Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

This is my jersey pack....what do you take in yours?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

This is my jersey pack....what do you take in yours?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-20, 01:16 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Perhaps I have been unclear. I have saddlebags. I have used numerous, from Lezyne, Arundel, Aeroclam, you name it. I currently do not run a bag under the saddle on any of my bikes. Why? I don't like them.

My biggest frame has 8.5" of seatpost showing. Throw a pound under a saddle sitting 9-10" above the frame, and it's that inverted pendulum effect. I can feel the weight. I DON'T LIKE IT. I have other options. I choose those.
Old 06-21-20, 01:16 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Leg rub.
Never had a problem... and I don't have Chicken Legs
Old 06-21-20, 01:18 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Perhaps I have been unclear. I have saddlebags. I have used numerous, from Lezyne, Arundel, Aeroclam, you name it. I currently do not run a bag under the saddle on any of my bikes. Why? I don't like them.

My biggest frame has 8.5" of seatpost showing. Throw a pound under a saddle sitting 9-10" above the frame, and it's that inverted pendulum effect. I can feel the weight. I DON'T LIKE IT. I have other options. I choose those.
Well why didn't you say so. LOL. Yes, not for everyone.
Old 06-21-20, 01:22 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Never had a problem... and I don't have Chicken Legs
That's cool, but I guess that you can count DrI and myself among those better endowed than you.
Old 06-21-20, 01:42 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
On my ride a few days ago this guy came in super handy:

I didn't want to bother expending a CO2 cartridge and there was station just around the corner. Worked perfectly at getting my tyre pressure back up after a small puncture. Thank you Orange Seal.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 06-21-20, 01:48 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22592 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
On my ride a few days ago this guy came in super handy:

I didn't want to bother expending a CO2 cartridge and there was station just around the corner. Worked perfectly at getting my tyre pressure back up after a small puncture. Thank you Orange Seal.
I am told that, in a pinch, you can use the plastic valve cap with the very top cut off.
Old 06-21-20, 01:57 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

That's cool, but I guess that you can count DrI and myself among those better endowed than you.
3rd leg?
Old 06-21-20, 02:00 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
In your jersey pocket?!
I can't put anything chocolate coated in my pocket or it'll turn in to a gooey mess.
Yeah, that does happen, I gotta admit. I generally chuck them in the fridge so that they are nice and cold - after 2 hours or so, they typically tend to be ok, especially as i try to wrap up my rides by 7:30am (gets too hot after that). But there certainty are days when they are molten and an absolute mess to eat.

But a man's gotta have principles, even if that means wiping chocolate off his face onto his gloves and bib shorts.
Old 06-21-20, 02:01 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
You should try using saddlebags - who knows, you may like them.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 06-21-20, 02:18 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
Yeah, that does happen, I gotta admit. I generally chuck them in the fridge so that they are nice and cold - after 2 hours or so, they typically tend to be ok, especially as i try to wrap up my rides by 7:30am (gets too hot after that). But there certainty are days when they are molten and an absolute mess to eat.

But a man's gotta have principles, even if that means wiping chocolate off his face onto his gloves and bib shorts.
My candy bar of choice is the ol' Pearson's Salted Nut Roll. It's got the sugar and salt that I want and no mess.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-21-20, 02:21 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

I miss the days when I could eat peanuts. Snicker bars are pretty great. Lately I've been opting for Strawberry Nutri-Grain bars. The don't melt, they're not sticky, they're cheap, and I don't have to choke them down like I do with Clif bars.

If I'm stopping somewhere for mid-ride candy, it's Milky Way-- you know, peanut-less Snickers.
Old 06-21-20, 02:50 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

I miss the days when I could eat peanuts. Snicker bars are pretty great. Lately I've been opting for Strawberry Nutri-Grain bars. The don't melt, they're not sticky, they're cheap, and I don't have to choke them down like I do with Clif bars.

If I'm stopping somewhere for mid-ride candy, it's Milky Way-- you know, peanut-less Snickers.
Why can’t you eat peanuts anymore? Allergic??
Old 06-21-20, 02:59 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Some years back, I got my official diverticulitis diagnosis, and lost carbonated beverages, nuts in solid form (all kinds) and anything high-acid (pasta sauce, orange juice, etc.) all in one day. Oh, and beans. I can't eat beans either.

The loss of peanuts/almonds makes selecting "ride snacks" kinda tough sometimes.
Old 06-21-20, 03:08 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Some years back, I got my official diverticulitis diagnosis, and lost carbonated beverages, nuts in solid form (all kinds) and anything high-acid (pasta sauce, orange juice, etc.) all in one day. Oh, and beans. I can't eat beans either.

The loss of peanuts/almonds makes selecting "ride snacks" kinda tough sometimes.
The internet is a terrible place to get medical advice. That said, most informed sources state that the connection between diverticulitis and foods like nuts/corn etc. is medical folklore and there is no good evidence to show a connection. YMMV.
Old 06-21-20, 03:18 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Who said anything about the internet? I was in urgent care for my third bout of the year of uncontrollable vomiting (always around the holidays!) and once the three liters of saline and healthy shot of anti-emetic was in me, I got X-Rayed. The tiny lady doctor brought up the film, and I said "It's diverticulitis, isn't it." She practically spun around and said, "It sure is." I said, "I get to keep this one for life, don't I?" to which she responded, "You sure do."

Informed sources can roll up their educated guesses real tight and insert them into their own orifice of their own choosing. If you've never thrown up until you're dehydrated, you don't really know. Beans give me (forgive the rhyme) gas that won't pass. I'm in agonizing abdominal pain for 8-12 hours. Nuts are almost guaranteed to result in a refund, dehydration, and trip to urgent care. Carbonated drinks just make me throw up a few times. There is a definitive difference between thinking you have something, and actually having to live with it.

Silver lining, of course-- my bacteria is up high in the digestive tract, so I get to throw up. Folks with it further down often end up needing surgery for impacted bowels. I'll just stick to not eating the things that make me throw up, and be glad it isn't worse.
Old 06-21-20, 04:19 PM
semroc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 62 Posts
Condoms are good to bring too, because ya never know.
Old 06-21-20, 05:05 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
Fair point.

I just couldnt be arsed carrying a lot of stuff.... I flat once or twice a year ( i just effed myself, didnt I?), and since my bar tape all black precisely for that reason (I love the look of white bar tape - i hate everything else about it), I dont bother. I admit it isnt logical.
Lol, yeah, white bar tape... did it once.
Likes For sfrider:
Old 06-21-20, 05:13 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by semroc
Condoms are good to bring too, because ya never know.
Makes me think of this...

Old 06-22-20, 01:16 PM
WinterCommuter

Bikes: 2014 Trek Farley, 1993 Gary Fisher Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Wow! I consider myself a minimalist, but you pack lighter. I have a quick stick, extra quick link, a couple patches, and chain/multitool. Obviously, we’ve all been sidelined with flats, but a loose cleat is super annoying. Seems to happen when it snows the first time and i break a chain about once a year: rode snot, salt, and dirt seems to break everything. For me the small chain tool/quick link weight beats scootering once or twice a year.
Old 06-22-20, 01:58 PM
rtalain

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2016 Cannondale Supersix EVO HM, 2020 Lynskey GR300

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

What's the issue with the velro strap.. enlighten me.
For me, I don't like that the velcro strap will eventually leave wear marks on your seat post. Most bike shops line their bike stands with old inner tubes to keep from scratching the seat posts, and I personally wipe down both my seat post and inside of my bike stand clamps to make sure my seat post doesn't get scratched whenever I put a bike on it. I know more than one person who left their saddle bag on the bike for a long time, only to be bummed when they finally took it off and saw the telltale marks on the seat post. I will acknowledge though, that there are lots of people who couldn't care less about a marked up seat post.
Old 06-22-20, 02:37 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by rtalain
For me, I don't like that the velcro strap will eventually leave wear marks on your seat post. Most bike shops line their bike stands with old inner tubes to keep from scratching the seat posts, and I personally wipe down both my seat post and inside of my bike stand clamps to make sure my seat post doesn't get scratched whenever I put a bike on it. I know more than one person who left their saddle bag on the bike for a long time, only to be bummed when they finally took it off and saw the telltale marks on the seat post. I will acknowledge though, that there are lots of people who couldn't care less about a marked up seat post.
I have 24,000 miles on a carbon seatmast. I remove the saddle bag every week when I clean the bike. I'll have to get a magnifying glass to double check but I don't remember ever seeing any scratches.
Old 06-22-20, 03:44 PM
rtalain

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2016 Cannondale Supersix EVO HM, 2020 Lynskey GR300

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have 24,000 miles on a carbon seatmast. I remove the saddle bag every week when I clean the bike. I'll have to get a magnifying glass to double check but I don't remember ever seeing any scratches.
For those of us who clean our bikes regularly, this is not a problem, as there is no opportunity for grit to accumulate between the velcro strap and the seat post. But I have a bike in my shop with an aluminum anodized seat post that has all of the factory markings AND anodize worn off to shiny bare aluminum by the velcro strap.
Old 06-22-20, 08:51 PM
SkyWave

Bikes: 1970 Gitane Tandem, OPUS CX Ultegra Di2 '14, MARINONI Retro SL Campagnolo '17, MARINONI Tourismo '00 Shimano 105, KHS Tandemania Cross Shimano

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
KISS or KISC ?

Originally Posted by pullings
I had been using a hard tool-pack with lots of stuff.
After years of not using most of the stuff I carried I scaled back on what/how I carried my stuff.
KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid!) approach wins out:
small zip-lock plastic snack bag.
Tube
CO2
CO2 inflator
Enlarged photo-copy of front-side of drivers license.....notes on emergency contact and medical condition.
$25.
Rubber bands wrapped around bag to keep it from slipping out of pocket.

KISS is just so wrong today, it can be improved by using student, staff as a I did when teaching or in this case Cyclist or Syclist to keep to the original.
Old 06-22-20, 09:09 PM
SkyWave

Bikes: 1970 Gitane Tandem, OPUS CX Ultegra Di2 '14, MARINONI Retro SL Campagnolo '17, MARINONI Tourismo '00 Shimano 105, KHS Tandemania Cross Shimano

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Tube Tip

Originally Posted by dr_max
Remove shrink wrap and elastic, then wrap in small plastic bag with elastic around bag to keep it compact. Elastic may damage tube otherwise and the tube is not totally protected by shrink wrap.
I actually unroll tube and shake in a bag with talc.
Talc reduces friction inside tire.
Old 06-22-20, 09:16 PM
pullings

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyWave
KISS is just so wrong today, it can be improved by using student, staff as a I did when teaching or in this case Cyclist or Syclist to keep to the original.
“The greatest enemy of clear language is insincerity.”
George Orwell

The idea of “right” and “wrong” can be deemed unacceptable speech and is criminal in Orwell's “1984”.
Fast forward 2020: if one from the silent majority speaks out-of-bounds of what the few consider "right" careers are ruined, or even worse.

Last edited by pullings; 06-22-20 at 09:46 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.