Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is your solution for riding in a spot with low reception?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What is your solution for riding in a spot with low reception?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-20, 02:16 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,856 Times in 6,071 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
You could tell him you would like to see him wind it up again when it runs down.
On the plus side, if you forget to charge your phone, as soon as it's got any charge in it, it has the right time. A manual wind watch, once wound down, needs to be reset from a standard clock.

Personally, I use my iPhone to go to the NIST time page, and set my watches based on that. I guess you might say I'm a technoluddite.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-08-20, 02:45 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I simply don't care! I don't let fear tell me where to ride, and if there's no cell phone coverage no big deal, just ride through it, eventually you'll get to an area that has coverage. I rode my bikes for over 30 years without ever carrying a cell phone, know why I did that? They weren't around yet! And guess what? I wasn't the only person who did that, none of us paid any attention to it.
Old 08-08-20, 02:48 PM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
One doesn’t really need a watch, then. If you wait until the sun is going down or up, west and east are going to be pretty obvious.

Yeah, but without the watch, how would you know which hand to point at the horizon with?
Old 08-08-20, 02:49 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 698 Times in 435 Posts
Never thought about cell reception when riding. Then again, I grew up and was riding bicycles before cell phones existed. Guess if I'd needed to call someone I'd have had to ask someone to use the phone in their home, or look for a pay phone (good luck with either of those these days!)
Old 08-08-20, 02:56 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Actually they do.
I'm confused.. something like this?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 08-08-20, 02:59 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Actually they do.
I sure hope that's about the direction of the vortex, not about the up-or-down direction of the flow.....

Old 08-08-20, 03:00 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by velopig
What a bunch of judgemental idiots!
So you're being judgemental about the judgementals?
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 08-08-20, 03:00 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxKatt
very simple. As it gets late in the day, using the hand your watch is strapped to, point at the setting sun. This is roughly west.

When you awake, again point your watch clad hand towards the sun. This will be roughly East.

combining these two calculation, one can extrapolate the other two compass points and navigate almost as well as one could using a sexton and abacus.

lol
Old 08-08-20, 04:05 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxKatt
Yeah, but without the watch, how would you know which hand to point at the horizon with?
You skip the watch and where the sun is setting...that’s west?
Old 08-08-20, 04:23 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Is it still west in the southern hemisphere? (j/k)
Old 08-08-20, 04:40 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
I believe the watch method is to help find a rough compass reading without having a compass, which will be different from where the sun sets depending on the latitude of the globe you are located and day of the year. Gotta admit, I've never used the watch method though.

For instance, this is the info for my area today.
Sunrise: 07:46
Sunrise Azimuth: 71°
Noon: 13:28
Noon Altitude: 76°
Sunset: 21:11
Sunset Azimuth: 289°

Check this out. You can change locations and the month of year to see the differences.
https://sollumis.com/

Last edited by FiftySix; 08-08-20 at 05:01 PM. Reason: having too much fun
Old 08-08-20, 04:58 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Where is OP ??...We're on the 9th page and OP has been MIA since page 1.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-08-20, 05:28 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Where is OP ??...We're on the 9th page and OP has been MIA since page 1.
He posts from his phone and is in a spot with low reception.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 08-08-20, 06:11 PM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by FiftySix
I believe the watch method is to help find a rough compass reading without having a compass, which will be different from where the sun sets depending on the latitude of the globe you are located and day of the year. Gotta admit, I've never used the watch method though.

For instance, this is the info for my area today.
Sunrise: 07:46
Sunrise Azimuth: 71°
Noon: 13:28
Noon Altitude: 76°
Sunset: 21:11
Sunset Azimuth: 289°

Check this out. You can change locations and the month of year to see the differences.
https://sollumis.com/
Yep, I see the usefulness of the proper watch method. I was hacking on the overly simplified version which was basically point your watch at the setting sun...that will be west...wait until sun up and point your watch to the sun, that will be east.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 08-08-20, 06:47 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
This post is for those who have made comments to the effect of "I don't need a phone."

First, just want to state a couple of things.
1. I'm a HS teacher now, and one of my very few classroom rules is that students must put away their phones before coming in, and are not to access them.
2. Once upon a time, I did some very sporting climbing and mountaineering. Part the ethos was the need to be able to self-rescue.

One day, after the invention of cell phones but prior to the ubiquity of smart phones, a friend of mine went climbing somewhere in less-accessible America. He and his partner for the day had a lengthy walk in just to the start of the route they were climbing.

Unfortunately, he had a bad fall. Multiple fractures, internal bleeding. His partner rappelled off, and ran downhill towards the car. En route he picked up a cell signal, and was able to reach a 911 dispatcher. This saved my friend's life, as they were able to send a helicopter to evacuate him and get him to a hospital. His partner returned to tend to him. (In a very sad twist, that partner would die the following year in a climbing accident).

I'm very glad he's still alive (so's he, although he verbalized slightly differently during his 8 bedridden months post-accident)
I really don't think of him as lacking in courage, and he was not a 'thrill jockey' climber (a breed I did not care for).

His risks were all self-taken, but road biking involves the ultimate joker in the deck: driver behavior.

I couldn't imagine the hubris involved in rejecting any/all things that could possibly save my life.

So, I bring my phone with me on rides.
Old 08-08-20, 09:36 PM
DreamRider85

Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Walk.

I've ridden thousands of kilometres without a phone ... 10s of thousands ... probably close to 100,000.

If you're too hurt to ride, that means you're too hurt to walk. We're talking an emergency here.
Old 08-08-20, 09:56 PM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by DreamRider85
If you're too hurt to ride, that means you're too hurt to walk. We're talking an emergency here.
If you’re worried about getting hurt, you might be better off just riding in your neighborhood. Or on a stationary bike.

I ride with a smart phone. If I did any touring I wouldn’t consider riding without one. But I also wouldn’t be bothered riding where there wasn’t coverage. No big deal.
Old 08-08-20, 10:25 PM
DreamRider85

Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
If you’re worried about getting hurt, you might be better off just riding in your neighborhood. Or on a stationary bike.

I ride with a smart phone. If I did any touring I wouldn’t consider riding without one. But I also wouldn’t be bothered riding where there wasn’t coverage. No big deal.

I don't know what to say to this. There aren't solutions for emergencies?
Old 08-09-20, 12:05 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

The same ones that existed before cell phones. Flag down a passing motorist or other cyclist. Walk to where there's service, or other help.

This is one reason why some of the other posters have been so snarky - because a lot of us rode miles and miles of country roads when there were NO cell phones. And sure, a lot of us have since started carrying one, because if we had an emergency and needed to call, it would be handy to have, but carrying a phone doesn't make you safe. And there's no guarantee your cellphone would still be working after a crash, either. You could fall on your phone in a crash and all the service in the world wouldn't matter.

Riding a bike on public roads carries a certain level of risk, which we all try to reduce as much as possible, and then we ride within the limits we are comfortable with. If you can't get comfortable with the idea of riding where there's no cell service, your riding will be pretty limited, because some of the best roads are where nobody lives, so there's no traffic. No people, no traffic, no need to build a tower.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-09-20, 02:44 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
You could also be to hurt to use a cellphone or even unconscious. Your cellphone may have been destroyed in the crash.

When I hit 60 years young a number of years ago, my niece got me a flip-phone and put me on her family plan. She did that because she was concerned about me riding way out in the country on very quiet roads with houses or buildings many miles/kilometres apart and with very little motor traffic. Sometimes I've come across a dead spot where there's no reception. Now if I were to crash or be hit by a vehicle driven by a driver who fled the scene, I'd be willing to bet that Ole Mr. Murphy would be there and it's be in that small area where there was no reception.

Had my niece not got me the cellphone and put me on her plan, I'd never have got one. Heck, I toured logging/mining roads in northern Ontario, Canada LONG before there were cellphones. I think of them as a nice backup but I sure would NOT rely on them.

Maybe you should consider getting a satellite phone for emergency use. LOL ;<)

Cheers
Old 08-09-20, 03:44 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Try not to get into emergency situations!
Likes For Machka:
Old 08-09-20, 05:12 AM
MattTheHat 

Solutions have already been given in this thread, have you not read it?
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 08-09-20, 07:12 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Virtual reality is the best solution. No need to leave your house.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-09-20, 07:50 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by Danhedonia
This post is for those who have made comments to the effect of "I don't need a phone."

First, just want to state a couple of things.
1. I'm a HS teacher now, and one of my very few classroom rules is that students must put away their phones before coming in, and are not to access them.
2. Once upon a time, I did some very sporting climbing and mountaineering. Part the ethos was the need to be able to self-rescue.

One day, after the invention of cell phones but prior to the ubiquity of smart phones, a friend of mine went climbing somewhere in less-accessible America. He and his partner for the day had a lengthy walk in just to the start of the route they were climbing.

Unfortunately, he had a bad fall. Multiple fractures, internal bleeding. His partner rappelled off, and ran downhill towards the car. En route he picked up a cell signal, and was able to reach a 911 dispatcher. This saved my friend's life, as they were able to send a helicopter to evacuate him and get him to a hospital. His partner returned to tend to him. (In a very sad twist, that partner would die the following year in a climbing accident).

I'm very glad he's still alive (so's he, although he verbalized slightly differently during his 8 bedridden months post-accident)
I really don't think of him as lacking in courage, and he was not a 'thrill jockey' climber (a breed I did not care for).

His risks were all self-taken, but road biking involves the ultimate joker in the deck: driver behavior.

I couldn't imagine the hubris involved in rejecting any/all things that could possibly save my life.

So, I bring my phone with me on rides.
Several years ago I spent a month in a southern fjord of Greenland climbing big walls. I wasn't entirely alone but I think it was frequently several days without seeing anyone. Especially if it rained.

I didn't think too much about it then but later in retrospect, even barring accidents, we should have brought a sat phone. Had my appendix gone bad on me, I may have died there.

So I understand what you are saying.

Haven't you also seen a trend of relying on the phone and rescuers available? I have. An entire days climb and descent, mapped out on a Gizmo that needs service and batteries to do it. The ability to call in a rescue with a sprained ankle or chilly night out? If you haven't tried to use a rope as a blanket, are you even a climber?

I think Pike's Peak had some real issues a while back from people getting tired and calling for a rescue instead of walking out.

I don't know how that relates to cycling, except for big empty adventures. Most bike emergencies are probably car related, in or near a city.
Old 08-09-20, 10:14 AM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
lol
Reflecting, I realize I actually meant "sextant." However, if you're trying to navigate with a sextant and an abacus, you might be just as well off with a sexton next to you praying for a way out.
Likes For MaxKatt:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.