) to have a great feel for how hard I was going. After multiple rides every week for many years I was a fine tuned instrument. I knew when I was slacking and I knew when I was killing it even if it didn't feel that way.

Now I see that for someone without that world of experience a power meter can be really important. Most importantly it is a device that doesn't lie to you. It is critical to "dose" your Sweet Spot rides and your intervals correctly to get maximum benefit.

I take back every post I ever said about not needing one unless you are an old fart racer.
Old 07-30-18, 04:42 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Training is training and racing is racing. I think some people really confuse the two, or blur the line too completely.

Group riding and racing skills are the most important thing a new racer can learn, in my opinion. Especially when you're new, basically any riding is going to help you improve, so the training doesn't have to be all that sophisticated (or at all) to be extremely effective.

But for training on your own, a power meter can give you a vast amount of useful info that can really help you maximize training and not waste time. I cringe when I think of all of the rides I used to do to accumulate 20+ hours a week. I bet 5-10 of those hours were completely useless from a physiological standpoint. I'd have probably been so much better off with 12-15 hours of "actual" riding at an effective intensity.

Live and learn.
Old 08-12-18, 12:04 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Hapsmo911
I was thinking about buying a canned training plan from TP. Are they worth getting?
They’re not great, but they are not terrible either. I think the biggest benefit is giving you structure without having to think about it. You get the daily notification, you go out and do the ride, you get a bit fitter.

Is it as good as a real coach? Nope, but much cheaper. Is it as good as putting together your own custom plan from all the available information in print and on the web? No, but much easier.
Old 08-15-18, 07:34 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Training is training and racing is racing. I think some people really confuse the two, or blur the line too completely.

Group riding and racing skills are the most important thing a new racer can learn, in my opinion. Especially when you're new, basically any riding is going to help you improve, so the training doesn't have to be all that sophisticated (or at all) to be extremely effective.

But for training on your own, a power meter can give you a vast amount of useful info that can really help you maximize training and not waste time. I cringe when I think of all of the rides I used to do to accumulate 20+ hours a week. I bet 5-10 of those hours were completely useless from a physiological standpoint. I'd have probably been so much better off with 12-15 hours of "actual" riding at an effective intensity.

Live and learn.
Mmmm. I bet the long hours helped you become more efficient, unless they were like waiting at stoplights with the clock going.
Old 08-15-18, 08:10 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
Mmmm. I bet the long hours helped you become more efficient, unless they were like waiting at stoplights with the clock going.
Maybe. But I did a whole bunch of group rides to make up those hours, and when I finally got a powermeter I realized that I spent an inordinate amount of time coasting and soft pedaling on group rides, and still again when on my own.
Old 08-15-18, 09:22 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Maybe. But I did a whole bunch of group rides to make up those hours, and when I finally got a powermeter I realized that I spent an inordinate amount of time coasting and soft pedaling on group rides, and still again when on my own.
I dunno. All I do is group rides and I'll put my threshold up with most any amateur. I think they're underrated!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.