Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Scott Bikes: Feedback and Opinions

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-25-20, 07:55 PM
aspalmat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts

Looking for feedback and thoughts on Scott bikes. Where I live in Michigan, I don't see many Scott bikes, although we do have a local bike shop that sells them. I don't see much about them on this forum either. However, when I look at their website, they seem to have a solid history in bike innovation.

I'm looking for a new road bike, and this Scott Addict 10 Disc looks like an excellent Endurance bike for an excellent price. Maybe the Scott Snycros components is what brings the price down, but, at the end of the day, the bike has a full Shimano Ultegra kit and weights less than 18 1/2 lbs. I also like the 11-32 rear cassette as opposed to the 11-34 on a lot of the Endurance road bikes.

What are people's thoughts opinions on Scott bikes? Thanks.
Old 01-26-20, 03:38 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I didn't pay much attention to Scott bikes until I noticed a friend who's raced for years rides one. Googled around, discovered the early Scott Addict is considered a classic. Sounds good if it checks your boxes.
Old 01-26-20, 08:20 AM
aspalmat

Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely going to try one out at my local bike shop.
Old 01-27-20, 03:00 AM
Winny42

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
Well I now own 2 of them (foil rc rim brake and an addict rc disk brake), although both are aggressive race geometry which might now be what you're after, but both are among the best bikes I've ridden. Truly top level engineering and make me want to ride every day. My local dealer sells pinarwllo, cannondale, cervelo etc so not in bad company either.
Old 01-27-20, 08:09 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
I rode an Addict SL for years. Been on this Foil for the past two and LOVE it. Stiff, comfortable... no trekky BB creaks or any other issues. Just a solid, well-made ride.

Old 01-27-20, 12:32 PM
aspalmat

Originally Posted by onyerleft
Are you kidding? Addict is one of the great iconic names, along with [insert your favorite high-end bike model names here]. You won't be disappointed. And that's my advice, Scot-free.
Nope, not kidding. I have an open mind though, and pretty postive feedback in this thread. I'm fairly new to cycling, and like I said, Scott is just not that common where I'm at. I see lots of Trek, Cannondale, Specialized ect. My local Scott dealer doesn't even seem to stock the Addict line, I believe he has more of their mountain bikes. I'd have to have him order something just for me to try one, which I'm trying to work out with him. Thanks for the feedback though.
Old 01-27-20, 12:49 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Scott makes great bikes and the Addict is a classic. Scott isn't common in my area either, but several years ago I test rode a Scott Solace and fell in love with the ride. I had been testing out almost every road bike I could get access to, including models from Specialized, Canondale, Cervelo and Trek. The Scott 'spoke' to me in a way that none of those other bikes did and I bought it.

The Solace is no longer in the Scott lineup, at the time it was positioned as a more relaxed 'endurance' ride vs the somewhat racier Addict. Now the Addict more or less occupies that niche.
Old 01-27-20, 12:52 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
I rode an Addict SL for years. Been on this Foil for the past two and LOVE it. Stiff, comfortable... no trekky BB creaks or any other issues. Just a solid, well-made ride.

Holy seat post batman! How much do you have inside the seat tube?
Old 01-27-20, 01:07 PM
Zaskar

Originally Posted by jadocs
Holy seat post batman! How much do you have inside the seat tube?
Ha! Surprisingly, plenty....

(I bought the long one)

I'm barely over 6' tall and have a 37" inseam. That puts me on a 61cm. Or, a 58 with a long stem and lots of seat post.
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 01-28-20, 06:04 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
The Addict is a winner through and through. Does not get the press time in USA as it does elsewhere, so I consider it an unsung hero. Great bike.
Old 01-29-20, 02:03 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Anyone have any opinion of the CR1? I picked out a 2013 Premium for a mate to buy.
Old 01-29-20, 02:31 PM
TiHabanero

Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
The 2013 CR1 Premium is a fairly good race machine. I do believe it was the start of the silly light frame trend. Being a Scott it is going to be a good bike for its intended ;purpose. Have ridden the Addict from various years, but not the CR1 Premium.
Old 01-30-20, 12:25 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked 577 Times in 435 Posts

You, sir, have a very nice bike!

The Foil Premium Disc is my dream bike. Never ridden one, but always got very positive feedback from owners. It is ''the cadillac'' of bikes, that's for sure! One day I'll have $15k to spend on a bicycle

I've heard good things about the Addict as well.
Old 01-30-20, 12:44 PM
Zaskar

Originally Posted by eduskator
You, sir, have a very nice bike!
It is not holding me back, that's for sure. But yeah, I'm right there with you - that Foil Premium Disc is my lottery bike too.

A few guys in my club recently got new bikes - electronic shifting, disc, etc. I'm now in the minority (shifters, brakes). Got me thinking maybe it was time to upgrade... started looking at bikes online. The very next day, I did a group ride. Joey Rosskopf was on that ride. His bike was older than mine. He didn't have disc brakes. He had mechanical shifters/derailleurs... There was nothing (!) special about the bike. Oh, sure - not his race bike. I know. But, if my bike is good enough for a World Tour pro as a non-race day bike, well... I'll put off upgrading for a bit.
Old 01-30-20, 03:26 PM
RedBullFiXX

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Certainly enjoy my Scott Addict

Likes For RedBullFiXX:
Old 01-31-20, 09:15 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked 577 Times in 435 Posts
It is not holding me back, that's for sure. But yeah, I'm right there with you - that Foil Premium Disc is my lottery bike too.

A few guys in my club recently got new bikes - electronic shifting, disc, etc. I'm now in the minority (shifters, brakes). Got me thinking maybe it was time to upgrade... started looking at bikes online. The very next day, I did a group ride. Joey Rosskopf was on that ride. His bike was older than mine. He didn't have disc brakes. He had mechanical shifters/derailleurs... There was nothing (!) special about the bike. Oh, sure - not his race bike. I know. But, if my bike is good enough for a World Tour pro as a non-race day bike, well... I'll put off upgrading for a bit.
Indeed! Saw one for 12k ''on sale'', was tempted, but then I remembered 2 things : I had already a good race-bike and I wasn't a pro.
Old 02-01-20, 06:12 AM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Scott bikes are as good as any. I have ridden Trek; Orbea; Pedal Force; Litespeed and others and while never owning a Scott, heard nothing but good things. I think where you suggest not seeing much on them it may be because unless you have a source (LBS) that sells them, you won't find many posting about them. I like the looks of one and the geometry. I really don't think you will find much to hate about them. The best litmus test however is the test ride! Go ride one at your LBS and make your decision based on that rather than others telling you what they think...…..bikes are subjective just like whether one likes Italian food or not.
Old 02-01-20, 06:14 AM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
I would add one thing to my earlier post......saw the bike had 30's on the stock setup. I guess I am old school as I still prefer a 700x23 tire. I am a dinosaur in this sport.
Old 02-01-20, 07:45 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Looked at the Addict, nice looking bike. Less BB drop than most though with more of a CX bike geometry it seems. Not sure what that really means though from handling or ergonomics perspective.
Old 02-01-20, 10:51 AM
Johnny Rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I'm addicted to the Addict.

Though I looking longingly at the F01L.
(Same for the new Addict even with its visually heavy front-end.)

The Addict's geo works well enough for me; I pedal and it moves forward.

Most importantly, my bike makes me smile - so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

I'm a Scott homer, so I can't give you any comparisons. I rode an early (?) Madone too many years ago to recall many specifics...

Likes For Johnny Rad: