Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Should I wear a mask?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Should I wear a mask?

Old 09-03-20, 11:17 AM
slickrcbd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Should I wear a mask?

Should I be wearing a mask when riding a bike?
Often at stop signs or red lights cars with their windows down pull up right next to me.
I do feel I should put a mask on when riding in Downtown Arlington Heights, IL because they have either closed the parking lane near restaurants or in some cases closed the streets entirely to cars in order to allow the restaurants space for outdoor seating. This means that people are eating right next to where I'm riding since I normally hug the curb.
However, outside Downtown, should I be wearing a mask all the time, or just when I stop and get off the bike?

I ask because the straps irritate my ears when combined with my helmet and glasses. Also I find I get out of breath much easier when wearing the mask.

Last edited by slickrcbd; 05-01-22 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Typos
Likes For slickrcbd:
Old 09-03-20, 11:38 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
I don't wear a mask when I ride, but keep in mind I'm always riding solo and I avoid everyone else as best as I can. I keep out of downtown where there is traffic and crowds.

Those people eating in the outdoor dining areas are all closer to each other than they are to you, unless you're actually right upon the curb. If in doubt, just ride a little further away if possible. Or ride on some other street.
Old 09-03-20, 12:33 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Probably not if you aren't riding next to a group of anyone whether they are in a car or on a bike or walking. The longer you are around the same person or persons, the more your risk increases. So if you are passing them or they you, I wouldn't worry too much. Unless perhaps a snot rocket hits you square in the eye. <grin>.

But you should try different types of masks out and see which work well for you while on the bike. A mask for an easy commute might not be the mask for a hard ride for fitness where you need to move a large volume of air with every breath.

I've found that neck gaiters don't work well for me when riding hard. Not for breathing though. It's because in the 90 and 95 F plus heat I ride in, they hold in too much heat on my neck and head. I had to remove one I tried within the first ten minutes of riding. Yet a pleated cloth form fitting masks works well for me as long as I have another to put on when it gets soaked with sweat.

I don't wear them much while riding though. I try to ride where it's sparse. If I see another going my direction I'll either pass them quickly or stay well behind. I do keep one or two with me though for times I might get in crowds or stop to go in someplace where they are needed/required.

Of course this is IMO. You really need to look for credible sources. I tend to agree with what USA Cycling put out, I'm not going to vouch for how credible they are, but the info seems reasonable..
https://usacycling.org/event-organiz...vent-resources
Those big squares are buttons to click into. The videos at the bottom were interesting too. Though some started off slow and boring, but got much better past the first half.
Old 09-03-20, 01:00 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
Only if you want to do training at simulated elevation. Isn't is all the same as those gym guys that wear those elevation training masks?

I don't wear masks and I also don't ride in groups. Besides, masks are not a replacement for social distancing and I'm kind of fuzzy on social distancing in the wind (or on bikes).
Old 09-03-20, 01:26 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by work4bike
Only if you want to do training at simulated elevation. Isn't is all the same as those gym guys that wear those elevation training masks?
Not all mask restrict breathing. If any you tried do, then you haven't found the right one.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-03-20, 01:31 PM
work4bike

Originally Posted by Iride01
Not all mask restrict breathing. If any you tried do, then you haven't found the right one.
How can putting a material over your mouth and nose not restrict breathing?
Likes For work4bike:
Old 09-03-20, 01:35 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I carry a mask in my jersey pocket, but only use it in required areas, or when I am going to be near people. That does not include when I am stopped at stop lights or signs, unless it is a busy area and I will be stopped for more than a few moments. Most of my riding is solo, in rural areas, where I do not have much vehicular or pedestrian traffic. I live in a beach resort area and this summer season has been, by far, the slowest summer in the 44 years I have been here. I do see quite a few cyclists and runners/walkers that have a mask or face covering around their necks, then pull it up over mouth and nose when getting close to others.
Old 09-03-20, 01:39 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

It's all about having enough surface area. That's why pleated masks tend to work better. They also need to be constructed so they don't collapse on your nostrils and mouth forcing you to only breath through that small section of surface area instead of the entire mask.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-03-20, 01:47 PM
work4bike

It's all about having enough surface area. That's why pleated masks tend to work better. They also need to be constructed so they don't collapse on your nostrils and mouth forcing you to only breath through that small section of surface area instead of the entire mask.
Call me skeptical, but I'd have to try it to see; and by "try", I mean cycle or run with it on, not just walk around.

If I understand you correctly, these pleated masks have more volume, because they expand, so the material is not up against your face. That makes sense, but again, I would think that if you're exercising that extra volume wouldn't make any difference, unless of course the mask was made out of mosquito netting I also wonder what kind of breathing would cause most pleated masks to collapse.
Old 09-03-20, 02:30 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I can only imagine that you didn't use masks regularly for any part of your career or elsewhere. Many of the cheaper masks and certainly a lot of the simple masks being sold or made by individuals handy with a sewing machine, will collapse around your mouth and nostrils when you inhale.

Usually not a problem for the short time they are needed and the low volume breathing demands of some activities or work.

And it's not volume of the material. It's surface area. In fact less volume of material but high surface area can be more desirable.

Nor does your material need to be as permeable as mosquito netting. You just need more surface area to get you the volume of air you need for breathing comfortably. But that is different for different materials, so some are better than others.

I've ridden 60 miles with a mask on. And I've since found better. But that was when it was cooler. Now in the heat it does take some effort and several masks. When they get wet with sweat, it's just like having a plastic bag put over your face. But I'd think there is some mask somewhere that can handle that.

Like others, I don't regularly ride with a mask on. But if I need it, I have it and I know it'll work well enough because I tried enough to find out what works for me.
Old 09-03-20, 02:36 PM
work4bike

I can only imagine that you didn't use masks regularly for any part of your career or elsewhere. Many of the cheaper masks and certainly a lot of the simple masks being sold or made by individuals handy with a sewing machine, will collapse around your mouth and nostrils when you inhale.

Usually not a problem for the short time they are needed and the low volume breathing demands of some activities or work.

And it's not volume of the material. It's surface area. In fact less volume of material but high surface area can be more desirable.

Nor does your material need to be as permeable as mosquito netting. You just need more surface area to get you the volume of air you need for breathing comfortably. But that is different for different materials, so some are better than others.

I've ridden 60 miles with a mask on. And I've since found better. But that was when it was cooler. Now in the heat it does take some effort and several masks. When they get wet with sweat, it's just like having a plastic bag put over your face. But I'd think there is some mask somewhere that can handle that.

Like others, I don't regularly ride with a mask on. But if I need it, I have it and I know it'll work well enough because I tried enough to find out what works for me.
Just out of curiosity, could you provide some links to the specific type of masks you're talking about?

What do you think of the issue of this year's TdF and the riders not wearing masks in the Peloton. Should they have just canx the TdF?
Old 09-03-20, 02:48 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I make my own masks from patterns I found on the internet and modified. They are two layers of scrap poly/cotton material my wife's had laying around for years. So I'm sorry, I won't provide that. Partly because I'm a huge believer in people need to learn how to do for themselves and a little bit of what works well for me may not work well for others.

As for the TdF, I'm okay with it. While I don't know to what extent the individual team members have to follow, there are protocols that they are going by. The UCI or whatever is in charge of the Tdf has covid protocols it's set as well as the government requirements they have to follow. Besides, the riders are all adults capable of making their own decisions. I'm impressed they seem to grab a mask as soon as they are off the bike.

Also impressed how many spectators have masks, though some areas there are notable exceptions.
Old 09-03-20, 07:49 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The Participants at Stugis have gone home to infect others..
Old 09-05-20, 01:18 AM
slickrcbd

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Probably not if you aren't riding next to a group of anyone whether they are in a car or on a bike or walking. The longer you are around the same person or persons, the more your risk increases. So if you are passing them or they you, I wouldn't worry too much. Unless perhaps a snot rocket hits you square in the eye. <grin>.

But you should try different types of masks out and see which work well for you while on the bike. A mask for an easy commute might not be the mask for a hard ride for fitness where you need to move a large volume of air with every breath.

I've found that neck gaiters don't work well for me when riding hard. Not for breathing though. It's because in the 90 and 95 F plus heat I ride in, they hold in too much heat on my neck and head. I had to remove one I tried within the first ten minutes of riding. Yet a pleated cloth form fitting masks works well for me as long as I have another to put on when it gets soaked with sweat.

I don't wear them much while riding though. I try to ride where it's sparse. If I see another going my direction I'll either pass them quickly or stay well behind. I do keep one or two with me though for times I might get in crowds or stop to go in someplace where they are needed/required.
I haven't gotten hit with snot like that since some kid on a passing school bus shot it at me over 20 years ago the year after I graduated from high school. It was the nose, not the eye. I have NO idea who the kid was, I didn't know any kids that age in my area. Why he would do that to a random stranger on a bike his bus was passing I don't know.
How can putting a material over your mouth and nose not restrict breathing?
I noticed that I was breathing harder after riding from the library to home, a distance of only 1.25 miles while wearing my mask. I decided to keep it on because I had to ride down either Wing street or Campbell, and both have outdoor seating right up to the curb, or in the case of Campbell the block of Vail connecting Wing to Campbell and the next block west of Campbell are closed to allow outdoor seating in the street. I would have to either move into the traffic lane like a car or pass right next to the diners. Considering the parking lane was closed on Wing to allow more room for diners, I wasn't comfortable on the now-narrowed street going into the lane proper as I'd be impeding traffic since cars would have to pass me by going into oncoming traffic.
normally don't really get that worked up for that trip, at least not in the last decade, I need to go at least twice that far to exert myself although I still can't go much more than 4 miles without rest, usually only 3-3.5.
Just out of curiosity, could you provide some links to the specific type of masks you're talking about?
I'm using cheap masks from Costco.
https://www.costco.com/fltr-general-...100675378.html

As for how I am going around, I'm in Arlington Heights, and I'm generally riding within 3-5 miles of the Rolling Meadows Courthouse (or Arlington Park racetrack., the track property starts right across the street from the courthouse. The border with Rolling Meadows is weird.).
This is suburban property, with traffic. I try to avoid busy streets or ride on the sidewalk, but the sidewalk is another thing. Pedestrians will move to the side to let me pass, but the sidewalk isn't six feet wide and they quite understandably often don't want to step in the grass if it might be muddy.
Hence the question about wearing masks.
That, and the stopped cars if I stop at the curb and somebody pulls up next to me with a passenger and the windows down.
Old 09-05-20, 01:37 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by slickrcbd
Often at stop signs or red lights cars with their windows down pull up right next to me.
Myself, I judge the need by risk group and proximity. On bike rides, I'm simply not close enough to others that I feel I need to worry; nor am I in a risk group that's particularly susceptible (above and beyond the average). So, for me, given where I ride, I don't cover my breathing with masks.

Others in different situations might view it differently, given their proximity and relative risk.

JMO
Old 09-05-20, 07:32 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,675 Times in 827 Posts
I do feel I should put a mask on when riding in Downtown Arlington Heights, IL because they have either closed the parking lane near restaurants or in some cases closed the streets entirely to cars in order to allow the restaurants space for outdoor seating. This means that people are eating right next to where I'm riding since I normally hug the curb.
However, outside Downtown, should I be wearing a mask all the time, or just when I stop and get off the bike?

I ask because the straps irritate my ears when combined with my helmet and glasses.
My feeling is that if you are in a situation that makes you think about wearing a mask...do it. I've been wearing a neck buff, and when I get to an intersection with people or situation where I think I want to mask...I mask.

Old 09-07-20, 08:35 AM
WalterVandervor

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm always wearing a Fightech dust mask when going out
Old 09-08-20, 02:43 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
I don't wear one over my mouth and nose while I ride, but have taken to keeping one looped over my ears to pull up if needed. I find trying to wear it over my mouth and nose while riding insufferably hot, but not bad over my chin..
Old 09-08-20, 03:12 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
I haven't gotten hit with snot like that since some kid on a passing school bus shot it at me over 20 years ago the year after I graduated from high school. It was the nose, not the eye. I have NO idea who the kid was, I didn't know any kids that age in my area. Why he would do that to a random stranger on a bike his bus was passing I don't know.

I noticed that I was breathing harder after riding from the library to home, a distance of only 1.25 miles while wearing my mask. I decided to keep it on because I had to ride down either Wing street or Campbell, and both have outdoor seating right up to the curb, or in the case of Campbell the block of Vail connecting Wing to Campbell and the next block west of Campbell are closed to allow outdoor seating in the street. I would have to either move into the traffic lane like a car or pass right next to the diners. Considering the parking lane was closed on Wing to allow more room for diners, I wasn't comfortable on the now-narrowed street going into the lane proper as I'd be impeding traffic since cars would have to pass me by going into oncoming traffic.
normally don't really get that worked up for that trip, at least not in the last decade, I need to go at least twice that far to exert myself although I still can't go much more than 4 miles without rest, usually only 3-3.5.

I'm using cheap masks from Costco.
https://www.costco.com/fltr-general-...100675378.html

As for how I am going around, I'm in Arlington Heights, and I'm generally riding within 3-5 miles of the Rolling Meadows Courthouse (or Arlington Park racetrack., the track property starts right across the street from the courthouse. The border with Rolling Meadows is weird.).
This is suburban property, with traffic. I try to avoid busy streets or ride on the sidewalk, but the sidewalk is another thing. Pedestrians will move to the side to let me pass, but the sidewalk isn't six feet wide and they quite understandably often don't want to step in the grass if it might be muddy.
Hence the question about wearing masks.
That, and the stopped cars if I stop at the curb and somebody pulls up next to me with a passenger and the windows down.
None of this is an issue if you take the lane.
Old 09-09-20, 11:10 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts

I ask because the straps irritate my ears when combined with my helmet and glasses.
i carry a mask in my jersey pocket in case I need to stop for. Offer or otherwise interact with people. Otherwise, I don’t wear one on the bike - I’m never close enough to anyone. If I overtake someone, I give them a reasonably wide berth, and I stop well short of pedestrian crossings
Old 10-13-20, 08:11 PM
Alan Bikes
Banned

Bikes: cruiser, bmx,road

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When walking outside, I wear a mask always unless there's literally no one around you. But If I am riding at 14 mph past someone, I don't wear a mask until I stopped at a red light or is stopped around a lot of people. The experts say you only need to wear a mask when you can't socially distance.
Old 10-13-20, 10:19 PM
roundypndr 
Been around the block

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 167 Posts
In my area, I only have to wear a mask when patronizing indoor businesses or when I'm unable to maintain social distancing outdoors in public areas.
Old 10-14-20, 02:27 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
The Participants at Stugis have gone home to infect others..
Sturgis

That they did.
Old 10-14-20, 02:37 PM
WT160

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts
I keep an N95 down around my neck and pull it up as necessary.
Old 10-16-20, 10:04 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
A hearty NOPE here.
Of course your magical masks are also constructed to account for the constant wind in your face and average amount of sweat associated with riding right?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.