Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you carry a saddlebag....?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Do you carry a saddlebag....?

Old 05-23-20, 06:27 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20804 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I stopped carrying a saddle bag for a long time because the velcro that went around the seatpost would invariably catch my shorts and mess them up. But it was always a pain on long summer rides where I'd have to carry an additional bottle and lots of food. But then I saw a saddlebag that only attaches to the seat so I got that and have been using it since. Frees up pockets better, especially since I now always carry my phone in my center pocket.
Yup, the abrading is exactly why I stopped using a typical saddle bag for a while and the food/drink storage is why I was happy to find the Silca.

....it also increased my Boa utilization by 25%, which everybody knows is huge.
Old 05-23-20, 06:38 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Lezyne Road Caddy. Very small and discreet. By far the best value in a minimalist saddle bag. It's what I use on my carbon fiber bikes. Everything I need, no extras: tube, lever, patch kit, CO2 kit, multi-tool. I had to shop carefully to choose those bits to fit properly: Conti Race 28 Light tube (only latex would be thinner), CO2 valve, etc., all had to be smaller than usual. But everything works. I've fixed one flat of my own, and another for a friend, using my kit. Everything works. And I clip a mini-pump onto the frame water bottle cage (Topeak Race Rocket HP).
You have almost basically the same setup I run now. Everything you typically could need. I have squeezed in though a couple nitrile gloves and a couple quicklinks too.
I ordered both the Road Caddy and the Arundel Pico though, and sent back the Road Caddy. Both were great, but liked the material/look of the Pico a bit better. Trick is (as you point out), choosing ultralight tubes for this purpose (I went with Michelin Aircomps), and my pump at the bracket is some Lezyne model.

Further trips, or will be in a remoter location, I'd switch back to Arundel Dual setup that's the same but has 2 tubes and 2 CO2s.
Old 05-23-20, 07:31 AM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Used to carry everything in a bag. Lately have everything in a Lezyne roll-up pouch that fits neatly in a jersey pocket, 2 of which were always empty anyway. I ditched the saddle bag so I could place my Varia light/radar higher up on the seat post.
Old 05-23-20, 08:27 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts

Silca Capsule.
Old 05-23-20, 08:32 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 495 Posts
Here is my saddle bag that gets attached to whatever bike I choose to ride.
Has most all the necessities needed for road setbacks.
Old 05-23-20, 08:39 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Speedsleev. Just switched this year to these on all my bikes since there was a 30% off sale earlier this spring.

No seatpost securing which is perfect since that inevitably gets in the way ornscratches shorts.
It is super fast to attach and remove. I use the mtb/gravel bag for all my bikes because I would rather have extra room that can be cinched down than not have enough room for what I need.

it doesn't sway at all.
The dedicated spots for co2 aren't utilized since I don't use co2, but spare stuff can be placed in there if needed.

Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-23-20, 08:48 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,487 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Used to. Got tired of moving it from one bike to another. Got a small drawstring bag which holds essentials and fits in middle jersey pocket.
Is it purple with the words “Crown Royal” on it?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-23-20, 08:49 AM
indyfabz

Sometimes I carry 5. Red bags are the fastest.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-23-20, 09:00 AM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR

I use the same bag.
Old 05-23-20, 09:22 AM
Fourbtgait

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
Topeak medium aero wedge: 2x tubes, levers, mini tool, pliers, small pouch with extra allens, screw driver and foreceps, small container of wire caps, links and tube adapters, i.d. x2, credit card and boot bills.

Excellent use of space
Use the same bag now. Was using a REI bag from the 90’s, decided I should upgrade. Carry the same items in the back except have garage door opener as most times I ride from my house and pick up the river trail which can give me 40 miles round trip.
Likes For Fourbtgait:
Old 05-23-20, 09:28 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Best bag ...period.

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...ondopack-hydro
Old 05-23-20, 09:53 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by one4smoke
Oh, hell no.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-23-20, 09:53 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,937 Times in 1,382 Posts
What you carry depends on your risk tolerance and how far you ride. The further you ride, the lower your risk tolerance. The further you ride, the more supplies you need to take with you. I've been using a 4L Ortlieb saddle bag for many years, It clips to the saddle rails. Extra mounting plates are available, so it's easy to move from bike to bike. It comes with a seatpost strap which doesn't abrade my shorts, but on some of my bikes I don't use it. The mount is very secure. I can ride a double with what I can carry with me, only stopping every 50 miles for water. Good bag to have when going long distances into unsettled weather. 220g https://www.ortlieb.com/usa/products...gs/saddle-bags
Old 05-23-20, 11:20 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I primarily use an Evoc bag that fits a lot but is light and has never caused me any issues. I also have a heavier, bigger Topeak and a 7L Ortlieb seatpack if I really need to haul.

Typically I'd carry:
2 tubes (will go down to 1 for shorter rides and with my new tubeless setup)
Patches (never actually use them, but just in case I bust all my tubes)
Tire boot
Master link (one time I forgot I'd taken it out and couldn't help a guy whose chain broke in the middle of our SR520 bridge trail)
Topeak Hexus II multitool
2 tire levers (the Hexus has them, but I've snapped an original Hexus lever so not taking chances)
CO2 cartridge (a 2nd for longer rides, sometimes I won't carry any)
PDW Shiny Object CO2 inflator head (unless I'm on one of my bikes with a combo minipump mounted on the downtube)
Nitrile gloves
Some isopropyl wipes
Car keys if I drove
Genuine Innovations plugs if riding tubeless

I also carry stuff in my jersey pockets. Phone and wallet go into a Rapha waterproof case, house keys and garage door opener into a Lezyne Caddy Sack (I leave these at home if I know someone will let me back in). Kool Stop tire bead jack because I'd rather not limit my tire choice to only ones I can mount by hand. Rain jacket and assorted rain/cold outer layers can share pockets. The rest of the pocket room goes to nutrition.
Old 05-23-20, 12:19 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke

11 oz, just for the bag!
Old 05-23-20, 01:26 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by woodcraft
11 oz, just for the bag!
Old 05-23-20, 01:27 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I stopped carrying a saddle bag for a long time because the velcro that went around the seatpost would invariably catch my shorts and mess them up. But it was always a pain on long summer rides where I'd have to carry an additional bottle and lots of food. But then I saw a saddlebag that only attaches to the seat so I got that and have been using it since. Frees up pockets better, especially since I now always carry my phone in my center pocket.
Yes, the barbed side of velcro will absolutely destroy lycra in no time. Velcro doesn't get anywhere near my bikes, ever - fortunately with tubeless we can use much smaller bags without straps, and then it's always possible to replace a strap with a punched leather strap and buckle, or anything other than velcro. I don't even buy shoes with a single velcro strap; they will destroy shoe covers!
Old 05-23-20, 01:57 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6

Silca Capsule.
Oh, that looks excellent. Does it flop or swing?
Old 05-23-20, 02:03 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
Yes, the barbed side of velcro will absolutely destroy lycra in no time. Velcro doesn't get anywhere near my bikes, ever - fortunately with tubeless we can use much smaller bags without straps, and then it's always possible to replace a strap with a punched leather strap and buckle, or anything other than velcro. I don't even buy shoes with a single velcro strap; they will destroy shoe covers!
So true, I destroyed countless pairs of expensive bib shorts, from the habit of taking them off when I still had my velcro shoes on.

It took me years to figure out why the lycra on the on front of my shorts kept developing these weird almost moth-eaten patches that eventually went transparent, causing me to have to either throw them out, or face indecent exposure charges.
Old 05-23-20, 02:14 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by sfrider
Oh, that looks excellent. Does it flop or swing?
I've got a Silca Premio Roll - like the above Silca clamshell, it has Boa retention and would assume that the clamshell snugs up just as nicely. No movement out of the roll -

Old 05-23-20, 02:16 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6

Silca Capsule.
I've read mixed reviews on this. How has it held up?
Old 05-23-20, 02:20 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Fourbtgait
Use the same bag now. Was using a REI bag from the 90’s, decided I should upgrade. Carry the same items in the back except have garage door opener as most times I ride from my house and pick up the river trail which can give me 40 miles round trip.
I have a Topeak Explorer rack. The med. wedge fits perfectly between seat and leading edge of mtx trunk bag. The only downside reviewed was the upper run of the zipper being too close to the seat. I found it is a function of the seat design. With little "junk under the trunk", seatwise, there is no trouble. With my Cobb Randee, it is a perfect marriage.

(Seat prior to Randee)
​​​​​​
Old 05-23-20, 03:31 PM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2021 S-Works Aethos (Roval Alpinist CLX II), 2024 Topstone Lab71 (Terra CLX II), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2021 S-Works Epic

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I've got a Silca Premio Roll - like the above Silca clamshell, it has Boa retention and would assume that the clamshell snugs up just as nicely. No movement out of the roll -

I got that bag, too, but found the edges stick out and hit my legs. So strange. I went back to my Lezyne. Nice design though.

As to whether I use a bag, yes! I used to think it wasn’t “cool” to use a bag, but I got over many years ago. I don’t like carrying a bunch of stuff in my jersey, and I never forget my tools are repair kit.
Old 05-23-20, 04:04 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by justonwo
I got that bag, too, but found the edges stick out and hit my legs. So strange. I went back to my Lezyne. Nice design though.

As to whether I use a bag, yes! I used to think it wasn’t “cool” to use a bag, but I got over many years ago. I don’t like carrying a bunch of stuff in my jersey, and I never forget my tools are repair kit.
The Boa isn't quite in the middle of the roll, so I fasten it with the longer side towards the back. Haven't had any problems with it contacting my legs in that orientation.
Old 05-23-20, 06:09 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
I have a Topeak Explorer rack. The med. wedge fits perfectly between seat and leading edge of mtx trunk bag. The only downside reviewed was the upper run of the zipper being too close to the seat. I found it is a function of the seat design. With little "junk under the trunk", seatwise, there is no trouble. With my Cobb Randee, it is a perfect marriage.

(Seat prior to Randee)
​​​​​​
Why not just put the seat bag on the rack or use of top rack bag?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.